The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burrow or bust

+5
JMP
DolFan 316
HalCHorn
rightchea
CarsonChris
9 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Burrow or bust Empty Burrow or bust

Post by CarsonChris Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:07 pm

Time to make hard decisions regarding the draft. Do we go all in for Burrow??

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Burrow or bust Empty Re: Burrow or bust

Post by rightchea Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:27 pm

Burrow is going to Cinny. If Cinny doesn't get Burrow the Redskins will because Shanahan doesn't like Haskins

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:09 am

This may not be the year to get a QB, after all is said and done. Herbert looks like a mid-first rounder but I think someone will take him higher. Tua is a big question mark; we will need the several months of information we will have on his rehab. Fromm would not be worth taking until the late first at the earliest IMO. Hurts could play his way into the mix but IMO would need to sit and learn during his rookie season.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:59 am

It's Burrow or Hurts as a fallback. No other QB will do, and that includes Tua.

Also, I have a feeling the Bengals will beat the Browns today. You saw it here first!

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:00 pm

Burrow will absolutely 100% not be available to the Dolphins.  He's going #1 to the Bengals and they aren't trading out of that spot.

Herbert is way too inconsistent, and Fromm sucks.  The Dolphins' only real chance to land a game-changing QB is Tua - and that's only if it seems like he'll play football again.  Hurts is the x-factor...but I just don't know if he's an NFL QB.

In short, the Dolphins are screwed when it comes to drafting a QB unless Tua gets a good medical report.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:19 pm

idk, I wouldn't write any QB off. There are a lot of QB that are coming out this draft and there is no way that there is only two really good players that can come in and make Miami into a winning team

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:24 pm

rightchea wrote:idk, I wouldn't write any QB off. There are a lot of QB that are coming out this draft and there is no way that there is only two really good players that can come in and make Miami into a winning team

In almost every draft there are only two QBs at the most who wind up having what you could call a good NFL career. In some drafts there are none. The last draft with three good QBs happened way back in '04.

So I'm not only writing the rest of these guys off, I'm scribbling.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:50 pm

rightchea wrote:idk, I wouldn't write any QB off. There are a lot of QB that are coming out this draft and there is no way that there is only two really good players that can come in and make Miami into a winning team

I don't know...I just think this QB class is looking weaker every week. Burrow is the clear cut #1. I suppose Herbert is #2 by default. After that, I'm not really seeing anything to get excited about. Again Hurts is a wild card...but I don't think he's going to make it at the next level. Maybe someone else becomes a star, but I'm not seeing it.

For all these reasons, I think using one of those firsts on Tua is the way to go...if he gets the green light.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:06 pm

My default guy is next year, and we have the draft picks to make it happen, if we're smart.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:42 am

If we stay at #2 overall, the correct pick there is Chase Young, unless we can get yet ANOTHER King's Ransom by trading down.

Young is going to be elite, he plays an elite position, and we have a huge need there - a perfect match - so I am saying as of right now if I'm Grier, I go ahead and make the pick without trading down.

Regarding the QB... yes I would be thinking about pushing more draft capital into the 2021 draft, and get our starter then. Go into next year with Fitz and Rosen again, I would be fine with that.

If that's the approach, then the 2020 draft becomes a bread and butter foundation draft. Heavy on offensive line, defensive line, defensive back. Linebacker a close follow on to those three priorities.

I would not take receivers, running backs, tight ends unless a really compelling prospect falls to us unexpectedly. And even then I'd lean towards the priorities I listed earlier.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:45 pm

It so hard to find someone that will come out and be great in the first round now a days. The idea is to find players that can contribute but it seems like you can find players in any round now. Good scouting and research is what makes teams great

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:49 pm

white1 wrote:If we stay at #2 overall, the correct pick there is Chase Young, unless we can get yet ANOTHER King's Ransom by trading down.  

Young is going to be elite, he plays an elite position, and we have a huge need there - a perfect match - so I am saying as of right now if I'm Grier, I go ahead and make the pick without trading down.

Regarding the QB... yes I would be thinking about pushing more draft capital into the 2021 draft, and get our starter then.  Go into next year with Fitz and Rosen again, I would be fine with that.

If that's the approach, then the 2020 draft becomes a bread and butter foundation draft.  Heavy on offensive line, defensive line, defensive back.  Linebacker a close follow on to those three priorities.  

I would not take receivers, running backs, tight ends unless a really compelling prospect falls to us unexpectedly.  And even then I'd lean towards the priorities I listed earlier.

Definitely Young at #2 - agree there.

And as much as it pains me to say it, QB may have to wait till 2021 if Tua drops off. The 2019 season was supposed to be all about getting the QB in 2020...but Tua's injury threw a wrench into that plan. I just don't see a potential franchise QB in this class after Burrow. I think you are correct, white - build the foundation and then find a way to get THE QB in 2021.

One note: not first round, but if Clemson running back Travis Etienne is on the board in round 2, I'd run the card up with his name on it. He's a perfect fit for the Dolphins offense, and he is going to be a star. Yes, we need to build the lines - but we also need playmakers.

We also have to see what happens in free agency - maybe we can sign an OL or two to allow us to focus elsewhere early in the draft?

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:43 pm

Another thought: Do we sign a veteran QB again? Say, Bridgewater or <gulp> - Tom Brady?

I just read an analysis that makes it sound like Brady is destined to continue playing outside NE. Compelling and interesting read, link here:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/are-these-tom-bradys-final-days-patriots

Would Brady even consider joining Miami? Thinking 2-3 year deal, at top-tier starting QB market value, while we continue with our plan of taking a rookie QB in either the 2020 or 2021 drafts. Hmm...

The money isn't the problem. Does he think we can compete? Would he agree to join a NE division rival? Would Grier/Flores want to do it.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:12 pm

white1 wrote:Another thought:  Do we sign a veteran QB again? Say, Bridgewater or <gulp> - Tom Brady?

I just read an analysis that makes it sound like Brady is destined to continue playing outside NE.  Compelling and interesting read, link here:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/are-these-tom-bradys-final-days-patriots

Would Brady even consider joining Miami? Thinking 2-3 year deal, at top-tier starting QB market value, while we continue with our plan of taking a rookie QB in either the 2020 or 2021 drafts.  Hmm...

The money isn't the problem.  Does he think we can compete? Would he agree to join a NE division rival? Would Grier/Flores want to do it.

Interesting to consider, but Brady isn't leaving New England. The Patriots don't have an in-house QB to replace him, and I don't see them starting a rookie if they end up with, say, Herbert. They'll find a way to make it work.

Would I want Tom Brady in Miami? While it is tempting to say "YES!", what would the point be? We're not winning a Super Bowl next season with or without Brady, so why spend $30 million on a declining, dead-end QB? Fitz and Rosen are both under contract at bargain-basement salaries...if we can't draft a starter I'd prefer to stick with what we have.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:39 pm

Miami could also consider doing what Titans are doing with Tannehill. find an average to above average QB that has a good squad around him. Doesnt mean he wont be reliable when needed but the QB is not the bread winner. Maybe that what Miami trying to do with Rosen?

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:04 pm

I would be OK with Fitz for another year and giving Rosen another year to make progress. Dude could still turn the corner, as bad as he looked earlier this year.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:45 pm

Jordan Love just declared for the draft, making the class a little more interesting.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:11 am

Jordan Love is suspect. he does good against lower class team but he did horrible against teams with strong defense. He can't handle the rush and he makes bad decisions.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:06 am

Love was on a bad team and should have stayed in college and transferred to a team with a legit offense. He has tons of talent, but needs tons of development. As it stands now, I see him as a 3rd or 4th rounder - but he'll likely go in the 2nd because he will 'wow' teams with his workouts. Big upside, but will he ever reach it?

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:57 am

Love: If he's a guy with a lot of talent and upside, but raw, that could be a perfect fit for the Fins.

He gets the same deal Rosen got. Beat Fitzpatrick if you want to start.

If not, keep working until you can beat him.

Also, I would carry 3 QBs if he's the pick - Fitz, Rosen and Love.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:15 pm

There are a few reasons I am optimistic about the upcoming draft, but its predicated on the simple fact that Tua declares and how he performs in Pro Days.

1) Miami has put itself in a position to be flexible with the draft this year and next. With the ammunition that we have and the cap space we have, QB is NOT a necessity right now. In the end, we can still roll Fitz on his final year.

2) Getting Young is just as good as getting a top QB. Again, with so many needs, the only way they fuck it up is drafting a Punter with the First round pick.

3) There may be a few QB's that will be available when F/A begins. It would be ironic, if Mariota twists it around and does for Miami what Tannehill is doing for Tennessee. Again with the flexibility in spending, we don't have to commit that kind of money for Mariota (just an example). Cam Newton may be available. I would count Rosen out either. Fitz just has more moxie given the situation. If given more time in the pocket and solid running game who knows what Rosen could do.

4)Defense wins championships. We have a defensive minded coach. Let's double down. if the QB isn't there than I'm sure there are several holes in defense we can fill.

With that being said my priorities is based on availability but I would go

1)QB/DE
2)DE/CB
3)RB
4)OL/DL

PS. Ive been eyeing Etienne for the longest time. really like that kid
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:30 pm

On veteran QBs...we don't need one. If we want a vet, roll with Fitz...he's cheap and a perfect mentor. And who knows...maybe Rosen develops. That's a long shot, but the team is supposedly putting a lot of effort into him.

My preference would be Tua, Fitz and Rosen...but if Tua doesn't do well on the medical side, I think I'm sticking with Fitz and Rosen with a late-round QB to compete with Rudock. Then go for broke in 2021 and get THE QB.

Regardless, no matter what happens at QB, we absolutely positively MUST fix the OL and pass rush.

And fix the running game with Etienne!!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:20 am

Miami has too many options when it comes to the draft. IMO, Miami could get one in the first round or can get one in a later round and develop him into a Franchise QB. The draft is going to be deep with QB and other positions this year that Miami could go any which way

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:43 pm

I don’t know if Hurts is someone I’d take before the 4th round. He can make plays with his legs for sure and he has the winning pedigree but NFL QB is not a tittle I would give out. Just don’t think that his skills directly translate to the NFL. More importantly I don’t think this staff has the right experience to coach him up.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:05 pm

Umix10 wrote:I don’t know if Hurts is someone I’d take before the 4th round.  He can make plays with his legs for sure and he has the winning pedigree but NFL QB is not a tittle I would give out.  Just don’t think that his skills directly translate to the NFL. More importantly I don’t think this staff has the right experience to coach him up.

Agree. I'm not convinced that Hurts is an actual QB. And you'd have to completely design an offense around him in order for it to have a chance of working, like the Ravens did with Jackson. I'm not sure the Dolphins want to make that type of wholesale change to their philosophy for a guy that may not ever pan out.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next