The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Dolphins mock draft - 14 picks

4 posters

Go down

My Dolphins mock draft - 14 picks Empty My Dolphins mock draft - 14 picks

Post by JMP Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:40 pm

Here are my Dolphins picks.  I'm not doing trades, so this will obviously get blown up if/when the Phins start wheeling and dealing.  This will give you an idea of the types of players I think the Phins should target.

Round 1 - Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama
Round 1 - Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville (CHANGED FROM: Austin Jackson, OT, USC)
Round 1 - Isaiah Wilson, OT, Georgia
Round 2 - Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB, LSU
Round 2 - Lloyd Cushenberry, OL, Michigan
Round 3 - Curtis Weaver, DE, Boise State
Round 4 - Antoine Winfield, Jr., S, Minnesota
Round 5 - Leki Fotu, DT, Utah
Round 5 - Bryce Huff, OLB, Memphis
Round 5 - Van Jefferson, WR, Florida
Round 6 - John Reid, CB, Penn State
Round 7 - Benny LeMay, RB, Charlotte
Round 7 - Rodney Clemons, S, SMU
Round 7 - Jon Runyan, OL, Michigan

Last edited by JMP on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

My Dolphins mock draft - 14 picks Empty Re: My Dolphins mock draft - 14 picks

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:30 pm

i would be generally pleased with that draft.

i'm not as high on Austin Jackson as some. i think he's got decent athleticism, but he's not a fit if the Phins are truly going to commit to a power running game. he'll be able to contribute as a pass protector right away, but he's a couple years away from a base strength perspective in the running game. i'd be happier with him in round 2 or 3, but i know he'll go higher.

Edwards-Helaire would make my very happy. i really like your Weaver, Winfield, Fotu and Jefferson picks, but are you sure they'll still be available where you having them being selected? i could see them all going a round higher, but you never know.

i really like Lucas Niang at OT, but then he got hurt - so perhaps later round flier on him wouldn't hurt. i'd also like to see C Zach Shackelford get selected (round 5 or 6) as think he's going to be a solid started in a couple years.

but overall, good job.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:18 pm

I originally had the Phins taking K'Lavon Chaisson at 18, but when I did my full NFL mock (not posted yet) I had him off the board before then. That's why I shifted to Austin Jackson. Jackson isn't my favorite either, but I do like him and I think he has the feet and athleticism to be an early starter at LT. To your point about power running - that's where Isaiah Wilson and Lloyd Cushenberry fit in. I think the Phins can sacrifice some "road grading" at LT if they have it at other OL positions.

I had Niang in round 4, but I took him off my Phins list when I saw multiple suggestions that he lacks work ethic...that won't fly in Miami anymore.

mercury22nathan wrote:i really like your Weaver, Winfield, Fotu and Jefferson picks, but are you sure they'll still be available where you having them being selected? i could see them all going a round higher, but you never know.

Good point, and I did battle with that for each of those guys. Here's my thinking:
--Winfield is very short and has an injury history, so I can see him dropping further than most people are predicting.
--Jefferson is a victim of being in a draft loaded with WR talent, so I could see him falling. I like him in the slot for Miami.
--I've seen Weaver all over the place in mocks, and I'm not real sure where he will go...3rd may be too late, but hard to say. I also like Alex Highsmith and Bradley Anae, and I'd consider them if Weaver is gone.
--Fotu will appeal more to some teams than others - in particular, those that want a run-stuffing NT with limited pass rush ability. I think he goes round 4-5.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Killah Sith Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:12 pm

Count me in as someone who would be totally cool if they went OT twice in the first round.

Killah Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:16 pm

Killah Sith wrote:Count me in as someone who would be totally cool if they went OT twice in the first round.

I honestly don't think the Phins will take two OL in the first...but I'd be totally on board with it. Fix the OL once and for all!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Killah Sith Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:25 pm

JMP wrote:
Killah Sith wrote:Count me in as someone who would be totally cool if they went OT twice in the first round.

I honestly don't think the Phins will take two OL in the first...but I'd be totally on board with it.  Fix the OL once and for all!  

Exactly my thought. Now maybe they address the other T spot on the second or third round with a guy they like or another player at 26 is just way higher on their board, a lot of possibilities. But like I said I'm totally down with drafting 2 OT's in the first round if they choose to. It'd be like the year we got Webb and Sims in the first two rounds.

Killah Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:54 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:i would be generally pleased with that draft.  

i'm not as high on Austin Jackson as some.  i think he's got decent athleticism, but he's not a fit if the Phins are truly going to commit to a power running game.  he'll be able to contribute as a pass protector right away, but he's a couple years away from a base strength perspective in the running game.  i'd be happier with him in round 2 or 3, but i know he'll go higher.

Edwards-Helaire would make my very happy.  i really like your Weaver, Winfield, Fotu and Jefferson picks, but are you sure they'll still be available where you having them being selected?  i could see them all going a round higher, but you never know.

i really like Lucas Niang at OT, but then he got hurt - so perhaps later round flier on him wouldn't hurt.  i'd also like to see C Zach Shackelford get selected  (round 5 or 6) as think he's going to be a solid started in a couple years.

but overall, good job.

What do you think of Mekhi Becton? That's who I would take with the second first rounder if the Jets don't grab him first.

It would be almost impossible for Grier to mess up this draft. Notice I said almost.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:37 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
mercury22nathan wrote:i would be generally pleased with that draft.  

i'm not as high on Austin Jackson as some.  i think he's got decent athleticism, but he's not a fit if the Phins are truly going to commit to a power running game.  he'll be able to contribute as a pass protector right away, but he's a couple years away from a base strength perspective in the running game.  i'd be happier with him in round 2 or 3, but i know he'll go higher.

Edwards-Helaire would make my very happy.  i really like your Weaver, Winfield, Fotu and Jefferson picks, but are you sure they'll still be available where you having them being selected?  i could see them all going a round higher, but you never know.

i really like Lucas Niang at OT, but then he got hurt - so perhaps later round flier on him wouldn't hurt.  i'd also like to see C Zach Shackelford get selected  (round 5 or 6) as think he's going to be a solid started in a couple years.

but overall, good job.

What do you think of Mekhi Becton? That's who I would take with the second first rounder if the Jets don't grab him first.

It would be almost impossible for Grier to mess up this draft. Notice I said almost.

I just changed my Dolphins mock to Becton at 18. I initially had Becton going earlier, but I ended up dropping Kinlaw down due to his injury red flags, and after changing things around Becton happened to be available at 18.

Could you imagine the Phins with two BEHEMOTH tackles??? Becton at 6'7" 364 and Wilson at 6'6" 350. That would be incredible!!!

I'm posting my full first round mock in a few minutes...
"

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down