The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Okay, Forget Watson...

+6
JEGnj
CarsonChris
HalCHorn
white1
JMP
DolFan 316
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Okay, Forget Watson... Empty Okay, Forget Watson...

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:46 am

He's old news now that Aaron Rodgers has decided to bitch about the contract that still has 3 years left on it and is starting to act like HE wants out.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/25/source-aaron-rodgers-wants-a-new-contract/

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/25/dont-dismiss-the-possibility-that-aaron-rodgers-will-play-elsewhere-in-2021/

I mean, he's about the same age as Fitz who a lot of folks here would like to see back, right? Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Okay, Forget Watson... Empty Re: Okay, Forget Watson...

Post by JMP Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:00 am

Aaron Rodgers is my favorite NFL player...there's not a player in the league that I enjoy watching more than him. The Packers would be beyond foolish to let him walk.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:11 am

FINALLY karmic balance would be restored for the Great Mistake of the '05 draft!!! cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:13 am

Ronnie Brown Forever! Embarassed

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:16 am

What's interesting me with Brady last year (made sure he could break out of NE), and both Watson and Rodgers this year, is that the NFL players may finally be exerting a modicum of control over their futures.

I won't apologize for it, my stance is this: NFL owners are billionaires and they have all the leverage. MOST players will leave the NFL banged up and none the richer. For the premier players in the league, they should have more options to leave franchises that have proven they are either not capable (Texans) or not interested (Bengals) in winning.

I'm really struggling with the concept of sympathizing with the billionaires who own the teams that essentially print money year over year. The players shoulder all the risk (injury), and it's the rare few that break through to the truly life-changing money. Contracts are one-sided. A player that outperforms his contract has very few tools and leverage to solve the problem. Teams have so many "outs" (including trade) that only the worse contracts present any issue from moving on from any given player.

In summary - I'm glad the players are being more assertive about their futures. If I were advising Joe Burrow, I would urge him to never sign a contract extension with Cincy. Play out the rookie deal, and make them tag the player until they can't and hit free agency. Then choose his team.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:50 pm

Trust me, you do NOT want the NFL to become the NBA, where a handful of players start blatantly ring-chasing and making sure they're on the same team, or hand-picking coaches. This is also the absolute worst possible time for players to be doing this with the reduced salary cap. As far as I'm concerned this is a long overdue market correction, like the Gamestop thing. And I will NEVER sympathize with millennials who demand to be the boss of everyone else under the guise of "social justice" or being "oppressed". I've already had enough of this business of players signing a huge multiyear deal and then demanding to be let out of it just a year or two later. That's not wanting to take control of their futures, that's just being greedy and selfish. And this narrative of teams being able to cut any player any time they want is false. Just ask the Texans.

So...go billionaires go cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:15 pm

Rodgers already won a power struggle with the last coach, got a coach to his liking, and now wants out after only two years with him?

For all the flak that the coach has caught for losing last week, Rodgers was the one with several yards of daylight on third and goal from the 8 who chose to force a pass......

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:21 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Rodgers already won a power struggle with the last coach, got a coach to his liking, and now wants out after only two years with him?

Thank you Hal, for proving my point cheers I never even thought about that!

These people have literally been brainwashed into a permanent state of negative emotion that they now consider so normal that feeling any other way sends them into psychotic shock.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:45 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
HalCHorn wrote:Rodgers already won a power struggle with the last coach, got a coach to his liking, and now wants out after only two years with him?

Thank you Hal, for proving my point cheers I never even thought about that!

These people have literally been brainwashed into a permanent state of negative emotion that they now consider so normal that feeling any other way sends them into psychotic shock.

You're welcome!

He's a great player, but he seems to find blame everywhere but in the mirror *frequently* IMO.  To be fair to him, though, anytime I see a report like this in the media my initial thought is clickbait/bullshit.  Could very well be the case here too--who's the unnamed (aren't they always?) "source"?  

If it isn't BS, though, two conference championship games in two years, the opportunities were there and there's nothing to complain about. Brady just got the best of him.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:21 pm

2 years with Rodgers, 10 years with Watson, or whatever Tua manages. 3-12 depending on how he performs year 2. It's a franchise decision.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:46 pm

The way Watson and Rodgers are acting almost makes me just want to stay with Timid Tua.

Almost...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:06 am

Am I alone in thinking the Lions clearly won this Stafford/Goff trade?

Goff is two years removed from a Super Bowl and is 26 years old. He's overpaid under this contract, but you can get out of it after two years if he doesn't regain his form. For taking it on you get a third rounder this year and extra first round picks the next two years.

Stafford is 33 and has yet to win a playoff game.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:12 am

HalCHorn wrote:Am I alone in thinking the Lions clearly won this Stafford/Goff trade?

Goff is two years removed from a Super Bowl and is 26 years old.  He's overpaid under this contract, but you can get out of it after two years if he doesn't regain his form.  For taking it on you get a third rounder this year and extra first round picks the next two years.

Not sure how that team can be called the Rams anymore after they just got FLEECED. (Rim shot.)

BTW if that was the price for STAFFORD, can you even BEGIN to imagine what the Texans will want for Watson?!?! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Do the Rams have a first round pick this year? Because the last one they did have they spent on...Goff. Five years ago. They've give up their next TWO firsts, so if they don't have one this year that's EIGHT FREAKING YEARS without picking in the first round!!! And people think the TEXANS are inept Shocked

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:53 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Am I alone in thinking the Lions clearly won this Stafford/Goff trade?

Goff is two years removed from a Super Bowl and is 26 years old.  He's overpaid under this contract, but you can get out of it after two years if he doesn't regain his form.  For taking it on you get a third rounder this year and extra first round picks the next two years.

Awful trade for the Rams - and I like Stafford a lot. Basically, they are trying to win it all this upcoming season - and if they don't they're screwed. And let's be honest...they're not going to the Super Bowl any time soon.

I understand that the Rams wanted to get rid of Goff's salary, but trading all those picks and getting an aging QB in return? Getting out of that horrendous contract isn't worth what they gave up.

The Lions are in a good place. They can either keep Goff and try to build around a young veteran QB that has already had a lot of success in the NFL, or they can trade him and get even more picks.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:54 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:

Do the Rams have a first round pick this year? Because the last one they did have they spent on...Goff. Five years ago. They've give up their next TWO firsts, so if they don't have one this year that's EIGHT FREAKING YEARS without picking in the first round!!! And people think the TEXANS are inept Shocked

Nope, the Rams do not have a first rounder in April. Absolutely insane.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:56 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:

BTW if that was the price for STAFFORD, can you even BEGIN to imagine what the Texans will want for Watson?!?! Shocked Shocked Shocked

I think you'd have to offer at least 3 firsts, and maybe 4, to even start the conversation. Especially if the Texans are telling the truth about wanting to keep Watson.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:41 pm

Hope the Stafford trade and Texan's demands puts Miami right out the the Watson game.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:18 pm

I'm just waiting for the inevitable Watson tweets where he calls this trade racist and cries about how it'll keep him from being traded Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:18 am

JMP wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:

Nope, the Rams do not have a first rounder in April.  Absolutely insane.

the Rams do not have a 1st round pick until 2024 due to this and the Jalen Ramsey trades. now with an older QB and an aging defense, the Rams are so screwed for the future.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:45 am

Found this interesting.

http://www.footballperspective.com/los-angeles-makes-another-blockbuster-jared-goff-trade/

For Detroit, this closes the book on the Stafford chapter. Did he disappoint in Detroit? I think the better summary is that he was a very good player saddled on a bad franchise. There are only four quarterbacks to start 130+ games with one team despite having a losing record: Stafford, Joe Ferguson, Jim Hart, and John Brodie. Here is every quarterback-team relationship with 130+ starts, with their collective winning percentage on the X-Axis and their number of starts on the Y-Axis. I have put Stafford, Ferguson Hart, and Brodie in team colors; yes, Stafford has the worst winning percentage of the group.

Imagine giving up all that and...not even winning a playoff game Shocked

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:14 am

Stafford has had a very interesting career. His numbers are borderline Hall of Fame worthy, but his career record is 74-90-1 and he's never sniffed a Super Bowl. He's always had a good/great receiving corps, but rarely if ever has he had a strong OL or running game and a strong defense at the same time.

I think he can have success with the Rams - but I just don't see a Super Bowl in his future. If anything, I think it's reasonable to believe that the Rams will get worse in the next couple of years, as they find themselves in salary cap hell. Spotrac has them at $43,810,627 OVER the 2021 cap right now - meaning that they will have to dump some good players just to get under.

Basically, I think the Rams are a disaster right now, and no matter how good Stafford is I don't think it will help.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:01 am

apparently Mr. Stafford was a popular target.

...a report from ESPN’s Josina Anderson shows that Washington’s offer actually might have been better than what Detroit ended up taking.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-washington-offer-matthew-stafford-182134196.html

but despite however many draft picks the formerly-known-as-Redskins offered, they didn't have a viable starting QB (Goff) to sweeten the deal. but now Washington is emerging as the lead player should Houston change its mind about trading Watson...

In the end, it doesn’t really matter what Washington offered, because Stafford is in LA. Now we can turn our focus on Deshaun Watson and feel comfortable that Ron Rivera is doing everything he can to land a big fish in D.C.

...but i still don't see anyway that the Texans deal Watson.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:42 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:

...but i still don't see anyway that the Texans deal Watson.

Agreed. If they keep him, they can build a team around a successful young QB. If they trade him, then they have to hope and pray that they can find another high quality QB...and as we know, that's MUCH easier said than done. It just doesn't make sense to trade him regardless of what they get in return.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:58 pm

Just mind-boggling IMO.

I never thought Goff was THAT GOOD anyway, but this is perplexing all the way around.

I guess the Lions had cap space and were willing to take on Goff's ginormous contract for the draft picks?

And the Rams think they don't need the draft picks and with the cap room they get, they can be competitive?

The draft is a crapshoot for sure, but some of these personnel moves of late have smacked of the old "quitting my job because I just bought a lottery ticket that I KNOW is gonna be a winner" type thinking!

I sure hope the Phins stand pat and take advantage of some team (or teams) that are looking to buy a lottery ticket or two!

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:02 pm

Don't worry guys. Dolphins are going to trade Tua straight up for Watson. One franchise caliber QB for another.

Who gets the better deal in that scenario?

Why would the Dolphins even consider trading Tua if he is the answer? Is it what he showed or failed to show last year?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next