The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins coaching staff news and rumors

+4
mercury22nathan
DolFan 316
white1
JMP
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Dolphins coaching staff news and rumors - Page 3 Empty Re: Dolphins coaching staff news and rumors

Post by JMP Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:34 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
white1 wrote:The players - by the way - preferred Alexander and there was a possibility he could have been elevated to DC.

and Omar Kelly says...

“I can tell you this as a fact,” Kelly said on an episode of his YouTube show “X’s & Omar.” “Players on defense are not very pleased with Josh Boyer being named defensive coordinator. We will see what happens here because they know that Boyer’s scheme, concepts, approach did not lead to success last year.”

Kelly has stated both this episode and in the past that when Miami’s defense stepped up during the second half of the season, it was Flores who was actually calling the plays.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-dolphins-defenders-aren-t-193127021.html

i just hope pushing McDaniel to keep Boyer doesn't turn out to bite the team in the ass.

I have a feeling it's just one or two players that said something to Omar. I don't think it's an issue. But I guess we'll see.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Dolphins coaching staff news and rumors - Page 3 Empty Re: Dolphins coaching staff news and rumors

Post by JMP Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:39 am

white1 wrote:
Agreed, but I'm OK with prioritizing the building of the offense this season, and keeping Boyer for now. We'll see what happens, but I'd be perfectly happy in year one if McDaniel can build a legit offense but the D takes a step back. I'd love to add Fangio next offseason...

Totally agree on this take.

By the way... take this for what it's worth, I am NOT a journalist and haven't done any "digging to confirm".

A man on my team has a cousin who works directly for Steve Ross.  Clearly, he gets some good tidbits in talking Fins with the guy.  Anyway here is what I have heard.  Boyer has successfully built a good relationship with Tom Garfinkel.  This is a large part of the reason he was retained.  The rumors we've heard were reinforced.  The defensive game planning and game calling was largely handled by Flores and Alexander given the struggles over the first half of the season.  The players - by the way - preferred Alexander and there was a possibility he could have been elevated to DC.

However, the Boyer relationship with Garfinkel killed that possibility.

If true, it's an interesting view into the politics of Miami's front office.

I also think if Boyer's defense is bad this year, relationship with Garfinkel or not, there's no way this team will hamstring its new head coach with a bad defensive coordinator.  As long as the offense is showing improvement and scoring points, if McDaniel wants Fangio next offseason he will get him.

Garfinkel has definitely gained power the last few years, and he's done a lot of great off-field stuff for the Phins - especially with the stadium. Not sure he should have much, or any, input into what happens on the field.

I also read somewhere that Ogbah credited Boyer with play-calling duties during the winning streak...so who knows what actually happened? Either way, I think the "players hate Boyer" story is overblown and it wouldn't surprise me if somehow Flores is behind it. I'm serious...I don't trust that piece of crap at all, and I could totally see him trying to sabotage the Phins even more than he's already tried to do.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:25 am

I agree... the assembled offensive staff should be able to get the O_line working at the very least.  I suspect this staff could make SOME of the Phins current Oline play at a "decent" level.

We still have QUESTIONS about Tua though....  That's just where we are at. Maybe McDaniel can FINALLY answer those questions for us.

On DC - Boyer tries to play it safe it seems. He did not do as much disguising and especially the disguised blitzes that were so disruptive after Flores took over calling the D. IF...IF the Phins can get an EDGE RUSHER who makes other teams have to scheme to stop him, that will free up some of the other D-line for putting pressure on the opposing QB...theoretically.  

That amoeba D works unless the the other team is stout enough on the Oline to cram it down your throat. It would be much more effective if you could use the amoeba as a change of pace D and the regular D could get pressure on the QB.

Who the NEEDED Edge Rusher is....  Phillips... He SHOULD be better in his second year.  Ogbah...He is decent but if they pay him top EDGE Rusher pay, that is a mistake IMHO. But... There are not many EDGE RUSHER Free Agents who will be cheaper, or younger, so...

No, I think they need to make Edge Rusher a PRIORITY in the draft. There APPEAR to be some very talented EDGE RUSHERS available late in the first to mid second round. If the Phins decide to go that way.

A good edge rusher that changes how the opposing offense has to scheme to face the Phins D would make Boyer's job so much easier. It may not make Boyer any better a DC, but... A quality Edge Rusher makes the D that much better.

I have read Grier has ingratiated himself with Garfinkel as well. After some thought on the matter, I MAY be ready to agree with FLORES ( PUKE!!!) on this issue and say it is time for Garfinkel to GO!!

When you let personal feelings interfere with the job you USUALLY have made a monstrous mistake.  Shula made the same mistakes in his unwillingness to cut Olivadotti and other under-performing Asst Coaches. And now, Garfinkel is making the same mistakes?

THIS... THIS... is why the Phins have been FLOUNDERING IN SQUALOR or ABJECT MEDIOCRITY for decades IMHO. Get some PROFESSIONALS in to run the organization Professionally!

Geeze!
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:48 am

The problem with making edge rusher a priority is that there are so many other needs, and so few draft picks to fill them (thanks, Grier). The Fins currently have no picks between 47 and 100 Shocked because Grier saw fit to give away this year's 3rd for Eichenberg Evil or Very Mad

Just off the top of my head this team needs (deep breath) at least two new WRs, at least two new O-linemen, a new backup QB, and at least one new LB. Another RB and LB and a third WR and O-lineman would be nice. Then you can think about edge rusher.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:38 pm

And now the Phins add Pat Surtain to the coaching staff!!!!

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/18/dolphins-hiring-patrick-surtain-sr-as-defensive-assistant/

One of the best cornerbacks in Dolphins history is returning to the franchise.

According to multiple reports, Miami is hiring Patrick Surtain Sr. as a defensive assistant working with the secondary.

The Dolphins are effectively turning back the clock to the late 90s and early 2000s with their secondary coaches, as Surtain will pair with Sam Madison to train the club’s defensive backs.

I love what McDaniel is doing, bridging the gap between past Dolphins greats and the current team. cheers

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:40 pm

PFT reports that the Dolphins have announced hiring of coaching staff: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/18/dolphins-announce-coaching-staff/

Lemuel Jeanpierre was retained as assistant OL coach.

I'll guess he was simply in over his head last season, and will hope he learns a lot under the new staff which boasts a ton of OL coaching experience - and success.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:43 pm

Boyer AND Jeanpierre retained??? I don't like the sound of that affraid affraid affraid

Let me guess...Jeanpierre is in tight with one of Grier, Garfinkel or Ross as well?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:14 pm

While surprising, I'm fine with Jeanpierre as an assistant. As long as the OL coach is good, I don't really care who the assistant is.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3