The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATE: McDaniel hired! [Thread for new head coach news and rumors]

+5
finfanatic
mercury22nathan
DolFan 316
white1
JMP
9 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

UPDATE: McDaniel hired!  [Thread for new head coach news and rumors] Empty UPDATE: McDaniel hired! [Thread for new head coach news and rumors]

Post by JMP Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:09 am

The Phins apparently have requested permission to interview Bills OC Brian Daboll.

There are also rumors that the Phins have some interest in Byron Leftwich.

Last edited by JMP on Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

UPDATE: McDaniel hired!  [Thread for new head coach news and rumors] Empty Re: UPDATE: McDaniel hired! [Thread for new head coach news and rumors]

Post by white1 Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:20 am

There are also rumors that the Phins have some interest in Byron Leftwich.

Daboll sounds like he did some legitimately good work in developing Josh Allen. A couple warnings: He's from the Patriots tree so that's in his background. The Buffalo offense did not finish the season all that strong, is there a fundamental problem teams are starting to exploit?

Regarding Leftwich.... my advice would be to maybe avoid OCs who look good with a Hall of Fame QB on the field? Seems reasonable to me.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

UPDATE: McDaniel hired!  [Thread for new head coach news and rumors] Empty Re: UPDATE: McDaniel hired! [Thread for new head coach news and rumors]

Post by JMP Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:41 am

I do have those same concerns with Daboll. I fear he may fall into the 'good coordinator, bad HC' category. I also don't like the way he handles the running game in Buffalo.

Leftwich is intriguing because he does have an excellent reputation. I don't like that he he has no HC experience, but he calls plays for a high-powered offense - that was high-powered even before Brady got there. From what I understand, he is the one that got Brady to buy-in to a new offense, and he actually changed the existing offense to make it a hybrid of his concepts and Brady's concepts. That type of flexibility is intriguing to me. But - running a strong offense with an all-star cast doesn't tell me what he can do with a less talented group. Like I said - intriguing, but I wouldn't give him a HC job just yet. I think he'll make a good HC someday, but I don't want another guy that has to learn on the job.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:11 pm

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
The #Dolphins put in a request to interview #49ers OC Mike McDaniel for their head coaching job, per source.

The Yale grad is Kyle Shanahan's longtime right-hand man and run-game guru.
11:51 AM · Jan 11, 2022

Definitely a rising young coaching star, from an offense that would fit Tua perfectly. But is he ready??

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:14 pm

Bears interviewing Flores and Pederson.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:39 pm

It's early in the process, but I have to admit that I'm getting a little anxious about not hearing "Dolphins schedule interview with Pederson". bounce

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:49 pm

It's early in the process, but I have to admit that I'm getting a little anxious about not hearing "Dolphins schedule interview with Pederson"

Yeah, we've got time. It might not even get reported since no permission required to interview him.

Would be odd if he doesn't even get a chance. I mean, he has to be considered more qualified than either Daboll or the SF guy, right?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:50 pm

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
The #Dolphins put in a request to interview #Cowboys DC Dan Quinn for their head coaching job, per source.

Four teams have sent out interview slips so far, and DQ is on all four lists.
2:37 PM · Jan 11, 2022

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:00 pm

Quinn is not a bad candidate, IMO. Evidence by all the attention he is getting.

Will he succeed? I don't know. Depends on what he learned during his tenure in Atlanta, and if he can improve where he was weak.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:23 pm

white1 wrote:Quinn is not a bad candidate, IMO.  Evidence by all the attention he is getting.

Will he succeed? I don't know.  Depends on what he learned during his tenure in Atlanta, and if he can improve where he was weak.

I'd take Quinn...but only if he hires Pederson as his OC! Cool

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:31 pm

Quinn "tree" is showing some success so that's a good sign.

Shanahan was on his staff, as was McDaniel.

I recall a couple other names I recognized but can't remember them now.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:39 pm

white1 wrote:Quinn "tree" is showing some success so that's a good sign.  

Shanahan was on his staff, as was McDaniel.

I recall a couple other names I recognized but can't remember them now.

McDaniel has been with Shanahan for a long time, so that is one thing that really intrigues me about him. I would expect a very creative, productive offense with McDaniel - and one that could effectively run the ball.

I do think Quinn is a very good defensive coach and as you said it is likely he has learned a lot since his failed head coaching gig.

The key with any of these guys is really their ability to build a coaching staff.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:41 pm

JMP wrote:Bears interviewing Flores and Pederson.

I can totally see Flores getting hired there. The Bears will want to virtue signal by hiring a black coach (and may even be pressured by the NFL to do so) and after Nagy they'll actually be wanting a defensive guy since teams tend to hire the complete opposite type of coach from the one they just fired. And I wish Flores well.

white1 wrote:
It's early in the process, but I have to admit that I'm getting a little anxious about not hearing "Dolphins schedule interview with Pederson"

Yeah, we've got time.  It might not even get reported since no permission required to interview him.

Would be odd if he doesn't even get a chance.  I mean, he has to be considered more qualified than either Daboll or the SF guy, right?

The media DESPISES Pederson because he had the horrible timing of tanking the finale right when the media suddenly decided that tanking was a heinous crime against humanity. The media wants him blackballed altogether. If the Fins even interview him, brace yourselves for the media firestorm. Ross will be labeled as the most evil man since Hitler. You don't fire a black coach and then hire someone the media hates in today's world without consequences. The media might even demand the Fins be docked their entire draft. Yes, I'm serious. (But Pederson really is more qualified than anyone else the Fins will want.)

I will also say that neither Zac Taylor (the Fins QB coach under Philbin) nor Kliff Kingsbury (no NFL experience whatsoever before the Cards hired him 3 years ago) seemed remotely qualified to be head coaches, and look at them now. Taylor's still just 38 Shocked Sean McVay's actually still just 35 Shocked Shocked Shocked and he's already reached a Super Bowl and done far better with the Rams than Jeff Fisher ever could. It makes Grier look even worse that he can't find someone like that, since those guys are obviously out there.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:21 am

Phins also requested permission to talk to Vance Joseph and Kellen Moore.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:35 am

Phins also requested permission to talk to Vance Joseph

Oh boy. He fits the one requirement of having head coaching experience. However, a two year stint that was really, really bad makes it hard to believe he's a guy that can be really good his second time around.

Pederson won a Super Bowl and Quinn got his team to one. Those are the kind of fired head coaches I'm interested in. Not a guy that won 10 games over two years.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:36 am

i've gotta cuple questions about this coaching search...

Grier wasn't fired. Or might he be depending on the coach? in other words, are the Dolphins only selecting from a pool of coaches who are willing to work with Grier as the GM? What if a stellar (in Ross' eyes) candidate (Harbaugh) didn't want to work with Grier - or wanted power over Grier? If Grier is involved in the selection process, I doubt he's going to select someone who might usurp his power. Did not Ross say the QB decision is up to whoever becomes the coach? does this not imply power above Grier?

second, what about all the coordinators and assistants. as far as i know, none of them have been fired. in fact, they are all still listed on the Phins website. does the incoming coach have the freedom to select his staff? some of his staff only? is the incoming coach expected to accept some of the current staff? just seems odd as some of the current staff might want to be looking for jobs elsewhere.

mercury22nathan

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:43 am

mercury22nathan wrote:i've gotta cuple questions about this coaching search...

Grier wasn't fired.  Or might he be depending on the coach?  in other words, are the Dolphins only selecting from a pool of coaches who are willing to work with Grier as the GM?  What if a stellar (in Ross' eyes) candidate (Harbaugh) didn't want to work with Grier - or wanted power over Grier?  If Grier is involved in the selection process, I doubt he's going to select someone who might usurp his power.  Did not Ross say the QB decision is up to whoever becomes the coach?  does this not imply power above Grier?

second, what about all the coordinators and assistants.  as far as i know, none of them have been fired.  in fact, they are all still listed on the Phins website.  does the incoming coach have the freedom to select his staff?  some of his staff only?  is the incoming coach expected to accept some of the current staff?  just seems odd as some of the current staff might want to be looking for jobs elsewhere.

Grier isn't going anywhere. Maybe he'd get canned if Harbaugh was hired, but Harbaugh isn't happening. There is no other available candidate that is in the position to demand full control or request their own GM.

I don't think the rest of the coaching staff will be officially let go until a new coach is hired. Typically in these situations, the coaches are free to leave on their own (for example, if Flores gets a new job and wants someone from the Phins) but when a new head coach is hired he decides who he wants to keep, if anyone, from the current remaining staff.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:58 am

With Ross calling the shots, all you can count on is him being close to doing something extra-ordinarily stupid and monstrously damaging to the perception of the Phins at any moment.

I would not doubt he hires a HC, who wants another GM, who gets hired and then sacks everyone and starts over!

I suspect if the guy Ross and Grier want has any other options, he will not come to Miami.
finfanatic
finfanatic

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:44 pm

I guess Pederson or Quinn would be my choice thinking 2nd time around would make them better. Harbaugh YES and brings credibility. I love Bowles and think he is one of the best DCs out there but just a gawd awful HC. Not in the mood for another chance on the next great HC.
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:36 pm

JEGnj wrote:I guess Pederson or Quinn would be my choice thinking 2nd time around would make them better. Harbaugh YES and brings credibility. I love Bowles and think he is one of the best DCs out there but just a gawd awful HC. Not in the mood for another chance on the next great HC.

There is a part of me that would love to see the Phins get one of these young, offensive genius head coaches that take the league by storm with their creativity and innovation, but it's just too big of a crapshoot. I'd prefer to get a guy that has been there, done that and hopefully learned from previous mistakes. But again - it really comes down to building a staff. If a young guy like Mike McDaniel, for example, has the league contacts and ability to hire legit coaches, maybe it could work??

I don't know...just get it right!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:56 pm

right now my preferred hire would be Pederson as HC with Fangio as his DC.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:04 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:right now my preferred hire would be Pederson as HC with Fangio as his DC.

THIS!!!! X1000

That would be incredible.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:10 pm

The funny thing about Mike McDaniel is that he's only 5'9" and looks like he works for Best Buy's Geek Squad. He's also a recovering alcoholic.

BUT...

He's a Yale graduate (and played WR there), is considered brilliant, and has worked under the Shanahans (both Mike and Kyle) for a very long time. Some people say he has a genius mind for offense, in particular the running game, and his creativity and innovation are off the charts.

I guess the biggest question is: can a 5'9" geek lead an NFL team? He certainly has the smarts, but can he be tough/intimidating when he needs to be? Otherwise, he's my choice IF we go the 'inexperienced young coach' route. Not my top preference, of course - I want Pederson - but I'm not making the decision! LOL

Here's an article about McDaniel:
https://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/12118/12122495/mike-mcdaniel-the-unsung-genius-behind-the-san-francisco-49ers-running-game

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:13 pm

JMP wrote:I guess the biggest question is: can a 5'9" geek lead an NFL team?  He certainly has the smarts, but can he be tough/intimidating when he needs to be?  Otherwise, he's my choice IF we go the 'inexperienced young coach' route.  Not my top preference, of course - I want Pederson - but I'm not making the decision!  LOL

See my post in the NFL forum about Staley. Dude looks 16 and that doesn't stop the media from drooling all over him.

Also, Vince Lombardi was around 5'6". Just sayin'.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:45 pm

IG: JosinaAnderson
@JosinaAnderson
I'm told the #Dolphins have requested #Bills defensive coordinator/ assistant head coach Leslie Frazier to interview for their head coach vacancy, per league source.
9:00 PM · Jan 12, 2022

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next