The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

William Jackson III?

5 posters

Go down

William Jackson III? Empty William Jackson III?

Post by HalCHorn Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:49 pm

I'd certainly look into it, personally, since it looks like Jones may end up on IR for the season at this point.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2022/10/14/dolphins-william-jackson-iii-trade/

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

William Jackson III? Empty Re: William Jackson III?

Post by JMP Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:20 pm

I guess it would depend on what Washington is willing to eat with the contract $, because his base salary is $5 million this season and $9.25 million next season. No way we're paying that to another corner, unless there's an easy way out of the Jones contract in the offseason.

I'd be all over it if it doesn't cost a high pick and the money works out - he's a good player for sure.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:40 pm

no thanks. after being a 1st round pick, Jackson struggled for 5 years in Cincinnati to crack the starting lineup. the Bengals eventually let him walk in FA where Washington overpaid for an average-at-best talent. he recorded only 2 interceptions (after only getting 3 in 5 years in Cincy) in his 1st year in Washington and has been subsequently benched in Game 5 of this his 2nd year in DC. he's a zone corner (an average one) who is not a scheme fit for Miami.

Oh and, Miami has already committed far too much salary cap to the corners. i'm not sure throwing even more (he's on a 3yr/$40.5M deal) for a guy who would probably slot somewhere below Needham on the depth chart would be worth it. and its not like Miami is "one player away" from fixing the issues on defense. actually the resources need to be spent up front on the pass rush - not necessarily on the back end. another corner is just one more guy who is gonna get beat when QBs have all day to through against them.

most great defenses are built from the inside out and start with a strong interior core. Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas both will tell you that they did what they did because of Tim Bowens. Willie McGinest and Teddy Bruschi will say the same about Vince Wilfork. I could draw about 100 other similar comparisons. the current Dolphins defense seems to have been constructed in reverse from the backend forward with no elite pass rusher and LBers as after thoughts. i fear the whole thing may need to be revamped.

mercury22nathan

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:56 pm

Great analysis, merc.

I do know this much: we (desperately) need another boundary corner if Jones isn't coming back this season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:35 pm

JMP wrote:I do know this much: we (desperately) need another boundary corner if Jones isn't coming back this season.

oh JMP, please don't take this the wrong way, but way back in August...

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com/t2682-updatedphins-sign-lb-de-trey-flowers

i said:

mercury22nathan wrote:does anyone truly trust that Byron Jones is going to be fully healthy and ready to go by the season opener? and apparently Needham went down in practice today and left the field with a trainer and did not return. and of course Crossen has been sidelined this week with a "minor" injury. and Trill being on IR. should we be concerned with the thin CB ranks?

and then you said:

JMP wrote:...and we have several young corners that have looked good this camp. So I'm not as worried about backup CB as others seem to be.

sorry. couldn't resist. Razz

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:06 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:I do know this much: we (desperately) need another boundary corner if Jones isn't coming back this season.

oh JMP, please don't take this the wrong way, but way back in August...

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com/t2682-updatedphins-sign-lb-de-trey-flowers

i said:

mercury22nathan wrote:does anyone truly trust that Byron Jones is going to be fully healthy and ready to go by the season opener? and apparently Needham went down in practice today and left the field with a trainer and did not return. and of course Crossen has been sidelined this week with a "minor" injury. and Trill being on IR. should we be concerned with the thin CB ranks?

and then you said:

JMP wrote:...and we have several young corners that have looked good this camp. So I'm not as worried about backup CB as others seem to be.

sorry.  couldn't resist.  Razz

LOL I put too much stock in preseason performance!

I expected more from Crossen. He's been OK, but just too inconsistent. Kohou has done very well for an undrafted free agent from a small school, but also too inconsistent. Needham is excellent in the slot...not so much at boundary. And Iggy...well...yeah.

Aside fro coverage, one of the biggest issues is that no one in the entire secondary gets INTs. We NEED to force turnovers to help out an offense led by a 3rd string QB!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:27 am

Digging a bit deeper into Jackson's career, he was primarily a press corner in Cincinnati. He's big, strong and fast, and with the Bengals opponents rarely threw to his side of the field. He's played primarily zone in Washington and hasn't been as good.

I think he's worth a look if we can get him for a 6th or 7th and the money isn't prohibitive. But I don't see it happening.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:58 am

I expected more from Crossen. He's been OK, but just too inconsistent. Kohou has done very well for an undrafted free agent from a small school, but also too inconsistent. Needham is excellent in the slot...not so much at boundary. And Iggy...well...yeah.

Consistency will come with experience. Crossen and Kohou have "flashed" enough talent and made enough plays to make me think there is potential to work with.

Iggy, however... after three seasons we should be seeing more. His future is all but decided barring a miraculous breakout later this year.

Needham was a great find, and I like the future prospects for Kohou and Crossen. Whoever is scouting corners, they are doing an excellent job. Remember, the first three rounds belong to the GM. The scouts work is done late in the draft, or after.

Hmmm... what am I trying to say? Very Happy
white1
white1

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:44 pm

At this point Grier might have to give the Redskins Football Team Commanders a first for Jackson.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:55 am

DolFan 316 wrote:At this point Grier might have to give the Redskins Football Team Commanders a first for Jackson.

I might audition for CB when I'm down there this weekend! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Seriously, Grier is going to have to do some digging and get someone in here...we're losing corners at an alarming rate!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down