The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game thoughts: Week 11, Texans at Dolphins

+4
DolFan 316
JEGnj
white1
JMP
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Game thoughts: Week 11, Texans at Dolphins Empty Game thoughts: Week 11, Texans at Dolphins

Post by JMP Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:24 pm

The Dolphins jumped out to a 30-0 halftime lead today, before taking their foot off the gas and cruising to an easy 30-15 victory over the hapless Texans.

The story of this game was the Miami defense. The stats tell the story: 7 tackles for loss with 5 sacks, 2 INTs, 3 forced fumbles, 1 recovered fumble, 6 passes defensed, 36 total rushing yards allowed…oh, and a TD. This was an absolutely dominant performance, and every single player contributed – from Bradley Chubb (strip sack) to Elandon Roberts (9 tackles and a sack) to Jae Phillips (7 tackles and a sack) to Andrew Van Ginkel (INT that gave his offense a first and goal leading to a TD) to Eric Rowe (forced fumble returned for a TD by Xavien Howard) to Verone McKinley (1st career INT) to Melvin Ingram, Raekown Davis and Elijah Campbell all with key pressures to Kader Kohou playing lockdown corner and displaying sure tackling…I could literally name every defender. Yes – the Texans offense is bad. But I don’t care who the opponent was – all that matters is the Dolphins defense brought the hammer down in a big way today. Just outstanding.

Unfortunately, the offense was not as good. Against a terrible defense, the offense managed just 2 TDs – one of which was set up by the defense handing them a first and goal situation off the AVG INT. Tua had a decent statistical game and made some nice throws, but he was uncharacteristically off-target on several passes. Jaylen Waddle and Tyreek Hill combined for 11 catches and each had 85 yards receiving, but each had a dropped pass as well. Durham Smythe had a TD but completely whiffed on a block that led to a sack. River Cracraft was great, with 4 catches for 55 yards. Jeff Wilson had a TD, but ran for just 39 yards. Tua was getting pounded all day, and left the game before the 3rd quarter ended to keep him safe. Skylar Thompson relieved him and looked terrible.

And that leads to the biggest issue today: the offensive line. It was awful today – absolutely awful. Austin Jackson returned to the starting lineup at RT and played merely OK. Terron Armstead left the game with a potentially-serious pectoral injury, and was replaced at LT by Brandon Shell – who was horrifically bad, getting blown up several times. The pass protection was horrible, as Tua was pressured all day and the Texans notched 5 sacks. There was absolutely no run blocking at all, and Miami RBs averaged just 2.9 yards a carry as a result.

Special teams was uneventful, although Jason Sanders did make all 3 of his FG attempts (all under 50 yards).

The Dolphins still sit atop the East after this win, but some concerns did appear today: the Armstead injury, the mediocre passing day, the total lack of a running game and an OL that, quite frankly, sucked. The Dolphins now head into the toughest part of their schedule – 3 consecutive road games against good/great teams, and they do so with a lot of question marks despite winning 5 straight games. We are about to find out just how good Mike McDaniel, Tua Tagovailoa and this suddenly resurgent defense really are. All three are going to have to be at the top of their game to get through this stretch.

Hero of the Game: The entire defense. Simply an outstanding effort, and it was great to see every single defender making positive plays.

Goat of the Game: Not for the first time, the OL gets the nod. This is especially disappointing because the line had looked really good for several consecutive weeks – but today they took several steps back. If Armstead misses significant time – as seems likely, since I’ve never heard of a minor pec injury – this unit is in trouble. Brandon Shell played admirably at RT the last few games, but today at LT he allowed 2 sacks and was terrible. Austin Jackson left the game late with an apparent ankle injury, so his status is now in question as well. Not a good situation as we head into this rough series of games.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: Week 11, Texans at Dolphins Empty Re: Game thoughts: Week 11, Texans at Dolphins

Post by white1 Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:02 pm

Great write up and I agree with your points.

Really hoping bye week part of issue with timing on offense and Tua alluded to that post game. Tough games coming up hope they improve and finish regular season strong!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: Week 11, Texans at Dolphins Empty Re: Game thoughts: Week 11, Texans at Dolphins

Post by JEGnj Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:03 pm

Had to work but watched the game. Awesome 1st half. Pathetic 2nd half. Take the W and first place in AFC East. Hope the OL injuries aren't devastating.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:14 pm

One point I will add. This off-season should be really easy. One job. Acquire better offensive line. All positions. We have the skill position players locked. And in spades. The only thing keeping us from elite play is the line. Fix that and the sky is the limit. I’m talking three players would settle for two. Grier and McDaniel can do it!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:23 pm

white1 wrote:One point I will add. This off-season should be really easy. One job. Acquire better offensive line. All positions. We have the skill position players locked. And in spades. The only thing keeping us from elite play is the line. Fix that and the sky is the limit. I’m talking three players would settle for two. Grier and McDaniel can do it!

I think we need a RT - unless we just keep Shell there, which I'm fine with. AJax was OK there today, but can he stay on the field and what does he look like long-term? Too many questions with him. We also need a swing T that can competently play both sides. Armstead is the starting LT, of course, but we need to add someone that is not a colossal dropoff when Armstead is out. I'm fine with Williams at center...he's great aside from the one high snap every damn week. I'm fine with Hunt at RG. I'm also OK with Jones at LG, but I'd be happy to bring in competition as well.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:25 pm

Generally agree.

Swing LT a big priority with Armstead injury history.

I want a beast at RT and LG. If we dare hope to get all three this offense becomes a monster.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:29 pm

With Armstead, we have to hope it's a pec strain that just keeps him out a couple of weeks. A full tear would mean he's done. That's a massive loss if so. We should know for sure tomorrow.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:30 pm

white1 wrote:

I want a beast at RT and LG. If we dare hope to get all three this offense becomes a monster.

Sure, that's the ideal. Those guys are not easy to find these days. Need Grier and his staff to really do their homework in the draft, like the Seahawks did this past offseason.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:48 pm

BTW: Tua now has 19 TDs and 3 INTs on the season. Better than a 6:1 ratio...just insane, especially for a Dolphins QB!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:53 pm

It's funny...I didn't feel great about today's win - but we won by 2 TDs! Amazing how your perspective and expectations change when your team is actually good!

From here on out this season, it's all about wins. Win by 1 or win by 20...just keep stacking Ws. I don't care about style points.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:06 pm

So it's come to this...you guys actually trusting GRIER to draft good O-linemen. I never thought I'd see the day (sighs).

The GF bought wine and I'm drinking it, dammit. Not even thinking about how 8-3 could turn into 8-6 easily. Nope. Everything's going to be fine! FINE, I tell you! (Sticks fingers in ears.)

LALALALALALALALALALALALA!!!!!!

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:08 pm

JMP wrote:It's funny...I didn't feel great about today's win - but we won by 2 TDs!  Amazing how your perspective and expectations change when your team is actually good!

From here on out this season, it's all about wins.  Win by 1 or win by 20...just keep stacking Ws.  I don't care about style points.

Welcome to the club Very Happy We've got a seat for you. I'm the founding member and have been thinking like this the whole time Cool

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:37 pm

Seems like there is doom and gloom around the internet because of the Armstead injury. Not from me.

I think we probably lose to San Fran no matter who plays LT. But beyond that, I like our chances in each of the remaining games, even if Armstead is out. This offense has too many weapons, Tua is too good, and McD is too smart to let the wheels fall off because of one non-QB getting hurt.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:51 pm

Early reports are that Armstead suffered a strained pec. Not season-ending if that's the case, though he may miss some time.

Depending on Jackson's ankle, potentially for a couple of games we're looking at either Shell at LT and AJax at RT, or Little at LT and Shell at RT. I'm fine with that - next man up.

All I can say is: Let's Fucking Go!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:51 pm

SICKENING!!! DISGUSTING!!! UTTERLY NAUSEATING!!!

I'm talking about the Cardinals choking the game away against the Herberts Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:54 pm

JMP wrote:Early reports are that Armstead suffered a strained pec.  Not season-ending if that's the case, though he may miss some time.

Depending on Jackson's ankle, potentially for a couple of games we're looking at either Shell at LT and AJax at RT, or Little at LT and Shell at RT.  I'm fine with that - next man up.

Armstead should miss the Cali road trip (IMO the team should just stay there for 2 weeks) but maybe hopefully be back for the Bills game.

I agree that the 49ers game looks like a loss (even with Tua I hate to say) but the Fins can afford to drop that one. It's not a conference or division game. Far better to lose to the 49ers and beat the Herberts than the other way around.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:38 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:SICKENING!!! DISGUSTING!!! UTTERLY NAUSEATING!!!

I'm talking about the Cardinals choking the game away against the Herberts Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Herbert did his best to lose that game with an almost-INT that barely touched the ground late in the game, but in the end the Cardinals defense was the Cardinals defense and they choked. But I will say this - that Chargers team does not scare me at all. I think we'll bury them.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:43 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Early reports are that Armstead suffered a strained pec.  Not season-ending if that's the case, though he may miss some time.

Depending on Jackson's ankle, potentially for a couple of games we're looking at either Shell at LT and AJax at RT, or Little at LT and Shell at RT.  I'm fine with that - next man up.

Armstead should miss the Cali road trip (IMO the team should just stay there for 2 weeks) but maybe hopefully be back for the Bills game.

I agree that the 49ers game looks like a loss (even with Tua I hate to say) but the Fins can afford to drop that one. It's not a conference or division game. Far better to lose to the 49ers and beat the Herberts than the other way around.

Agreed on all points.

One thing I'm very happy about: Kader Kohou has settled in at one CB spot, and X is getting healthier by the week at the other spot. We saw today that Boyer is feeling more confident about blitzing with those two locking down their receivers, and that bodes well for the rest of the season. I could be wrong, but I think the D is starting to rise at just the right time.

Also, Wilkins, Davis and Sieler are really doing a great job of collapsing the pocket the last couple of games, and Phillips is literally living in the backfield. With Chubb on board, i really believe this D is going to get better and better.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:23 pm

Again I have to ask, what gives ANYBODY any reason to think Grier will or can draft O-lineman worth a damn, especially when I show you this?

https://stathead.com/tiny/Wb66F

By my count that's a whiff on SEVEN OF THE LAST EIGHT O-linemen drafted. I'm not counting Hunt as a whiff since he seems to at least be average. And of course the best one was drafted 6 years ago...and traded away! Literally any of us could do better, or a least not any worse!

Remember when I said Grier should absolutely stay away from drafting any more O-linemen and just sign undrafted rookies and FAs? This is why.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:29 pm

I should have highlighted the Smythe TD. Just an unbelievable play by Tua, avoiding the rush, going through his progressions, and making a perfect pass. Kudos to Smythe for following Tua and working to get open, but that is elite QB play...like, all time great elite.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:32 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Again I have to ask, what gives ANYBODY any reason to think Grier will or can draft O-lineman worth a damn, especially when I show you this?

https://stathead.com/tiny/Wb66F

By my count that's a whiff on SEVEN OF THE LAST EIGHT O-linemen drafted. I'm not counting Hunt as a whiff since he seems to at least be average. And of course the best one was drafted 6 years ago...and traded away! Literally any of us could do better, or a least not any worse!

Remember when I said Grier should absolutely stay away from drafting any more O-linemen and just sign undrafted rookies and FAs? This is why.

Grier drafts players for his head coach. Flores didn't know OL...McD does. Things are different now, and it's time to stop thinking that everything the Dolphins touch turns to shit. This is a new era.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:42 am

this game was nearly a colossal blowout - until Miami took their foot off the gas...which was necessary due to OL injuries and less than effective play. but it was still a conference victory and counts just as much as the others.

some of the early miscues and drops could be blamed on the bye week rust. however, the lack of the running game, even with Armistead in the lineup, is concerning. the questions i haven't seen answered - why was Jackson inserted at RT ahead of Shell to begin with? everything on the OL seemed to have been working fine, why tinker now?

the defense played very, very good. again, it was Houston, but if this is any indication of the pass rush coming to life, this Dolphins season just might get extremely interesting.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:53 am

mercury22nathan wrote: the questions i haven't seen answered - why was Jackson inserted at RT ahead of Shell to begin with?  everything on the OL seemed to have been working fine, why tinker now?

My only guess is that the Phins really like Jackson at RT. He played decent there yesterday IMO, aside from a bad play here and there. He had an excellent block on the Wilson TD. If he can ever stay healthy, maybe we do have something there after all??? scratch

And yes, the lack of running game yesterday was very concerning. Although it really didn't seem like McDaniel wanted to run. Not sure why, but he was calling almost exclusively pass plays early, even with a huge lead, and seemed to only run as an afterthought.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:02 am

Mcdaniel knows the Weaknesses of every Defensive Player on the 49ers D especially the Secondary , Only the 2nd time Shell has ever Played LT in his Career, Coach has done a Great Job by Changing Game Plans specific to team being Played in Fact Tua says there is Very Little Carry over Week by Week. Need a 2-1 Road Trip at the Least but I like being Greedy and want them All. Coach look like he didn't know what to do with a 30-0 Lead Biggest Lead in his Coaching Career until OL decided it was time for Tua to come out by getting him sacked 3 Plays in a Row.

finskev

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:07 am

Former first-round pick Austin Jackson was back on the field for the first time since Week 1 and looked much like the player we saw in his first two seasons, unfortunately. Jackson allowed five pressures on 48 pass-blocking snaps before leaving with an ankle injury once again.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-12-game-recap-miami-dolphins-30-houston-texans-15

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next