The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game thoughts: Week 11, Texans at Dolphins

+4
DolFan 316
JEGnj
white1
JMP
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Game thoughts: Week 11, Texans at Dolphins - Page 3 Empty Re: Game thoughts: Week 11, Texans at Dolphins

Post by CarsonChris Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:49 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Another problem is something I've talked about before, but not for a while--generational loss of testosterone. It's a very real thing that's been going on for at least 80 years now where males are born with less of it in them than their dads, and their sons have less of it still, and then THEIR sons have even less. Men are literally less manly now than ever before. And we're seeing this have a significant effect on O-linemen in particular. It's perhaps the most masculine position in football in terms of the strength and attitude required, and is no place for wimps, weenies and wusses yet that's exactly the kind of players who are increasingly filling those spots.

All that having been said, this team continues to display a remarkable ability to keep drafting guys there who aren't even average by today's severely watered-down standards.

The snowflakes play soccer. Or as my daughters call them, lawn fairies!

CarsonChris

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: Week 11, Texans at Dolphins - Page 3 Empty Re: Game thoughts: Week 11, Texans at Dolphins

Post by JMP Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:56 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Another problem is something I've talked about before, but not for a while--generational loss of testosterone. It's a very real thing that's been going on for at least 80 years now where males are born with less of it in them than their dads, and their sons have less of it still, and then THEIR sons have even less. Men are literally less manly now than ever before. And we're seeing this have a significant effect on O-linemen in particular. It's perhaps the most masculine position in football in terms of the strength and attitude required, and is no place for wimps, weenies and wusses yet that's exactly the kind of players who are increasingly filling those spots.

Yep, I can see that - along with the changes in college offenses, as I said. So we're getting less-aggressive linemen that don't know how to play in a pro offense.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:49 am

JMP wrote:Excellent post, FF - you are the voice of reason here!

One thing I want to highlight: "Picking LTs is extremely hard in this league."  Over the past 5 or so years, I'd adjust that to read "Picking OL is extremely hard in this league." With all the gimmicky college offenses that are around, most OL are not ready for the NFL - at all.  And you can see that play out every week in the NFL: most teams have mediocre - or far worse - OLs these days.  It's difficult to even name the top linemen right now, because there are so few really good OL.  

I think more than ever, teams have to draft OL for traits rather than ability.  I know that sounds odd, but I really believe that scheme fit is the most important aspect nowadays.  Look at Connor Williams...not the best center in the world, but he knows exactly what is expected of him and he can execute the plays that are called.  Get 5 guys like that, and you have a top line - even if none of them are All Pros.

I'd love to hear Merc's thoughts on this...

So I definitely think you’re onto something. The types of college offenses being run today certainly makes projecting O-linemen into the pros much more difficult. But the requirements for a pro O-linemen have changed too. Mostly gone are the days of Nate Newton and gang (middle 90s Dallas) lining up and ramming the ball down the defenses throat. But there were also the freak 300 lb plus athletic (quick lateral movement) guys that were funneled towards the O-line from day 1 in college (Tony Boselli, Jonathan Ogden, etc.). In order to defeat those kinds of offenses (size and strength with an athletic component), collectively NFL defenses became more sophisticated, but also teams began to place a premium on the athleticism of defensive front 7 seven players. Guys who in years gone by would’ve been fed to pack on pounds and become top tier offensive linemen are today kept lean and turned into premium pass rushers (Aidan Hutchison, Joey Bosa, Myles Garrett, etc.). And I believe guys like Boselli and Ogden instead of being trained to a bloated 300 plus (have you seen Boselli lately at his natural svelte size) would be kept trim to become pass rushers in today’s football world. Offenses became more about quick strikes and less about controlling the game with power. Finding a top flight pass rusher became the prize where a generation before it was all about finding the premier LT to protect the statues in the pocket (Marino, Aikman, etc.). An O-lineman today is just as much about technique as he is about strength – otherwise it would still just be about finding the biggest (sometimes fattest), strongest guy who could move, but very often today those guys wash out between college and the pros unless they can show the ability to apply technique. And throw in the wrinkle of projecting a college O-linemen to play in either a gap or zone scheme – or maybe both – and it becomes even more difficult. For me personally, I find it far more easier to identify good gap O-linemen as those skills translate easier to the pros – finding zone O-linemen is more than just finding big athletic guys as many of them lack the requisite NFL strength and ability to correctly apply that strength (weight room versus the field).

So, you have a smaller pool of “projectable” guys (than in the past) and a longer learning curve (pro techniques that just aren’t taught in college) and less of a premium placed on O-linemen – teams also carry fewer O-linemen on the roster than in past so there isn’t as much time to sit, learn and develop. And the NFL in their desire for high powered, ratings grabbing, points scoring offenses have realized this – and hence why officials have been instructed to be far more lenient in holding calls (converse to stricter on defensive pass interference). The end result, its just harder today to find and mold an O-lineman whose gonna be dominant and win his match ups game in and game out. They’re out there, but they are farther and fewer between than they used to be (and you have to sometimes look beyond the power 5 conferences).

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:28 am

Excellent pots, merc! Exactly what I was hoping for!! cheers

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:04 am

I agree with JMP; excellent post Merc.

Another factor along with the lack of projectable Linemen to choose from, is the PREMIUM it places on
having a great TEACHING and TRAINING Offensive staff. Something the Phins dearly lacked especially in ToxicTeamKiller Flores later years.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:15 am

Another factor along with the lack of projectable Linemen to choose from, is the PREMIUM it places on
having a great TEACHING and TRAINING Offensive staff. Something the Phins dearly lacked especially in ToxicTeamKiller Flores later years.

Yep. No chance of developing a line under Flores.

McDaniel's staff has three-deep coaching talent with the reputation of developing offensive lines - if I recall correctly not only McDaniel himself, but Frank Smith and then Applebaum from BC and then last year's coach who is now an assistant coach.

I expect this season to be the weakest O line under McDaniel's tenure. Because these coaches WILL find the right talent to work with, and they WILL develop players to be the best they can be over time. With the playmakers on offense locked, the line becomes number 1 priority, and it will get fortified.

No way I could say that under previous regimes.
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3