The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GRIER SUCKS!!!

+4
HalCHorn
JMP
JEGnj
DolFan 316
8 posters

Go down

GRIER SUCKS!!!  Empty GRIER SUCKS!!!

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:00 pm

Can't even draft the right 7th round QB. The guy the 49ers take after Skylar shines while Skylar at this point isn't even fit to be on the roster. Seriously, HOW is Purdy THIS much better?!?!

Then you've got the long list of inactive picks, as JEGnj helpfully pointed out. Also, Edmonds and Wilson have been listed among the ten worst FA signings of the season, and rightfully so.

How does a GM screw up this much and still keep a job???

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

GRIER SUCKS!!!  Empty Re: GRIER SUCKS!!!

Post by JEGnj Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:07 pm

The inactive list should justify his firing. These are piece of shit players that will not make the field but are only here to justify his pick.
JEGnj
JEGnj

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:15 pm

JEGnj wrote:The inactive list should justify his firing. These are piece of shit players that will not make the field but are only here to justify his pick.

Brock Purdy's performance today should say it all. Just flat out no excuse for that shit. This draft class was literally a complete waste of everyone's time, and now even Grier's two trade acquisitions don't look like they'll be making a damn bit of difference. Also there was the IDIOTIC assumption that the Fins would do better that the 49ers last season and thus the Niners would have a better pick, remember that? As usual, that blew up in Grier's face just like 90% of all his other moves and decisions! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

It's a fucking miracle this team got to 8-3 to begin with. But make no mistake about it, they did so DESPITE Grier.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:50 pm

Purdy really didn't do anything special...mostly just threw short passes and watched while Samuel and CMC broke tackle after tackle.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:51 pm

JMP wrote:Purdy really didn't do anything special...mostly just threw short passes and watched while Samuel and CMC broke tackle after tackle.

Still worlds better than Skylar!!! Imagine if Purdy had this exact same sort of performance just ONCE during that earlier 3-game losing streak. Particularly in the Jets game...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:06 am

By your logic, I guess every single GM in the NFL - including the 49ers - sucks as well, considering that they all passed on Purdy 261 times over 7 rounds. LOL

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:41 am

Purdy was a fine value there, no doubt.  For that matter, Thompson looks like a fine value where he was picked too (no, he's not ready, but he's got room to grow).  Purdy came in with even more experience, the man started 48 games for a Big 12 program to Thompson's 41 (I think?).

Zappe looks like a good value where he was picked in NE too.  Hell, he might be better than Mac Jones.

I'm an advocate of taking a flyer on a QB every year if you can since the return value is so great if you develop one.  New England and Green Bay have been getting great value out of that for years.

HalCHorn

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:26 am

Great post, Hal. I am also on board with adding developmental QBs every year, if possible. Maybe you hit on a good cheap backup or even get really lucky and find a starter, or maybe you trade him for a better pick down the road. It's the most important position on the field, and is always worth a flyer.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:55 pm

History shows that the opposite is true in fact. Drafting a developmental QB is a waste of time. Almost none of them actually pan out because surprise surprise, it turns out they fell to the 5th round and below for a reason. Almost no NFL teams even have a third quarterback on the active roster anymore and the backup is almost always a journeyman vet. And these QBs actually don't really develop at all since teams have almost no time to spend making the 3rd string/practice squad QB better because why waste time doing that when he's not playing in a game that week?

But even if a team drafts a late round QB who actually develops into something, all they're really doing is developing him for somebody else.

Here's the list of career passing yards by all QBs drafted in the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds since 2000. You'll see how many of them actually "developed". Spoiler alert: almost none of them not named Tom Brady.

5th round. https://stathead.com/tiny/rghlx

6th round. https://stathead.com/tiny/84tqT

7th round. https://stathead.com/tiny/rKubJ

Note how the 7th round list is so poor that Skylar and Purdy are already 9th and 10th! Shocked Shocked Shocked

This "develop a late round QB into somebody" thing is a myth caused by Brady falling out of the sky into the Pats' laps, and everybody else becoming convinced they could do the same thing even over 20 years later despite overwhelming evidence that no, they really can't.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:56 pm

JMP wrote:By your logic, I guess every single GM in the NFL - including the 49ers - sucks as well, considering that they all passed on Purdy 261 times over 7 rounds. LOL

What other GMs do in the draft has nothing to do with Grier Razz

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:11 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Almost none of them actually pan out

It only takes one to make it a worthwhile effort. The league is filled with backup QBs that were either later round picks or undrafted. If you find a capable #2 on day 3, that's gold.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:14 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:By your logic, I guess every single GM in the NFL - including the 49ers - sucks as well, considering that they all passed on Purdy 261 times over 7 rounds. LOL

scratch So if Grier passes on a player you liked, he sucks...even if 31 other GMs pass on that same player multiple times? OK.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:20 pm

JMP wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:

scratch So if Grier passes on a player you liked, he sucks...even if 31 other GMs pass on that same player multiple times?  OK.  

Again, what do the moves other GMs don't make have anything to do with Grier?

The 7th round QB Grier chose sucks, and is clearly much worse than the one he passed over. That's a fact. And it would still be true even if Purdy doesn't turn out to be anything special.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:30 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:

scratch So if Grier passes on a player you liked, he sucks...even if 31 other GMs pass on that same player multiple times?  OK.  

Again, what do the moves other GMs don't make have anything to do with Grier?

The 7th round QB Grier chose sucks, and is clearly much worse than the one he passed over. That's a fact. And it would still be true even if Purdy doesn't turn out to be anything special.

It's a fact that Thompson is much worse than Purdy? Really? If you say so. Personally, I haven't seen enough of either one to form any sort of real opinion. One game isn't enough data for me to work with. I think they're both developmental prospects with uncertain futures. The only difference is, Purdy now has an opportunity to show what he can do because the two guys in front of him are out for the year.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:34 pm

JMP wrote:It's a fact that Thompson is much worse than Purdy?  Really?  If you say so.  Personally, I haven't seen enough of either one to form any sort of real opinion.  One game isn't enough data for me to work with.  I think they're both developmental prospects with uncertain futures.  The only difference is, Purdy now has an opportunity to show what he can do because the two guys in front of him are out for the year.  

Purdy just stepped in cold and dissected the D of an alleged playoff contender. Can you honestly say you can picture Skylar having that same sort of performance this season? Or ever? Hell, he's degenerated so much he literally can't even run a play with turning it over now! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

And if you try to argue that Purdy's team carried him to victory and will be the reason he gets the 49ers to the playoffs if they make it, then you indict Grier for not being able to build a team that good in 3 seasons. Sorry Jmp, I'm just not seeing any path to victory for you in this argument.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:46 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:It's a fact that Thompson is much worse than Purdy?  Really?  If you say so.  Personally, I haven't seen enough of either one to form any sort of real opinion.  One game isn't enough data for me to work with.  I think they're both developmental prospects with uncertain futures.  The only difference is, Purdy now has an opportunity to show what he can do because the two guys in front of him are out for the year.  

Purdy just stepped in cold and dissected the D of an alleged playoff contender. Can you honestly say you can picture Skylar having that same sort of performance this season? Or ever? Hell, he's degenerated so much he literally can't even run a play with turning it over now! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

And if you try to argue that Purdy's team carried him to victory and will be the reason he gets the 49ers to the playoffs if they make it, then you indict Grier for not being able to build a team that good in 3 seasons. Sorry Jmp, I'm just not seeing any path to victory for you in this argument.

If a 7th round pick is the hill you want to live and die on, have at it. Personally I don't think Thompson or Purdy are going to amount to much in their careers, so in the end it really doesn't matter.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:55 pm

its unfair to compare Thompson to Purdy. Purdy got to play against Miami's defense. if that mess is what Skylar had to face, he'd look more than capable too. sorry, couldn't resist.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:02 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:its unfair to compare Thompson to Purdy.  Purdy got to play against Miami's defense. if that mess is what Skylar had to face, he'd look more than capable too.  sorry, couldn't resist.

I disagree. Absolutely nothing Skylar's done in his game action has indicated this.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:42 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Absolutely nothing Skylar's done in his game action has indicated this.

you might be right - and unfortunately i suspect there will be nothing in Purdy's game action moving forward to suggest he could've done what he did against Miami - yet he did.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:14 am

Purdy was calm under pressure - I think that was his best quality. But really, what helped him the most was having CMC on his team. The Dolphins simply couldn't stop him. Deebo and Aiyuk didn't do any real damage (both held to under 10 yards a catch), and Kittle had just 2 catches. This game was won by CMC and lost by Tua and the Miami defense.

Give credit to Purdy for not playing like a scared rabbit in his first real action, but let's be honest - all he did was complete short, easy passes. He did what he was asked to do, which is great for a # 262 pick. He was the 49ers version of Mac Jones last season...just play it safe and don't screw up.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:24 am

JMP wrote:Purdy was calm under pressure - I think that was his best quality.  But really, what helped him the most was having CMC on his team.  The Dolphins simply couldn't stop him.  Deebo and Aiyuk didn't do any real damage (both held to under 10 yards a catch), and Kittle had just 2 catches.  This game was won by CMC and lost by Tua and the Miami defense.  

Give credit to Purdy for not playing like a scared rabbit in his first real action, but let's be honest - all he did was complete short, easy passes.  He did what he was asked to do, which is great for a # 262 pick. He was the 49ers version of Mac Jones last season...just play it safe and don't screw up.

And yet, Skylar hasn't even been able to do THAT much. Which sucks because that's all he would've needed to do for this team to beat the Jets and/or Vikings.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:30 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Purdy was calm under pressure - I think that was his best quality.  But really, what helped him the most was having CMC on his team.  The Dolphins simply couldn't stop him.  Deebo and Aiyuk didn't do any real damage (both held to under 10 yards a catch), and Kittle had just 2 catches.  This game was won by CMC and lost by Tua and the Miami defense.  

Give credit to Purdy for not playing like a scared rabbit in his first real action, but let's be honest - all he did was complete short, easy passes.  He did what he was asked to do, which is great for a # 262 pick. He was the 49ers version of Mac Jones last season...just play it safe and don't screw up.

And yet, Skylar hasn't even been able to do THAT much. Which sucks because that's all he would've needed to do for this team to beat the Jets and/or Vikings.

Well, it's also a function of the Miami offense. McDaniel is so obsessed with throwing deep, that he continued to call those plays even with Skylar at QB. We'll never know, but I suspect Skylar would have had much more success relying on short dumpoffs instead of slinging it all over the field.

McDaniel really has to ease up with his 'go for the kill on every pass' mentality. I absolutely love the aggressiveness, but sometimes you have to dial it back a bit.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:26 am

I know that Tua was off this week. His throws weren't pinpoint like we are accustomed to but go back and watch the tape. The game was a lot closer than everyone is making it out to be. The lack of a running game negated the RPO game. There were critical moments on certain downs where receivers simply "DROPPED" balls. Regardless of where the ball was thrown receivers had the ball in their possession and simply let it go. Sherfield's deep out, Gesicki for the 1st, Wilson jr.'s wheel route. Again not saying throw could have been better but, you touch it you can catch it.

Last but not least, Waddle missed a few balls simply because he mis timed his jump.

Not saying that this is why we lost the game because Tua was not sharp. But certain plays like those on both QB and WR cost us the game. Boyer is a whole different story
Umix10
Umix10

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:21 pm

I can't believe this much effort is being used to indict Grier over which 7th round QB he took!

There are so many OTHER THINGS that are far more damning than a 7th round pick!

Very Happy

And IO agree with Merc... if Skylar had been on the 49ers team, he would have had the same success as Purdy did IMO. The Phins were just outplayed all over the field.

Anyway... The 49ers are just a much tougher team than the Phins IMO. Kyle Shanahan wants his team to beat you up and McD wants to outscheme you... FINESSE you! Until McD starts to realize that the rushing attack is for more than just show...

When you can line up and impose your will on the other team with the rushing attack, it means twice as much for the moral of your team as it demoralizes the other team. McD is constantly telling the Phins offense he thinks they are soft by not running the ball more IMO.

Yeah, it's like when Shula had Dan the man... why do you NEED to run when you can pass like that... Well the Run helps the offense and helps the defense, and it gets the right MINDSET for the Oline IMO.

Without it... you are not much of a playoff team I am thinking. Running the ball is the sign of a tough minded team. Right now, I do not think McD is sending the right messages to the team.

They need to come out versus the Chargers and run it until the Chargers D is beat down! But they won't.

(sigh)

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:52 pm

Good post FF.

Let's remember, as thrilled as we are with the passing attack, McD is still a rookie head coach. We are going to experience growing pains as he learns on the job.

If he's grading himself right now - its passing offense A - running offense F - defense C minus - special teams F.

There's his focus for the offseason right there, assuming these trends persist the rest of the season.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down