The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PFF mock draft simulator is up + all things Draft related

+3
finfanatic
DolFan 316
HalCHorn
7 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

PFF mock draft simulator is up + all things Draft related - Page 6 Empty Re: PFF mock draft simulator is up + all things Draft related

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:42 pm

JMP wrote:If Mike Tannenbaum doesn't like Washington, that's even more of a sign that the TE will be a star.  I hear Tannenbaum on sports radio here in NY quite a bit, and he is probably the least informed "analyst" I've ever heard.  He's completely clueless.  

Remember last year when he said that Bridegwater would steal Tua's job after the first few games?  Yeah, that's Tannenbaum's "genius".

Normally I'd be right there with you, but...our old pal NYF isn't exactly raving about Washington either scratch Go to 16:45 of the video below.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

PFF mock draft simulator is up + all things Draft related - Page 6 Empty Re: PFF mock draft simulator is up + all things Draft related

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:52 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Ok, my "one week to go" attempts:

PFF:  
51. Julius Brents, CB
84. Wanya Morris, OT

no TE unfortunately, but I couldn't pass up Brents there and Morris was the best OT at 84 left (could have gone Bergeron/Phillips as an alternative BTW)

PFN:
Chargers offer 54 and 125 to move down from 51.

54. Darnell Washington, TE
84. Matthew Bergeron, OT
125. Kendre Miller, RB
197. Juice Scruggs, C
235. Karl Brooks, DL

The more I read about Bergeron, the more he seems to be one of those college OTs that gets shifted to guard in the NFL because he can't play OT at this level. A player like that still has value (surely he couldn't be worse than Eichenberg) but how high do you take a guard with the limited amount of picks this team has?

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:23 pm

Okay, so I tried it again just now and here's what happened.

Raiders offer me their 2nd next year to trade down from 51 to 70 and felt I had to take it even though for once Jack Campbell was right there (sighs).

Then the Browns offered me picks 74 and 126 for 70 and 238, which was a no-brainer so I took that as well.

At 74 Freeland and LaPorta were both still there. At this point I still had pick 84 but was convinced that no matter which of them I picked the other would not be around at that spot. What to do? scratch I took Freeland at 74 since I was just not comfortable with any other OT left and then traded up with the Cols to 79--after the Falcons and Giants rejected my offers--giving them 84, a 5th next year that I didn't add to the other two failed trades and...both Iggy and Cedric Wilson.

I know I know, it's a bit much to offer just to take LaPorta but again I just felt I'd be missing out on him if I stayed at 84 and besides, I get rid of two anchors and clear up some cap space in the process.

At 126 I took Overshown to make up for passing on Ivan Pace earlier.

Also at some point the Saints traded me C Cesar Ruiz but I forgot what I had to give them since PFN's not listing this trade for some reason scratch The end result is that I came away with a player at each of three problem areas (OT, TE, LB) as well as a new starting C who I wanted them to draft in 2020 and a 2nd next year so I'm good with it.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:32 am

Looking at the draft, this one is sort of similar to some where it is not a super strong draft IMO. The super WRs (Chase, Waddle, Smith) are not there. Oline has a few great prospects and then a bunch of JAGs. Edge and DT seem to be fairly strong. CB looks to have lots of depth. LB has a few big names and then JAGs. Good RBs seem to be scattered all over every round too.

I think the top 20 is going to be the names you have been hearing, but after that, it could be a free for all with guys I have been taking in the 3rd going in the lower 1st round!

What I am saying is that after the top 20 (maybe 30) players all the rest of the guys could arguably rate/rank anywhere else from the current round down to the bottom of the next round.

If you go look at different mocks and compare the rankings, you will see what I am seeing: Ivan Pace is a 2nd rounder on one mock site and then a 6th rounder on another. OG McLendon Curtiss is a 3rd rounder on one site , and a late 7th or undrafted on another! Karl Brooks is available late in PFNs mock, but is mid-rounder for another site.

If the Phins are going to be getting JAGs anyway... The best move could be what we all have been doing on the mocks: TRADE DOWN for more picks next year. And get a couple more picks this year as well maybe?

I am starting to think getting some extra 7th rounders would help out. You could be SURE to bring a guy to camp that might get away from you as an Undrafted FA.

Again... Trade down... UNLESS....

I HOPE a big name OT drops to the Phins. Darnell Wright maybe? He would FIX the Rt spot for years to come IMO.

I HOPE OG O'Cyress Torrence falls. This is a close to a lock for Perennial Pro Bowler in a awhile. I am not kidding, this guy is Dwight Stevenson like IMHO! He handled whoever was in front of him with ease. This would settle the Phins LG position for the next ten years at least IMO!

I suspect there will be a DT or a LB at #51 who would be worth the pick. Will the Phins go that route?

And there are some CBs who are worthy of #51 but would the Phins USE that #51 for a CB?

We shall see.
finfanatic
finfanatic

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:55 am

finfanatic wrote:Looking at the draft, this one is sort of similar to some where it is not a super strong draft IMO...

I think the top 20 is going to be the names you have been hearing, but after that, it could be a free for all with guys I have been taking in the 3rd going in the lower 1st round!

What I am saying is that after the top 20 (maybe 30) players all the rest of the guys could arguably rate/rank anywhere else from the current round down to the bottom of the next round.

I'm in complete agreement on the quality of this draft. But it's like JJ used to say - every draft is a good one...if you draft the right players! SI do think there will be several later-round gems, maybe more than usual, so teams have to dig deep in their prep for the draft.

And yes, I'm in favor of trading down and getting 2024 picks too.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:08 am

DolFan 316 wrote:SO...speaking of your O-line evaluations...what do you think of this year's crop, eh? Wink Cool

Sorry this took so long, but I wanted to compare my initial assessments against what the so called mock “experts” were saying. Sometimes, I hear what they are saying, but I just can’t believe how different what my eyes are seeing. Anyways, everybody has hits and misses, but I don’t get paid to do this.

So let me preface this by saying that I am much better at identifying power gap blockers than I am zone Olinemen – which is what Miami utilizes now. And admittedly, I have not devoted as much time to watching Oline prospects as I did in the past. However, I have watched a few and I think there are 3 guys that could be in the area of the 51 pick – although I have seen mocks that have them ranging from the middle of the first to the third.

Cody Mauch – He’s probably got the best movement skills of any Oline prospect. He has a near perfect ability to move, set and wall off as well as adjust to zeroing in on a moving target. I’ve seen a fair amount discussion of him maybe having to move inside on the next level, but I question his raw power to make the move at this point – not that he’s weak, but at 6’5”, 302, I think it would be hard for him to maintain his leverage strength to plow out NFL sized DTs consistently. I think his best position on the next level is to compete at RT while offering backup swing T ability.

Steve Avila – I see him as more of power in a phone booth type player and I am not convinced he has the necessary movement skills to excel in the Phins’ current zone scheme. But even as a power blocker, I still have a few concerns. I don’t think he extends his arms as consistently as he should, and he too often lets the defenders into his frame. In college (especially the Big12) he could get away with overpowering guys due to his compact size (6’3”, 332) but in the pros he’s gonna have to maintain better technique and drop his hips to keep guys off him. Personally, I see him as more of 4th or 5th round on technique and a 3rd, maybe 2nd on physical size/strength alone – but perhaps not a Phins’ scheme fit.

Matthew Bergeron – Of the 3, he’s the best blend of size (6’5”, 318), athleticism and strength. He has excellent blitz recognition and can adjust on the fly. He maintains his foot movement through contact and rarely loses leverage. He can mirror and stymie outside pass rushers. He is not a power road grader in the run game, but he has more than enough ability to move and wall off defenders arriving with just enough pop to gain movement. I think he’s got enough ability to start at RT now (and maybe LT in the future) and I like more of what I see of him at this point than what I saw of Austin Jackson in college. And given the requisite skills of zone Olinemen, he may also be able to fit at LG as well.

If they’re all available at 51, I would rank them Bergeron and then Mauch as worthty candidates, but I would not consider Avila unless it was a trade back scenario – to the end of the 2nd at the highest.

And because I’m feeling nice, I’ll give you guys a bonus. And believe me, as a UMD alum, this pains me greatly…

Jaelyn Duncan – For a man that is 6’6”, 306, he is certainly an athlete. He can move. However, he plays with very little power. He dances, he mirrors, he can do ballet (I don’t know that, but I just wanted to highlight his movement skills), but as soon as contact is made, he’s lost the battle. Most of his issues are related to playing far too upright and receiving contact in a negative leverage position. As a matter of fact, he very much reminds me of another college OT for which I had this exact same criticism: former Miami Dolphins’ 2013 3rd rounder, Dallas Thomas. Yes, its that bad (please forgive me Jaelyn, but the tape don’t lie). And surprisingly, for a guy who has such good athleticism and movement skills, he sure does over commit on pass rushers first move and is very susceptible to quick secondary insider counters. I’m not saying he shouldn’t be given a chance – after all finding guys that large that can move that well is rare – but I would not spend anything higher than a 6th rounder on him. Sorry.

Oh hell, I can’t leave y’all on a bad note. Caveat, I have not watched a full game of him (since Maryland moved to the Big 10, my area just doesn’t get as many ACC games as it used to), but based on the highlights (yes, they are only highlights), I am very, very intrigued by Chandler Zavala, but only at OG. He seems to play with plenty of power and drives through contact. He also seems to display just enough movement skills to be able to adapt to a zone scheme (remember, this is not my forte). Based on what I’ve seen, I wouldn’t complain if he was the pick at 51 (if Bergeron was gone) and I would understand a debate between him or Mauch (with Mauch’s position versatility giving him a very slight edge).

for what its worth, there it is.

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:47 am

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Merc, is it a literal crime against humanity that you are not at the very least in charge of this team's O-line scouting!!!

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6