The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PFF mock draft simulator is up + all things Draft related

+3
finfanatic
DolFan 316
HalCHorn
7 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

PFF mock draft simulator is up + all things Draft related - Page 3 Empty Re: PFF mock draft simulator is up + all things Draft related

Post by JMP Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:40 am

Found this list of players the Phins met with at the Combine:

CB
Keelee Ringo CB Georgia
Cam Smith CB South Carolina
Clark Phillips III CB Utah
Tyrique Stevenson CB Miami
Emmanuel Forbes CB Mississippi State
Julius Brents CB Kansas State
Myles Brooks CB Louisiana Tech
Alex Austin CB Oregon State

S
Jordan Battle S Alabama
Sydney Jones S Illinois

LB
Trenton Simpson LB Clemson
Noah Sewell LB Oregon
Demarvion Overshown LB Texas

TE
Sam LaPorta TE Iowa
Tucker Kraft TE South Dakota State

RB
Sean Tucker RB Syracuse
Devon Achane RB Texas A&M
Kenny McIntosh RB Georgia
Deuce Vaughn RB Kansas State
Zach Evans RB Mississippi
Cam Jones RB Appalachian State

OL
John Michael Schmitz C Minnesota
Anthony Bradford OT Louisiana State

Lots of CBs and RBs! I am surprised that there are just 2 OL on the list.

I love the safety Sydney Jones from Illinois. Great in coverage and hits like a truck. He could really add some toughness to the D. He has some Tyrann Mathieu in him.

I'm not surprised to see corner Keelee Ringo on this list. I figured he'd be on the Dolphins' radar. He's tough and battle-tested, and I love the way he competes. He was targeted a lot this season, going against top receivers, and just kept on fighting.

Before I get too interested in RBs, I want to see what happens in free agency. If we bring back both Mostert and Wilson, I don't see us taking a back till day 3.

I'm starting to sour on the TEs after initially thinking this group would be great. With Darnell Washington seemingly out of the picture, at this point I'd be more inclined to just sign a free agent TE, or draft Payne Durham on day 3 and see how he develops.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

PFF mock draft simulator is up + all things Draft related - Page 3 Empty Re: PFF mock draft simulator is up + all things Draft related

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:24 am

IMO Kelee Ringo is going to be a bust. Not impressed with him at all. You're already starting to see most of those Georgia defenders not being anywhere near as good as advertised in the NFL.

It seems like I say this every year, but don't put any stock in who the Fins do or don't visit with. Or any team, really. It's all part of the ridiculous predraft smokescreen process. Every team knows that who they visit will be blabbed to everybody, so it's turned into a game of "let's visit THIS guy to make people think we're drafting him, but we're really just throwing them off the track ha ha!" Only now, teams know that everybody knows that the visits are a smokescreen, so a couple of them will actually be real but you have no way of knowing which ones. scratch

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:37 am

BTW Campbell and Washington went back to back at 44 and 45 during the mock I just did. If that happens IRL I will be devastated Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad So I ended up trading out of 52 down to 79 and picking up picks 106, 223 and a 3rd next year from the Colts. That was the only trade I made (I know Hal will be disappointed).

What do you guys think of DT Moro Ojomo? I went BPA and took him at 84. PFF *hated* that pick, giving me an F, but somehow my overall draft still got an A scratch

DolFan 316

JMP and HalCHorn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:03 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:

What do you guys think of DT Moro Ojomo? I went BPA and took him at 84. PFF *hated* that pick, giving me an F, but somehow my overall draft still got an A  scratch

I typically like Texas D-linemen, and Ojomo is no exception. I think he's more of a day 3 guy because his size makes him a bit of a tweener. For the Dolphins, I'd see him as a 3-4 DE that can move inside on passing downs. At 6'3" he's a bit shorter than ideal for that 3-4 DE position, but not enough to make it an issue. He could be a nice piece for the DL rotation.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:06 pm

I like Ojomo, but in the 4th round or later.

Definitely met with a lot of CB's. I think that's the # 1 need especially with the injuries and Jones' release. I'm also surprised at the low number of OL but Schmitz would make a lot of sense, I'd imagine he would start day one at C, likely moving Williams to LG or RG.

Never disappointed in a low number of trades depending on who's there! Smile

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:58 pm

HalCHorn wrote:

Definitely met with a lot of CB's.  I think that's the # 1 need especially with the injuries and Jones' release.  I'm also surprised at the low number of OL but Schmitz would make a lot of sense, I'd imagine he would start day one at C, likely moving Williams to LG or RG.

I agree - I have CB as the #1 need too. It looks like there may be a lot of good corners on the board at 51, so I'd like to see the Phins trade down (not too far) and grab one.

I think Schmitz will go at the top of the second round, but if the Phins have the chance to get him he'd be a really solid pick. He seems like an ideal scheme fit. I'm not sure the Phins would take him because it's not a need position, but he's an intriguing player for sure. He could easily be BPA if he does drop that far.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:41 pm

Remember: Grier has stated that he fully expects Jackson to be back at RT and Eichenberg to be in the mix as well.

SO... that might mean the Poison stand pat at Oline?

Hopefully not, but... Grier ain't real good at picking Oline IMO.  He has Hunt and that is it I am thinking?

TE - I think there are several TEs in the draft that would instantly make the Dolphins TE position much better. Washington is a goner for sure, but I think Zack Kuntz could be another Gronk maybe!

JMP - I think you mean Sydney Brown not Jones?   And I agree... I actually have moved him to up to the first pick for the Phins. I usually try to trade down into the 60s before drafting him, but... This guy has Fangio D written all over him IMO.

Also, I think the App State RB is Cam Peoples, right?

I was high on Ringo, but am sort of downgrading him now somewhat as well. Right now I am looking at Rush or Stevenson early, or Starling Thomas or Moss later. I keep hearing that the Phins are taking a long look at Myles Brooks as well?

One CB who seems to be rising is Alex Austin. His frame and footwork make him look like Sauce Gardener IMO.

Until we see what free agent moves the Phins make, who knows what they are going to do?

I keep having a nightmare where they go after Lamar and have to give up all their picks this year, and a 1st and 2nd next year and then pay him 50 mill a season fully guaranteed and he never plays a full season for them!!!

Aiiieeeeee!!!!

So maybe trading a bunch of picks for RB Derrick Henry would be the best thing Grier could do for the Dolphins this year!

(SIGH)

Sad
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:52 am

finfanatic wrote:Remember: Grier has stated that he fully expects Jackson to be back at RT and Eichenberg to be in the mix as well.

SO... that might mean the Poison stand pat at Oline?

Hopefully not, but... Grier ain't real good at picking Oline IMO.  He has Hunt and that is it I am thinking?

TE - I think there are several TEs in the draft that would instantly make the Dolphins TE position much better. Washington is a goner for sure, but I think Zack Kuntz could be another Gronk maybe!

JMP - I think you mean Sydney Brown not Jones?   And I agree... I actually have moved him to up to the first pick for the Phins. I usually try to trade down into the 60s before drafting him, but... This guy has Fangio D written all over him IMO.

Also, I think the App State RB is Cam Peoples, right?

I was high on Ringo, but am sort of downgrading him now somewhat as well. Right now I am looking at Rush or Stevenson early, or Starling Thomas or Moss later. I keep hearing that the Phins are taking a long look at Myles Brooks as well?

One CB who seems to be rising is Alex Austin. His frame and footwork make him look like Sauce Gardener IMO.

Until we see what free agent moves the Phins make, who knows what they are going to do?

I keep having a nightmare where they go after Lamar and have to give up all their picks this year, and a 1st and 2nd next year and then pay him 50 mill a season fully guaranteed and he never plays a full season for them!!!

Aiiieeeeee!!!!

So maybe trading a bunch of picks for RB Derrick Henry would be the best thing Grier could do for the Dolphins this year!

(SIGH)

Sad

LOL Yes, I meant Sydney Brown. Sidney Jones was the oft-injured corner from a few years back.

I wouldn't read too much into anything Grier said about A-Jax and Eich. Both are young, cheap and will be in the mix - but neither one is guaranteed anything.

There is zero chance that the Phins make a play for Lamar...maybe even less than zero! They already have a QB, and there's no way they can afford to pay Lamar. I don't think any team will touch him...Baltimore is just looking for another team to negotiate a deal, and they'll match any offer IMO.

Zack Kuntz doesn't seem like much of a blocker to me. It's really difficult to find TEs that can block AND catch these days.

Derrick Henry is too north-south for this offense, but I'm sure McD could make it work. If he's available for a 3rd and the Titans eat half his salary this season, I'd look into it.

Riley Moss is very interesting at CB. I'm really starting to like him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:30 pm

Post Ramsey trade PFF mock:

(52) Steve Avila, G, TCU: no trade offers (dammit) so I took the O-lineman I felt was the safest pick.  Could end up moving Hunt to OT, or giving us a LG finally.

Traded 84 to the Raiders for 109, 142, 145 and a 4th and 6th next year.

Traded 109 to the Saints with that LVR 6th in 2024 for 115, 259 and a 4th in 2024.

Traded 115 to JAX for 121, 184 and 227.

121. Tre'vious Hodges-Tomlinson, CB, TCU

Too good a value.

142. DeWayne McBride, RB, UAB

145. Moro Ojomo, DT, Texas

184. Davis Allen, TE, Clemson

197 and 259 to NYG for 208 and 217

208. Eric Gray, HB, Oklahoma

217. Juice Scruggs, C, Penn State

227. Will Mallory, TE, Miami

239. Richard Gouriage, OT, Florida

So added two 4th rounders next year, giving us 7 picks and missing only the third round now. PFF gave me an A+. Would have liked to have addressed OT earlier and LB at some point.

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:56 am

Good draft mechanics, Hal.

PFF seems to base everything on what they think are the team's needs and the value they have set on the player you pick. I think they have the Phins needs set as Oline. Used to be CB also before the Ramsey trade. The Phins have one RB under contract, a couple of LBs, and if you "reach" for Lambert or Pace in the 2nd, PFF sticks a C Plus or D on the pick!!! And heaven forbid you reach way on down and go for Spears!!!

Plus, Grier thinks the Phins are competitive on the Oline.

It would be nice to trade down and make up some of the missing picks next year, but I have a feeling Grier and company are not all that interested in picks for the next two years.

They are all in on the win now and worry about later... LATER!
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:01 pm

finfanatic wrote:I have a feeling Grier and company are not all that interested in picks for the next two years.

With that in mind: could a trade for Derrick Henry be in the works?? scratch

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:04 am

If - and it's a big if - Georgia TE Darnell Washington doesn't get drafted in round one, I will be pounding the table for the Phins to trade up and get him.  The more I think about it, the more I think he would be a key piece on offense both in the run game and in third down and red zone situations.  There is no other TE available that can do what he does - he is an absolutely devastating blocker, and he has the tools to be a very good, and maybe great receiver.

PFF mock draft simulator is up + all things Draft related - Page 3 57498997

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:45 am

I keep going back and forth on Washington.

Sure he is big and looked great at the combine, but... How did he look at Ga? Was he a big weapon for the Bulldogs? 45 targets in three years of play says NO rather unequivocally. Now Ga was loaded, but if Washington projects as the next Gronk, shouldn't we have seen those flashes in college? We didn't. Will we in the NFL? Who knows?

Now he may be one of those rare birds (or bulldogs) who have a better career in the NFL than in college. I don't think you draft TE for his blocking ability , not at #51 (or higher). And unless Washington does something bad between now and the draft, I suspect some team will take him for the way he projects into the NFL, like you said as a very good to maybe great receiver.

If McD wants Washington, then so be it. I just hope Grier ain't the one making the final decision.

I have been looking at the TEs lower down in the draft for the Phins.

I like Schoonmaker from Mich. but suspect he will go in a round where the Phins currently do not have a pick.

The Phins MIGHT be able to get Zack Kuntz late and I think he has all the tools. Plus the speed. He ran a 4.53 40 yard dash at 6-7 255lbs.

Schoonmaker gets a 70 something blocking grade, Kuntz a 67 and Washington an 81, on Draft Buzz so...

Who knows?

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:55 am

Georgia has what may end up being one of the best college TEs ever in Brock Bowers. That's why Washington did not put up huge numbers. But he's exactly what the Phins need: an outstanding blocker that can run and catch, and his ceiling as a receiver is off the charts. I see most of these other TEs as projects, but Washington is a starter and major contributor from day one. But if he isn't an option, I think the Phins look to day 3 for a TE.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:29 am

No doubt that explains SOME of it, JMP. Bowers is a freak, but that is my point. Bowers is the Receiver and Washington was the blocker.

Washington is going to be a PROJECT as a receiver. He's going to have to learn that part of it. I heard one guy , a GA fan (I work with a pile of them.) , say Washington runs routes like he wants to, not how the coaches want him to!

Anyway, the Phins need a big TE who can block and catch, and I do THINK Washington could be that TE, but I really doubt the Phins get a chance to draft him. Unless, like you say, they trade up in the 2nd round.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:58 am

Tucker Kraft is another TE to look out for, my gut tells me he'd go between 52 and 84 though it is a possibility he could be there at the later pick.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:04 pm

finfanatic wrote:
Washington is going to be a PROJECT as a receiver. He's going to have to learn that part of it. I heard one guy , a GA fan (I work with a pile of them.) , say Washington runs routes like he wants to, not how the coaches want him to!  

Well, it's not like the guy has no skill as a receiver - he does have 45 career catches at 17.2 yards per catch. All college TEs are projects at one level or another, most in blocking and route running. But you simply don't see 6'7", 265 pound TEs with athleticism and speed that can block at a high level AND catch. Washington is one of a kind. But you're right - we'll likely have no chance to draft him anyway.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:07 pm

OK the "Eff value, need specific" attempt still with an eye to replenishing resources.  Was targeting Freeland and Kraft with the first two picks but missed out on the latter who went one pick ahead of me at 84.

Trade with AZ, # 52 in exchange for 66, 179, next years 3rd and next year's 4th AZ
Trade # 66 to LAR for #69, 136, 6th in 2024, 6th in 2025
Trade # 69 to Jests for # 74, Jests 4th in 2024, Jests 4th in 2025

# 74 Blake Freeland OT BYU

OT's going super early on PFF these days, wanted to get the last one of this particular tier.  Naturally they hate the reach but so what (C+ grade)

# 84 Tank Dell WR/PR Houston

Yeah, fits right in with Hill and Waddle but more immediately, huge upgrade at PR (possibly KR too) where we had no big play capability last year.

# 136 Dewayne McBride HB UAB

I still think we should take one.

# 179 Yasir Abdullah OLB/DE Louisville

What the hell is he still doing here?  Undersized but worth a flyer here

# 197 Juice Scruggs C Penn State

Need interior OL preferably one who can play center.

# 239 Aubrey Miller Jr. LB Jackson State

Didn't get to address TE, dammit, but the cupboard is now stocked for the 2024 and 2025 drafts and we filled at least three important needs.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:13 pm

Freeland was the most athletic lineman at the Combine. Daniel Jeremiah said that he may struggle with power. But his athleticism should put him on the Phins list for sure.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:21 am

My initial mock draft:

Round 2, Pick 51: OL Darnell Wright, Tennessee
- Many project Wright as a first rounder, but there's a lot of linemen ahead of him IMO and I think he drops. I think he can beat Jackson and be the day 1 starter at RT.

Round 3, Pick 84: RB Evan Hull, Northwestern
- This guys just never quits. At the Combine, he ran to the endzone after every single drill, no matter how far. He can run, catch and block and has good speed and athleticism. He's particularly good on screen passes.

Round 6, Pick 178: TE Leonard Taylor, Cincinnati
- One of the top blocking TEs in the class. He wasn't used much as a receiver, but shows the skill to be a good pass catcher and route runner.

Round 7, Pick 240: LB Andre Jones, Louisiana
- Big, strong and raw. I think he has high upside as a pass rusher, and was surprisingly good in pass coverage.

A trade down at 51 and/or 84 to gain more picks would not be a surprise.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:55 am

Realistically...after these FA moves we now know that the Fins should not be wasting any of their four picks on a QB, and probably not a RB either unless it's the 7th round (again). TE and O-line are absolutely crying needs still, and LB will likely be one of the other picks. That's if Grier won't (or can't) trade down.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:36 am

JMP wrote:My initial mock draft:

Round 2, Pick 51: OL Darnell Wright, Tennessee
- Many project Wright as a first rounder, but there's a lot of linemen ahead of him IMO and I think he drops.  I think he can beat Jackson and be the day 1 starter at RT.

- This guys just never quits. At the Combine, he ran to the endzone after every single drill, no matter how far.  He can run, catch and block and has good speed and athleticism.  He's particularly good on screen passes.

- One of the top blocking TEs in the class.  He wasn't used much as a receiver, but shows the skill to be a good pass catcher and route runner.

- Big, strong and raw.  I think he has high upside as a pass rusher, and was surprisingly good in pass coverage.

A trade down at 51 and/or 84 to gain more picks  would not be a surprise.

Well, everything I'm seeing points to Darnell Wright going WAY before pick 51, so I'll adjust:

Round 2, Pick 51: OL Dewand Jones, Ohio State
- Yes, I know he's 370+ and probably not as athletic as McDaniel would like. But I was just so impressed with the big man at the Combine. He's huge, but he's not sloppy and fat like a lot of the big uglies. He also moves much, much better than you'd expect. He's definitely slow, but much more athletic than he has any right to be at that size! His game highlights show a behemoth that can actually pull and get to the second level. He may even have the feet to move to LT in time, but for now he's a plug-and-play starter at RT. I can see him working in this offense, especially if the emphasis on the pass game continues. Jones can be susceptible to speed rushers, but you can say that about almost any RT prospect.

- This guys just never quits. At the Combine, he ran to the endzone after every single drill, no matter how far.  He can run, catch and block and has good speed and athleticism.  He's particularly good on screen passes.

- One of the top blocking TEs in the class.  He wasn't used much as a receiver, but shows the skill to be a good pass catcher and route runner.

- Big, strong and raw.  I think he has high upside as a pass rusher, and was surprisingly good in pass coverage.

JMP
Admin

HalCHorn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:01 pm

Can't argue with the position targets/needs. Jones at 51 would be solid. Which one of the OT's is available is anyone's guess at this point, but we almost certainly have to take one in the draft.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:55 am

HalCHorn wrote:Can't argue with the position targets/needs.  Jones at 51 would be solid.  Which one of the OT's is available is anyone's guess at this point, but we almost certainly have to take one in the draft.

For me, the biggest mystery in the draft is where all these OTs will get picked. There's a chance that a bunch of them go in round one and early round two - especially with the lack of first-round talent (IMO) at WR and LB this year. I see the first round featuring a lot of QB, OL, DB, DL and even TE.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:05 pm

The Phins spent some time with TE Brenton Strange at Penn State's Pro Day.  I think Strange is an excellent fit for the Phins - great blocker and has some juice in the passing game.  Some people have him as a day 2 pick, but given the current emphasis on receiver-first TEs around the league, I see him as a likely 4th or 5th rounder, and we don't currently have picks in either round - so we'll see.  He definitely fits the Dolphins system as one of the few very good blocking TEs in this class that can also catch.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next