The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Offenisve Line dominance!

+4
finfanatic
DolFan 316
white1
JMP
8 posters

Go down

Offenisve Line dominance! Empty Offenisve Line dominance!

Post by JMP Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:59 am

I really can't say enough about how good the OL has been this season.

We are getting outstanding guard play from Hunt and Wynn, and both tackles (Lamm and Jackson) have been rock solid. Williams can't do something as simple as snapping the damn ball, but as a blocker he's been terrific.

Pass protection has been stellar, with just 1 sack allowed and hardly any pressures given up. Run blocking is still a work in progress, but it was excellent last night - the hole on that 43-yard Mostert run was big enough for a tank to get through!

As 316 said elsewhere, Lamm has been so good that we can afford to keep Armstead out as long as he needs to get back to (or near) 100%.

Tua's lightning-fast release and ability to step up in the pocket no doubt help the OL in pass pro, but even when he's had to hold the ball he still isn't getting pressured.

Could we finally have a legit OL coach????

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Offenisve Line dominance! Empty Re: Offenisve Line dominance!

Post by white1 Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:04 am

Agree, and let's not underestimate the Chargers and Patriots pass rush.

Both have legitimate elite pass rushing players - and we successfully neutralized them.

The running game last night had me even more pleased than watching Tua with his typical pin point passing into the smallest of spaces. That Mostert run up the gut took Belichek's soul. They pride themselves on forcing teams to run outside.
white1
white1

JMP, DolFan 316 and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:12 am

white1 wrote:Agree, and let's not underestimate the Chargers and Patriots pass rush.

Both have legitimate elite pass rushing players - and we successfully neutralized them.

The running game last night had me even more pleased than watching Tua with his typical pin point passing into the smallest of spaces.  That Mostert run up the gut took Belichek's soul.  They pride themselves on forcing teams to run outside.

Belichick has no soul. That's the only part of your post I disagree with Razz Smile

Williams HAS to be moved to guard or traded. Or a center needs to be traded for.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:11 am

white1 wrote:Agree, and let's not underestimate the Chargers and Patriots pass rush.

Absolutely.

Against us, Bosa and Mack combined for 3 tackles. Yesterday against the Titans, they combined for 9 tackles and Bosa had 2 sacks.

Against us, the Pats had 1 sack. Against the Eagles, who supposedly have the best line in football, they had 3 sacks.

If this line can stay healthy, I'm thinking it could be special - and I NEVER expected that!

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:17 pm

JMP wrote:If this line can stay healthy, I'm thinking it could be special - and I NEVER expected that!

You can say that again!!

Lamm has been a stellar surprise. Wynn has worked out much better than I thought.

But just as big a surprise as Lamm and Wynn, is Jackson. He never gets mentioned. Which is
a big compliment for an OLineman. That means he ain't getting beat and ain't getting penalties!

Hard to believe, but it might just work out that the Phins look to RE-SIGN Jackson!!

I would see if I couldn't lock up Lamm before I worked on re-signing Jackson though.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP, DolFan 316 and HalCHorn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:27 pm

Jackson did have a couple of hiccups in the third quarter last night, but he's mostly been solid through two games. Hunt has been a standout, as always.

HalCHorn

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:52 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Jackson did have a couple of hiccups in the third quarter last night, but he's mostly been solid through two games.  Hunt has been a standout, as always.

Yeah, Judon fooled Jackson pretty bad on the sack. Jackson expected a spin move, and when it didn't come he was completely lost. Judon is one of the best pass rushers in the league, so things like that will happen. The holding penalty on the big run sucked too, but it is what it is. Overall, I've been very happy with Jackson's play so far. And Kendall Lamm has been phenomenal...where the hell did that come from? LOL

IMO Hunt is playing at an All Pro level after 2 games. He's acting like a guy that wants to get PAID this offseason.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:51 pm

I disagree to some extent. The lineman have done a masterful job. They provide protection that we haven't seen for a long time. More importantly without its best offensive lineman. I dont undervalue the importance of Armstead but, did this line all of a sudden learn how to block or is it a combination of coaching, scheme and a QB with accuracy and ball placement?

Umix10
Umix10

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:22 pm

We've gotta get our resident O-line expert to weigh in on this. Merc, where you at? Cool

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:33 pm

Let's not get carried away. A lot of credit goes to Tua for reading the blitz so effectively and getting rid of the ball in 1.3 seconds. 

A true test will come against Barfalo!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:26 pm

CarsonChris wrote:
A true test will come against Barfalo!

Absolutely. That's the game where we see what we're made of!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:24 am

DolFan 316 wrote:We've gotta get our resident O-line expert to weigh in on this. Merc, where you at? Cool

Thanks for the recognition (even if its not deserved). I think a few things are going on that have led to Miami’s improved offensive line play. First – limited sample size – the truth is, we’re only 2 games in so a full evaluation can’t be performed. However, Miami has thus far held its own against what is a very good d-line (Patriots) and what was supposed to be a good d-line (but that is now called into question). In the end, its hard to argue against results.

I think technically, Miami’s o-linemen are indeed performing more capably as a whole. While they haven’t faced a ton of blitzing (mostly because teams are trying to sit back in coverage shells (Patriots) and covering man on the outside with LBers in the middle passing lanes (Chargers), neither have they allowed a lot of free rushers due to being confused by aggressive schemes. Miami is not a power blocking unit, but rather wall and seal in the run – and for the most part, they’ve been able to do that. I think having Wynn and his experience at LG is a huge improvement over Eichenberg. I think Wynn, as a former OT, is more athletic and quicker into his blocks than the semi-lumbering 6’6” Eich. I think Wynn is much better suited for the zone scheme Miami runs. I also think Jackson having a full – and most importantly, healthy – training camp has led to his technical improvement. Hunt is performing excellent as he always has done and Williams, other than the errant snaps – and that is big – is performing well enough. I credit their continued development to being in the same offense for another full year. And yes, Kendall Lamm is performing well. He’s not playing like an all-pro, but he’s not being asked to. He’s performing well within the scheme, and I think he benefits from the fact he is not on Tua’s blindside. While he hasn’t been blown up, I think it helps greatly, that Tua can see what’s coming from that side. Obviously the coaches are pleased with Lamm as well as they haven’t been rushing (an apparently healthy enough) Armstead back onto the field.

And I think Tua’s additional year of experience leading to better pre-snap reads and adjustments is helping. Tua’s quick release might be the most important factor on pass blocking considering opposing defenses haven’t really been able to tee off on him. He’s also done a much better job of stepping up into the pocket when feeling pressure from the outside.

And while I can’t convincingly say the O-line coaching is better (I’m not at practice), I think the results and obviously the fewer glaring mistakes thus far must speak to better coaching. I think McDaniels better and quicker mix of play calling has helped as well. But – and this is the only thing I am not yet convinced of – I am not yet fully confident this team can consistently grind a late game and/or redzone short yardage runs to keep the sticks moving. I’m just not sure they’re built to do that with regularity. But as long as they run up the score and scheme quick short passes (Tyreek’s TD against NE), they may not have to very often.

Overall, I feel better about the line than I did this time last year (or any previous year in the last 20), but the season is still very, very young.

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:39 am

HalCHorn wrote:Jackson did have a couple of hiccups in the third quarter last night, but he's mostly been solid through two games.  Hunt has been a standout, as always.

DOH!!   Teaches me to not be spouting off after only watching one half and then the game highlights the next morning.

I watched the rest of the game and saw Jackson get called out and beat.

He is still playing scads better than I expected. Of course, this is a "Contract" year for him so he is MOTIVATED to play better.

It is still early, but if the Oline play holds up (especially against "Barfalo" as CC points out) it might behoove the Phins to try and lock Lamm and Jackson up??

We shall see.

Excellent post, merc.

I agree completely.

It is only two games and two games the Phins could have easily LOST if the ball had bounced a different way late.

Improved Oline play is a result of:
A) Tua is reading and reacting much faster. I heard Collinsworth saying Tua was getting rid of the ball so fast, blitzing just wasn't going to work.
B) Wynn is playing better than Eich at LG. Jackson has solidified the RT spot.
C) I have seen very few instances where the Dolphins Olineman has been "bum rushed" right into the backfield. There have been a few missed blocks for sure
or a case where the D lineman got to the gap quicker, but overall... much better mechanics than last year. The new Oline coach maybe??
D) Play calling - As you say Merc, the play calling is making the Oline's job easier. Calling plays that don't ask them to over power the DTs but rather slow them upo or impede them from making the tackle. And all that motion and jet sweeps are making it hazardous to shoot the gaps.

Anyway, it is early, but I have been enjoying not having to stifle a shouted expletive watching the Phins Oline play this season so far.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:22 pm

look, i'm not some o-line whisperer, but i think i can evaluate what individual o-linemen do (or don't) do well.

mercury22nathan wrote:I think Wynn, as a former OT, is more athletic and quicker into his blocks than the semi-lumbering 6’6” Eich.

but it is nice when the people who actually know what they are talking about confirm what i think i am seeing.

The offensive linemen speak about firing off the ball...

“It’s our speed off the ball,” Lamm said.

https://sports.yahoo.com/chris-perkins-dolphins-offensive-line-093000835.html

“I wish more people could actually be at practice and see what we’re really and truly working toward as our standard,” Lamm said.

me too Kendall, me too.

mercury22nathan wrote:And while I can’t convincingly say the O-line coaching is better (I’m not at practice), I think the results and obviously the fewer glaring mistakes thus far must speak to better coaching.  

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:08 pm

Outstanding work there, merc!

Wynn has been a difference-maker IMO. In preseason, watching Wynn play was like a breath of fresh air. I thought Eich played well, and Wynn is not exactly an All Pro, but there is a noticeable difference between the two. I think it is most evident in the run game, where Wynn has an explosiveness to his blocks that Eich just does not possess. Wynn got excellent coaching in his years in New England, and it shows.

Yes, it is only two games - but it was two games on the road against two very good D lines. I'm sure there will be hiccups along the way, but so far there is definitely reason to be excited about this group.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down