The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins' Head Coach search

+10
white1
HalCHorn
JMP
rightchea
DolFan 316
Umix10
mercury22nathan
Lacesout
JEGnj
finfanatic
14 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Dolphins' Head Coach search - Page 2 Empty Re: Dolphins' Head Coach search

Post by JMP Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:21 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article53002960.html

The Dolphins asked permission to speak to three AFC East assistants (Patriots coordinators Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia and Bills assistant head coach Anthony Lynn) and Tannenbaum said all coaches interviewed will be asked “theirs assessments on everything. We’re going to come out of this — and I have in the past — better for it. We’re going to learn a ton.

“We’re going to hear things we don’t want to hear. But that’s really, frankly, the only way we’re going to get better. That includes their assessment of our quarterback. And, you know, how do we win our division? What do you see as our perceived strengths? What are our weaknesses?”

is it me or does this sound like the Phins are interviewing the divisional opponents coaches because, well, they keep beating the Phins and the Phins have no idea why.  its like the Phins hierarchy has no idea what's wrong with their team so they have to ask the opposition to tell them.

"Gee, we keep going out and spending all this money on free agents and hiring crappy coaches with terrible systems and we have no idea why we're still losing - can someone else tell us what is wrong?

I get the same impression...it just reeks of "tell us what to do, because we're clueless".  After reading this, if the Phins contacted me I'd ask them if they were actually interested in hiring me or if they just want to pick my brain and get information.  

And, isn't it Tannenbaum's job to identify what's wrong with the Dolphins and then take the necessary steps to fix those issues??  Isn't that why he's in charge?

This is what happens when you don't have football guys running the team.

I would also say that, looking at the list of coaches the Dolphins plan to interview, it looks like yet another attempt to throw shit against the wall and see what sticks - which is exactly how the Dolphins have done things for years, and it's why the team has no identity and no direction.  It seems like these are all different types of coaches with different philosophies and different ways of doing things.  How can you have two Parcells disciples (Tannenbaum and Grier) in charge, and then interview a Walsh disciple (Shanahan)?  If the goal is to get everyone on the same page - and it should be - why wouldn't you just stick with what you know and not try to mix different philosophies?  A Shanahan offensive line looks very different from a Parcells offensive line, as an example, so why should the guys buying the groceries work with a coach that prefers different foods and shops at a different store?

Last edited by JMP on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:39 pm

I can GUARANTEE you Payton was Ross's first choice and he's already turned Ross down.

If I'm any of these other AFC East coaches in my interview I'd be all like, "Tannehill's a GREAT QB! Future Hall Of Famer for sure! I'm shocked you haven't signed him to a TEN year deal!"

I could swear during the last coaching search they brought in some Pats assistant and did the same brain picking thing, and then after he went back to the Evil Empire he revealed how utterly inept the Fins were during the process and everybody had a good Laughing Maybe it's just me, but I remember this being a real thing.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:35 pm

On Coughlin, at least Csonka is in my corner!

Age aside, his players loved him and he knows how to win. His roster in NY has been terrible (especially on defense), yet they are keeping the GM. Bad move.

http://larrycsonka.com/why-miami-needs-to-hire-tom-coughlin/

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:35 pm

Oh, and on twitter it sounds to me like Payton still very much in play.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:08 pm

COUGHLIN??? He doesn't belong on the sidelines anymore, he belongs in a museum alongside the other ancient fossils. You think somebody who saw Odell Beckham literally try to knock a player out of the league and just stood there pretending nothing happened is going to change the culture of this team?!?! HA!!!

The thing about old people is, no matter how hardcore they used to be, they reach a point where they run out of energy and stop giving a damn about what people do. Shula reached that point in his final years as a coach (Bryan Cox anyone?) and now Coughlin has too. He'd be even WORSE than Philbin about letting the inmates run the asylum.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:41 pm

Coughlin also has three consecutive losing seasons, and missed the playoffs 6 of the last 7 seasons...not sure I want an aging coach on a big downward slide. All that aside, if not for his age he'd still be a viable candidate for this team.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:29 pm

I liked Coughlin a lot 10 years ago and really hoped that we'd fire Bumstedt quick enough to consider him once he parted ways with the Jags, but .... this team just hasn't done things like that in a long time.

Coughlin will only tarnish his image if he hangs around now. If he hangs 'em up now, he's a HOF candidate. Started with an expansion team and took that team to the Conference championship game in two years, and took them there a second time, then won two Super Bowls at his second stop, including the iconic game that kept the Pats from going undefeated. He's a strong candidate for Canton if he leaves now. But if he goes somewhere and does (say) what Seifert did in Carolina or Flores did in Seattle--well, neither of those guys are in yet.......

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:22 am

Latest blog from Armando on the topic. Agree with him. Can anyone explain why Gase is such a hot candidate? Exactly what has he done - ever - that makes him so sought after in this year's coaching searches? Is it the fact the field overall is so weak he's the best of the bunch? Because I disagree. I would take Smith or Marrone over him all day every day.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

Of course, Ross not being a football guy, and apparently appointing Tannenbaum to lead the search and serve as the direct supervisor for both the GM and head coach, nevertheless has his favorite picked out already. Before we even break into day 3 of the interviews.

This particular snippet should remind everyone of the past few coordinators we've hired to fill our head coaching chair in Miami, and I for one find it particularly stomach churning:

Gase will likely pitch Vance Joseph, the guy who succeeded Kevin Coyle as the Bengals defensive backs coach and has never been a coordinator, as his defensive coordinator.

Oh great! Some asshole that used to work with Kevin Coyle, only more junior and less accomplished, who likely is merely reaping the rewards of serving as a cog in the machine that is the Marvin Lewis defense! Gase you've cracked the code! This guy is the genius that will return our defense to prominence, and solve the offenses we face in the AFC East! How much money do you want because you are HIRED.

Please let some other misguided franchise hire this fool before he comes to Miami as Philbin 2.0.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:26 am

I don't like Gase at all...too inexperienced and hasn't done anything all that impressive. Guys like Gase and Matt Patricia have absolutely no head coaching credentials, and it's sad that legit head coaches are in such short supply that unqualified guys like this get interviews. Maybe some day these guys will be ready to make the jump, but now is not that time.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:45 am

That is true but at the same time Hue Jackson doesn't have any experience at all and he is becoming real popular around the league.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:09 am

rightchea wrote:That is true but at the same time Hue Jackson doesn't have any experience at all and he is becoming real popular around the league.

Hue Jackson is 50 years old and has been coaching since the late '80s. He has about 10 years of experience as an OC in college and the NFL, and he has a year as an NFL head coach. Jackson has TONS more experience than Gase or Patricia - not even close.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:38 am

I don't have a problem with interviewing Gase, but.....

Harold Goodwin is a lot more intriguing to me than Gase, for point of comparison.  He's been OC in Arizona for 3 years, on a staff with Bowles and Arians, and has helped keep that team winning consistently despite a revolving door at both QB and RB all that time.  He's 42 years old and has the same level of experience as Gase.  But apparently he isn't even on the radar.  Go figure.

Jackson is a better candidate than either. He really didn't get a chance in Oakland. He might well be a guy who makes good the second time around.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 am

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:33 pm

Ross apparently loves Gase, from things I've been reading, so that immediately puts Gase at the top of my "anyone but him!" list.

And Hal - I'm not particularly sold on Harold Goodwin from an experience standpoint, but yeah, he certainly looks like a stronger candidate than Gase. It's like Armando said today - once a guy gets an interview, all the other teams jump on board because they're afraid they're missing out on something, and then this guy that has comparatively weak credentials suddenly becomes the hot name.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:57 pm

Just saw that Sean Peyton will remain the head coach for the Saints.

Also saw the Fins are interviewing Hue Jackson on Sunday......

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:53 pm

You know it is Bad when I trust this Idiot more than the Idiot Ireland when he hired dead man walking in 2012.

I'm on Board for Jackson or David Shaw from Stanford, I think Shaw will be Great in the Pro's if he ever makes the Jump.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:07 pm

Dolphins are so stupid they probably got Hue Jackman and Hue Jackson confused! Hue Jackman probably wondering why the Dolphins keep calling.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:01 am

Maybe they could bring in Lovie Smith. He'd be better than all the other options.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:07 am

So apparently the Phins requested permission to interview Bucs' OC Dirk Koetter (a coach I actually like). The Bucs responded by firing Lovie Smith, and they are apparently ready to hire Koetter as their new head coach! Crazy stuff.

In any case, I guess this now puts Lovie Smith in play for the Phins. As 316 might say, I'm kinda "meh" about Smith. Man, this group of candidates is bad!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:13 am

Lovie Smith doesn't have the fire that Miami needs to make this team a playoff team. I think he needs a team that has all the key players and not having so many holes

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:25 am

When Mike Smith looks like the strongest candidate.... yeah I'm still leaning towards Coughlin.

Even if he gives us three years of great coaching, we can build a squad in that time and will probably make the playoffs at least once in that span.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:39 am

Rumors are swirling that the Phins really want Gase, and may try to sign him today when they interview him.

I sure as hell hope this doesn't happen!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:41 am

Gase?

Great.

No tingle at all for Gase.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:52 am

Oh dear Lord. I just can't connect the dots.

We have not even interviewed the guy - again, what is so great on his resume that he's the answer?

Also, I read part of the problem identified with our past coaches is they were only able to bring a weak staff. Is Gase any different?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:02 am

I did a search for Gase on YouTube. He's really, really boring...very hard to focus on what he was saying because he's very monotone and he talks a lot but doesn't say much. Doesn't seem like a motivator at all.

Gase rode on Manning's coattails in Denver. His offense in Chicago was no better than Miami's, and maybe even a bit worse. I don't understand what he's done to make anyone think he's a head coach. It's mind-boggling.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next