The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins' Head Coach search

+10
white1
HalCHorn
JMP
rightchea
DolFan 316
Umix10
mercury22nathan
Lacesout
JEGnj
finfanatic
14 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Dolphins' Head Coach search - Page 3 Empty Re: Dolphins' Head Coach search

Post by white1 Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:06 am

I did a search for Gase on YouTube. He's really, really boring...very hard to focus on what he was saying because he's very monotone and he talks a lot but doesn't say much. Doesn't seem like a motivator at all.

Gase rode on Manning's coattails in Denver. His offense in Chicago was no better than Miami's, and maybe even a bit worse. I don't understand what he's done to make anyone think he's a head coach. It's mind-boggling.

Well, that about wraps it up then. Prepare to welcome Gase as our next head coach.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:11 am

With Lovie Smith unexpectedly available, shouldn't we be rushing to talk to him instead of Gase or Coughlin? A Super Bowl coach who's hit a rough patch recently; difference is, this coach is 57 instead of 70.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:06 am

Great point Hal, Smith would seem to be a strong candidate to talk to.

Tampa isn't exactly the pinnacle of NFL franchises, and they only gave him two years before firing him.

Why not at least talk to him?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:46 am

The thing with Lovie Smith is, you'd be committing to the Tampa 2 defense if you hire him. I don't think Tannenbaum wants any part of that scheme, so I doubt Smith would be on Miami's radar.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:38 pm

It seems to me that right now, with today's offenses being what they are, a Tampa 2 would not be a good thing.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:11 am

to be honest i'm not really the psyched about any of the candidates. but this is what i think will happen - and not necessarily what i want to happen...

the next head coach of the Miami Dolphins will be Doug Marrone. why? because he checks all the analytical boxes that Tannenbaum and Ross are so caught up with these days.

fix Tannehill. check. Marrone was the Saints OC from 06-08 working with Drew Brees.

Parcells connection. check. Sean Payton, a Parcells disciple was (is) the HC of the Saints when Marrone was the OC. Marrone currently is the asst. HC in Jax under Gus Bradley who was the DC under Pete Carroll (another Parcells disciple) in Seattle.

fix defense by building around the hundred million $ Suh. check. Marrone is reportedly packaged with Jim Schwartz, Suh's DC in Detroit.

previous HC experience. check. Marrone spent 2 years as the Bills HC. he was not fired, but rather opted out of his contract (he fired the Bills). he was trending upward as the Bills had a 3 game improvement (6-10 to 9-7) to move from 4th to 2nd in the AFC East without any real QB talent.

Friday when Doug Marrone interviews for the job, he will have a great plan for the defense because he's going to hire Jim Schwartz as the defensive coordinator.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2016/01/issues-the-head-coach-candidates-must-absolutely-address-in-their-interviews.html

like i said, i am not wowed by any of the candidates, if it is between Marrone and Gase - i'd be happier settling for Marrone.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:37 am

Agree completely on all fronts, merc. There's definitely not a "must have" candidate out there IMO. I am not a Marrone fan, but I think he just may be a perfect fit given that he'd be on the same page with Tannenbaum and Grier. And I do like the idea of Schwartz as the DC.

I'm really hoping it's not Gase...that would be a major bummer!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:04 am

Schwartz as DC has Me excited than anything else, Which is Pretty Sad about these Coaches we are interviewing.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:41 pm

Among the candidates being considered, Marrone is a close second to Hue Jackson on my preferred list. I have reservations about him, but he can certainly coach.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:31 pm

I think I'm with you, Hal - Jackson and Marrone are probably tops for me as well.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:54 pm

besides Mike and Lovie Smith those are the only two that have real HC experience.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:00 pm

From Adam Beasley Twitter feed, momentum inside dolphins hq building now for gase as head coach. Oh. Shit.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:58 pm

white1 wrote:From Adam Beasley Twitter feed, momentum inside dolphins hq building now for gase as head coach. Oh. Shit.

Yep, he's scheduled for a second interview on Saturday. Fuck. Prepare for more mediocrity. No

Yet another coach that has to learn on the job and has no motivational or leadership skills. This team is just doomed.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:20 pm

Armando blog confirms. Jackson interview scheduled for Sunday has been canceled. Smh
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:22 pm

From what I'm reading and seeing on Bears' message boards and youtube, with the Bears Gase used mostly shotgun formations. Loves to run out of the shotgun (no "I" formations) and loves to throw bubble screens. Ultra-conservative in the red zone.

Sound familiar?

Gase uses a modified West Coast scheme, and on the plus side he does like to run the ball and his system includes audibles and checks.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:24 pm

I am not sure how mediocre this guy really is. He did make Cutler into a better QB and he also worked with Peyton Manning. My only concern is what type of play style will he use.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:26 pm

We keep hiring guys that would make a great coordinator hire. When will we hire a head coach that brings coordinators with him?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:49 pm

rightchea wrote:I am not sure how mediocre this guy really is. He did make Cutler into a better QB and he also worked with Peyton Manning. My only concern is what type of play style will he use.

The whole "he made Cutler better" thing is so overblown, and, I'd say, inaccurate. Was Cutler better in 2015 than 2014? Not much, if at all. His QBR improved by less than 4 points, and the only other meaningful stat that improved was his YPA. Yes, his INTs went down...but he threw fewer passes. Cutler also had a horrific red zone completion % under Gase (44% inside the 20, and 37.84% inside the 10).

Fact is, Gase's offense in Chicago was in the bottom of the league, ranked #21 in yards per game, #23 in total points and points per game, #27 in TDs (just 34...even the Dolphins had more), #26 in red zone TD percentage, and #21 in turnover differential (-4). On the plus side, his Bears were #6 in 3rd down percentage...but obviously that didn't lead to points.

And being Peyton Manning's OC is like getting paid to sit on your ass. Manning called his own plays and ran his own offense. Sorry, not giving Gase credit for that.

Putting all that aside, in what way has Gase shown the ability to lead a TEAM (not an offense)? He's just 37 and has only been a coordinator for 3 years. He reeks of inexperience and mediocrity.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:09 pm

Second interview scheduled w/ Gase.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:43 pm

Now hearing they have cancelled Hue Jackson interview. Get ready for Head Coach Adam Gase. Yet, another young, unproven assistant coach. Underwhelmed.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:38 am

What a fucking kick in the balls. This is really the best we can come up with...a wet-behind-the-ears first-time head coach coming off a season where he ran one of the league's worst offenses?

I get the feeling that in 3 years we'll all be looking back fondly at the Joe Philbin era...8-8 is going to seem like the good ol' days. Sad

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:18 am

If this is the way the worm turns, I am not happy about it at all. I hope this is a gambit to get someone else to bite, and we have someone worth a shit on our radar.

It's time to stop taking Offensive Coordinators with good QBs. Sure, Cutler is polarizing, but he's pretty good . . . the Ecclectic Jeff George of this generation of QBs, but first we take Cam because of Rivers, then post-Parcells we take Philbin because of Rodgers, and now, possibly, Gase because of Manning and Cutler?

There is no learning here.

We will get no peace until Ross sells the team.

We may never see a Dolphins Super Bowl win again in our lifetime. I just wish that when the last one happened, when I was 5 going on 6, that I had a better appreciation for it.

To quote 316, "seriously".

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:22 am

Oh, one last thing, please if they hire him, don't let his defensive coordinator be named "Steve" anything.  I don't think I could take the littany of Adam and Steve jokes.

Christ, just looking at the guy, he's another milquetoast.  Yes, that's shallow, but god damnit, you have to have something to command some fucking respect.  

That last point can be picked apart, and rightly so, but hearing him speak and looking at him, a room full of mostly African-American guys are going to shake their heads, mentally, and think, show me don't tell me motherfucker.

Please be a rouse.  PLEASE!

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:54 am

JMP wrote:I get the feeling that in 3 years we'll all be looking back fondly at the Joe Philbin era...8-8 is going to seem like the good ol' days.  Sad

Why wait? I'm looking back now.

Degarmo wrote:We may never see a Dolphins Super Bowl win again in our lifetime.  I just wish that when the last one happened, when I was 5 going on 6, that I had a better appreciation for it.

To quote 316, "seriously".

Super Bowl win??? We'll never see another playoff APPEARANCE in our lifetime, let alone win. At least Bills fans over 30 can remember when they were in the Super Bowl. I was in diapers the last time this team won.

You know it's sad when keeping Campbell is the better option. By far.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:15 am

Needless to say, not happy about it.

In fact, I've never been entirely happy with a "coaching search" when I was old enough to know what was going on (I was a year old when Shula was hired) -- except when we hired Nick Satan, so what the Hell do I know?

Pederson is a good idea too. Weird how we all keep coming up with better ideas than the guy who actually gets hired. To me they could hire Miko Grimes to coach the team and it would make just as much sense as keeping Failbin last year or hiring Gase over all the other options this year.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next