The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manning visit Tannehill, Gase

+5
Degarmo
finfanatic
white1
JMP
rightchea
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Manning visit Tannehill, Gase Empty Manning visit Tannehill, Gase

Post by rightchea Mon May 09, 2016 10:48 am

Omnisport wrote:Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill has revealed he has received tutoring from Peyton Manning this offseason.
Manning announced his retirement from the NFL after 18 seasons in the league back in March, bowing out of the game after winnng Super Bowl 50 with the Denver Broncos.
But the 40-year-old appears keen to remain involved in the game, visiting the Dolphins' facility and helping Tannehill get to grips with the offense run by new Dolphins head coach Adam Gase.
Gase was Manning's offensive coordinator in Denver for the 2013 and 2014 seasons.
"At that time, we weren't able to meet with the coaches or anything, so I didn't really have a great handle [on the offense] yet," Tannehill told The Miami Herald.
"So I wasn't really able to dive into the playbook too much. So I had a few questions [for Manning]. If he comes back now, we can have a completely different conversation.
"It was really cool. A guy that had his career, the living legend he is, coming off a Super Bowl winning season - it was really cool just to be able to sit and pick his brain about things he's done in this offense and football things in general: snap counts, things you like, the way you want guys to run routes, little details about the game.

http://www.aol.co.uk/sport/2016/05/09/manning-tutored-dolphins-quarterback-tannehill/

I not surprised that this went down for the fact that Gase was Manning old coach and they seem to get along with each other.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Manning visit Tannehill, Gase Empty Re: Manning visit Tannehill, Gase

Post by JMP Mon May 09, 2016 11:03 am

Every little bit helps.  I wonder if Manning helped Tannehill figure out how to read a defense pre-snap, or get rid of the ball when he's being pressured???  Wink

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon May 09, 2016 11:08 am

LOL!

The list of mentors has been pretty impressive, Pennington and Marino now Manning.

Front office and coaches are certainly putting in the effort. At some point, Tanny needs to show it has paid off. Last season for him. I think it really is this time. Perform or move on.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 09, 2016 11:52 am

white1 wrote:LOL!

The list of mentors has been pretty impressive, Pennington and Marino now Manning.  

Front office and coaches are certainly putting in the effort.  At some point, Tanny needs to show it has paid off.  Last season for him.  I think it really is this time.  Perform or move on.

Yep.  Tons of resources have been invested in Tannehill over the years, both from within the organization (coaches, players) and without (Manning, Pennington, etc.)  At some point, Tannehill is going to have to at least lead his team to a winning record.  There's simply no more excuses.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue May 10, 2016 1:52 pm

It cannot hurt I guess.

More than anything, it shows how much Manning likes Gase.  

I am really hoping Gase is the QB-Whsiperer like he is rumored to be.

He will HAVE TO BE to get Tannehill off the consistency roller coaster he perpetually rides.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 10, 2016 2:40 pm

finfanatic wrote:I am really hoping Gase is the QB-Whsiperer like he is rumored to be.

The jury is out.  Peyton Manning was one of the greatest QBs ever practically before Gase was even out of diapers (ha!), so I'm not sure how much credit Gase gets for Manning having a great season.  And Jay Cutler last season was pretty much Jay Cutler every season...people want to pretend that he had this amazing transformation into a top QB, but that really isn't accurate at all.  So, we'll see...I'm not sold on Gase's "accomplishments" so far.  And as I've said before, Gase is the head coach - not the QB coach - so I'm not sure how much time he'll actually have to hold Tannehill's hand, especially since he's never been a head coach at any level before.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue May 10, 2016 3:56 pm

probably because he was the QB coach there during the time that Manning had a great superbowl run. It doesn't matter about that though it matter that Manning actually went out to Miami and gave Tannehill some advice.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue May 10, 2016 5:16 pm

Eh.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue May 10, 2016 6:35 pm

Degarmo wrote:Eh.

You forgot meh and feh. For that heinous offense you shall be flogged with a shoelace. For 30 seconds. Razz

Anybody else remember when the Fins were going after Peyton and he basically blew them off like the homecoming queen rejecting the class nerd?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue May 10, 2016 6:48 pm

Ross was the class nerd. So this makes total sense.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 10, 2016 11:54 pm

rightchea wrote:probably because he was the QB coach there during the time that Manning had a great superbowl run. It doesn't matter about that though it matter that Manning actually went out to Miami and gave Tannehill some advice.

Well, sure...Manning gave Tannehill advice.  So did Chad Pennington, Dan Marino, Bill Lazor, Mike Sherman, and the list goes on.  

Lazor, you may recall, was a "golden boy" because of his "QB whispering" with Nick Foles in Philadelphia.  Dolphin fans were actually worried that he'd bolt Miami to take a head coaching job because he was so great!  What exactly did he do for Tannehill?  Not sure, but I know Tannehill got him fired.

And Mike Sherman was a respected NFL coach for 10 years not long before he came to the Phins, with a career winning record as a head coach for the Packers.  What exactly did he do for Tannehill?  Not sure, but I know Tannehill got him fired.

So, forgive me for not getting too excited about the latest in a long line of "big names" giving Tannehill advice!   geek

That said, it's certainly not a bad thing to have Manning talking with Tannehilll...I just don't think it will make much difference in the long run.

Last edited by JMP on Wed May 11, 2016 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed May 11, 2016 5:30 am

JMP wrote:Lazor, you may recall, was a "golden boy" because of his "QB whispering" with Nick Foles in Philadelphia.  Dolphin fans were actually worried that he'd bolt Miami to take a head coaching job because he was so great!  What exactly did he do for Tannehill?  Not sure, but I know Tannehill got him fired.

And Mike Sherman was a respected NFL coach for 10 years not long before he came to the Phins, with a .  What exactly did he do for Tannehill?  Not sure, but I know Tannehill got him fired.

Not only fired, but never the same. Hell, Sherman got busted down to coaching high school football Shocked I have no idea what Lazor's doing now but he's sure not a HC prospect anymore and likely never will be. And didn't everybody find out Marino knocked up his side piece and paid her off to keep quiet about it soon after he started giving Tannehill advice?

Tannehill not only ruins careers, but lives. Peyton's next. If only he'd stayed away from Tannehill he'd have gotten away with PED use scot free, but now he'll become the next Lance Armstrong. Just you wait and see.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed May 11, 2016 8:53 am

sure, this is a nice fluffy story and i suppose it can't hurt for Tannehill to pick Manning's brain, but unless the Peyton of about a decade ago is going to transpose himself into Tannehill's body and step on the field for him on Sundays - i'm not sure how this changes anything.

but i can tell you where it did help. due to the terms of the collective bargaining agreement, coaches can not "coach" players during certain portions of the offseason. you'll recall that Tannehill was getting together with his receivers a few months back. Manning was there to convey portions of Gase's offense and playbook without Gase actually being there - as that would've been a violation of the collective bargaining agreement.

but in the end, all this off season stuff is nice, but it will still be up to Tannehill to put it all together when the real games start. again, it can't hurt, but it isn't what will make the difference - that's on Tannehill.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Wed May 11, 2016 8:59 am

I don't really care about Manning visiting Tannehill. I'm more impressed he just showed up uninvited to see Gase.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 11, 2016 9:05 am

Birdmond wrote:I don't really care about Manning visiting Tannehill.  I'm more impressed he just showed up uninvited to see Gase.  

Maybe he was filming a Nationwide commercial in Miami???

jocolor

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed May 11, 2016 9:10 am

Birdmond wrote:I don't really care about Manning visiting Tannehill.  I'm more impressed he just showed up uninvited to see Gase.  

re-read the original post - Gase was not present.  Manning visiting with Tannehill, happened a while back while the coaches were not present.  and you can be sure he was indeed invited and certainly paid for his "visit".

"At that time, we weren't able to meet with the coaches or anything, so I didn't really have a great handle [on the offense] yet," Tannehill told The Miami Herald.
"So I wasn't really able to dive into the playbook too much. So I had a few questions [for Manning]. If he comes back now, we can have a completely different conversation."

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed May 11, 2016 9:34 am

You can do this for only so long until you realize that he sucks. I giving Tannehill and Miami this last year to show that he is a good QB but if he not then Miami needs to end that contract and get their money back

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 11, 2016 9:59 am

The problem with Tannehill is that he's been just good enough to not suck.  Of course, that and a dollar won't even get you a cup of coffee these days. 

It's frustrating...if Tannehill actually sucked, it would be easy to just replace him.  But he's been average...which leads the people in charge (and a lot of fans) to believe that he can one day rise up and become elite.  You can ask all the fans of Andy Dalton, Philip Rivers, Alex Smith, Jay Cutler, Sam Bradford, Matthew Stafford, Matt Ryan, etc. how that belief works out - and most of those QBs are better than Tannehill.

The point is, at some point you have to realize that constantly changing the parts around Tannehill and getting similar results means one thing - no matter how good Tannehill is, he's simply not good enough.  Now, I'll wait and see if Gase the Boy Wonder can somehow get Tannehill to the next level this season - but this is it.  If Tannehill doesn't significantly improve and guide the team to at least 9 wins this season, I'm done - time to move on.  Hell, at least Dalton gets his team to the playoff every single season.

Last edited by JMP on Wed May 11, 2016 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Wed May 11, 2016 10:24 am

mercury22nathan wrote:

re-read the original post - Gase was not present.  Manning visiting with Tannehill, happened a while back while the coaches were not present.  and you can be sure he was indeed invited and certainly paid for his "visit".

"So I wasn't really able to dive into the playbook too much. So I had a few questions [for Manning]. If he comes back now, we can have a completely different conversation."

Um no. The article is wrong and the visit was unpaid.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2016/05/09/peyton-manning-said-met-ryan-tannehill-miami/39513/

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed May 11, 2016 10:36 am

The absolute worst thing that could happen to the Fins this season is for Tannehill to get injured enough to miss several games. And not just because it would mean Matt Moore getting on the field.

Because if that happens then the Fins keep Tannehill around--along with the massive cap hit that goes along with that--based on him "not having a chance to prove himself" despite having already played four years. It would be the worst of all worlds.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed May 11, 2016 2:58 pm

Tannehill's not ruining anyone's careers or lives. If he's not good enough and those guys can't figure that out, or won't make a stand if they do figure it out, then they aren't good enough as coaches. As far as Sherman, he was fortunate enough to coach a legend in Favre. If it weren't for that, he'd have been busted down to high school coach years ago. He's done nothing of import on his own.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 11, 2016 4:13 pm

There are many reasons Sherman and Lazor failed - but Tannehill's inability to step up in key situations is certainly one of them, regardless of the "whys" surrounding that issue. 

Sherman may look like a clown now, but he was absolutely a well-respected college and NFL coach for over 20 years.  I think you are short-changing him, Degarmo.

As for Lazor, I thought he was a piece of crap from day one, but people that are a lot smarter than me thought he was a rising NFL coaching star.  If Tannehill had excelled in Lazor's offense, we might be talking about Lazor as a head coach somewhere in the NFL right now.

Bottom line, regardless of where you point the finger - Tannehill failed and coaches got fired.  If Gase can't turn Tannehill into a winner, he'll get fired too.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed May 11, 2016 11:56 pm

I never liked Sherman at any point in his career.

I disagree about Gase, though. I think he has one year to change Tannehill or the team will go in a different direction and allow Gase to succeed or fail with someone else.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu May 12, 2016 7:45 am

Exactly my thought on gase. He gets this year to decide if he chains his career to tannehill or dumps him
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu May 12, 2016 9:04 am

To me there is no doubt Tannehill must win this year or he's gone. The contract is set up for this very circumstance.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next