The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arian Foster working out for Phins today

+3
white1
DolFan 316
mercury22nathan
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Arian Foster working out for Phins today - Page 2 Empty Re: Arian Foster working out for Phins today

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:14 pm

From White1's link.

PFF served up this interesting stat: Bobby McCain allowed just 0.27 yards per coverage snap when in the slot last season, by far the lowest average in the league.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Also, Foster may have been better than anyone thought.

http://www.footballperspective.com/arian-foster-and-100-yard-rushing-games/#comments

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Arian Foster working out for Phins today - Page 2 Empty Re: Arian Foster working out for Phins today

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:49 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Also, Foster may have been better than anyone thought.

i don't think anybody in their right mind can argue with the idea that Foster has been great (when healthy), but the question is whether he will continue to produce (at his RB-relative old age) and can he stay healthy. its a legitimate question.

but at only $1.5M for the year, its a an excellent deal for the Phins with very little risk and the potential for very high reward. but a tougher question is, if he does produce close to his previous level, do you re-sign him again for what will be a relatively larger deal? i guess the answer to that depends on how well (or not) Ajayi looks.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:47 am

Right now, the most obvious areas where Foster is way ahead of Ajayi are receiving, yards after contact and blocking. 
--Foster is as good a receiving back as there is in the NFL.  He's a good route runner with excellent hands, and he can read a defense.  Ajayi was a great receiver in college, but he quickly learned as a rookie that the NFL is a much different game.  He has a long way to go in that area.
--Foster is among the league's best backs at gaining yards after contact.  He can make people miss, but also 'runs angry' and breaks tackles.  Ajayi has good size, but at this stage he's on the soft side, not a tackle-breaker based on what I saw last season.
--Blocking...no-brainer.  Foster is good, and Ajayi...isn't.

This isn't to say that Ajayi can't improve - of course he can.  But a healthy Foster (if there is such a thing anymore) is hands-down the much better back right now.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:56 pm

Totally agree JMP.

Sometimes, the added benefit of an accomplished veteran like Foster is that they can SHOW the younger players what the right technique looks like. How to study the game and put game plans into action on the field. Mentoring on how to read blocks, read a defense.

Before we signed Foster, the only true veterans in the running back room were Daniel Thomas and Pead. Not exactly what you'd call the ideal players to learn from...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:06 pm

white1 wrote:Sometimes, the added benefit of an accomplished veteran like Foster is that they can SHOW the younger players what the right technique looks like.  How to study the game and put game plans into action on the field.  Mentoring on how to read blocks, read a defense.  

Before we signed Foster, the only true veterans in the running back room were Daniel Thomas and Pead.  Not exactly what you'd call the ideal players to learn from...

Exactly.  And I think Foster is the perfect mentor fo Ajayi.  Looking at his skillset, Ajayi has the potential to become a complete Foster-type back.  I don't know if he'll get there, but watching Arian every day sure can't hurt.

Along with Mario Williams, Foster is my favorite Dolphin acquisition this offseason.  I've been a big Foster fan for years - one of my favorite NFL backs.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2