The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Billy Turner to be Released

+9
finfanatic
mercury22nathan
Degarmo
DolFan 316
finskev
rightchea
Birdmond
JMP
white1
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Billy Turner to be Released Empty Billy Turner to be Released

Post by white1 Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:01 pm

Wow.

For the total dumpster fire this team has been I will say this. I like the demotion and release of players who are failing to perform on the field.

Will it have any effect? Who knows, but it's better than the alternative - just let them play, continue to suck and draw a paycheck.

I know coaching has come under fire also, but there is also a real limit to what can be done with "left side of the offensive line totally misses assignment allowing multiple free rushers." Can't fix that with scheme or play calling.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Billy Turner to be Released Empty Re: Billy Turner to be Released

Post by white1 Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:06 pm

Just saw Dallas Thomas also getting cut!

Come on, don't tell me NO ONE is happy about this?!?!

Word is Sam Thomas coming back as backup OT.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:10 pm

Dallas Thomas is being cut too - thank God! 

But it's too late now.  Turner and Thomas should have been released well before the season started, and Turner never should have started at LT yesterday.  Gase has final say over the roster, so this falls squarely on him.

Sunday, the OL they should have gone with was:
LT Bushrod
LG Urbik
C Pouncey
RG Turner
RT James

This way, you have a veteran left side and you have a RG that has actually played there before.  What Gase chose to do instead was start Turner at LT, a position he's never played in the NFL, and put the team's worst lineman (Thomas) at LG.  Essentially, the coaching staff ensured that the left side of the line would suck against the Titans - and that's exactly what happened.  MAJOR blunder by Gase and his staff.

Step one should have been to fire OL coach Chris Foerster.  The guys has sucked for many years and his streak is continuing with the Phins.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:14 pm

Link from PFT to confirm.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/11/dolphins-cut-offensive-linemen-billy-turner-dallas-thomas/

Agree that Sunday decision on lineup was a head scratcher. Foerster came in with a shit track record. Has done nothing to refute his history of coaching offensive lines.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:06 pm

Makes me feel better. Not much though.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:24 pm

Sounds like they also release Dallas Thomas via Bleacher report

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:25 pm

Finally they did something right, Now I feel sorry for Andrew Luck with Philbin being the OL Coach there both Thomas & Turner could end up there.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:27 pm

So that is why the Colts suck so bad

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:30 pm

Pead was also cut today.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:35 pm

Omar Kelly wrote:The Miami Dolphins will sign former St. Thomas Aquinas standout Sam Young to address the offensive line's struggles.
Young, a six-year veteran, participated in training camp with the Dolphins, and had a respectable showing during the preseason. But he didn't make the 53-man roster, and spent the first month of the season out of the NFL.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-miami-dolphins-sign-offensive-tackle-sam-young-20161011-story.html

I swear it is like off season all over again.....what the hell is happening.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:36 pm

Birdmond wrote:Makes me feel better.   Not much though.  

I would have felt better if Turner and Thomas were cut over the summer.  Now, it's too little too late and it makes Gase look like a fool for putting these guys on the roster in the first place.

This shows me that Gase can't evaluate players.  Turner and Thomas didn't become bad players in the first 5 weeks of the season - they were already bad players in the summer, but Gase felt they were good enough to be primary backups at the time...hell, both were starters throughout the summer!  Now all of a sudden they're not good enough? 

And Sam Young - who wasn't good enough to make the roster in the summer - is now good enough to replace the guys that beat him out for roster spots?  Huh?  Did Young find a magic potion while he was sitting at home, out of work, that now makes him worthy of a roster spot???

This is a goddamn circus shitshow.  Tannebaum and Gase are both clueless idiots that are taking a bad team and making it even worse.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:46 pm

they just got rid of Jamil Douglas as well.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:47 pm

rightchea wrote:they just got rid of Jamil Douglas as well.

He sucks too, and it was stupid to keep moving him from the practice squad to the active roster - should have just cut him and signed someone else in the first place.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:37 pm

I'm sorry, but...it's just too late for me too get excited about this. Or for it to matter. And where is the O-line depth now? What happens if there's even one injury, let alone the 3 or 4 you know are coming?

Being happy about this is like being happy about a grown man successfully tying his shoes on the tenth try. That's nice, but now it's breakfast time and he's late for work.

Couldn't agree with Jmp more that it makes Gase look stupid. Also, it signifies a power struggle between him and Tannenbaum. Any guesses on who wins that one?

I now officially expect Gase himself to be given the proverbial heave-ho sometime in November.

But hey, we'll always have those wacky fun times when he actually expected us to buy that Tunsil hadn't "earned' a spot over Thomas, right? Laughing Laughing Laughing

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:14 pm

All I've seen from Gase so far are knee-jerk reactions:
--Maxwell has a couple of bad games? Bench him, even though the only other CB on the roster isn't ready to play.
--Turner starts his first game ever and plays like crap? Don't try to coach him up - just cut him - even though we don't have a better option. (I would add that Turner just might be the best run blocker on the entire line...not that that says much, but still...)
--Thomas was good enough in Gase's eyes to hold down the starting LG job from April to late August, and then was good enough to start at LG over Urbik, but he had a bad game? Cut him.

What kind of message is this sending to the players? If you have a bad game, you're out??? We as fans can sit here and talk all the crap we want about these guys, and I will certainly not shed a tear for Turner or Thomas, but on what planet does any of this make sense??? You go from starter to off the team overnight?? Huh?

Whatever happened to coaching, and teaching young players? Say what you want about Turner, and he has been awful, but you're telling me that he's got no skills to work with? I'm not buying that, especially when you replace him with a journeyman nobody who Turner actually beat for a roster spot 40 days ago.

Maybe Turner would have played better if Gase gave him some help in pass pro, by putting a TE next to him. Nope, makes more sense to stick him on an island the first time he's ever played the position, right? It's just beyond stupid.

And again, how is it that these guys were good enough to be on the final roster holding top backup positions at the beginning of September, but now before we even reach mid-October they aren't even good enough to be on the team?

And remember: Gase made this roster. All of these mistakes he's trying to make up for were his mistakes!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:16 pm

If I'm a Fins player, I'm slipping in the shower and getting a concussion just serious enough to miss the rest of this season, if ya get my drift.

I still might get cut by Gase, but at least I'll get an injury settlement out of it.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:24 pm

I'd demand a trade if I were Wake, and if we get a 5th for him, that's fine. Time to start amassing picks, regardless of when they are in the draft.

I will admit, I'm very happy about these shitburgers getting released. I feel too that it's a bit late for this, but at least he's doing it, so I'll give him props for that. What is abundantly apparent right now, though, is that Gase is not ready for primetime coaching, OR, that he doesn't have much say in talent acquisition. If it's the latter, then he's going to get screwed here, but I haven't seen much gameday coaching that makes me think he knows what he's doing.

We would have been better off with an asshole like Mike Shannahan (as much as I hate him). We've tried the "offensive guru" a couple times now, and it doesn't seem to be working very well. Should have just stuck with Campbell, even though he was also over his head, I think he's going to swim and not sink. All these guys we've been saddled with are stones, plummeting to the bottom.

So, how long before all the vets quit? Have they already all quit, or do they perceive this as a good move. As I said, if I'm a vet and I want to win, I'm walking down to the GM's office and asking to be traded. If I'm not traded, then I'm definitely "slipping in the shower".

I'd start looking to trade Ryan Tannehill too. His value isn't too high, but something is better than nothing. I'd rather have a 3rd rounder than a career project at QB.

Bridgewater or Bradford could be available next season via trade. Something to think about.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:16 am

JMP wrote:But it's too late now.  Turner and Thomas should have been released well before the season started.

totally agree.  this move should have been made in the off-season when they could've found capable replacements who could've had the benefit of a full training camp.  its the right move, just way too late - and that falls on Tannenbaum and Gase.

so does this seal it - that the first 3 out of 4 drafts picks will now be spent on offensive linemen?  or will Tannenbaum make the off-season splash yet again and overpay often-injured free agents to fill the holes?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:56 am

I not sure how much that fall on Gase. Turner and Thomas were both backup and basically made them unusable for first string but this is definitely Tannebaum fault to the highest degree. He was there last year and saw the horrific sight from their play, he should have not given them the benefit of the doubt and dropped them himself before Gase was even hired.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:03 am

or will Tannenbaum make the off-season splash yet again and overpay often-injured free agents to fill the holes?

There have been some teams in the recent past that have balked at paying elite Guards the money they are asking for. Our best bet is something happens like that this coming offseason. For us, signing an elite guard would make a lot of sense, since we have two young tackles on their rookie deal still.

We have a 1st and 2nd, but no 3rd and 4th this year. I'd use the top two picks on either an elite DE or CB. DT would not be out of the question either. TE or WR would even be a consideration if there is a prospect that looks like he could be elite. Otherwise, I'm trying to sign someone like Martellus Bennett in free agency.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:04 am

rightchea wrote:I not sure how much that fall on Gase. Turner and Thomas were both backup and basically made them unusable for first string but this is definitely Tannebaum fault to the highest degree. He was there last year and saw the horrific sight from their play, he should have not given them the benefit of the doubt and dropped them himself before Gase was even hired.

Gase has control over the final roster.  He chose to not only keep both players, but he is the one that made both of them the primary backups on the team, and he's the one that made Thomas a starter for almost the entire offseason.

It's true that Tannenbaum should have dumped those guys the second last season ended, at least Thomas, but he didn't - and Gase didn't either.  Bottom line...Gase thought these guys were good enough just 40 days ago - so this falls squarely on his shoulders.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:20 am

It's true that Tannenbaum should have dumped those guys the second last season ended, at least Thomas, but he didn't - and Gase didn't either. Bottom line...Gase thought these guys were good enough just 40 days ago - so this falls squarely on his shoulders.

Agreed. I am encouraged by the fact that Gase recognized a mistake and refused to live with it any longer. Past coaches and regimes have stuck with bad players far too long (Egnew is one example that leaps to mind). A coach willing to move past mistakes quickly has a chance to churn the roster into something better.

So there's that. A small thing I know, but something.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:41 am

white1 wrote:
It's true that Tannenbaum should have dumped those guys the second last season ended, at least Thomas, but he didn't - and Gase didn't either.  Bottom line...Gase thought these guys were good enough just 40 days ago - so this falls squarely on his shoulders.

Agreed.  I am encouraged by the fact that Gase recognized a mistake and refused to live with it any longer.  Past coaches and regimes have stuck with bad players far too long (Egnew is one example that leaps to mind).  A coach willing to move past mistakes quickly has a chance to churn the roster into something better.  

So there's that.  A small thing I know, but something.

Sure, it's great to cut dead wood from the roster - but if all you're doing is replacing them with more dead wood...what's the point?  Is Sam Young going to be any better than Turner/Thomas?  Gase certainly didn't think so 40 days ago!  Maybe we could have found upgrades if we cut them in July or August, but now?  Too late - all you can do is add more scrubs at this point.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:55 pm

We all knew there was something screwy going on ever since Dallas Thomas was drafted, made the team, and kept making the team, and kept starting when it was obvious he stinks on sub-zero ice.

That it took this long for this coaching staff/front office to realize how badly he stinks just makes me realize I am completely justified in thinking the whole organization's leaders are complete imbeciles.

This whole season has been tragi-comic and it continues. When crap like this was happening to the Jets or Bills, I would schadenfreude the heck out of it and just giggle like an idjit all day long about it.

And while I find this stuff appalling, I do see the hilarity in it also.

We seem to be caught in the full affects of multiple WORST CASE Scenarios. What if Tannebaum is a clueless nitwit like we thought? What if Gase really is a dumbarse as a HC?
What if anyone and everyone to do with personnel evaluation knows less than a bunch goobers on an anonymous internet message board?

You have to feel SOMEWHAT sorry for Ross. He pumped a lot of money into the stadium renovations, and now the team is in need of a wholesale complete renovation.

That will not happen IMO.

sigh
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:57 am

Gase seemed to say the Dolphins kept Thomas and Turner, who were both cut Tuesday, on the roster as reserves because they couldn’t find anyone better.

“A lot of times everybody thinks it’s really easy to just say, ‘Hey, let’s go grab this guy,’ ” Gase said.

“I mean, who’s out there? We’ve got a list of guys that we’re always tracking and evaluating. This is part of our evaluation process. At the time, that’s where we were at. That was the roster we went with and we decided to make a change.”

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/dolphins-blog/sfl-adam-gase-answers-two-important-questions-20161013-story.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sports%2FMiamiDolphinsweblog+%28Miami+Dolphins+%7C+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs%29

wait - what?? this front office had the entire offseason and was unable to find anyone better than Dallas Thomas? i mean, isn't that their job - to improve the roster? this is a total fail.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next