The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins pick?

+8
CarsonChris
HalCHorn
mercury22nathan
DolFan 316
JEGnj
Birdmond
Degarmo
Lacesout
12 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Dolphins pick?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Dolphins pick?

Post by DolFan 316 Fri May 01, 2015 8:43 pm

Pot Brownies pick Nate Orchard. What did everybody think about him?

Now get a damn guard already.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri May 01, 2015 8:46 pm

The hell?!?! Shocked

A DEFENSIVE tackle?!?!

Well boys, looks like it's back to the Same Old Fins we all know and cringe at...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri May 01, 2015 8:48 pm

Was really hoping OG or one of the RB's. Phillips has some durability/injury concerns.

Definitely a run-stopper, which isn't unwelcome, but doesn't do much for the pass rush IMO.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Fri May 01, 2015 8:51 pm

I'm pleased with this pick.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri May 01, 2015 8:55 pm

Birdmond wrote:I'm pleased with this pick.

Why? Have you heard something about Phillips being converted to guard?

Lions just got Abdullah BTW. Would've much rather had him.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri May 01, 2015 8:58 pm

Ravens just took Maxx Williams. Other teams are taking playmakers while the Fins pick a lineman on the wrong side of the ball Mad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Fri May 01, 2015 9:02 pm

One of the top 10 athletes in the draft at 330 LB's. No brainer. LLLLLLLUUUUUUVVVV IT.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri May 01, 2015 9:13 pm

Meh. I haven't even heard of most of these scrubs being picked now. This draft seems more shallow than a mud puddle. I hear Phillips has durability concerns, which means on this team he'll get injured for the season in camp.

Then again, they could've been dumb enough to take Gregory like the Cowboys just did Laughing

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri May 01, 2015 9:26 pm

The fact we took a dt means we are drafting bpa and not for need. I like that.

With that said this guy better be good.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri May 01, 2015 9:31 pm

Bucs nab Ali Marpet. Now I'm pissed Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri May 01, 2015 9:33 pm

I see no 3rd round pick listed for the Fins. So what the hell did they get from the Philly trade???

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri May 01, 2015 9:34 pm

white1 wrote:The fact we took a dt means we are drafting bpa and not for need. I like that.

I'm not convinced he was the BPA.

With that said this guy better be good.

He needs to be starting next season or wasted pick. You don't draft players in the second to be backups for 3 years. At least, the good teams don't.

Any guard they took there would've started right away barring injury. Maybe they think they can get one in the 7th that's better than Thomas. And they may be right.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri May 01, 2015 9:44 pm

Found out the big trade down only got the Fins two FIFTHS--and they gave up a sixth to boot! Good LORD they got hosed Shocked

Seriously, why even trade down at all for that garbage?!?!

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri May 01, 2015 11:31 pm

Eric Rowe was right where I predicted. That pisses me off!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat May 02, 2015 12:30 am

I didn't like the trade at all...does seem like we got hosed, as 316 said.

BUT...

I really like the Jordan Phillips pick. I had him going at #19, so to see the Phins get him at 52(?) is excellent value for me. Now, Phillips does have warts...conditioning being #1, and he has had back issues...not good for a big man. But, the biggest issue the Phins had along the DL is a lack of ability to stop the run. Phillips could very well change that. When he's at the top of his game, he's a beast. The Phins need to get him at a good weight and keep him there, and if he can do that, the sky's the limit.

Before this pick, I thought the Phins' depth at DL was crap...I don't think much of AJ Francis or Anthony Johnson. And, Earl Mitchell isn't much of a run stuffer. I feel much better about the position now. I envision a combo of Suh and Phillips on early downs, and good luck to any team that wants to run on that front.

This was purely a BPA pick, and I'm 100% on board with that strategy. There were other players I would have considered over Phillips, but like I said, to get a first round talent at pick 52 is a good thing. I'll take that every time.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat May 02, 2015 12:42 am

JMP wrote:I didn't like the trade at all...does seem like we got hosed, as 316 said.

There's literally no point in making that trade unless you're getting a 3rd. WTF are they going to do with all those 5ths? I was hoping they'd use them to trade back up into the 3rd but they didn't so now what? Just blows my mind...

I really like the Jordan Phillips pick.  I had him going at #19, so to see the Phins get him at 52(?) is excellent value for me.  Now, Phillips does have warts...conditioning being #1, and he has had back issues...not good for a big man.  But, the biggest issue the Phins had along the DL is a lack of ability to stop the run.  Phillips could very well change that.  When he's at the top of his game, he's a beast.  The Phins need to get him at a good weight and keep him there, and if he can do that, the sky's the limit.

So other than being out of shape with health issues, Phillips is great! Rolling Eyes

Every single time a Fins pick has to be defended in this manner, it's gone bad. Every. Single. Time.

Besides, you can't say the running game isn't important and then turn around and act like run D suddenly is. Well okay, you can but you're contradicting yourself Razz

All I can tell you is, my bust radar went off big-time. And you know what that means...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat May 02, 2015 12:55 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Besides, you can't say the running game isn't important and then turn around and act like run D suddenly is. Well okay, you can but you're contradicting yourself

Well, when the run D is as bad as it was for the Phins at the end of the season, then yeah, it's very important. And, $60 million guaranteed or not, Suh alone is not the answer. We needed a true run-stuffing DT, and we still need a true MLB.

What happened last season cannot happen again. Teams ran on us at will, making the defense exhausted and in turn leading to tons of points being given up.

And - I wanted Todd Gurley, so I do think the running game still has it's place.

Phillips could turn out to be a bust, as could any player (especially in this weak draft class!) But at 52, I think it was a risk worth taking, because Phillips could be a key piece to the defense if he pans out. It also paves the way for us to dump Mitchell's semi-high salary next season when Suh and Tannehill are taking up half of the damn salary cap!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sat May 02, 2015 12:57 am

Phillips is great. He's a 11-12 tackle a year player with injury, motivation, and conditioning issues. I thought we got rid of Jeff Ireland?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat May 02, 2015 1:09 am

WELL...nothing to do now except see if the Fins somehow manage to find starters or eventual starters at guard and LB with their ever-growing arsenal of 5th round picks. Maybe there's another Zach out there...

(FYI in the '96 draft JJ took Gardener, who Phillips strikes me as a lesser version of, and Zach was actually the third of his 5th round picks. Eerie.)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1996&year_max=1996&type=&round_min=1&round_max=30&slot_min=1&slot_max=500&league_id=&team_id=mia&pos_new=qb&pos_new=rb&pos_new=wr&pos_new=te&pos_new=e&pos_new=t&pos_new=g&pos_new=c&pos_new=ol&pos_new=dt&pos_new=de&pos_new=dl&pos_new=ilb&pos_new=olb&pos_new=lb&pos_new=cb&pos_new=s&pos_new=db&pos_new=k&pos_new=p&college_id=all&conference=any&show=all&order_by=

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat May 02, 2015 1:09 am

CarsonChris wrote:Phillips is great. He's a 11-12 tackle a year player with injury, motivation, and conditioning issues. I thought we got rid of Jeff Ireland?

Nah, in round two Fireland would have drafted a guard that everyone else had ranked as a 4th rounder. Fireland didn't know the definition of "best player available"...he drafted strictly for need.

The problem in round two was that by the time the Phins picked, there wasn't much left. Take a look at the guys chosen after Phillips...not one of them, except maybe Jake Fisher, would have been a better pick than Phillips IMHO. I liked Ali Marpet, but do you really want this Dolphins' staff trying to develop a small-school lineman???

Now, had the Phins stayed at 47 instead of making that stupid trade, they could've had their pick of Denzel Perryman, Nate Orchard, Eric Rowe or Ronald Darby. I gladly would've taken any of those guys over Phillips. But, we desperately needed more 5th rounders (ha!) so we missed out on all those guys and were left with the best of the rest...which I truly believe was Phillips. So, I can't criticize the Phillips pick...but I can definitely criticize the trade down.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat May 02, 2015 1:20 am

JMP wrote:The problem in round two was that by the time the Phins picked, there wasn't much left.  Take a look at the guys chosen after Phillips...not one of them, except maybe Jake Fisher, would have been a better pick than Phillips IMHO.  I liked Ali Marpet, but do you really want this Dolphins' staff trying to develop a small-school lineman???

And you think the Bucs will develop him with Lovie "Death Before Offense" Smith around? Last year Hickey couldn't get enough small school players but NOW he shies away???

Besides, drafting Marpet sure beats not drafting *any* guards.

Now, had the Phins stayed at 47 instead of making that stupid trade, they could've had their pick of Denzel Perryman, Nate Orchard, Eric Rowe or Ronald Darby.  I gladly would've taken any of those guys over Phillips.  But, we desperately needed more 5th rounders (ha!) so we missed out on all those guys and were left with the best of the rest...which I truly believe was Phillips.  So, I can't criticize the Phillips pick...but I can definitely criticize the trade down.

HA!!! I KNEW you'd find something if you just thought about it long enough Twisted Evil

Seriously, if you're not going to take a guard there, at least take somebody who will make more of an impact than a big blob DT who might not even play that much due to being injury-prone and out of shape anyway. If they really wanted Phillips that much why even waste time trading down FIVE SPOTS? Why bother when all you get out of it is a 5th--and remember, they gave up their 6th as well!

Maybe they tried and tried and that's the best deal they could get. I HOPE that's the case. I could at least kinda accept that.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sat May 02, 2015 2:00 am

I hope Phillips becomes the type of player I want to root for. Right now I'm disappointed.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat May 02, 2015 2:02 am

Hope and $10 will get you a medium sized cup of coffee at Starbuck's.

I'd rather have the Fins draft somebody (for once) that I don't have to HOPE will overcome all his obvious flaws to be more than just average. Parker looks like he might be that guy. Phillips, not so much.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat May 02, 2015 9:05 am

CarsonChris wrote:I hope Phillips becomes the type of player I want to root for.   Right now I'm disappointed.

I am surprised as well. I was hoping for a OG or a LB but I knew when Miami traded down they weren't going to get anyone of the players that I wanted Miami to get. Hickory just lost cool points

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sat May 02, 2015 9:56 am

TJ Clemmons is available.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next