The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins pick?

+8
CarsonChris
HalCHorn
mercury22nathan
DolFan 316
JEGnj
Birdmond
Degarmo
Lacesout
12 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Dolphins pick?  - Page 3 Empty Re: Dolphins pick?

Post by Degarmo Sat May 02, 2015 10:24 am

Bird is right, and Phillips is projected as one of the better players. With that said, I don't have any great love for the pick. I understand it, but I just don't "feel" it here in the 2nd round. We had much more important areas of concern, like the middle linebacker position, or perhaps a playmaking TE for when Cameron gets hit with a stiff breeze and goes out with a Trent-Green-esque concussion. (I really like Cameron by the way, but head injuries tend to be a rough one). Trading down in this spot really got to me because there were guys that were on the board that were taken between our previous pick which we traded and the one we got.

I hope this kid is an anchor in the middle of the line for years to come, and I surmise that Hickenbaum feels that in this division the way to get to the title is through run defense, which with Geno Smith and EJ Manuel may very well be the truth, but they better never get past our DL, because the LBs are, as Sasha Baron Cohen's character (Jean Girard) would say, are sheeit!

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat May 02, 2015 10:26 am

That is true and unless they are going after him there I am worried what Miami is heading

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat May 02, 2015 11:39 am

Liked the 1st round pick a lot.

Did not like the 2nd round pick. Just don't think he'll pan out. I'm thinking more Barron Tanner (in a best case scenario) than Gardener.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sat May 02, 2015 12:24 pm

I like guys that produce in college for multiple years. He wasn't productive. He projects as being productive. He moves people when he wants. The question is when does he want it?

We need to draft guys that love football. I think Phillips tried hard to get a pay day. Now that he got paid will he try hard or will he wash out?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat May 02, 2015 12:56 pm

We reached for a guard in the fourth, first departure from bpa approach today.

At least it happened in the fourth and not the first
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat May 02, 2015 1:09 pm

Jamil Douglas seems like a major reach and a wasted pick. Definitely not BPA. Not happy at all...this is what happens when you reach for need.

Still some good LBs available...gotta grab one in the 5th.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sat May 02, 2015 1:20 pm

There goes Buck Allen. To a team that knows running backs. Figures. I have this draft dialed in and the Miami goes and fucks it up!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat May 02, 2015 2:04 pm

Yeah Miami picks haven't excited me since picking Parker

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat May 02, 2015 2:23 pm

did my eye deceive me or did Miami draft a RB

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat May 02, 2015 5:23 pm

So I take it that aside from the Parker pick, this has been a typical Fins draft full of bumblers, busts and bums?

Wouldn't have had to reach for a guard in the 4th if they'd just picked Ali Marpet or somebody else in the second. They knew going in they didn't have a third so when they traded down why the hell didn't they make sure to get one?

On the other hand it feels oddly comforting in a twisted sort of way to be able to complain about a Fins draft. Like a yearly ritual. Plus I'm glad it's not just me Smile

Forget all this BPA stuff, if you have glaring, desperate needs going into a draft you fill them. PERIOD. Find a way to marry your needs to the BPA at the time you draft, it really shouldn't be that hard. And it's not for the good teams.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat May 02, 2015 7:12 pm

Three inside linebackers signed as udfas - I am fine with that approach lets see if one can earn a spot
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat May 02, 2015 7:15 pm

white1 wrote:Three inside linebackers signed as udfas - I am fine with that approach lets see if one can earn a spot

That's the only approach we ever take to LBs...late round picks and undrafted FAs (and sometimes overpaid FA busts as well).  And then we sit back and wonder why we have the worst LB corps in the league every year. The only difference this time is that I think Mike Hull and Jeff Luc can actually play...so maybe our luck will change this time. Glad we got both of those guys.

Last edited by JMP on Sat May 02, 2015 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Sat May 02, 2015 7:17 pm

Mike Hull, Jeff Luc and Zack Vigil. Not bad at all.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat May 02, 2015 7:24 pm

Birdmond wrote:Mike Hull, Jeff Luc and Zack Vigil.  Not bad at all.

Wait...so they DID get Luc after all???

Not that I'm going to pretend they somehow *knew* he'd go undrafted al along and this was part of a master plan but at least SOMETHING went right this weekend Smile

Although I do have to say Jmp's pessimism is infectious Laughing

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat May 02, 2015 7:29 pm

JMP wrote:
white1 wrote:Three inside linebackers signed as udfas - I am fine with that approach lets see if one can earn a spot

That's the only approach we ever take to LBs...late round picks and undrafted FAs (and sometimes overpaid FA busts as well).  And then we sit back and wonder why we have the worst LB corps in the league every year.  The only difference this time is that I think Mike Hull and Jeff Luc can actually play...so maybe our luck will change this time.  Glad we got both of those guys.

The Fins have drafted 12 LBs since '04. Only one has been higher than the 3rd round (Misi) and seven of them have been in the 5th or lower. Vernon is the only one who's amounted to anything, and I'm not even sure he should be listed as a LB at all. Maybe Jenkins will be good, but he'd be the only true LB to do so.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=2004&year_max=2014&type=&round_min=1&round_max=30&slot_min=1&slot_max=500&league_id=&team_id=mia&pos_new=ilb&pos_new=olb&pos_new=lb&college_id=all&conference=any&show=all&order_by=draft_pick&order_by_asc=ASC

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat May 02, 2015 7:37 pm

What about Wes Saxton or LaDarius Gunter or even Malcolm Brown if Jay knee doesn't survive

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Sat May 02, 2015 8:10 pm

second highest rated player after Parker was 72 given to the Rb from Boise state. Who is best at catching the ball with 77 catches the last two years. I would give this Draft a C- and only because they got Parker or this would be Lower.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat May 02, 2015 8:16 pm

finskev wrote:second highest rated player after Parker was 72 given to the Rb from Boise state. Who is best at catching the ball with 77 catches the last two years. I would give this Draft a C- and only because they got Parker or this would be Lower.

I'd give it a D for the same reason (Parker pick), but I suppose I could upgrade to C- if only for the McCain pick Smile

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat May 02, 2015 8:38 pm

finskev wrote:second highest rated player after Parker was 72 given to the Rb from Boise state. Who is best at catching the ball with 77 catches the last two years. I would give this Draft a C- and only because they got Parker or this would be Lower.    

I actually do like Ajayi, but he's got an awful lot of question marks. Honestly, the fumbles are as big an issue as the knee to me. He's an excellent receiver, and I think that's what he's best at. He can certainly help, but I just don't know how trustworthy he is in terms of both health and ball security.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat May 02, 2015 9:06 pm

Everything Omar is saying about the Phillips pick I agree with, and that scares me pale affraid

I also agree that if the Fins had taken Marpet in the second and Phillips in the 4th this draft suddenly looks quite a bit better.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Sat May 02, 2015 9:07 pm

I'm giving this draft an A- . I'm not going to debate it. I'm very pleased and I'll let time prove I'm correct. Still think the team is doomed because of Philbin but I'm happy with HickeyBaum.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat May 02, 2015 9:08 pm

Birdmond wrote:I'm giving this draft an A- .   I'm not going to debate it.  I'm very pleased and I'll let time prove I'm correct.  Still think the team is doomed because of Philbin but I'm happy with HickeyBaum.

Duly noted Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sat May 02, 2015 11:40 pm

I watched some tape on Phillips. He has a better motor than I thought.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun May 03, 2015 12:46 am

I think I'd grade the draft a C+ right now, with Parker being the only pick that has any chance of earning a starting job in 2015.

Parker is a good fit and should have a big role from day one.

Phillips could be the huge run stuffer we lacked last season, and if he keeps his weight in check and his back is OK he will be a future starter. But - the trade down to acquire Phillips has to be factored in, and it was really an awful trade that saw the Phins missing out on quite a few players that were much better than any of their other picks on day 3.

Jamil Douglas sounds like Jonathan Martin 2.0...weak and soft.

Bobby McCain is 5'9" and played for Memphis (no offense, 316...) Sure, he might find a home on STs because he can tackle, but realistically this guy has very little chance of succeeding as a defensive back at the next level.

Jay Ajayi has some serious skills and could potentially replace Miller next season - but he's slow, fumbles a lot and has serious knee issues.

Ced Thompson has the potential to be a starting FS a few years down the road, but currently has zero instincts and appears to be a liability in the run game. A safety that can't make plays against the run is not a good thing. A project at best.

Tony Lippett has played both WR and CB, and the Phins apparently plan to use him at corner. He's huge and has the body of a modern-day corner...but he's got to be considered nothing more than a raw project at this stage.

On the plus side, this is the type of draft that should lead to Philbin and Hickey getting axed at season's end.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun May 03, 2015 12:55 am

JMP wrote:Bobby McCain is 5'9" and played for Memphis (no offense, 316...)  Sure, he might find a home on STs because he can tackle, but realistically this guy has very little chance of succeeding as a defensive back at the next level.

McCain is the second best pick of this draft. Mark my words.

On the plus side, this is the type of draft that should lead to Philbin and Hickey getting axed at season's end.

It really does seem as if this draft was engineered by Tannenbaum specifically to get Philbin fired and Hickey at least demoted. Just another step in turning this team into Jets South.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next