The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Offensive Coordinator search ends with Studesville/Godsey, Charlie Frye new QB coach

+6
HalCHorn
Degarmo
DolFan 316
Killah Sith
white1
JMP
10 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Offensive Coordinator search ends with Studesville/Godsey, Charlie Frye new QB coach - Page 2 Empty Re: Offensive Coordinator search ends with Studesville/Godsey, Charlie Frye new QB coach

Post by JMP Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:53 pm

CarsonChris wrote:If I’m not mistaken everyone on this forum said receiver was a strength on the team at the beginning of the year. Suddenly we don’t have anyone that can catch or play in the NFL.

Huh? Are you aware that:
--Parker was hurt all season, missing games and playing hurt when he was in.
--Williams only played a game and a half with Tua.
--Grant was the #1 receiver while Parker was out - 'nuff said. And then he ended up on IR.
--Bowden became Tua's favorite target - a rookie that didn't play till week 13.
--Gesicki got hurt in week 14, missed a game and played hurt the last two games.
--RBs Gaskin, Ahmed and Breida all missed games with injuries.

But I guess none of that matters. Having Lynn Bowden, Mack Hollins, Durham Smythe and Isaiah Ford as your top receivers - with no running game and an OL starting 3 rookies - wouldn't impact any QB, right? Rolling Eyes

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Offensive Coordinator search ends with Studesville/Godsey, Charlie Frye new QB coach - Page 2 Empty Re: Offensive Coordinator search ends with Studesville/Godsey, Charlie Frye new QB coach

Post by CarsonChris Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:31 pm

Mr 4.27 YPA or 17/22 94 is going to be so much better if we replace the line, the receivers, and the running backs!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:47 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Except Tua didn’t throw a deep ball. Where did Parker’s play go after Tua started? Deep ball, longest completion was 35 yards. I watched Heinekee throw more deep balls for the Redskins in one playoff game then I saw Tua throw in 9 games.

Looks like it's just you and me now. And it also looks like Tua is Alex Smith to Herbert's Aaron Rodgers.

Oh well. I just hope I'm alive by the time the next season starts--if it does.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:39 pm

Tua insulted my eyes when I watched. I have no issues with upgrading the skill positions. Having great skill positions will help us no matter who the QB is. My question is why hasn’t Grier upgraded the skill positions while he’s been here? I say we upgrade the front office!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:58 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Mr 4.27 YPA or 17/22 94 is going to be so much better if we replace the line, the receivers, and the running backs!

Hey, it worked for Josh Allen. Funny how he was absolute dogshit till the Bills got Diggs and Beasley. Also interesting to see Tannehill with a top RB and strong OL. But yeah, I guess QBs don't actually need OL, RBs or receivers.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:03 pm

anyone interested in Doug Pederson as an OC? he held the position with KC under Any Reid and ran some pretty successful offenses (pre-Mahomes) with less than stellar talent. he obviously guided the Eagles to a super bowl with a backup QB and some very creative playcalling. and...

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie’s decision to fire coach Doug Pederson may have stemmed from a difference of opinion about who should be the team’s starting quarterback going forward.

Pederson thinks Jalen Hurts gives the Eagles the best chance to win, and Lurie wants to salvage Carson Wentz, according to Troy Aikman, who said on Michael Irvin’s podcast that he spoke to Pederson after Pederson was fired.

“I reached out to Doug Pederson yesterday when I heard the news,” Aikman said. “What I gathered it came down to was a difference of opinion as to how they’re moving forward at the quarterback position, is what I sensed. Jeff Lurie, the owner, has paid a lot of money to Carson Wentz, and they’re on the hook with him, they can’t get out of that contract right away. It’s my belief that Doug Pederson felt that Jalen Hurts is probably the quarterback going forward. And how does that mesh?”

https://sports.yahoo.com/troy-aikman-doug-pederson-wanted-103418337.html

so he sees the values of a player like Hurts and wants to run a offense around him. you'll recall that Tua replaced Hurts at Alabama. just imagine what Pederson could design in Miami for Tua?

oh, and don't forget there is a franchise tie-in. Pederson won Shula his record setting 325th victory as the QB after Marino and Mitchell were injured.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:20 pm

I like Tony Elliot above all others that have been announced. The favorite seems to be Pep Hamilton or Godsey.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:54 pm

Cameron Wolfe
@CameronWolfe
·
Jan 14, 2021
List of Dolphins interview candidates, per source

Dolphins RB coach Eric Studesville
Dolphins QB coach George Godsey
Clemson OC Tony Elliott
Chargers QB coach Pep Hamilton
49ers run game coordinator Mike McDaniel
Steelers QB coach Matt Canada

Cameron Wolfe
@CameronWolfe
Though it was never announced, George Godsey became Dolphins QB coach in the second half of the year.

I'd keep a close eye on Studesville, McDaniel, Canada and Elliott among this group.

Interviews begun this week and are still ongoing.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:05 pm

IG: JosinaAnderson
@JosinaAnderson
I'm told the #Dolphins have reached out to Clemson OC Tony Elliott, as did the #Titans--just to gauge his interest--with current OC Arthur Smith interviewing for current HC vacancies. However, Elliott informed both teams he wants to stay at Clemson for the time being, per source.

Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
Dolphins are believed to be taking a hard look at Steelers QBs coach Matt Canada for OC. Canada consulted with Miami last year, acquitted himself well in Pittsburgh.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:28 pm

Will Canada run the same offense that went 1-5 in Pittsburgh down the stretch?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:24 pm

Will Canada run the same offense that went 1-5 in Pittsburgh down the stretch?

IMO their defense really fell off a cliff. They went from world-beaters to a group that gave up 28 unanswered points to the Browns in a single quarter.

Valid critique but let's remember, this is also the team that started 11-0. A lot of things went wrong in Pittsburgh but it's hard to pin it all on the OC. Big Ben, IMO, looks washed up.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:49 pm

I want nothing to do with anyone or anything from Canada right now.

Pederson seems like the best idea to me, if he's interested in being busted down to OC again.

Pep Hamilton sounds like some shady used car dealer, plus last season was his first NFL job in five years, plus is Herbert's QB coach really going to leave that situation for Tua?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:54 pm

Pederson is a great offensive mind...but I wonder if he's too power-hungry.  Doesn't seem like the type Flo would want to work with.

As for Pep Hamilton, it won't be his choice to leave San Diego.  He'll get fired as soon as the new coach is hired, if he hasn't already been let go.

Anyway, from the list, I think the name that intrigues me most is 49ers run game coordinator Mike McDaniel.  I have to look into his background, but that 49ers offense sure is creative - and they can run the ball no matter who the back is.

But overall, I have to say that list is underwhelming.  Of course, how much do any of us really know about these guys?  I was hoping for a hot shot college coach.  I'm not sold on Elliott, because Clemson had a one-read passing game with Lawrence - which I am definitely not a fan of, and isn't a good fit for Tua.

Something I saw online indicated that most/all of these candidates like to use a lot of pre-snap motion...something that was sorely lacking from Gailey's offense.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:49 pm

There is only one good thing to come of hiring the Steelers guy, and that's that South Park song.

Offensive Coordinator search ends with Studesville/Godsey, Charlie Frye new QB coach - Page 2 Q2SuxGh

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:11 pm

Very Happy

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:01 am

So, sounds like McDaniel is all in on the Kubiak/Shanahan offense - so likely he would bring some version of that to Miami. This offense asks for versatility from the WRs and RBs. It also uses a zone blocking scheme, and my question for our resident OL expert merc is: do our young OL fit that scheme? I'm thinking Jackson does...not so sure about Hunt and Kindley???

Canada's offense is built around moving pieces and tons of pre-snap motion...the Steelers used more motion than any other team. The idea is to keep the defense guessing, and allow the QB to quickly identify mismatches pre-snap.

Seems like Flores wants his offense to be multiple, just like his defense. I think both schemes fit Tua well.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:25 am

Based on the underwhelming list of candidates, it appears this is a perfunctory process to hand Godsey the job.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:37 am

mercury22nathan wrote:Based on the underwhelming list of candidates, it appears this is a perfunctory process to hand Godsey the job.

I do like Godsey...he's supposedly a super-intelligent guy, and he has coached a variety of positions in his career.  He's done a great job with our TEs, and he did a good job with Tua this season.  He was a QB in college...I remember watching him on TV with Georgia Tech, where he set some school passing records.  

But is he an offensive coordinator???  I'm not sure.  In his one OC job with the Texans in 2015 and 2016, their offense was near the bottom of the league in scoring both seasons - but to be fair, his top QBs those years were Brian Hoyer and Brock Osweiler, so really, those offenses had no chance of being good.

Just too much uncertainty with Godsey, IMO.  Then again, Mike McDaniel might be my top choice and he's never even been a coordinator before - so who knows.

Last edited by JMP on Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:48 am

JMP wrote:It also uses a zone blocking scheme, and my question for our resident OL expert merc is: do our young OL fit that scheme?  I'm thinking Jackson does...not so sure about Hunt and Kindley???

yes, this would be a change in philosophy back towards more mobile athletic wall and seal blockers. none of the 3 young OL-men have any collegiate experience in that type of scheme (especially Kindley at Georgia smashmouth U) and supposedly were not drafted with the intent to run that type of scheme. this is not to say they couldn't do it, but that they just haven't done it. and so why would you draft a certain type of OL-men with a certain type experience to run a certain scheme - and then change it their second year? i think this would essentially be starting over yet again on the OL. as you said, Jackson probably would have no problem - and may even benefit given that i don't think he'll ever be a true power run blocker - but it would take a season or more to learn. i'm fairly confident Hunt would eventually be able to adjust, again, after a season or two. Kindley, i think would be a lost draft pick if the scheme was changed and would need to be replace.

i'm not in favor of the switch, but if your gonna do it, i guess now is the time considering everything else on the offense is going to change. but my biggest concern is i don't think a zone system is ideal for Tua - and that has to be the biggest consideration. i think the offense that New Orleans runs (which is the old offense the Giants ran in their more recent Super Bowl years and is the offense Tua had success in at Alabama) is the offense Miami needs to run.

mercury22nathan

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:59 am

Great insight, merc!

Yes, I was thinking about the Saints offense, because I do see a lot of similarities between Tua and Brees. I am surprised there are no Saints coaches on Miami's list...or maybe they are waiting till the Saints are out of the playoffs?

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:04 am

Echoing some of your thoughts, merc:

Chris Kouffman
@ckparrot
·
9h
If McDaniel were hired, Miami would almost surely have to replace C Ted Karras, who is not a fit. They could go the FA route. Ben Garland would be the most obvious placeholder.

In the draft, Stanford’s Drew Dalman (Chris Dalman’s son) would probably be the most natural fit.

Kouffman also suggests that our current OL is a much better fit for a Matt Canada offense.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:11 pm

Sounds like Mike McDaniel is going to stay in San Fran, so cross him off the list. He's getting a promotion now that the other 49ers offensive coach, Mike LaFleur, is joining Robert Saleh with the Jets.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:06 pm

Merc, no lie, you should really be analyzing offensive line play for money.  I know a fair bit about football, and apparently, you do as well Wink. Your insights are always excellent. Sorry for the gushing review on our little man cave here, but it is what it is.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:18 pm

Yes, merc is awesome - so glad he's here!!! Love his OL thoughts. cheers

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:39 pm

Cross another one off the list: the Steelers promoted Matt Canada from QB coach to Offensive Coordinator.

That leaves only 3 names from the original list of interviews:
Dolphins RB coach Eric Studesville
Dolphins QB coach George Godsey
Chargers QB coach Pep Hamilton

My guess is Pep will be the guy, but I'm still wondering if the Phins are planning to talk to anyone on the Saints' staff.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next