The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Offensive Coordinator search ends with Studesville/Godsey, Charlie Frye new QB coach

+6
HalCHorn
Degarmo
DolFan 316
Killah Sith
white1
JMP
10 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Offensive Coordinator search ends with Studesville/Godsey, Charlie Frye new QB coach - Page 4 Empty Re: Offensive Coordinator search ends with Studesville/Godsey, Charlie Frye new QB coach

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:53 pm

Bleh. Feh. Meh. What took Flores so long just to promote two coaches to do one job? And why couldn't he have just done this last year instead of dragging Gailey out of retirement?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Offensive Coordinator search ends with Studesville/Godsey, Charlie Frye new QB coach - Page 4 Empty Re: Offensive Coordinator search ends with Studesville/Godsey, Charlie Frye new QB coach

Post by JMP Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:03 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Bleh. Feh. Meh. What took Flores so long just to promote two coaches to do one job? And why couldn't he have just done this last year instead of dragging Gailey out of retirement?

Maybe it didn't take a long time.  The Phins interviewed a bunch of candidates, but for all we know they could have promoted Studesville/Godsey before the Senior Bowl.  This team isn't quick to make announcements, but seeing how everything played out I think that's exactly what happened.

I still think Gailey was hired for one reason and one reason only: Ryan Fitzpatrick.  The Studesville/Godsey/Frye triumvirate is all about Tua.

The more I think about this, the more I like it.  It's the way the league is trending...the Chiefs, Bucs, Rams, 49ers and Packers all have similar structures with their offensive coaching staffs.  Calling them "co-coordinators" is a novel concept, but it's really just semantics...all the teams I mentioned have between 2-4 coaches running their offense.  The Dolphins do it on defense too...assistant DB coach Curt Kuntz runs the team's third down defense, and the Phins had the best third down D in the league.  (BTW, Kuntz is the guy that was a high school coach before the Dolphins hired him.)

Flores isn't afraid to think outside the box.  I welcome that type of forward-thinking instead of sticking with antiquated ideas.

Plus, if you look at all the candidates the Phins interviewed, how many were experienced OCs and playcallers?  It is clear that they weren't looking to hire a veteran OC.  And who's to say Studesville/Godsey can't be as good or better than those other guys?  They're all unknowns.

Last edited by JMP on Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:58 pm

JMP wrote:...assistant DB coach Curt Kuntz . . .

His name must have been fun for him in high school.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:48 am

Degarmo wrote:
JMP wrote:...assistant DB coach Curt Kuntz . . .

His name must have been fun for him in high school.

How do you not change your name in that case??? scratch

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:17 am

when i first heard this news, i was thinking that despite being a good HC, the Miami stupid juice that eventually overwhelms everyone that seems to come in contact with this franchise must've taken its toll on Flores. while i've calmed down a little bit, i am still concerned, but will take a wait and see approach (what other choice do i have) before completely condemning this idea.

from what i've read, this choice is about providing Tua with some consistency - nothing kills QB careers like constantly having to learn new offenses - as they will be running the same offense as Gailey, but with more RPO and some college concepts thrown in. we'll have to see who is actually going to call plays and how game plan disputes will be resolved in the event of differing opinions on how to attack an opponent. this could end up being an effective, cohesive combined effort or a disjointed mess. only time will tell.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:17 am

I agree with Merc; gonna wait and see.

But I will say, when you have two bosses, you ain't got any bosses IMHO.

Also: I have been seeing a Meme going around about a woman who is named "Makunt Izichi"

Shocked
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:36 am

I think the issue is that a lot of people are seeing this as some random, chaotic structure where everyone is butting heads and no one knows who is in charge. I see it as the exact opposite. Nothing in the two years Flores has coached indicates that he would go with a system that in unclear and unstructured. On the contrary, everything he's done has purpose and there are clear lines of delineation. Why would this situation be any different? Based on Flores' coaching tenure, I am 100% sure that everyone involved is on board and clear with how things will work.

It's amazing to me that Dolfans don't trust Flores yet. I remember how he got absolutely killed for hiring Gailey...and then the team scored more points than any season since 1986!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:11 am

Imagine you were dating and the last 6 people you ended up in a relationship with all were absolute horror shows after they'd been built up as great partner material.

One was best friends of a friend of yours and your friend recommended you to them, and they turned out to be a moron of epic proportion.

The next one seemed promising, but you thought they were cheating. They swore up and down they'd never leave you, and poof, off they went to be with someone else.

After that you found another one, who was an even bigger moron than the first.

Then you met a really hard working one, someone whose heart really seemed in the right place, but they just couldn't figure out how to make anything work, and finally you drifted apart.

Into your life comes a nice one, really nice, who turns out to be an anal retentive control freak who also has the intelligence of a gnat. You move on.

Here comes crazy! Your next one is a wide-eyed lunatic who knows nothing about relationships and constantly is off in the other room by themselves, talking out loud to themselves at 3:00 in the morning about how smart they are and how everyone else is an idiot. You bow out.

Finally, a good one with a solid head on their shoulders comes around, and you're very hopeful indeed, as you've pretty much given up. They seemingly do a lot of stuff right, but every once in awhile when they screw up, you jump to conclusions because you're now a dog that's been beat too much and expect the other shoe to drop at any time.

Congratulations, you're a Dolphins fan.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:53 am

Very Happy

LOL Very true, Degarmo - but that's all in the past. We're on the right track now - FINALLY - and good times are ahead. I understand the hesitation, but Flores has been in charge for 2 years and it is pretty clear that he knows what he's doing and the arrow is pointing up for this organization. Will it lead to a dynasty or even a Super Bowl? Who knows...but what I do know is that this team is being run by an intelligent, creative and competent front office and coaching staff.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:40 pm

From my perspective, I'm on board with Flores. I love what he's doing. Now if they can just prove they can bring in top-tier talent at the skill positions, it's perfect.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:20 am

We all have no choice but to wait and see. But the reality is....this regime is willing to take calculated risks. That mentality and mental toughness to trust in themselves, the team and the plan is really something that we haven't seen ever.

All the moves that this team has made has translated into improving now and for the future. 5-11 with a near college roster. 10-6 with a journey man QB and a top 5 pick who didn't play football for almost a year after recovering from a near career ending injury.

I think this is really going to get scary if we nail this draft. This team will have a lot of success next year.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:20 am

Umix10 wrote: 

I think this is really going to get scary if we nail this draft.  This team will have a lot of success next year.

Improve the pass rush on D, and on offense improve the OL and running game and add a couple of playmaking receivers. That may sound like a lot, but all 4 of those things are very possible to achieve this offseason. And if we do, we are a contender without any doubt in my mind.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4