The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Offensive Coordinator search ends with Studesville/Godsey, Charlie Frye new QB coach

+6
HalCHorn
Degarmo
DolFan 316
Killah Sith
white1
JMP
10 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Offensive Coordinator search ends with Studesville/Godsey, Charlie Frye new QB coach - Page 3 Empty Re: Offensive Coordinator search ends with Studesville/Godsey, Charlie Frye new QB coach

Post by Umix10 Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:14 pm

The Saints are out so maybe this is where we might poach someone from the staff.

Continuity has to be a major factor. I'm always in favor of getting better on the offensive side of the ball but the scheme has to be somewhat familiar to the offense to maintain a smooth transition.

We have to consider what changing coordinators and offense's have done to Tannehill.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Offensive Coordinator search ends with Studesville/Godsey, Charlie Frye new QB coach - Page 3 Empty Re: Offensive Coordinator search ends with Studesville/Godsey, Charlie Frye new QB coach

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:06 am

Degarmo wrote:Merc, no lie, you should really be analyzing offensive line play for money.  I know a fair bit about football, and apparently, you do as well Wink.  Your insights are always excellent.  Sorry for the gushing review on our little man cave here, but it is what it is.

Degarmo wrote:Yes, merc is awesome - so glad he's here!!! Love his OL thoughts. cheers

feeling the love. come on guys, get in here...group bro hug! Very Happy

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:10 am

Offensive Coordinator search ends with Studesville/Godsey, Charlie Frye new QB coach - Page 3 Giphy

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:45 pm

LOL - BRO HUG Wink

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:15 pm

I guess we all better do it now before hugging is literally made illegal.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Offensive Coordinator search ends with Studesville/Godsey, Charlie Frye new QB coach - Page 3 Empty Phins hire new Off coaches but not OC

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:08 am

Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores has dipped into the college ranks for two new offensive assistant coaches, including a quarterbacks coach who previously worked with Tua Tagovailoa.

Central Michigan offensive coordinator and former NFL quarterback Charlie Frye will be the Dolphins’ new quarterbacks coach, replacing Robby Brown, who served one year in that role. The Dolphins parted ways with Brown on Saturday.

Bucky Brooks, an NFL Network analyst and former NFL scout, noted on Twitter that Frye was one of Tagovailoa’s coaches at the Elite 11 competition for top high school quarterbacks.

Frye, 39, “has great chemistry with him and understands how to craft plays around his skills,” Brooks said on Twitter.

“Don’t underestimate the value of that previous relationship and connection. Frye is one of the best teachers and communicators that I’ve been around. He is OUTSTANDING with young QBs and he simplifies the game in a way that makes it easy for them. A+ hire with Tua’s long-term development in mind.”

The Dolphins also hired New Mexico quarterback coach Jordan Salkin as an offensive assistant, a source confirmed.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article248718985.html

and what might this mean for for the OC job...

Given how long they’ve gone without a hire — and the fact that the Dolphins have filled a number of other assistant position openings that traditionally occur with the consent, if not the recommendation, of the OC — there’s growing speculation Flores has a preferred candidate lined up, but cannot yet make the hire official because that coach is still alive in the NFL playoffs.

A name that makes a lot of sense: Former University of Miami quarterback Ken Dorsey, who’s currently the quarterbacks coach for the Buffalo Bills.

Dorsey and Charlie Frye — hired by the Dolphins Saturday to coach their quarterbacks — were Cleveland Browns teammates in the mid-2000s.

Dorsey is a man in demand.

The Seattle Seahawks are among the teams also interested in Dorsey potentially running their offense.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article248731830.html

or, it could mean...

Flores has not named a new offensive coordinator. Among those who interviewed who are still available: Godsey, Dolphins running backs coach Eric Studesville and Los Angeles Chargers quarterback coach Pep Hamilton.

It’s unclear if Flores has added additional candidates or whether he has made a hire and simply not announced it.

scratch

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:10 am

No OC yet, but the Phins do have a new QB coach: Charlie Frye. Frye was the Central Michigan OC/QB coach, and is considered an innovative coach who likes to use tempo and lots of pre-snap motion. Frey worked with Tua at Trent Dilfer's Elite 11 camp. SOunds like a great hire to me.

The speculation now is that Ken Dorsey (Bills' QB coach) or Luke Getsy (Packers' passing game coordinator/QB coach) will be the new Dolphins' OC. Matt Canada is also apparently still in the mix.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:16 am

Thanks, Merc. I'm going to merge this with the OC thread - hope that's cool!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:15 am

yep. no worries.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:23 am

I like Ken Dorsey because he played for the Canes and has done a great job with Josh Allen.

But, I think I might lean toward Luke Getsy for OC. I love the way that Packers' passing game is designed. Of course, they have one of the best QBs ever running it, but I just really like the different formations they use, and it seems very receiver-friendly...seems like there's always someone open.

Either way, it seems like Dorsey and Getsy are both strong options if they are indeed in the mix for the Phins.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:52 am

JMP wrote:Either way, it seems like Dorsey and Getsy are both strong options if they are indeed in the mix for the Phins.

and since both of their teams were eliminated yesterday, might we see a hire very soon? or is Miami too focused on coaching the Senior Bowl right now?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:36 pm

Yep, according to this article Adam Beasley is reporting links are in place that Dorsey might be the guy. We have to sell him though, Seahawks reportedly also interested....

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article248731830.html
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:41 pm

Luke Getsy is a name I haven't heard in a long time. Not since he was a QB at Akron and faced Memphis in a bowl game and nearly tied it after trailing by 21 with 3 minutes left. If Akron had managed to get the ball back again, I'm convinced he would have.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2005-12-26-akron.html

So based on that one experience alone, I say hire him Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:54 pm

Why not just ask Fitz to do it? He's about coach age, has been a professional QB for 2,300 years, and has a Harvard education, and he's already got the respect of both the coaching staff as well as Tua.

I guess it'd be all about whether or not he wanted to spend most of his life coaching, since for some reason they are not afforded any semblance of a normal life, even though it's pretty much been proven that at a certain point, you're just staying in the office for some macho proving ground bullshit.

But, digress do I, mmm.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:13 am

Fitz has a beautiful wife, a million kids, and a shit-ton of money. I think he's done with football and is ready to enjoy retirement.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:49 pm

Sure, if that's what motivates you in life, like some kind of a loser Razz

JMP wrote:. . . a million kids . . .
 Are he and Phillip Rivers trying to start their own country or something?

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:16 am

Degarmo wrote:
JMP wrote:. . . a million kids . . .
 Are he and Phillip Rivers trying to start their own country or something?

LOL Seriously!  

Offensive Coordinator search ends with Studesville/Godsey, Charlie Frye new QB coach - Page 3 Duggars

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:18 am

Latest rumor: the Phins are waiting to see what happens with the Chiefs. If Eric Bieniemy doesn't get a head coaching job, the Phins could try to get Chiefs' QB coach Mike Kafka.

Ultimately, it's not a big deal waiting...but I really want to know who the damn OC is going to be!!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:16 pm

When I think Kafka I think giant sentient cockroaches. That's no good.

I know I've said this before, but I know people from families so huge that the oldest child could legit be a parent of the youngest.

Getsy's still got my vote BTW even if it already looks like he's out of the running.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:02 pm

I like Dorsey and Getsy. My guess is it'll be Dorsey.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:20 pm

Oh man.... can't say I'm excited about this news - Fins to use internal candidates as "co-offensive coordinators"

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/02/dolphins-promote-two-assistants-to-co-offensive-coordinators/

Hopefully, this won't be the inscription on Flores tomb stone: "A leader of men, top notch game planning on defense, but never hired a coach with the skill to craft a top tier offense."

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:34 pm

white1 wrote:Oh man.... can't say I'm excited about this news - Fins to use internal candidates as "co-offensive coordinators"

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/02/dolphins-promote-two-assistants-to-co-offensive-coordinators/

Hopefully, this won't be the inscription on Flores tomb stone:  "A leader of men, top notch game planning on defense, but never hired a coach with the skill to craft a top tier offense."

I did like the idea of bringing in new blood, but I'm OK with the Studesville/Godsey combo. They may not be "sexy" names, but both guys are good, well-respected coaches. Studesville really got a lot out of our no-name RB group, and Godsey has done great work with both our TEs and Tua.

Many teams are using the 2-coordinator model these days, typically with one coach handling the passing game and the other the running game. I'm cautiously optimistic.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:16 pm

The good news is if the offense takes off and one of these guys is offered a better position on another team we already have a coordinator familiar with the offense.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:06 pm

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
2h
Sources: The #Dolphins are naming offensive co-coordinators. RBs coach Eric Studesville and QBs coach George Godsey will combine to do the job, as the two strong internal candidates earn promotions.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
2h
New #Dolphins QBs coach Charlie Frye will work directly with the QBs. As a former college OC, I’m told he will also have some input in the offensive vision, as Miami plans to blend NFL and college-style concepts. Similar to what a lot of the top offenses in the NFL do.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:50 pm

I do not approve.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next