The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mac Jones/Devonta Smith

+4
DolFan 316
mercury22nathan
JMP
CarsonChris
8 posters

Go down

Mac Jones/Devonta Smith Empty Mac Jones/Devonta Smith

Post by CarsonChris Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:37 am

Weird how the guy we want to draft says Mac Jones is better than Tua Tagovailoa. That's telling to me when he might be Miami's primary target.

I have this horrible feeling Miami will tank with Tua.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Mac Jones/Devonta Smith Empty Re: Mac Jones/Devonta Smith

Post by JMP Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:37 pm

Don't read too much in this...just a player trying to help out his teammate. Just a couple of weeks ago Smith said he would love to rejoin Tua.

If Tua didn't tank as a rookie with all the crap he had to deal with, I think he'll be just fine. I think he's going to have a fantastic career - he's too good not to.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:39 pm

just so we're all clear, here is what was actually written...

Mac Jones is going to be one of the most interesting draft cases. All 31 teams in attendance at the Senior Bowl had the chance to do a 15-minute speed-dating interview with the Alabama quarterback, but maybe the most interesting anecdote I could possibly give you on him from that week in Mobile comes from his Heisman Trophy winning receiver DeVonta Smith. One team asked Smith, point blank: Tua Tagovailoa or Jones? The question was barely finished before Smith answered: Mac Jones. He was bold and definitive about it, as I heard it. And of course, it’s logical to some degree. Jones was Smith’s quarterback for his historic, 117-catch, 1,856-yard, 23-touchdown season. But to me, it’s notable because it feels almost like Jones is going to have to answer for Tagovailoa’s so-so rookie year, in that both guys had an obscene amount of talent (headlined by a better receiver group than probably a handful of NFL teams) around them. So where could Jones be better than Tagovailoa? He had a rep for being a little more studious than his predecessor at the position, and he has a little better sense and feel when things get muddy around him (though that didn’t happen much behind a Bama line fully stocked with future pros), despite not being quite as athletically gifted as Tagovailoa. Conversely, that physical skill set is a factor—and why some teams do not think he’s a first-rounder. We’ll see where this goes. But either way, how Jones is graded out by teams should, in a certain way, be revealing of what those teams value at the position.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/22/mmqb-carson-wentz-trade-washington-front-office-tim-tebow

so, in fairness, Breer was not present and is basing this item on an anecdote supposedly emanating from another team. Breer does not indicate whether the source was a representative of another team or perhaps an anecdote from a guy, who heard another guy tell some other guy that he heard team "XYZ" asked this question. its very hard to believe much of anything you hear this time of year. could it be another team who wants Smith is trying to cast doubts in hopes that he slips past Miami? maybe its all a smokescreen? you be the judge.

now, if Smith got on his twitter or instagram and posted about how he thought Mac Jones was a better QB - then we might have something to talk about. Very Happy Very Happy

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:19 pm

Just for the record, it is fair to note that Smith was, at best, Tua's #3 target when they played together. Smith was behind Jeudy and Ruggs. After those guys got drafted, Smith was the #1 or #2 (with Waddle) for Jones.

Regardless, all of this pre-draft noise is so silly. It has always been bad, but now in the age of social media almost all news is either fake news or complete nonsense that has no real meaning.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:59 pm

I was hoping none of you guys would find that out pale I'd been sitting on it for about 24 hours.

Smith didn't have to come out and say Jones was a better passer than Tua. There was literally no reason for him to do so and nothing to be gained by it. And yet he did anyway. Talk about telling! Shocked

If he does get drafted by the Fins, that's going to be a bit awkward to say the least.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:03 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:I was hoping none of you guys would find that out pale I'd been sitting on it for about 24 hours.

Smith didn't have to come out and say Jones was a better passer than Tua. There was literally no reason for him to do so and nothing to be gained by it. And yet he did anyway. Talk about telling! Shocked

If he does get drafted by the Fins, that's going to be a bit awkward to say the least.

Not awkward at all. He's already on record as saying he'd love to be back with Tua. This is just a case of a player promoting his teammate. He was probably talking with a team that needs a QB and was building Jones up to help him out. In any case, he put up historic numbers with Jones, so why not throw his QB a bone? And that's IF this story is actually true...which is something we'll probably never know.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:04 am

Hey Im good with it all - pump up Mac Jones as much as possible - would love to see FIVE QBs go in the first round, all the more talent at other spots for us either by trade down, or falls to our 18 pick...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:38 am

Dead media period. They need to put out ridiculous stories to make sure they get the inside scoop which ever way the wind blows. I waiting for the dolphins to get fined for tampering.

Strange how a kid who is injured, goes to the Senior Bowl but wont participate. A bowl that has nothing to do with his draft status other than to speak on a regular basis with a potential team that could draft him. Is it possible that Grier and Flores used this kid to throw the dogs off the scent? Coached him in other things NFL? Like smokescreens. Although quite elaborate if it is but Is it possible.?
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:57 am

oh no, and now Tua has said Mac Jones will be the greatest QB ever (yes, that is sarcasm).

Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa played with Jones in Tuscaloosa before moving on to the NFL and said on a Yahoo Sports podcast that any team that gets Jones is “going to be very lucky” to have him on hand.

“I would say he’s a sly kind of athletic person,” Tagovailoa said. “He’s a more mobile Tom Brady. He’s very athletic, very smart too.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/tua-tagovailoa-mac-jones-more-171327867.html

this is all part of that Alabama hype machine thing going on.

NFL teams have increasingly concluded in recent years that running backs aren’t worth high draft picks. But don’t tell that to Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa — at least not about his former Alabama teammate Najee Harris.

Tagovailoa singled out Harris as a player in this year’s draft who should make an immediate impact.

“He’s going to be a fun guy to watch this upcoming season,” Tagovailoa said on the Yahoo Sports podcast, via the New York Post. “Hopefully we’re on the same team.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/tua-tagovailoa-hopes-dolphins-draft-093856480.html

quick, somebody ask Najee who was better at handing off?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:24 am

And the Jets' DT Quinnen Williams was recently talking about how great Tua is and will be. Those Bama guys really stick together.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:38 am

All I know is that in 2019 even most Alabama fans didn't know who Mac Jones was, and now he's being talked about as a better NFL prospect than Tua! As Omar would say, that's...telling.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:46 am

DolFan 316 wrote:that's...telling.

exactly. that 'Bama fans are short-sighted, bandwagoners that get obsessed with whatever shiny object is in front of them at the moment (Greg McElroy & AJ McCarron). and yes, you can be that way when your team (illegally?) obtains and churns talent that is several levels above everybody else.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:57 am

There's a lot to like about Mac Jones, especially with intangibles. But my question is: how good of a passer is he? For most of the season, he just threw short passes that Smith, Waddle, Harris, etc. took and gained massive amounts of YAC. When Tua was there, he mostly threw deep and didn't have much of a running game, but Jones is the exact opposite from my perspective. Jones did look good at the Sr. Bowl, though.

My guess is that Jones will be a top 10 pick when all is said and done. He stands out in a weak QB class, due mostly to his leadership skills and intelligence. I'm not saying he is or will be great, but compared to guys like Wilson, Fields and Lance I think Jones looks a lot safer than any of those guys.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:52 am

Jones is nowhere near the prospect Tua was.

Wilson is a potentially great prospect IMO and the only one I would feel comfortable taking high outside of Lawrence. Jones' intangibles might make him a starter....or he could be a career backup when all is said and done.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:22 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:All I know is that in 2019 even most Alabama fans didn't know who Mac Jones was, and now he's being talked about as a better NFL prospect than Tua! As Omar would say, that's...telling.

I was about to ask, who the f*** is Mac Jones? Pre-draft talk is all such a load of bullshit.

"He may not look like much at 4'11" and with a 5.98 40 time, but WR Josh "Whitey" Stonehands has that intangible skill set and a high motor that may land him in a special spot somewhere in the NFL."

Uh huh, sure.

Smile

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:18 am

Josh "Whitey" Stonehands

Laughing Laughing Laughing

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:38 pm

JMP wrote:
Josh "Whitey" Stonehands

Laughing Laughing Laughing

The sad thing is Grier fell in love with him!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:25 am

wow, Jaylen Waddle too?

https://sports.yahoo.com/jaylen-waddle-prefers-mac-jones-162230040.html

this ones hard to deny. he was pretty clear and decisive on national TV.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:59 am

mercury22nathan wrote:wow, Jaylen Waddle too?

https://sports.yahoo.com/jaylen-waddle-prefers-mac-jones-162230040.html

this ones hard to deny.  he was pretty clear and decisive on national TV.

Tua is talking up Mac Jones too. This is the Alabama way - they are helping out their teammate. And it just might work...the Mac Jones hype-train is moving fast.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down