The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Penei Sewell or DeVonta Smith?

+5
mercury22nathan
DolFan 316
JEGnj
JMP
CarsonChris
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Penei Sewell or DeVonta Smith?  Empty Penei Sewell or DeVonta Smith?

Post by CarsonChris Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:39 am

Miami might have the choice of a once in a generation left tackle or a dynamic playmaker.

Smith has the explosive ability and couldn't be stopped in the college football world.

Penei Sewell is compared to legendary left tackle Munoz. He has the ability to dominate at the point of attack and blocks into the second level.

Both players have attributes we need. Sewell can lock down the left tackle spot for a decade. This would give Miami the ability to kick Jackson to RT and Hunt into RG. This move could make Miami's offensive line dominant in pass protection and run blocking giving Tua time to throw or create a more balanced attack that prevents teams from keying in on the Dolphins passing game.

Devonta Smith is a dynamic receiver that's shown ability inside and outside as a receiver in college. Alabama has had multiple first round receivers the past few years and this year was no different. This virtually guaranteed Smith single coverage as Alabama's offense had to many weapons to double cover any of the receivers. The NFL will use different looks and double coverage to stymie Smith. The question becomes will Smith have as much impact in the NFL as he did for Alabama. I hesitate drafting Alabama weapons for the simple reason Alabama is so dominant year after year because they have so much talent.

Will it be meat and potatoes or the sexy Ferrari with the pick this year?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Penei Sewell or DeVonta Smith?  Empty Re: Penei Sewell or DeVonta Smith?

Post by JMP Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:04 pm

I was initially on the Sewell bandwagon, but I'm off. After watching all the OL talent in the Senior Bowl this past week, I don't see any reason to draft a lineman at 3. I wouldn't necessarily complain about getting Sewell, but he is not at the top of my list. I'd rather draft interior linemen later - starting with Quinn Meinerz, who became my new favorite player after watching him in Senior Bowl practices and seeing several interviews.

Smith, on the other hand, is the do-everything playmaking receiver we need. He literally can't be covered, and you can't jam him at the line either. No-brainer...take Smith.

I'd love to take another receiver later: either Terrace Marshall in round 2, or one of these fast slot receivers later on. This draft isn't deep at boundary receiver, but there are tons of intriguing slot receivers available. In fact, this may be the deepest draft ever for slot receivers.

If you take Marshall, him and Parker start outside with Smith in the slot...and of course Smith would move all over the formation throughout the game. If you take a slot, then Smith and Parker start outside with the other rookie in the slot - and again, Smith moves everywhere.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:42 pm

I'm so stuck on this. I want to have a big solid OL and DL but we have had ZERO playmakers on offense in so long. I love NJ's Gesicki and the TE crew but the WR/RB are dreadful
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:20 pm

JMP wrote:I was initially on the Sewell bandwagon, but I'm off.  After watching all the OL talent in the Senior Bowl this past week, I don't see any reason to draft a lineman at 3.  I wouldn't necessarily complain about getting Sewell, but he is not at the top of my list.  I'd rather draft interior linemen later - starting with Quinn Meinerz, who became my new favorite player after watching him in Senior Bowl practices and seeing several interviews.

I was wondering if anyone else here noticed all the buzz about Meinerz! I was even going to ask Merc his thoughts.

Oh, and picking Smith is an absolute no-brainer. I would actually be pissed if they took Sewell now.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:08 am

CarsonChris wrote:Miami might have the choice of a once in a generation left tackle...

Penei Sewell is compared to legendary left tackle Munoz.

i think Sewell is good, but to compare him to Munoz and call him "once in a generation" is quite a stretch.  some evaluators don't even view him as the top OL-man in this draft.

i take Smith all day, every day.  in the event of a trade down to somewhere in the range of 8-11, then i consider Sewell, but moving down with Smith available at 3 would be a mistake.

Last edited by mercury22nathan on Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:11 am

DolFan 316 wrote:I was wondering if anyone else here noticed all the buzz about Meinerz! I was even going to ask Merc his thoughts.

i'll be honest, i know about as much about him as the rest of you all. Wisconsin-Whitewater doesn't get many - any - games televised in my area so i've only seen highlights and the Senior bowl stuff. But yes, there seems to be a lot to like there and warrants further investigation.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:33 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:I was wondering if anyone else here noticed all the buzz about Meinerz! I was even going to ask Merc his thoughts.

i'll be honest, i know about as much about him as the rest of you all.  Wisconsin-Whitewater doesn't get many - any - games televised in my area so i've only seen highlights and the Senior bowl stuff.  But yes, there seems to be a lot to like there and warrants further investigation.

Yeah, of course I had never heard his name till the Sr. Bowl. But watching him in practice, I don't think I saw him get beat once. He was dominating every defender he faced. And then hearing his interviews and seeing how he works out and prepares himself - this guy looks like the real deal. He mostly played guard in college, but the Phins' coaches had him working a lot at center. I'm all over him with our round 3 pick...doubt he goes higher than that, although he is generating a lot of buzz.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:38 am

Ali Marpet was in a very similar situation, coming out of Hobart, and was drafted near the end of the second (61st overall) so that's the absolute floor of where I expect Meinerz to go. The severe lack of D-linemen I keep hearing about might push him up even further to the mid-2nd.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:55 am

turns out that Meinerz hasn't played in over a year as Wisc-Whitewater cancelled this past season due to COVID. well, at least he's obviously kept his strength up in the meantime. he also broke his hand this past week and begged to play in the game...but ultimately was not allowed.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:11 am

here's a little cautionary tale about how teams overlooked a small (5'8", 185 lbs) WR in favor of some more prototypical-sized guys...

https://sports.yahoo.com/17-wide-receivers-picked-tyreek-002923879.html

granted his domestic violence arrest had an impact in his draft status, but we all know NFL teams are willing to turn a blind eye when its convenient. nonetheless, i'm going to go ahead and guess that most Phins fans would prefer Tyreek Hill on the roster now than the 12 total receptions 211 lb Leonte Carroo provided.

do not overlook DeVonta Smith.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:07 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:here's a little cautionary tale about how teams overlooked a small (5'8", 185 lbs) WR in favor of some more prototypical-sized guys...

https://sports.yahoo.com/17-wide-receivers-picked-tyreek-002923879.html

granted his domestic violence arrest had an impact in his draft status, but we all know NFL teams are willing to turn a blind eye when its convenient.  nonetheless, i'm going to go ahead and guess that most Phins fans would prefer Tyreek Hill on the roster now than the 12 total receptions 211 lb Leonte Carroo provided.

do not overlook DeVonta Smith.

Funny you should post that, Merc.

I was just about to post to say do not overlook a Tyreek Hill type player; not Smith, but Jalen Waddle.

I think the Phins could get Waddle at #18 too, but maybe not.

Before Waddle went down, he had more yards than Smith. Plus Waddle is an electric return man.

I think if the Phins stay at #3 they should take Smith, who compares more to Marvin Harrison I am thinking. But if they can get Waddle, more Tyreek Hill speedster type, I would not be too upset.

A trade down from #3 for more picks this year (or next) and they get Waddle and Harris? That's good stuff IMHO.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:45 pm

I love Waddle, but it does look like there are a bunch of slot receivers in this draft that are in a similar mold - guys like Amari Rodgers, D'Wayne Eskridge, Shi Smith, Demetric Felton, Chris Olave, Kadarius Toney, Tylan Wallace, etc. Now, I'm not saying these guys are as good as Waddle, and of course not all of them will make it, but the point is that this draft is loaded with small, fast, potentially electric slot receivers. So IMO Waddle doesn't need to be a priority.

BUT...

Yes, if we can't get Smith I'd absolutely be happy if Waddle ends up on the Phins. Cool

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:06 pm

There's four receivers I'd be very happy with: Smith, Chase, Waddle and Bateman.

Might even add Marshall as a fifth, though I see him being more of an option at #35 overall.

We get one of the first four, I'll be happy.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:18 pm

JMP wrote:I love Waddle, but it does look like there are a bunch of slot receivers in this draft that are in a similar mold - guys like Amari Rodgers, D'Wayne Eskridge, Shi Smith, Demetric Felton, Chris Olave, Kadarius Toney, Tylan Wallace, etc.  Now, I'm not saying these guys are as good as Waddle, and of course not all of them will make it, but the point is that this draft is loaded with small, fast, potentially electric slot receivers.  So IMO Waddle doesn't need to be a priority.  

BUT...

Yes, if we can't get Smith I'd absolutely be happy if Waddle ends up on the Phins.   Cool

How the hell did I forget Tutu Atwell...who may be more like Tyreek Hill than any of them!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:57 am

Yep, there are a bunch of WRs that will help the Phins, which I think means they will NOT go WR at #3.

It is all setting up for the Phins to grab Sewell at #3.

Unless they can trade down. The more of these goofy QB trades the less likely some team wants a QB enough to trade up to #3.

I really wish there was a killer edge rusher worth the #3 pick available.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:38 pm

finfanatic wrote:Yep, there are a bunch of WRs that will help the Phins, which I think means they will NOT go WR at #3.

It is all setting up for the Phins to grab Sewell at #3.

Unless they can trade down. The more of these goofy QB trades the less likely some team wants a QB enough to trade up to #3.

I really wish there was a killer edge rusher worth the #3 pick available.

I still think they go with Smith, simply because there is no one else like him in the draft, and he is as close to can't-miss as any player in this entire draft, regardless of position. If they can trade down and still get him, all the better.  I don't think they will use another first round pick on OL after using two last year.

I also think that the QB activity we're seeing so far is a strong indication that some team WILL trade up for a QB.  It is obvious that a bunch of teams are looking for new QBs, and there won't be enough veterans available.

Edge rusher looks thin this year.  I'd love it if Rousseau falls to 18, but that is unlikely.

Last edited by JMP on Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:07 pm

Yes, edge rusher looks thin, Rosseau and Paye appear to be the only first rounders.

I agree on the trade up for a QB from someone.  Detroit now has a lot of ammo and Carolina and possibly Philly might be looking to move up.  I would be OK with either Smith or Chase at 3, even better if we can trade down and get one in the 6-8 range.  I also wonder if Atlanta might be looking to move up and take a QB of the future with a new regime there (and the thought that another team could jump in front of them).  Maybe Cincy wants to move up for Sewell?  A lot of possibilities with # 3 in this draft.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:49 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Yes, edge rusher looks thin, Rosseau and Paye appear to be the only first rounders.

I agree on the trade up for a QB from someone.  Detroit now has a lot of ammo and Carolina and possibly Philly might be looking to move up.  I would be OK with either Smith or Chase at 3, even better if we can trade down and get one in the 6-8 range.  I also wonder if Atlanta might be looking to move up and take a QB of the future with a new regime there (and the thought that another team could jump in front of them).  Maybe Cincy wants to move up for Sewell?  A lot of possibilities with # 3 in this draft.

The 49ers, Broncos, Patriots, Bears and Colts could all be in play for a QB too. I definitely expect some movement.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:15 am

I don't know. It seems like Wentz is in play. And I keep hearing San Fran is talking about moving Jimmy G. Maybe back to the Pats?!?!?

What we have to hope is that the Jets Scrooge the pooch and take Sewell or trade with some team that desperately Loves them some Sewell and Sewell is OFF THE BOARD at #3.

Otherwise, I think it is going to be extremely hard to bypass Sewell for the Phins. Maybe the Bengals would be willing to move up to get a QB to protect Burrows blindside? A trade down but stay in the top 10 picks and the Phins would be safe in getting a WR IMO.

If this Super Bowl showed anything, it showed that even a top-flight QB behind a shoddy O-line versus a Good Defense is not enough
to get the job done.

We have to go thru free agency of course, but right now, I'd say Sewell is the odds on favorite for the Phins to pick if they stay at #3.

Sad

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:53 am

If this Super Bowl showed anything, it showed that even a top-flight QB behind a shoddy O-line versus a Good Defense is not enough
to get the job done.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

While the o-line looked somewhat improved last season, one thing you have to keep in sight: We still weren't good on the offensive line. In fact, many sites/rankings have us still in the bottom third of the league. That's just not good enough.

Now, we have a bunch of young guys and started several rookies last season. Do I expect us to improve? Yes, I think so. In fact, it looks like Deiter may still be a salvageable piece as he showed up in the opportunity given to him.

However, if you want to take another step forward - solve the offensive line issues once and for all. Take either Sewell or Slater, and get your playmakers later in the first round plus look for them in the 2nd and 3rd.

Several of our linemen have position flexibility. Adding a solid piece at tackle will upgrade us across the board as we work to get the best five on the field.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:17 am

I agree, white, that the OL still needs work. But does it need another first rounder? I would argue that it doesn't. We can improve the line through free agency or, preferably, later in the draft. I am also much more concerned with the interior OL than I am the tackles. I think we need a Center (depending on Karras) and a Guard. I'm totally fine with Jackson and Hunt manning the tackles.

Again, I won't complain if Sewell is the pick at 3 because he is a good player - but it's definitely not what I would do. Slater to me is a Guard or Center. I'd consider him at 18 if he was there, but I'd rather draft interior linemen in rounds 2-4.

I am starting to be convinced that we'll be able to trade down from 3 and still land Smith, and that would be my preference. With all the QB-hungry teams, a trade down is very likely IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:28 am

I am starting to be convinced that we'll be able to trade down from 3 and still land Smith, and that would be my preference. With all the QB-hungry teams, a trade down is very likely IMO.

Totally agree and this would be an excellent situation for us.

In fact, yesterday the scouts on Twitter are saying Zach Wilson is QB1 on some boards based on his ceiling. Not just one team either.

In any case, the better these QBs grade out the better chance that #3 pick becomes a hot commodity!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:25 pm

I was looking at potential pre draft grades based on 100 points. JaMar Chase grades at 93. Penei Sewell grades at 93. Devonta Smith grades at 90. The knock on Smith continues to be size. JaMar Chase grades higher based on size. Comparable to Fitzgerald. The comparison of Devonta Smith and Tyreek Hill is legitimate. It will be interesting.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:34 am

CarsonChris wrote:The knock on Smith continues to be size. JaMar Chase grades higher based on size.

that is exactly correct. but i think there really needs to be more than just size involved in the discussion.

Ohio State simply couldn’t cover him [Smith]. They doubled him, they tried to jam him, they rolled safeties over the top and he was by far the best player. He has some Marvin Harrison in him in terms of you know what’s coming and you can’t stop it because he’s such a great route runner.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article248867679.html

There are a few teams that really jam off the wide receiver. If you want to get a wide receiver by the line of scrimmage, you can by formations. I’m not concerned with that as far as DeVonta is concerned.

He’s just a very skilled route runner. He came from a very pro type of system that coach Sark [new Texas coach Steve Sarkisian] was running at Alabama. [The offense] looks a lot like what Kansas City does. He excelled at all of them, whether it was inside or outside, short routes, intermediate routes, contented catch situations.

Smith has an explosive athletic ability that Miami lacks - and that Chase may lack.

Chase is going to have to land with a QB that throws a lot of faith throws. Even when he’s not clearly winning, throw it anyway and let him sort it out. He’s not always going to win cleanly, but he’s physical and high percentage with winning at the catch point on all levels.

Beating athletic cornerbacks will always be a challenge for him, but he’s so much of a bully in route stems and at the catch point that it doesn’t really matter. Alabama, Florida, and Miss. St. attempted to get physical with him with lots of surprise jump jams, but he’s so strong that he was able to shake them off.

Chase is an extremely talented, sure-handed, physical receiver, but he struggles to gain separation...something which the current Dolphins crop of WRs have problems with. Chase is a better version of DeVante Parker - a luxury i'm not sure the Phins can afford. Miami needs guys who are quick twitch, athletic WRs to add to what they already have. Yes, Chase can make the tough, contested catches, but is he has trouble gaining separation against Miss St and Florida, what's he going to do against pro CBs (more contested fade patterns in the corner of the endzone).

and there are also questions about Chase's desire and commitment. everybody assumes he sat out this past year due to COVID, but it was more because an agent convinced him that it was a better business decision...

Sources told CBS Sports on Aug. 30 that Chase's decision was not specifically related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Rather, it is believed agents may have simply convinced Chase to leave before his third collegiate season. NFL rules state a player cannot be drafted until three years after his high school graduation.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/lsu-star-jamarr-chase-the-nations-top-wr-opts-out-of-season-and-declares-for-2021-nfl-draft/

there may be nothing there, but it needs to be vetted.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:46 am

I officially agree with everything Merc said. That is all Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next