The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins sign veteran DT John Jenkins

+2
white1
JMP
6 posters

Go down

Phins sign veteran DT John Jenkins Empty Phins sign veteran DT John Jenkins

Post by JMP Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:44 pm

You may remember him on the Phins in 2019. A MASSIVE run stuffer to clog up the middle. I thought he played really well for us. Glad to have him back.

Looks like the Phins have made run-stopping a priority on defense this offseason.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins sign veteran DT John Jenkins Empty Re: Phins sign veteran DT John Jenkins

Post by white1 Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:02 pm

Yes another good depth signing and short-term deal. We are going to have a ton of flexibility in 2022 offseason.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:09 pm

Does this mean they are not going to draft a DT late? No Jonathan Marshall, Tadarrell Slayton, Lorenzo Neal, Ta'Quan Graham or Mustafa Johnson?

How disappointing!

Phins sign veteran DT John Jenkins 1f61c
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:14 pm

finfanatic wrote:Does this mean they are not going to draft a DT late?   No Jonathan Marshall, Tadarrell Slayton, Lorenzo Neal, Ta'Quan Graham or Mustafa Johnson?

How disappointing!

Phins sign veteran DT John Jenkins 1f61c

LOL

I don't think signing Jenkins will impact the draft at all. But, it does allow the Phins to be flexible...they don't have to draft a DT due to the FA signings they made - but none of those signings will prevent them from drafting a DT if the opportunity arises.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:15 pm

Priority has to be OLB, Edge rusher and S. To me the first 2 are interchangeable. I hoping Boyer gets more toys.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:49 pm

Umix10 wrote:Priority has to be OLB, Edge rusher and S. To me the first 2 are interchangeable.  I hoping Boyer gets more toys.

I'd be surprised if the Phins draft a safety before day 3. The position seems to be in good shape with Rowe, McCain and Jones. Flores loves DBs, but it just doesn't seem like a huge need right now IMO.

As much as we all think OLB/edge rusher is a big need, I'm not sure the Dolphins agree. We currently have a lot of players that fit the bill, and even though none of them are stars I think the Phins rely more on scheme than star-power. I do think OLB/edge will be addressed - I'm just not sure it is a priority.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:03 am

Personally, I'd like to see a 3-4 LB that can pass rush but has a more rounded skillset. This defense to me looks like they don't care who gets to the QB, as long as someone does, and they'll rush several different people in different positions to achieve it.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:20 am

Degarmo wrote:Personally, I'd like to see a 3-4 LB that can pass rush but has a more rounded skillset.  This defense to me looks like they don't care who gets to the QB, as long as someone does, and they'll rush several different people in different positions to achieve it.

They still need *somebody* else though. And they have more than enough picks (right now at least) to address it in the draft. They may not *have* to address it at 18, but they do at some point. Injuries are a thing, and so is defensive front seven rotation.

My hope is that Grier doesn't reach for an edge rusher at 18 who turns out to be a bust while passing up on an interior O-lineman who gets snatched up before the next pick. I just can't shake the feeling that Flores will force this like he forced the Iggy pick last year.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:26 am

The Iggy pick wasn't forced, though. He was the best cover corner in the draft and the Phins took him at #30 overall. Perfect scheme fit.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:29 am

Degarmo wrote:Personally, I'd like to see a 3-4 LB that can pass rush but has a more rounded skillset.  This defense to me looks like they don't care who gets to the QB, as long as someone does, and they'll rush several different people in different positions to achieve it.  

Yep, I think you nailed it. They will add an edge rusher for sure - but I bet they will look at someone that can play the run as well getting to the QB. Basham seems to make the most sense the more I look at him, but again I just don't see him as a value at #18. Unfortunately, he may not make it out of round one given the lack of talent in this class.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:48 pm

JMP wrote:

Yep, I think you nailed it.  They will add an edge rusher for sure - but I bet they will look at someone that can play the run as well getting to the QB.  Basham seems to make the most sense the more I look at him, but again I just don't see him as a value at #18.  Unfortunately, he may not make it out of round one given the lack of talent in this class.

I think they can still pick up a real quality player in Round 2, but we'll see, obviously Smile

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:19 pm

I am thinking they go O-line with one of the EDIT - FIRST ROUND picks, but I cannot help feeling disgusted if they do.

They need IMPACT and while I understand build the lines first, getting Tucker @18 and some n
lesser RB later is in no way the same as getting Harris @ 18 and getting Cleveland from GA say or Banks, etc... late.

Tucker is the far better Guard, but I think Harris is going to be a RB to build around.

Go for Impact. Not blue-collar.  

I suspect the Phins go for the blue-collar player that they think solidifies a position the most.

SIGH
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:09 pm

finfanatic wrote:I am thinking they go O-line with one of the EDIT - FIRST ROUND picks, but I cannot help feeling disgusted if they do.

They need IMPACT and while I understand build the lines first, getting Tucker @18 and some n
lesser RB later is in no way the same as getting Harris @ 18 and getting Cleveland from GA say or Banks, etc... late.

Tucker is the far better Guard, but I think Harris is going to be a RB to build around.

Go for Impact. Not blue-collar.  

I suspect the Phins go for the blue-collar player that they think solidifies a position the most.

SIGH

I feel like that was the plan last year - fix the trenches and get the big uglies on board. Mission accomplished. This year, I think they go for playmakers. I fully expect the top two picks to be offensive playmakers. But, we'll see....

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down