The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins sign veteran DB Jason McCourty

+3
mercury22nathan
CarsonChris
JMP
7 posters

Go down

Phins sign veteran DB Jason McCourty Empty Phins sign veteran DB Jason McCourty

Post by JMP Thu May 06, 2021 8:15 pm

Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo
The #Dolphins are signing veteran CB Jason McCourty, source says. The 12-year veteran heads for a reunion with Brian Flores.

Solid signing. Never a bad thing to add veteran leadership to the team. McCourty can play every secondary position and he'll be a great mentor for Iggy and Holland. IMO he'll have a bit of an uphill battle to make the team, but if nothing else he will help the younger guys in camp.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins sign veteran DB Jason McCourty Empty Re: Phins sign veteran DB Jason McCourty

Post by CarsonChris Thu May 06, 2021 11:53 pm

If we didn't have 25 receivers on the roster we could sign a few veterans for depth.

CarsonChris

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Phins sign veteran DB Jason McCourty Empty Re: Phins sign veteran DB Jason McCourty

Post by mercury22nathan Fri May 07, 2021 9:18 am

i gotta be honest - this signing puzzles me...and makes me nervous. he's clearly not starting material at this point in his career (started 11 of 16 last year in NE), at least i hope that's not the plan. then what's the point? if he's coming to Miami just to compete for a roster spot, then what is wrong with the younger guys on the roster that Miami needs to sign a 33 year old to a one year deal? if he's coming to backup the outside, then there is definitely a problem with wasting a 1st last year on Iggy. is he a safety? if he's coming to be the slot guy, then i guess the Coleman signing wasn't all its cracked up to be - never mind that Miami just cut a very good (overpaid) slot guy in McCain. and speaking of which, how much is Miami paying McCourty? it better be a lot, lot less than the deal Miami just terminated in McCain - otherwise, what's the point? so, if he's seen as a starter, there's problem with the guys already on the roster. but if he's a backup, is he gonna play ST at this stage in his career? if not, again, what's the point?

so here's the part that makes me nervous. Miami seems to make these kind of pointless moves and then the other shoe drops and makes me say, "Oh, that's why they did that." i hope this isn't one of those situations. i hope there is no "other shoe." [INSERT hypothetical rumor about X Howard about to get traded.]

i don't know, guys usually don't just join a former coach just to be a non-special teams backup or to just compete for a chance at a spot at this stage in their careers. if that's all he is, then there are lot of other much younger, much cheaper guys that i am sure Miami could've brought in.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 07, 2021 9:23 am

mercury22nathan wrote:i gotta be honest - this signing puzzles me...and makes me nervous.  he's clearly not starting material at this point in his career (started 11 of 16 last year in NE), at least i hope that's not the plan.  then what's the point?  if he's coming to Miami just to compete for a roster spot, then what is wrong with the younger guys on the roster that Miami needs to sign a 33 year old to a one year deal?  if he's coming to backup the outside, then there is definitely a problem with wasting a 1st last year on Iggy.  is he a safety?  if he's coming to be the slot guy, then i guess the Coleman signing wasn't all its cracked up to be - never mind that Miami just cut a very good (overpaid) slot guy in McCain.  and speaking of which, how much is Miami paying McCourty?  it better be a lot, lot less than the deal Miami just terminated in McCain - otherwise, what's the point?  so, if he's seen as a starter, there's problem with the guys already on the roster.  but if he's a backup, is he gonna play ST at this stage in his career?  if not, again, what's the point?

so here's the part that makes me nervous.  Miami seems to make these kind of pointless moves and then the other shoe drops and makes me say, "Oh, that's why they did that."  i hope this isn't one of those situations.  i hope there is no "other shoe."  [INSERT hypothetical rumor about X Howard about to get traded.]

i don't know, guys usually don't just join a former coach just to be a non-special teams backup or to just compete for a chance at a spot at this stage in their careers.  if that's all he is, then there are lot of other much younger, much cheaper guys that i am sure Miami could've brought in.

I think it's just veteran depth. You can never have enough DBs, especially in this system, so we added a guy that knows what Flores/Boyer want and has over a decade of NFL experience. Like I said, I'm not sure he even makes the team - but we have a few young guys on the back-end (Jones, Iggy, Holland) so I think its a good thing to add an experienced guy both to mentor them and fill in as needed. This defense is extremely young...nothing wrong with bringing in an old timer IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri May 07, 2021 10:46 am

I get what you’re saying, but there is a limited number of roster spots. Last year Miami went into game days most often with all 10 of their DBs on the active roster (there were a few games they only activated 9 DBs due to managing injuries). Usually, they had 5 CBs and 5 Ss, with 5 of the DBs playing primarily ST. Howard, Jones, Iggy and Coleman at CB and Rowe, Holland and Jones at S are most assuredly on the roster. If McCourty was brought in to supplant one of those guys, there is a problem with someone (I suspect its Coleman as I could see McCourty playing the slot). If he’s not supplanting one of those guys, that leaves McCourty competing for the final 3 roster spots – and all three of those spots are committed special teams guys. Again, I doubt Miami is bringing in a 33 year old veteran to be a bottom of the roster special teamer. And I doubt McCourty at this stage in his career would come here to be training camp fodder. I’m certain there are other teams which would offer him far more potential to see the field. If he’s not a significant ST contributor (which I doubt he is at this point), then there is no point unless he knows he has a legitimate chance to contribute to the defense on game days. Is Miami good enough to waste DB space on a guy who isn’t starting or playing ST just to have a veteran taking up a spot on the bench?

Here's what I think is happening… Miami signed Coleman to compete (not guaranteed) at the slot. The idea was they would hopefully find a young CB in the draft to compete with him. But the draft unfolded such that Holland as a safety was a more valuable pick. That pick then made McCain (whose salary Miami wanted to bring down) redundant. McCain was asked (maybe) to take a pay cut and compete with Coleman at the slot to make way for Holland/Jones. McCain said no. Miami cuts McCain leaving an open space for the veteran McCourty to have the upper leg in the slot competition. Otherwise, why wait until now – after the draft – to make the move to release McCain and sign McCourty? And why make the two moves on the same day?

And notice I didn’t even mention Needham or Perry as I believe both Coleman and now McCourty are seen as slot upgrades.

I’m not saying it’s a terrible move, I am just saying this move had to be made with a purpose beyond just bringing in a 33 year old veteran to be a rah-rah guy for the younger players in training camp and then just go away (cause if Miami is gonna do that, then maybe they should bring Frank Gore back to mentor the RBs). And I just don’t see him just taking up space unless he’s gonna play on defense.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 07, 2021 11:21 am

I just think McCourty is solid veteran depth. He'll definitely play on defense.

Best case, he actually wins a starting job somewhere...but I don't see that happening. I just see him as more of a part-time depth player that lines up when and where he's needed. I think he competes for a job - no guarantees. If he's better than Coleman, Needham ad/or Perry...great! If not, we wish him good luck and send him on his way.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 07, 2021 2:55 pm

Someone on Finheaven posted an article about McCourty from June 2020 that I think explains the Phins signing him:

https://www.concordmonitor.com/Jason-McCourty-having-fun-as-a-teaching-veteran-34567639

As McCourty heads into his 12th year — his third with the Patriots — the role he plays off the field is almost as important as the one he plays on it. With over a decade of NFL experience, the defensive back finds himself becoming the player he looked to be in his first few years in the league.

“For me, being able to play for multiple organizations, coaches — there’s tidbits that you can take from everywhere, and those guys know that’s one thing with me,” McCourty said. “Whatever the question or anything that I have to share, I’m going to do so, so I love that aspect.”

In putting together their roster, the Patriots have balanced these vets with plenty of young talent. Jonathan Jones and J.C. Jackson have played a combined six seasons and have turned into players the team trusts. Joejuan Williams didn’t see much time on the field as a rookie, but that had more to do with the depth on the roster.

Add in second-round draft pick Kyle Dugger and you’ve got a good young nucleus of players that could take over when the big four end their careers.

Jason McCourty doesn’t mind helping to prepare them. He was in their shoes once and when he needed advice — on or off the field — he got it.

“It’s just part of the game. When I first came into the league, I was in Tennessee and I had guys like Cortland Finnegan, Chris Hope, Michael Griffin — a ton of guys that were willing to pour into me and help me figure out how to be a pro, whether it was the defense, whether it was life off the field,” McCourty said. “So, for me, getting a chance to be around J.C. — J. Jones is a young vet himself — but Joejuan (Williams), all of those guys, being able to help them, whether it’s questions about finance, questions about agents or any of those different things, to be able to be just a sounding board. And then when we’re out there competing, there’s little things that experience teaches you.”

McCourty enjoys his young teammates. He calls Jackson “gerbil” and gives him a hard time, like he would any player who was playing Pop Warner when McCourty started. He spoke highly of Williams and said he was willing to learn, listen and put in the work. It was a theme with the young DBs on the Patriots roster last season, even the ones who didn’t see time on Sundays.

“Whether it’s Joejuan, whether it was D’Angelo (Ross) before he got here, Malik (Gant), all of those young guys came in and they were willing to listen to the older guys, listen to the coaches and really do everything that was asked of them on a daily basis,” McCourty said, “to make sure they were making the necessary movements forward to get better as a football player.”

McCourty won’t stop trying to make himself better either.

Bill Belichick and the Patriots are known for wanting their players to be versatile. Versatility helps when there are injuries, but it also helps with understanding your own defense.

“When we’re going over installs and doing things, I try to challenge myself,” McCourty said. “All right, can I learn the entire defense? Can I understand what the nose technique is or what the defensive tackle is doing in this blitz and why he’s doing it and understand the call that (defensive captain Dont’a) Hightower may make when he sees this or that?

“I think when you’re able to do that, it makes — whether you’re playing corner, safety, nickel, all of those positions — it makes it relatively easy because you understand in what ways the offense is trying to attack you and you understand from a defensive perspective what are you giving up and the things that you have to defend against.”

That understanding didn’t come right away. It was a learning process and remains as such for McCourty. But he’s having fun with it, just like he is helping younger players become better pros.

Having fun and playing football aren’t something McCourty is taking for granted.

“It’s such a privilege to be able to play in this league that I’m just trying to take advantage of each day I have the opportunity to go out there and compete,” he said.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri May 07, 2021 3:35 pm

You just never know what the plan is until it takes shape on the field.

Some of these guys may not even be here for the 1st game.

I do think that if Miami does not get some decent contributions from Iggy this season the BUST appellation is really going to pick up steam.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 07, 2021 4:05 pm

finfanatic wrote:You just never know what the plan is until it takes shape on the field.

Some of these guys may not even be here for the 1st game.

I do think that if Miami does not get some decent contributions from Iggy this season the BUST appellation is really going to pick up steam.

Yep, a lot can and will happen between now and September, for sure!

As far as Iggy, it seems like many people have already decided he's a bust, so unless he's an All Pro in 2021 I don't think it will change opinions. Personally, I think he's got a great future - the only question is how much playing time he'll actually get to see behind Jones and X this season. I did see videos of him working out this offseason, and he's certainly putting the effort in - always a good sign.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Sun May 09, 2021 3:39 pm

Wish we had him and his brother 10 years ago
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sun May 09, 2021 5:05 pm

I dont like the signing! If you are trying to bring in a veteran presence, I agree! But, couldn't that be said for the running back room? We have 5 guys in the that room with less than 3 years of experience in the NFL. Defense is this teams strongest unit. With Tua entering his second year, based on the premise, signing a vet RB like Bell or someone still out there makes more sense in improving the overall roster.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 10, 2021 9:25 am

Umix10 wrote:I dont like the signing! If you are trying to bring in a veteran presence, I agree! But, couldn't that be said for the running back room?  We have 5 guys in the that room with less than 3 years of experience in the NFL.  Defense is this teams strongest unit.  With Tua entering his second year, based on the premise, signing a vet RB like Bell or someone still out there makes more sense in improving the overall roster.

We signed Malcolm Brown to the RB group, a 7-year veteran. He'll provide the leadership for that group.

Bells is a cancer that is only interested in collecting a check - no thanks.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon May 10, 2021 10:04 pm

I feel like all they really care about for the RB position this year is journeyman performance on running downs.  I think the bulk of our actual running attack is going to be from the WR position.

EDIT: I like to stay topical since this is about McCourty.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue May 11, 2021 11:46 am

Remember Flores is a Defensive minded HC... They will ALWAYS be biased towards defense (Just remember some of the stupid draft moves Wannstedt made, the stupidest being Fletcher and that 5th round LB he drafted in the 2nd round!!!).... and a DC who uses DBs like Flores does will always be biased towards DBs IMHO.

The fact that this DB already KNOWS the scheme just adds to the bias.

I have no problem with this sort of addition. There is still a long time until the season starts and who knows...Maybe Iggy emerges and shows enough for the Phins to jettison the old guy. I would say the chances are slim and none, and slim is fading fast, but the chance is still there.

As far as RB - I seem to recall everyone and his brother saying signing Howard last year was a great move? He stunk and while it made the Phans feel better, along with getting Breida, they just never were a fit for the Offense. I would not touch Bell with a ten foot pole! If Gore is still available, I would rather the Phins sign him. But I think the Grier/Flores combo think they are set at RB. If somebody gets cut or is offered for trade at reasonable price... they may jump, but I think the Phins feel they are set at RB.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down