The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins sign two veteran Centers

+3
mercury22nathan
Umix10
JMP
7 posters

Go down

Phins sign two veteran Centers Empty Phins sign two veteran Centers

Post by JMP Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:28 pm

Jonotthan Harrison was signed to the active roster, and Matt Skura (former Dolphin training camper) signed to practice squad.

Harrison was a center for the Colts and Jets and has 43 career starts.  He hasn't appeared in a game since 2019 and has bounced around practice squads since then.  He did have an Achilles injury a couple of years ago.  6'4", 300 pounds.

Skura is 6'3", 305 and has played mostly center (and some guard) for the Ravens, Giants and Rams.  I think he was injured with the Rams and missed half of 2022.  He has 73 career starts.

Considering what's out there, I think adding two experienced veteran centers is a great move by Grier.

Last edited by JMP on Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

finfanatic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Phins sign two veteran Centers Empty Re: Phins sign two veteran Centers

Post by Umix10 Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:57 pm

JMP wrote:Jonotthan Harrison was signed to the active roster, and Matt Skura (former Dolphin training camper) signed to practice squad.

Harrison was a center for the Colts and Jets and has 43 career starts.  He hasn't appeared in a game and has bounced around practice squads since then.  He did have an Achilles injury a couple of years ago.  6'4", 300 pounds.

Skura is 6'3", 305 and has played mostly center (and some guard) for the Ravens, Giants and Rams.  I think he was injured with the Rams and missed half of 2022.  He has 73 career starts.

Considering what's out there, I think adding two experienced veteran centers is a great move by Grier.

I agree to disagree. I think that these two will not have jobs at the end of the season. I would give Uluave a decent amount of snaps behind Eich and see what he's got in the end, Uluave has a way better chance of sticking then they do.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:29 pm

Umix10 wrote:
JMP wrote:Jonotthan Harrison was signed to the active roster, and Matt Skura (former Dolphin training camper) signed to practice squad.

Harrison was a center for the Colts and Jets and has 43 career starts.  He hasn't appeared in a game and has bounced around practice squads since then.  He did have an Achilles injury a couple of years ago.  6'4", 300 pounds.

I agree to disagree.  I think that these two will not have jobs at the end of the season.  I would give Uluave a decent amount of snaps behind Eich and see what he's got in the end, Uluave has a way better chance of sticking then they do.

What happens with these guys after the season doesn't matter. They're only hear to help get us through this season. Neither guy is great by any stretch, but both have tons of NFL experience. The fact is, there are no All Pro centers sitting by the phone waiting for a call. Players like Harrison and Skura are the best we could hope for this late in the season.

The coaches see Uluave every day, and they have determined that he's not ready to play. As much as I'd love to see him get snaps and reveal himself to be the center of the future, I'm not willing to sacrifice games on it. The last thing we need right now is to field a young player that isn't ready. We're in a playoff race, and it's not the time for player development. It's all about putting the best players on the field to WIN. Adding players that have started many, many games at the NFL level is a great thing - even if they aren't top players, they have been there, done that and know what to expect. Especially Skura, who was a multi-year starter on some damn good Ravens teams.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:36 am

unfortunately, we may end up seeing one of the news guys before too long...

Liam Eichenberg is the likely starting center after filling in for Williams during Monday night’s home loss to the Tennesse Titans and earlier in the season. But Eichenberg is dealing with a calf injury and Miami didn’t have any other experienced options. Lester Cotton has never played center in a regular season game but has taken snaps in practice. Alama Uluave is an undrafted rookie on the practice squad who has yet to make his NFL debut.

On a short week after “Monday Night Football,” the Dolphins did not practice Wednesday but released an estimated injury report.

Eight players would not have practiced: Eichenberg (calf)...

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article283024643.html

Miami is quickly running out of options.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:44 am

It sounds like Cotton will start at center against the Jets if Eich can't go. So who are our guards? Jones and...???? Maybe Chasen Hines, off the practice squad?

So we're going against one of the best defenses in the NFL with a center that's never played center, a backup guard that played like absolute crap last week, and, possibly, a guard that's never taken an NFL snap??? If McD can fight his way to victory with this line, he deserves to win Coach of the Year on the spot! Shocked Ugly, ugly, ugly.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:29 am

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:31 am

Curious to me as to why they'd put Harrison on the active roster over Skura, seems like Skura is the better player and he's also started more recently (last year, in fact).  Conditioning issue with Skura?

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:15 am

HalCHorn wrote:Curious to me as to why they'd put Harrison on the active roster over Skura, seems like Skura is the better player and he's also started more recently (last year, in fact).  Conditioning issue with Skura?  

I was wondering the same thing. I think Harrison was on the Falcons' PS, which means that he had to be signed to the active roster in order to add him, and also means that he has at least been practicing - as opposed to Skura, who wasn't with a team.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:07 pm

Hunt needs to Man up and start Playing, Kuch would be rolling over in his grave seeing Shit like this after All he played Thru, Hamstring Pull for a Guard shouldn't take this Long to recover.

finskev

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:11 pm

Looks like they have cut Alama Uluave, so there ends the developmental OC!

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:12 pm

Uluave was just cut from the practice squad, so I guess any slim hope of him being the center of the future is gone.  Taking a center in the second round is now very much on the table.

Last edited by JMP on Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:14 pm

I'd definitely move O-line to the top of the need list. Fortunately it's a good year to find OT and C in the draft.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:04 pm

So I was wrong...Harrison actually wasn't on a practice squad this season - but he still might start on Sunday!

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/miami-dolphins-might-be-forced-to-start-jonotthan-harrison

If Eichenberg can't play, the Dolphins might be forced to start one of the two newly signed centers.

Harrison, who last played in an NFL game in 2019, was preparing for his post-football life training offensive and defensive linemen when he got a call from the Dolphins. He's a sculpted athlete, carrying a fit 6-foot-4, 308 pound frame.

"I enjoy training and staying in shape. So I've been doing that, regardless," Harrison said. " It's kind of ingrained in me. Always be ready."

Well, I like the attitude...but can he play??? I guess we might find out soon! Shocked

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:39 pm

We have a better chance with a college center on Christmas break then CGs washed up out of the NFL trash.
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down