The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins sign veteran OL DJ Fluker

5 posters

Go down

Phins sign veteran OL DJ Fluker Empty Phins sign veteran OL DJ Fluker

Post by JMP Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:47 pm

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/19/dolphins-are-signing-d-j-fluker/

The Dolphins are signing offensive lineman D.J. Fluker, Alex Marvez of SiriusXM NFL Radio reports.

Fluker, 30, started eight games for the Ravens last season and played all 16 games. He saw action on 531 offensive snaps and 79 on special teams.

Fluker has extensive starting experience at right tackle and right guard.

Love it! I had a feeling they would look at him, but I thought it would be post-draft. Absolutely HUGE mauler at 6'5", 345 - exactly the type of behemoth this staff loves.

I think he'll be a valuable depth player for both G and T, and could end up starting. I also think they'll use him as an extra lineman in the "big" packages they run in short yardage situations - a role I thought Isaiah Wilson would play.

Anyway, a solid veteran signing . Hopefully he pans out.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins sign veteran OL DJ Fluker Empty Re: Phins sign veteran OL DJ Fluker

Post by JMP Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:08 pm

Maybe competition or an outright replacement for Jesse Davis? scratch

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:36 am

JMP wrote:a role I thought Isaiah Wilson would play.

that's exactly what i thought. this signing was made for the same reason they took a shot at Wilson. so i'll just reference my comments about that signing...

mercury22nathan wrote:considering they gave up a mere pittance to take a chance on a guy with 1st round talent, i perfectly fine with the move.

i had (have) concerns with his mobility (especially ability to effectively kick slide) on the edge against NFL rushers. i think he is an excellent candidate to move inside to OG in a power man running scheme. i'm thinking he can compete to push (and perhaps eventually replace) Flowers.

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com/t2211-phins-trade-for-young-titans-rt-isaiah-wilson

this is exactly the same thing. he's a former first rounder that we didn't have to give up anything to get. i think his days on the edge are behind him (considering he started 8 games and was flagged 9 times last year), but there is still some value inside as a OG in a power based scheme. he also played with the Phins new C Skura last year. good value signing.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:32 pm

So does this mean they'll only be drafting three O-linemen now instead of four? Razz

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:21 pm

Fluker is actually a cautionary tale for the "draft O-linemen high because need!" crowd. He was a product of the (in)famous 2013 draft that saw a whopping SIX O-linemen, including two guards Shocked taken with the first 11 picks (talk about a crazy draft).

Of those players Luke Joeckel (2nd overall) was a colossal bust who only lasted five years because he was the #2 pick overall. Jonathan Cooper (#7 overall) also only lasted five seasons (his rookie year was lost to injury) and was arguably worse than Joeckel. Chance Warmack (#10 overall) hasn't played a down in three years but is apparently still around and was just brought in for a workout by the Seahawks. Fluker (#11 overall) managed to at least last out his rookie deal with the Chargers but the Fins are now his 4th team in the last 5 years.

Eric Fisher (#1 overall) and Lane Johnson (#4 overall) are the only two O-linemen drafted in the top 11 who played with their original teams through last season and the only ones of the six to make the Pro Bowl. But even then Johnson has been suspended twice for PEDs and it took Fisher six years to make his first Pro Bowl. By comparison Kyle Long and Larry Warford (#20 and 65 overall) have made three Pro Bowls each while Travis Frederick (#31 overall) has five. And David Bakhtiari (#109 overall, three Pro Bowls) currently is the best player of that entire draft according to AV.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2013/draft.htm

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:35 pm

This definitely means Grier is going to trade up and draft Sewell IMHO!!!

Phins sign veteran OL DJ Fluker 1f62c

Yeah, it is amazing how many big O-lineman you think are can't miss prospects turn out to not be worth a toot in the NFL.

I heard somebody talking about the 2013 draft as being a terrible draft the other day. That was the infamous Dion Jordan draft for the Phins.

Excuse me while I blow chunks!  
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:36 pm

DolFan 316 spitting iron clad facts right here!!

mercury22nathan

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:16 pm

I think part of the problem is that teams draft these gigantic linemen and then ask them to take on a finesse role, with lots of pulls and traps and movement. Some of the big dudes are athletic enough to do it, but for the most part these behemoths can't do that type of stuff. A guy like Fluker, you plug him into a zone system and ask him to punish the guy in front of him and he'll do just fine. Anything more than that, and he'll struggle.

I think that's what we're seeing this Miami OL evolve into - a zone scheme where the big uglies kick ass and clear the way for the backs. Power run game - but with a big RPO element to keep defenses honest.

I'm telling you: if Fluker makes this team, get ready to see him in 6-OL sets as the wide-right tackle in short-yardage situations...and watch our RB pound the rock behind a right side consisting of Kindley, Hunt and Fluker! That's a damn brick shithouse coming down on some poor LBs and DBs! Love it!!!! Twisted Evil

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:56 pm

But JMP... Where is Sewell gonna line up?

Shocked

Twisted Evil

Sorry, couldn't resist.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:48 pm

I’d put Sewell at LG and cut Flowers. He’s also backup LT behind Jackson and prob gets his job for his second contract. Unless Jackson progresses beyond anyone’s most optimistic projections.

I’m not crazy about Sewell as the six pick but I would understand the thinking
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:19 am

finfanatic wrote:But JMP... Where is Sewell gonna line up?

Shocked

Twisted Evil

Sorry, couldn't resist.

LOL Love it! Laughing Laughing

I like white's idea of Left Guard for Sewell - that would give us a SICK OL!!!

But I don't think Flowers can be cut yet...too much dead money. He's also the captain of the OL, for now. In this scenario he'd be an expensive backup and would be cut after this season - when the cap hit is small.

But yeah...the Phins aren't drafting Sewell anyway. Razz

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:28 am

Grier's philosophy is plain to see, he definitely wants to build the trenches. I can't remember an offensive line in recent history where we had veteran 1st round picks in depth positions, vs counting on them to start.

Given Dieter performance in his spot-start last season, I believe he's another quality depth player.

The defensive front is rounding into similar form with Wilkins and Davis as high draft picks, and Ogbah the veteran.

Trench play. This is encouraging.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down