The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Am I right? No LBs or WRs drafted this year?

+6
mercury22nathan
Umix10
white1
JEGnj
JMP
finfanatic
10 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Am I right? No LBs or WRs drafted this year? - Page 2 Empty Re: Am I right? No LBs or WRs drafted this year?

Post by finfanatic Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:05 pm

DF316 - According to what I am seeing, the Phins have picks 102, 125, 224, and 247. I do like DeAngelo Malone though. He had 9 sacks this past year and had 11.5 in 2019. And I would be shocked, shocked I say, if Grier uses a pick on a RB. Unless Spiller or someone drops down to #102, I think the Phins are set at RB. They MIGHT go for a FB like Horvath late I guess? But then again... in my best Festus Haggins imitation "I ain't real good at figurin' out what he's all up to!" Very Happy

Hal, I would have a hard time bypassing Jurgens or Chenal at #102. I think either would be a day one starter for the Phins. The more I look into Strange and Tom, the more I am thinking Grier might target one of them at 102 also.

Who knows? Grier rarely sets up his board the way I would set up mine... see the Festus Haggins quote above.

Laughing

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Am I right? No LBs or WRs drafted this year? - Page 2 Empty Re: Am I right? No LBs or WRs drafted this year?

Post by HalCHorn Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:14 pm

FF, I agree, I likely wouldn't trade down from 102 if Jurgens and Chenal were both there.  But...was sticking with my stand pat/wheel and deal plan for each beforehand.  I might have traded down in the other draft if someone was willing to trade up for a falling Sanders, but no one was.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:27 am

I'd be shocked if we don't take a C prospect like Tom, Strange, Jurgens or Fortner with either 102 or 125. Hines of LSU also projects to C but is ranked a bit lower. If I had to choose, I'd favor Strange or Fortner over the others but any of the five would be effective competition for Dieter.

Iowa State DT Eyioma Uwazurike is another potential sleeper for one of the later picks.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:40 am

Yeah, Hal, drafting a center is a must since Dieter is the only C on the current roster. We could sign one of the free agent vets that is still available, but IMO that will be a last resort if we can't draft one. It seems like a strong C class to me, and I'd be happy with any of those guys.

Alec Lindstrom could also be in play later in the draft...he's more of a project than some of those other guys, but since we now have his college coach I would think he'd be on the radar.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:19 pm

Punt god might be BPA

CarsonChris

DolFan 316 and white1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:04 pm

Failing any compelling options... I would be totally good drafting that punter. He sounds like a real weapon in changing the field!
white1
white1

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:42 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Punt god might be BPA

In what round? Certainly not round 3 or 4. Araiza isn't even the consensus best punter in this class.

Now that we have Morestead signed, I don't want to draft a punter at all. Use the actual picks to add depth and fill out special teams, and at punter just sign an undrafted FA and let him compete.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:19 pm

Oh come on Jmp, what's the harm in drafting a punter in the 7th and at least letting him and Morestead battle it out? SOMEBODY'S going to draft this Ariaza guy, he's got too much hype. Besides, we all know Grier wouldn't be taking anyone better at that spot.

Punter it is! cheers cheers cheers (But only in the 7th.)

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:39 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Oh come on Jmp, what's the harm in drafting a punter in the 7th and at least letting him and Morestead battle it out? SOMEBODY'S going to draft this Ariaza guy, he's got too much hype. Besides, we all know Grier wouldn't be taking anyone better at that spot.

Punter it is! cheers cheers cheers (But only in the 7th.)

If we had more picks, then sure, draft a punter. I won't be upset if they do draft a punter in the 7th, but it's not what I'd do.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:48 am

JMP wrote:If we had more picks, then sure, draft a punter.  I won't be upset if they do draft a punter in the 7th, but it's not what I'd do.

What would you do, then? scratch

It sucks that this is a four pick draft and half those picks are in the 7th, but that's the price paid for Tyreke Hill and Grier trading the Giants a third this year for Eichenberg Evil or Very Mad Wasn't it you who always used to say if so and so didn't work out it was no big deal since only a low pick was spent on the guy?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:10 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:If we had more picks, then sure, draft a punter.  I won't be upset if they do draft a punter in the 7th, but it's not what I'd do.

What would you do, then? scratch

It sucks that this is a four pick draft and half those picks are in the 7th, but that's the price paid for Tyreke Hill and Grier trading the Giants a third this year for Eichenberg Evil or Very Mad Wasn't it you who always used to say if so and so didn't work out it was no big deal since only a low pick was spent on the guy?

I'd look to build depth and special teams....DB, LB, OL, RB, etc.

Yes, I do think blowing low picks is no big deal. But given the choice of a position player that can play STs or a punter that we don't need I'll take the position player. If we hadn't signed Morestead, I'd be on board - but having Morestead means we don't need to spend a draft pick. Like I said, sign one after the draft.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:29 pm

Just for funsies, I decided to see if I could actually trade up for the top pick in this draft on the PFF mock. And it turned out that...I could! All I had to offer the Jags was...both of next year's firsts and second, and the first and second in 2024 as well. I tried offering Howard and they were like, "Nah, we good."

Now I have no idea who I'd even want to pick there, I just wanted to see if I could do it Laughing

EDIT: I guess taking Aidan Hutchinson would solve the edge rusher issue, no?

EDIT #2: Okay, it turns out that if I give up both firsts next year and the first in 2024, plus Howard, the Jags will accept that too. But nothing less.

EDIT#3: I decided to get even crazier and trade the top pick to the Jets for the #4, #10 and their 2nd next year Twisted Evil The Jets got Hutchinson, but I got Ahmad Gardner and Tyler Linderbaum. MUAHAHAHAHA!!! Twisted Evil

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:19 am

Hutch is the clear #1 pick to me, and it's not even close. I think he's far and away the best player in this draft. Most years, though, he'd likely fall somewhere in the top 10, maybe top 5, but not #1.

Not sure who is more overrated: Sauce Gardner or Kayvon Thibodeaux. I hope the Jets end up with one of them...I get a strong sense of "bust" from both of them, especially Thibodeaux.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:11 am

Ok, here goes with a "one week before" attempt.

Tyler Linderbaum is still there in the late second, I get Cincy to take 102 and next year's 2nd to move up and grab him.

Dominique Robinson at 125, or Chicago's offer of 148 and 150? I try to get them to send me picks next year instead of 150, eventually ditch the trade and take Robinson.

Two picks in the 7th that I'm OK with to close it. So unfortunately I gave up a 2nd in next year's draft haul, but I think getting Linderbaum is worth it.

MIA

Tyler Linderbaum
OC Iowa
trade icon
MIA

Dominique Robinson
EDGE Miami-Oh
MIA

James Houston IV
LB Jackson State
MIA

Jean Delance
OT Florida

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:23 am

IDK how some of you guys get so lucky with these mocks, guys like Linderbaum are never around that late when I do it Evil or Very Mad

Here's my mad scientist mock that has no way of ever coming close to happening.

First, I give the Jags Howard, the two firsts next year and the first in 2024 to move up to #1.

Then, I give the Texans that top overall pick in exchange for #3, #13 and their 4th (#107).

At 3 I take CB Derek Stingley after the Lions grabbed Gardner at #2 Shocked

I then traded down from 13 to 21 with the Pats who also gave me their 3rd (#85) and next year's 2nd. I could've had their 2nd and both their 4ths next year but chose the better pick now.

At 21 I took Linderbaum.

At 85 I picked Cole Strange, which got the lowest grade of my selections with a C. Hmmm...

At 102 I went with DeAngelo Malone over Robinson at EDGE.

At 107 I took WR Kyle Phillips who was the highest rated one left on the board, over Romeo Doubs.

At 125 I selected OT Kellen Diesch, who IRL I'm not crazy about but he was the highest rated OT left by far and PFF gave this pick an A. Robinson went 2 picks before.

At 224 I nabbed Ariaza because I didn't want to take a chance on anybody else snatching him before my last pick.

And at 247 I took QB Brock Purdy because at that point the board had been picked clean.

My overall draft got an A grade with the only C pick being Strange and every other pick getting at least a B, with my Texans trade getting a B+. The Jags trade wasn't graded since I did it before starting the draft. I do regret not taking a LB though but both Anderson and Muma went in that no man's land between 21 and 85 and I just thought taking Linderbaum was more important. Oh well.

DolFan 316

JMP and HalCHorn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:54 pm

It looks like I was wrong when I said...

FF wrote:And I would be shocked, shocked I say, if Grier uses a pick on a RB. Unless Spiller or someone drops down to #102, I think the Phins are set at RB. They MIGHT go for a FB like Horvath late I guess? But then again... in my best Festus Haggins imitation "I ain't real good at figurin' out what he's all up to!"

I just heard from a friend who has heard from a "reliable" source, the Phins are DEFINITELY going to be looking for a RB in the draft, and are even now assembling a list of RBs they think will go undrafted, so they can pounce on a couple after the draft if things do not fall their way.

He says he heard they are looking for a speed back more than a power back?

Also, he says he is hearing they are looking to bring in least one speed WR to develop with an eye towards the future.

So, if I am thinking correctly here... Needs are CENTER, LB, And Pass Rusher... but they may be looking to get a speed WR and a speed RB too? With four picks?

I assume this is the lateral picks board all teams set up for contingency picks if the player they had targeted gets snagged before they pick.

Who knows?

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:54 pm

UH oh...maybe my mad scientist scenario might not be so far from reality after all Shocked

I was only joking around and don't really think any of the future picks need to be given up, but knowing Grier he just might be serious about it!

One thing's for sure, he's painted himself into a corner with only four low picks. I keep going back to that damn Eichenberg trade up from last year where he gave the Giants a 3rd this year Evil or Very Mad That would've provided a *little* leeway. I at least get the Tyreek Hill trade, which is a bit less painful since Grier suckered himself into giving up the 15th overall pick to keep the 30th pick. But when you're mortgaging a draft to this degree there had damn well better be a playoff win MINIMUM.

And lord help us if Grier decides to trade next year's picks for Deebo Shocked Shocked Shocked

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:54 am

Ok, I just tried PFF's mock draft tool for the first time.  Got an A+ FWIW.

Lots of trades.  We're now well stocked for both 2023 and 2024.

Traded 102 to the Rams for 104 and 6th rounders in 2023 and 2024.
Traded 104 to Seattle for 109 this year, a 5th in 2023 and a 7th in 2024.
Then traded 109 and that 5th in 2023 to the Giants for 112 and their 4th next year.
And....112 to the 49ers, who gave me their 4th and 7th in 2023 and 134 to move up 22 spots.
I then traded 125 to KC for 135, a 2023 6th and a 2024 7th
I then traded 134 and a 2023 5th to the Jags for 134 and a 2023 4th (I figure their 4th rounder will be in the top half of the round next year, and so wil the Giants').  
So before making a single pick, we now have three 4th rounders, two 6th rounders and a 7th rounder added in 2023 (subtracting the two fifth rounders we had going in)

At 136 I took Kellen Diesch, OT Arizona State, PFF's 77th ranked player on the board.

I moved down again from 157, giving that and a 2023 6th to the Giants for 173, a 2023 5th, and a 2024 7th.

Then moved 173 and a 2024 7th to the Jags for 180 and a 2023 6th.

At 180: Joshua Williams, C, UNC Pembroke

HB ZaQuandre White of South Carolina and QB Brock Purdy round out the picks at 224 and 247.

Added 5 picks in 2023 and 4 in 2024 total (though the 2024 haul is all 6th and 7th rounders), giving us 12 and 11 picks total respectively for those drafts, and now 8 picks in the first 4 rounds in 2023, giving us enough ammo to do a lot of things.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:43 am

Yeah, I am starting to get that old... "UH Oh!" Feeling.

I just heard another rumor... The Phins want RB Breece Hall and if he slides any, they may try to move up to get him!!

A move like that would HAVE TO INVOLVE NEXT YEARS PICKS!!! I think Hall is probably going to go in the top half of the 2nd, or maybe higher!

I like Hall, but is it worth giving up a 1st rounder next year to get him?

So, DF316s "mad scientist" prediction could come to pass!

Hal - You are wheeling and dealing in a way that would have to make Goodell investigate you...for something!

Laughing
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:22 pm

finfanatic wrote:

I just heard from a friend who has heard from a "reliable" source, the Phins are DEFINITELY going to be looking for a RB in the draft, and are even now assembling a list of RBs they think will go undrafted, so they can pounce on a couple after the draft if things do not fall their way.

He says he heard they are looking for a speed back more than a power back?

I am not sure he'll be available for the Phins, but it's real difficult for me to imagine the Phins NOT drafting James Cook if they have the chance. He seems like the prototype McDaniel back - fast, quick, tough, excellent receiver, smart player...the total package for this offense.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:23 am

This is the first time in many years that I am not doing a full first round mock or a round-by-round Dolphins mock. Just never found the time. I'm glad we have a bunch of draft-heads here to the that dirty work! cheers

For the Phins, I'm looking at CB, C, LB, RB, WR and DL as the primary positions I'd like them to target (not necessarily in that order).

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:45 am

Yeah, this is a tough draft to figure out for the Phins...

I am hearing they are some very intense "discussions" going on over the conditional rankings the Phins are setting up for their picks. It seems the defense is all fired up over some LB or Edge Rusher and are pounding the table for him! Just a rumor but...

Conditional... You know... the "If Jurgens is there at 102 we take him, unless Chenal is there, unless so-and-so drops..." For instance. I have no idea about who they are targeting.

It does look likely that this draft may be about adding some more speedy weapons to backup the weapons the Phins already have, and maybe let a few of the older more expensive weapons go if these develop?

I am astounded to find myself ALMOST convinced that trading ups for Hall MIGHT be worth it! He looks to be a perfect RB for the McDaniels/Shanhan system it seems. I do not want the Phins to trade away a 1st next year to get up into the 2nd assuming Hall slides that far. If Hall gets by the Bills in the 1st I will be surprised!

Cook, the Phins could probably get if they desire him. He is not a power back, and seems he would do the same things Edmonds and Mostert are set to do in the offense? But, if he can replace one of them....

Who knows? I just really wish the Phins had a 2nd rounder at least.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:09 pm

Ok, two last run-throughs, one with no trades, one with wheelin' and dealin'.

I think C is the likely target at 102, maybe BPA at 125. Would like to see Fortner and Robinson myself, but there are a lot of intriguing Edge prospects and O-line prospects throughout the draft, particularly the interior. I think RB can be addressed late, without moving up for (say) Hall.

Using PFF since it's new to me and the fun one. Smile First, no trades:

102. Luke Fortner, C, Kentucky: Jurgens is long gone as is West. Best C available by far and the most likely to start.
125. Dominique Robinson, EDGE, Mia-OH: Still there, BPA IMO (PFF has Dietsch, I'm not as high on him as they are as I think he's a G only at next level)
224. Joshua Williams, CB, Fayetteville State: I doubt he's here, but PFF has him falling here. Tyrion Davis-Price, LSU halfback, would have been my second choice here.
247. Markquese Bell, S, Florida A&M: BPA pick.

A- from PFF, who didn't really like the Fortner pick that much.

Now, let's make some deals

102 goes to 49ers along with next year's 5th, in exchange for 105, a 2023 4th and a 2024 6th.
Tennessee is offering from 131 but I don't want to go down that far.
105. Fortner picked.
125. Logan Bruss, T Wisconsin. No trade offers I liked, highly graded OT who has a chance to stick at RT in the NFL IMO.
224. Davis-Price, HB, LSU.
247. Williams, CB Fayetteville (yes, I think it is highly unlikely he even makes it to 224, took Davis-Price this time for sake of variety, and he's still there at 247. OK, sold.)
Wow, only one trade, but moved up from the 5th to the 4th in 2023 and got a 6th for 2024. Would love to add several picks next year to really load up like we did the two prior years in the event that this year's big swing misses.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:49 pm

I just heard from the friend that told me the Dolphins Defensive guys are in love with a LB and want the Phins to trade up and get him: Devin Lloyd LB!!

I think that would require AT LEAST a 1st and 2nd from 2023. I think Lloyd would upgrade the Phins Defense automatically... And MIGHT be worth the picks, but...

I would rather hang onto the 2023 picks until we see if Tua IS the ANSWER!

Hal - Great picks.   I think if the Phins can trade down from 102 they will, but even if they do not, I have been selecting Zach Tom. He can play anywhere on the O-line and might start at C this year. Plus, he gives you the utility of Jesse Davis but hopefully plays better.  

I am starting to get the impression that Grier and Co are gonna make some picks that make all Phin Phans go "W...T..HECK!!"
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:57 pm

finfanatic wrote:I just heard from the friend that told me the Dolphins Defensive guys are in love with a LB and want the Phins to trade up and get him: Devin Lloyd LB!!

I think that would require AT LEAST a 1st and 2nd from 2023. I think Lloyd would upgrade the Phins Defense automatically... And MIGHT be worth the picks, but...

I would rather hang onto the 2023 picks until we see if Tua IS the ANSWER!

I think Omar Kelly was talking about a trade up for Lloyd, too.

I would never in a million years make that trade. This year's draft class sucks, and next year's will be excellent. It would be completely asinine to trade away high picks in 2023 for an overrated linebacker that probably wouldn't be a first rounder any other year. Just say no!!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next