The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BOYER FIRED (was "the official FIRE Boyer thread")

+5
white1
DolFan 316
finfanatic
JMP
mercury22nathan
9 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

BOYER FIRED (was "the official FIRE Boyer thread") - Page 2 Empty Re: BOYER FIRED (was "the official FIRE Boyer thread")

Post by JMP Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:57 pm

Marcel Louis-Jacques
@Marcel_LJ

The Dolphins lost several key starters to injuries this year but it wasn’t enough to save Boyer’s job — consider them very much in the Vic Fangio sweepstakes

Cameron Wolfe
@CameronWolfe

Dolphins defense regressed in 2022 and some players I talked to were not in love with the scheme. Now Miami moves on from Josh Boyer. Mike McDaniel now will have his own DC pick to run that defense this year.

Joe Schad
@schadjoe

Here are some of the Dolphins' NFL rankings in 2022: Yards per game (18th), points per game (24th), yards per play (14th), 3rd down defense (24th), red zone defense (23rd), takeways (30th), sacks per pass attempt (22nd).
2:53 PM · Jan 19, 2023

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz

Undone by injuries, poor 3rd downs, too few takeaways, too many blitzes that didn't work, some curious decisions (including that 3rd and 18 against the Chargers). He had total control of the defense, which was 18th in yards allowed per game but 24th in scoring defense.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

BOYER FIRED (was "the official FIRE Boyer thread") - Page 2 Empty Re: BOYER FIRED (was "the official FIRE Boyer thread")

Post by JMP Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:00 pm

https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/dolphins-announce-coaching-staff-changes-1-19-23

The Dolphins announced today that they have parted ways with defensive coordinator Josh Boyer.

"I am grateful for Josh's contributions this year and throughout his tenure with the Dolphins," Head Coach Mike McDaniel said. "The defense made strides through the season, so coming to this decision was not easy, but ultimately I feel it is in the best long-term interests of the Miami Dolphins and the continued growth of our players and team."

Safeties coach Steve Gregory, outside linebackers coach Ty McKenzie and assistant linebackers coach Steve Ferentz were also relieved of their duties.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:01 pm

So Boyer's out...but can we get Fangio????? scratch

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:06 pm

Can we start an official Fire Grier thread now?

CarsonChris

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:06 pm

Probably a long shot. Rumor has it he will work with Sean Payton wherever he is hired. I’m sure McDaniel will try - and having Chubb might help Fangio worked with him in Denver
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:10 pm

Damn, Great News but I Hope he keeps the DL Coach & Madison. Everyone else can Hit Bricks with Boyer.

finskev

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:10 pm

white1 wrote:Probably a long shot. Rumor has it he will work with Sean Payton wherever he is hired. I’m sure McDaniel will try - and having Chubb might help Fangio worked with him in Denver

Well, Fangio is interviewing with Atlanta, so that at least implies that he'd work without Payton. Honestly, if the asking price for Payton is true (2 firsts to Denver + $20-25 million a year for Payton) I doubt he'll even get a job.

Fingers crossed!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:17 pm

Shit we could Hire someone on this Site that would do Better than Boyer, Just Saying.

finskev

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:23 pm

If not Fangio, I wonder if McD will reach out to 49ers DL coach Kris Kocurek??? Kocurek was also a Dolphins DL coach under Gase for a season.

JMP
Admin

finskev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:26 pm

Someone else brought up Kocurek:

Chris Kouffman
@ckparrot

Dolphins will probably reach out to Vic Fangio about their DC job, but I'm also curious about Sean Desai, Kris Kocurek, Mike Rutenberg, and Aaron Whitecotton.

I'm sure Mike McDaniel would love to lure Jeff Ulbrich to Miami in a lateral move, but the chances don't seem great.
3:08 PM · Jan 19, 2023

JMP
Admin

finskev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:32 pm

From Neil Driscoll on Twitter :

Dolphins Defensive Coordinator Candidates I could get behind (in order)

1-Vic Fangio
2-Steve Wilks
3-Marvin Lewis
4-Kris Kocurek
5-Teryl Austin
6-Raheem Morris
7-Lovie Smith
8-Matt Patricia
9-Kris Richard
10-Mike Zimmer
white1
white1

DolFan 316 and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:48 pm

Off of White's List I Like. 1,2 & 4. and I would take Don Zimmer before Mike Zimmer. Laughing

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:41 pm

Hard no to Raheem Morris and Lovie Smith. I don't want to run the Tampa 2, and as I've already mentioned Lovie's defenses have sucked for years.

I am hoping for Fangio or Kocurek at this point. I'll have to think about other options.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:55 pm

He had to go. We need someone to bring in toughness and clean up the penalties.
Someone needs to tell X shut up and play because his performance can't catch up to his mouth.
The soft guys that don't want to play can find another team.
F IGGY.
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:37 pm

I knew when I saw the 15 new notifications that Boyer was gone. I'm just too nice, kind, sensitive and empathetic to ever want anybody to lose a job, but if it makes the rest of you happy I'm fine with it I guess.

Wink

finskev wrote:Shit we could Hire someone on this Site that would do Better than Boyer, Just Saying.

I volunteer...white1. cheers cheers cheers He saw the problems all along and as a coach, never would've let them fester as long as they did. I get the feeling he's a real whip-cracker IRL who knows how to get things done, amirite? Like cheap one ply toilet paper, I can tell he's a man who doesn't take shit from anybody Cool

BTW, and you know I don't like tooting my own horn, I just want to casually toss out that I wanted Fangio months ago. Just in case Boyer was ever fired at some point down the road, of course.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

JMP and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:53 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Can we start an official Fire Grier thread now?

Never forget that it was Grier who essentially forced McDaniel to keep Boyer this season. (Whispers.) Never forget...

DolFan 316

finskev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:42 pm

Good point and I remember thinking at the time it’s a no risk move for McDaniel. Either defense was going to be good, or Griers fault for insisting the defense staff stay largely intact
white1
white1

finskev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:50 am

I think McDaniel wanted to keep the defense intact year one. He was installing a completely new offense and had a playoff-caliber roster. No need to overhaul the entire team year one.

My guess is that the plan was always to replace Boyer in year 2. McD installed his offense year one, and now he'll install his defense in year two with a coach he knows and trusts.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:53 am

Another name I keep hearing is Seahawks' assistant Sean Desai. He worked under Fangio in Chicago.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:21 am

Another name I keep hearing is Seahawks' assistant Sean Desai. He worked under Fangio in Chicago.

It's a risk because he's "green". About the same age as McDaniel, and served only one season as DC for the Bears, worked his way up from coaching in the secondary.

The positive side is he most likely would install the "Fangio System" which is getting very popular in the NFL due to its effectiveness as a scheme. Does he know it well enough to build a staff, game plan, and call it right? I don't know...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:59 pm

white1 wrote:

It's a risk because he's "green".  About the same age as McDaniel, and served only one season as DC for the Bears, worked his way up from coaching in the secondary.

The positive side is he most likely would install the "Fangio System" which is getting very popular in the NFL due to its effectiveness as a scheme.  Does he know it well enough to build a staff, game plan, and call it right? I don't know...

Agree on all that.

You want experience? How about this: Leslie Frazier's contract with Buffalo is apparently expiring. Chris Kouffman mentions him as a definite long-shot for Miami...highly improbable, but certainly a situation to watch!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:13 pm

perhaps putting the cart before the horse, but here's a real deep dive into the Fangio scheme:

https://theathletic.com/3311028/2022/05/24/vic-fangio-defense-analysis/

now just trying to think about how the Phins' talent would fit this scheme - quite nicely i think.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:17 pm

Fascinating article, and the cool thing is that there are "Fangio Disciples" with experience in his scheme across the league.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:44 pm

I couldn't read the article, but I have looked at other stuff about Fangio's scheme.

If I'm looking at it correctly, our Von Miller-Bradley Chubb guys on the outside will be Jae Phillips and, well, Bradley Chubb. Phillips could be an absolute BEAST in this scheme! I'm kinda drooling about the idea of him in a scheme that takes advantage of his skillset...he was so good this season, but didn't get the numbers due to scheme limitations. With Fangio, I think we're talking about a 15+ sack player. Seriously.

I think Wilkins, Sieler, Ogbah and Davis are all great fits for the DL as well.

Denver FA LB Alex Singleton could be a name to watch, even though he didn't play under Fangio.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:45 am

Phins and Vikes have both requested permission to interview Sean Desai.

JMP
Admin

white1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next