The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Head coach search

+6
scotgif
HalCHorn
white1
DolFan 316
rightchea
CarsonChris
10 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Head coach search - Page 3 Empty Re: Head coach search

Post by JMP Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:29 am

Ian Rapoport
✔️
@RapSheet

Update on #Bears DC Vic Fangio: The #Dolphins, who requested him and did research, ended up not scheduling an interview with Fangio. So, it’s just the #Broncos for him. Miami, meanwhile, is still slated to interview ST coach Darren Rizzi this week.

So, no Fangio for the Phins. I'm totally fine with that...not a head coach IMO.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:56 am

I’m told the Dolphins taking about two hours give or take in these interviews. Interesting to me because I remember interviews going 4-6 hours back in the day.

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/status/1082312349380415490

why am i starting to get the feeling that Ross is just looking to hire a placeholder coach until Jim Harbaugh is ready to leave Michigan? i think Ross has already given up and is letting Grier clean up Gase's mess knowing full well that any coach he hires now will not succeed during the clean up. he'll then dismiss this coach and Grier handing Harbaugh the keys to the franchise in a couple years.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:34 pm

2 hours doesn't seem like nearly enough time for a head coach interview.

Reading between the lines, I really think a Harbaugh is the target...whether John this year or Jim next, I'm not sure.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:08 pm

why am i starting to get the feeling that Ross is just looking to hire a placeholder coach until Jim Harbaugh is ready to leave Michigan? i think Ross has already given up and is letting Grier clean up Gase's mess knowing full well that any coach he hires now will not succeed during the clean up. he'll then dismiss this coach and Grier handing Harbaugh the keys to the franchise in a couple years.

I hope that's not the case. Loser's mentality. Make the best hire you can. Coaches come out of nowhere and succeed, same as teams. Look at Frank Reich in Indy - fall back option after McDaniels said "no" and rescinded his acceptance - now he's in the AFC divisional round of the playoffs after crushing Houston in the wild card round.

The reverse is also true (cough cough Gase). Coaches people are touting as the next BIG CANDIDATE fail all the time. This year might be Bienemy or Richards, they are both very highly regarded, and both of them could fail as head coaches.

2 hours doesn't seem like nearly enough time for a head coach interview.

Reading between the lines, I really think a Harbaugh is the target...whether John this year or Jim next, I'm not sure.

I believe we are seeing a "round one" approach to these interviews. Meaning, I expect a full-day meeting in the next round with a couple/few select candidates. Apparently we've moved on from Munchak and Fangio, that still leaves six or so. I'd expect a follow on with 2-3 of the six before a decision is made.

Just saw on PFT that Harbaugh extension in Baltimore is in progress, with optimism it gets done. That leaves Ross the choice of hurting his alma mater... or hiring someone else. Interesting.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:16 pm

white1 wrote:

I believe we are seeing a "round one" approach to these interviews.  Meaning, I expect a full-day meeting in the next round with a couple/few select candidates.  Apparently we've moved on from Munchak and Fangio, that still leaves six or so.  I'd expect a follow on with 2-3 of the six before a decision is made.  

I just hope the guy the Phins want isn't gone by the time they get around to round 2. Richard would appear to be the frontrunner if the Harbaughs are out, but will he wait around for the Phins if other teams are interested?

I'm glad Munchak and Fangio are out. If we're going for a youth movement and a rebuild, I don't think a 60-year old coach makes sense. And again, with Fangio, I'm thinking there's a reason he's never been a head coach anywhere.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:48 pm

I just hope the guy the Phins want isn't gone by the time they get around to round 2. Richard would appear to be the frontrunner if the Harbaughs are out, but will he wait around for the Phins if other teams are interested?

I'm glad Munchak and Fangio are out. If we're going for a youth movement and a rebuild, I don't think a 60-year old coach makes sense. And again, with Fangio, I'm thinking there's a reason he's never been a head coach anywhere.

Agree on your thoughts here.

One GOOD thing about Ross, is he has proven he can get his man (outside Harbaugh, of course).

Gase was the hottest candidate last time around, and we were able to land him. If the Fins really want one of these guys... I think we'll get him. It's a pretty strong list, Richards does seem to be the frontrunner but all the candidates have some strengths.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:09 pm

white1 wrote:It's a pretty strong list, Richards does seem to be the frontrunner but all the candidates have some strengths.

I think I'd like to see the Phins cast a wider net. I mean, they've only talked with 4 people so far (Richard, Bieniemy, Allen and Flores), with Rizzi as a fifth. I'd like to see them go outside the box a bit and talk to some guys that maybe aren't the "hot" names...maybe a guy like Ravens' DC Don "Wink" Martindale, Vikings' DC George Edwards, 49ers' DC Robert Saleh, Chiefs' STs coach Dave Toub, maybe some college coaches. I don't know, it just seems like, other than Allen, we're talking to the same coaches that every team is talking to. It would be nice to see the Phins uncover a hidden gem instead of following the herd.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:13 pm

Supposedly, the Phins wanted to interview Mike Munchak but he turned them down. He may be the frontrunner for the Denver job.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:59 pm

Chris Kouffman
‏ @ckparrot

We have learned through a league source that Dallas defensive coach Kris Richard is expecting to conduct a second round of interviews with the Miami Dolphins, with timing dependent on the Cowboys playoff run.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:55 pm

The money for Howard is doable! Absolutely. But i don't want to keep anything that's going to hinder progress. this isn't going to be a three year build. It's more than likely going to be a 5year build. We are far and away THE worse interior line in all of football. To get the right mix and the right QB will take at least 3 years before they start to meld. We need to ground this thing out and start extremely fresh. I do like Howard and Drake but by the time we get this shit together and thats a big if. They'll be a six/seven year vets whose probably going to be replaced cuz we are paying them 12-13 mil a year. WE NEED NOTHING, to hold us back from building to the future. I'd keep Fitz, Gesicki, Smythe, Wilson, Grant, Fales....etc, etc, etc. keep the payroll down and flexible. look for progress and readapt the plan. keep reassessing the roster and solidify around younger cheaper talent until the nucleus has been identified. The identity of the team is clear. And, the direction of the team is absolute.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:26 pm

I like the way the defense played against the Seahawks last Saturday and also heard that he calls the plays even though he not title as DC, which is also a plus

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:02 pm

Adam Beasley seems to think that Brian Flores may be #1 on the Phins list. I'm intrigued by Flores...but need to look into him more.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article224032105.html

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:17 pm

Good read. Flores has as good a shot as any to pan out.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:23 pm

Maybe Richard as HC and Flores as his DC???

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:00 am

Flores is the one coach of the bunch that I absolutely do not want. Mark my words, he'll be a bust.

Which is precisely why I've resigned myself to the Fins hiring him.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:47 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Flores is the one coach of the bunch that I absolutely do not want. Mark my words, he'll be a bust.

Which is precisely why I've resigned myself to the Fins hiring him.

I'm not against Flores..he's an intelligent dude that has experience in a variety of roles for the Patriots.  I just think he's too green...even moreso than Bieniemy.  I think Flores could be a good head coach someday, but I'm not sure he's ready yet.  My take is he's more of a leader by example, rather than an outspoken leader; he seems very laid back and doesn't seem comfortable being out-front.  At this stage, I think the Phins need a more outspoken head coach, someone that exhudes confidence and can motivate the team with both words and actions.  But, I do like the idea of him as a DC under Richard, as I mentioned previously.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:14 am

I'll tell you one thing. The video of Grier talking, he said everything that made me feel like he's a good man, good person, and might be a great candidate for this job. Of course it's a purely emotional reaction, and he said what I, personally, wanted to hear, so take that for what it's worth.

If we're looking at a rebuild coach, go ahead and ink Rex Ryan. At least we'll have something fun to watch. Razz

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:19 am

There’s no one to green for the Dolphins head coaching job. Our front office has been abysmal for so long that Too Green May be the only coach we can get. I think Too Green is related to Denis Green

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:34 pm

Good points, all.

Agree. I read somewhere today that the Miami beat writers got to a couple "sources" close to two of the candidates. The coaches the Fins are talking to understand what's going to happen here. Basically, dump all the vets and bad contracts, either through trade or outright release, and bring in a bunch of rookies. Plus, start over at quarterback.

I still think the RIGHT GUY has a chance to succeed in spite of all this. First thing, Grier needs to find not only talent, but talent in the right spots and with the right priority. Get some damn TRENCH PLAYERS in here ASAP and don't sweat the skill positions right away.

I still think Howard and Tunsil are young enough to serve as cornerstones of the team. With Howard injury history.... I'm not as adamant as I was a few weeks ago. But I'd try and get a 1st round pick for him. Or a 2nd plus another lower pick.

Let's assume we keep both. You need a new D-line, but a good start would be two excellent rookie DEs, plus a couple journeyman FAs for depth. I'd draft a strong center, get a guard or too late, and add some depth players. If you fix the trenches, whoever we get as a "bridge" QB has a chance to succeed with a strong running game and defense.

Sure we might lose a lot of games, but they should be competitive. For all the money we've spent, we have precious little talent as it is. Younger players are not necessarily less talented, just more prone to mental mistakes. Get teachers in here, with sound schemes, and you can make it work.

I'm likely more optimistic than most. I just don't see the need to "tank". If you're smart in the NFL, you don't have to be down for long.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:48 pm

EDITING: Some updates to what I wrote below:

Oh hey, btw - where is Gase going to end up?

Packers: Hired the OC from Tenn.
Tampa: Negotiating with Arians to be their next HC, likely to bring Bowles in as DC (dammit).
Denver: Reportedly deciding between Munchak and Fangio
Browns:  Second interview with Vikings OC Stefanski.  Kitchens also possible.
Jets: Interviewed Klingsbury, but the Cards landed him.
Cardinals.  Klingsbury hired.
Bengals.  To my knowledge, Gase has not been mentioned here.  They have 5-7 on their list including McCarthy, Hue Jackson, Bienemy.

So... if things are panning out as reported (we should know on Cards and Tampa soon, Browns and Denver soon to follow), does this mean it's the Jets or nothing? Unless the Bengals suddenly become interested as jobs are filled and he's still out there?

Or does he end up as an OC again for one of the new staffs?

Someone also posted today (was it a joke) that Adam Gase, Alabama OC "has a nice ring to it". HAHA! Something about seeing him back with his old boss just makes me laugh. I hope it happens!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:27 am

I keep forgetting about that Bengals job...haven't heard much about their search at all.

Sounds like McCarthy is only interested in the Jets' job, but they seem to be in 'still looking' mode.  

I don't think Gase will get an NFL head coaching gig this season.  I bet a lot of owners are turned off by the way he reportedly treated Ross...those rich old white dudes are tight and tend to stick together! Maybe Gase will get a coordinator or QB coach job somewhere (Bengals???), but I suspect he'll be working in college in 2019.

As for the Phins, unless something crazy happens my guess at this point is Kris Richard.

Last edited by JMP on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:36 am

As for the Phins, unless something crazy happens my guess at this point is Kris Richard.

Good call on that one. They are keeping it pretty close to the vest, but someone said on Twitter yesterday reports are that Grier and Ross came away impressed with both Richards and Flores. That would seem to indicate Allen, Bienemy are long shots.

Rizzi has a chance.... but hiring him might represent a little TOO MUCH status quo from last season. Personally, I would have no problem seeing him get the job, assuming he can bring good coordinators to the table on both sides of the ball.

Any of these three get hired in Miami, I'm satisfied. I'm more interested to see the roster moves we make come free agency, plus any players we successfully trade to other teams for draft picks or players.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:51 am

I would have to agree, all three have either playoff or superbowl experience and do not have the title of guru. I really hate that title

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:04 am

I was interested in Rizzi early, but the more I think about it the less enthused I get.

First, it's lazy. It requires no thought and shows no real skill or initiative on Grier's part.

Second, Rizzi has been with the Phins since 2010. The Dolphins' record in that time is 65-79. He's a good coach and he certainly isn't to blame for that record. BUT...he has been a part of this awful coaching staff and he has been a part of the losing culture. I think a clean sweep is best...dump everyone and start over.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:45 am

Second, Rizzi has been with the Phins since 2010. The Dolphins' record in that time is 65-79. He's a good coach and he certainly isn't to blame for that record. BUT...he has been a part of this awful coaching staff and he has been a part of the losing culture. I think a clean sweep is best...dump everyone and start over.

It's a valid point. Let's face it. We are tearing this thing down and fans are going to get pretty upset if the losing product we forecast takes the field in both 2019 and 2020. It's an understandable tradeoff for future, long term success, and some fans will accept that.
However, it's a really tough sell if Rizzi is leading the team.

If you're taking a new direction, it's probably going to force the team's hand to make a clean break with the past. Even if it means losing a solid special teams coach. I'd love to keep him, but "optics" have high importance in a move like this.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next