The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tua Tagovailoa expected to be healthy, throwing for NFL teams by April

+3
JEGnj
rightchea
JMP
7 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Tua Tagovailoa expected to be healthy, throwing for NFL teams by April Empty Tua Tagovailoa expected to be healthy, throwing for NFL teams by April

Post by JMP Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:16 pm

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020/01/tua-tagovailoa-expected-to-be-healthy-throwing-for-nfl-teams-by-april.html

Former Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, who declared last week for the 2020 NFL Draft, is expected to be healthy by April and able to participate in a throwing workout for prospective teams.

Longtime NFL agent Leigh Steinberg, whom Tagovailoa hired last week, told AL.com on Tuesday that Tagovailoa is expected to hold about a 40-minute session in which he makes 60-80 throws in front of scouts.

If Tagovailoa is ready, that session could happen at Alabama’s pro day in March. If not, he could hold a separate pro day closer to the draft, which begins April 23 in Las Vegas.

“The [intention] there is the ball never touches the ground and I think he’s gonna blow away teams in that process,” Steinberg said.

Tagovailoa underwent surgery in November to repair a dislocated hip and associated fracture. Steinberg said Tuesday that doctors continue to be “quite sure” he will make a full recovery.

In the meantime, Tagovailoa continues to rest. He will travel to the Super Bowl in Miami next month with teammate Jerry Jeudy, who also signed with Steinberg, and take part in Steinberg’s party as well as radio row interviews.

“They’ll meet people at the Super Bowl from all areas of football -- coaches, general managers, owners,” Steinberg said. “It’s a convention of America.”

Steinberg stressed that he will maintain “very steady communication” and “transparency” with NFL teams during Tagovailoa’s recovery and pre-draft process.

“It’s total honesty with teams,” he said.

That will continue at the combine in Indianapolis beginning Feb. 25, where Tagovailoa will go through interviews with teams but will not participate in drills or throw.

But as the draft approaches, the expectation is Tagovailoa will be able to participate in a pro day and take part in individual on-campus workouts for teams.

“What Tua has going for him, incredibly, is first of all that athletes tend to have -- if they play football -- they have bodies that heal at amazing rates,” Steinberg said. "The recuperative power is not similar to an average person. They wouldn’t have made it this far in football if they were. The second thing is that he’s really young.

"You combine those two things, and we expect he will be healthy and working out by April.”

Wow!!! This may be just agent-speak, but if it turns out to be true than Tua is going top 3, without a doubt.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Tua Tagovailoa expected to be healthy, throwing for NFL teams by April Empty Re: Tua Tagovailoa expected to be healthy, throwing for NFL teams by April

Post by rightchea Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:06 am

The Lions are going to want too much for Miami to move up for him. I see Burrow going #1 and Tua going #3. Miami will have to give up half of their draft to get Tua and I don't see Miami making that move. If Herbert does well in the Senior Bowl and at the Combine then he going to Miami at #5.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Tua Tagovailoa expected to be healthy, throwing for NFL teams by April Empty Re: Tua Tagovailoa expected to be healthy, throwing for NFL teams by April

Post by JMP Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:04 am

rightchea wrote:The Lions are going to want too much for Miami to move up for him. I see Burrow going #1 and Tua going #3. Miami will have to give up half of their draft to get Tua and I don't see Miami making that move. If Herbert does well in the Senior Bowl and at the Combine then he going to Miami at #5.

Already said this in another post, but I don't think the Lions are taking Tua. Matt Patricia needs to win now to save his job and doesn't need a rookie QB. He needs players that can make an immediate impact, particularly on defense.

And since we have pick #5, the cost to move up shouldn't be too high. Whatever it is, the Phins have the ammo to make it happen and still have a bunch of picks left.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:07 am

JMP wrote:
rightchea wrote:The Lions are going to want too much for Miami to move up for him. I see Burrow going #1 and Tua going #3. Miami will have to give up half of their draft to get Tua and I don't see Miami making that move. If Herbert does well in the Senior Bowl and at the Combine then he going to Miami at #5.

Already said this in another post, but I don't think the Lions are taking Tua. Matt Patricia needs to win now to save his job and doesn't need a rookie QB.  He needs players that can make an immediate impact, particularly on defense.  

And since we have pick #5, the cost to move up shouldn't be too high.  Whatever it is, the Phins have the ammo to make it happen and still have a bunch of picks left.

This would be his best move. Getting the QB that everyone says that is ready day 1 in the NFL. you be crazy to pass him up. Also Matt Stafford isn't the man you want leading your team almost like Dalton.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:38 am

rightchea wrote:
This would be his best move. Getting the QB that everyone says that is ready day 1 in the NFL. you be crazy to pass him up. Also Matt Stafford isn't the man you want leading your team almost like Dalton.

Burrow is the only QB in this draft class that will likely be a day 1 starter, and the Lions have no shot at him.

And Stafford was having a MONSTER season before he got hurt - no reason for the Lions to move on from him. He had 19 TDs, 2500 yards and a 106 QB rating, with just 5 INTs, in only 8 games. Those are elite numbers. Meanwhile, the Lions had one of the worst defenses in the league. That's where Matt Patricia and the front office need to focus if they still want jobs in 2021. Taking Tua really makes no sense at all for the Lions.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:51 pm

Update...

Tua will be at the Combine! I don't think he's going to do any drills or anything like that, but he'll be there to do medical evals and interview with teams.

Tua has another scan on Feb. 10 which will provide a better idea of his prognosis, so teams should be able to get a good read on him at the Combine. So far, sounds like he's doing really well.

Very interesting...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:47 pm

Don't care. Don't want him. He will end up damaged goods in Miami.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:07 pm

Tua Tagovailoa expected to be healthy, throwing for NFL teams by April Shirt-miamitua-2020

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:58 am

This popped up online:

Luke Easterling wrote:If you’re a Miami Dolphins fan who has been dreaming of Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa as your franchise quarterback, you’re not alone.
In fact, the Tagovailoa family is now making it known that they would prefer Tua land in Miami.
Speaking on a radio show during Super Bowl week, Tua’s father says he hopes his son lands with the Dolphins (per iHeartRadio’s Andy Slater):

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2020/01/30/tua-tagovailoa-nfl-draft-alabama-dolphins-super-bowl/

I'm kinda surprised that they want Tua in Miami but at the same time I guess they know Miami needs a QB and he has the best opportunity.

JEGnj wrote:Don't care. Don't want him. He will end up damaged goods in Miami.

I agree I would rather Miami either get Herbert or wait til next year for a QB

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:13 am

“I’ll be participating in the Combine, but my main goal is not to win the 40, not to win the bench press, but to win my medical,” he told NFL Network. “I’m going to go over there looking to win my medical and then go in and interview with the teams. That’s pretty much what I’m going to do. And then hopefully there’s a pro day down the line, either late March or early April.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article239781668.html

he said, "hopefully"...so nothing is guaranteed. no one knows for sure if this whole thing will turn out well or not...not even Tua himself. sometimes it seems encouraging and he says things like...

Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa said Thursday he would be “more than happy” if the Dolphins selected him in April’s draft and that he will be physically able to play in the 2020 season if a team wants to use him as a rookie.

He told me “I will be ready to play” in 2020, but “if I had the chance to sit behind a veteran quarterback and learn from him, I would be more than willing to do so.”

but then other times he reveals the doubts and makes you wonder if knows things are worse than we know...

He told Fox Sports’ “First Things First” that he doesn’t know how high he will be drafted because “it’s just hard [to project], especially with the injury. No one can really tell if it’s going to heal correctly, [or] if it isn’t.”

He said “every team has health concerns, whether it’s my ankle, my hip.”

so one minute he's telling us its coming along fine and the next he's not even sure if it will heal correctly (ever?). truth is, only time will tell and it too early to know anything just yet.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:40 am

Well here is what his agent is saying.....

Darin Gantt wrote:Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa believes he could start right away if need be.
But his agent, who has been around a few quarterbacks in his day, thinks sitting for a year might be the best thing for his client.
Longtime agent Leigh Steinberg told Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press that he thinks not starting immediately might have benefits.
“I will tell you that Patrick Mahomes [was] greatly helped . . . by the fact that he had a year to learn and he learned behind Alex Smith, and Alex Smith was a generous mentor,” Steinberg said, mentioning another client of his who happens to be playing this weekend. “It takes the right personality in the existing quarterback to bring along the next young quarterback, but if you look at Aaron Rodgers, Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers, none of them started the first year and my wish for Tua would be that he would go to a team that would give him a year to learn the system and do everything before the pressure of being a starting quarterback was upon him.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/31/tua-tagovailoas-agent-hopes-he-doesnt-have-to-start-this-year/

So from what it sounds like Tua might not be ready at all to start. I see the benefits of sitting behind a vet like Fitzpatrick and him learning from a leader but at the same time I kinda skeptical about his health and if they are trying to say something in between the lines.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:00 am

rightchea wrote:

So from what it sounds like Tua might not be ready at all to start. I see the benefits of sitting behind a vet like Fitzpatrick and him learning from a leader but at the same time I kinda skeptical about his health and if they are trying to say something in between the lines.

I don't see any way Tua is ready to start in September. He may play at some point in the 2020 season, but certainly not from day one barring a miracle. Like you said, best thing would be to have him sit and learn behind a vet while he gets healthy.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:03 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
so one minute he's telling us its coming along fine and the next he's not even sure if it will heal correctly (ever?).  truth is, only time will tell and it too early to know anything just yet.

That's the nature of the injury. He's not even three months in yet. He will learn a lot more at his next scan in a couple of weeks...I think that will get us closer to some sort of a timeline.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:07 am

rightchea wrote:

I agree I would rather Miami either get Herbert or wait til next year for a QB

Waiting next year would be a disaster. We need to get this thing turned around soon, and waiting till 2021 to draft a QB puts us behind yet another year. Draft one in 2020, and then he'll be ready to be the starter in 2021. No reason at all to waste another season.

I'm starting to lean more toward Love than Herbert. Hopefully we can land Tua, but if not I'd trade down a few spots, get an extra pick or two, and take Love. Take a chance on a playmaker. Herbert has talent, but I'm sick and tired of dink and dunk QBs that can't play off-script and are afraid to make mistakes.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:35 am

I just can't see the difference between picking Tua in the top 5 and waiting until next year to take a QB. Either way a rookie QB wouldn't be playing for this team in 2020 so what's the real difference other than giving someone four years' worth of money to only play for three, and even that's a huge maybe?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:59 am

DolFan 316 wrote:I just can't see the difference between picking Tua in the top 5 and waiting until next year to take a QB. Either way a rookie QB wouldn't be playing for this team in 2020 so what's the real difference other than giving someone four years' worth of money to only play for three, and even that's a huge maybe?

If you draft a QB this year, he gets a year to adapt to the NFL and learn the offense, and he's good to go in 2021. If you wait to draft a QB in 2021, then you have to wait til 2022 for him to pay dividends - and that's assuming you can even find a worthy QB in 2021. The money is irrelevant...the Phins have tons of cap space.

Let's face it...we're not getting the first overalll pick in 2021, which means we're not getting Trevor Lawrence. Fact is, 2020 is the one season where we will be in position to draft a franchise QB. We may never have that opportunity again.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:09 am

JMP wrote:Let's face it...we're not getting the first overalll pick in 2021, which means we're not getting Trevor Lawrence.  Fact is, 2020 is the one season where we will be in position to draft a franchise QB.  We may never have that opportunity again.

Which is why Grier needs to at least make an offer to the Bengals for Burrow.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:27 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Let's face it...we're not getting the first overalll pick in 2021, which means we're not getting Trevor Lawrence.  Fact is, 2020 is the one season where we will be in position to draft a franchise QB.  We may never have that opportunity again.

Which is why Grier needs to at least make an offer to the Bengals for Burrow.

I'm sure Grier will talk to the Bengals, but whether he does or not, the #1 pick isn't for sale IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:48 am

The issue is going to be the Lions. I not saying they are going to draft Tua but there are a lot of team that would benefit from having Tua and the Lions GM knows it. I see a lot of team willing and dealing if Tua does well in the draft.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:10 am

rightchea wrote:The issue is going to be the Lions. I not saying they are going to draft Tua but there are a lot of team that would benefit from having Tua and the Lions GM knows it. I see a lot of team willing and dealing if Tua does well in the draft.

If the Dolphins are willing to trade up, no team can offer more. I would love to move up to 2 just to be on the safe side and guarantee that we get Tua.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:37 pm

That's my feeling too. Trade up to #2 with the Skins, and be done with it.

I stand by my earlier prediction that Burrow will be a bust. He scares me. If it plays out as predicted and Cincy drafts him, my prediction only gets stronger that he's a bust.

Go up and get Tua. He's elite. Forget about the health risk and dare to get a QB who can be an elite starter. Stop playing it safe!

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:44 pm

I really feeling the same way about Burrow as well. There no way this one hit wonder is going to be great.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:08 am

I want to say Burrow will bust because I am always afraid of those one hit wonders too. But he was just so damn good this season! I think Tua is the better QB when healthy, but Burrow can be great too. The Bengals need to beef up that OL a bit and get a TE, but they are strong at WR and RB. Not a bad roster for Burrow to work with.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:32 am

I'd rather have a one-year wonder than someone who's proven to be injury-prone but maybe that's just me. I say it took Burrow a year to get the Buckeye taint off him. Someone should've let him know that school has literally never produced an NFL QB worth drafting in its entire history. Seriously, the best Buckeye NFL QB so far has been...Mike Tomczak. Who was undrafted. Go figure. I'll put it another way, that school is so ignorant of what it takes to produce an NFL QB that they let Burrow walk to begin with! How'd that work out for them against Clemson this season? Laughing Laughing Laughing

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:55 am

This is why it is important for Tua to do all test at the combine. He needs to show that he can move, he not stiff at the hips and not worried about getting injured. If he looks like he is having a hard time Miami is not going to move up to get him, might even skip him at 5 and go after Herbert

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next