The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tua Tagovailoa expected to be healthy, throwing for NFL teams by April

+3
JEGnj
rightchea
JMP
7 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Tua Tagovailoa expected to be healthy, throwing for NFL teams by April - Page 2 Empty Re: Tua Tagovailoa expected to be healthy, throwing for NFL teams by April

Post by JMP Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:32 am

Tua isn't injury prone. He's had one significant injury, and early reports indicate that he'll be fine.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Tua Tagovailoa expected to be healthy, throwing for NFL teams by April - Page 2 Empty Re: Tua Tagovailoa expected to be healthy, throwing for NFL teams by April

Post by rightchea Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:21 am

I put it like this wait to see how he moves in the combine. If he looks like he is moving like he should then I all in but if he looks like he still needs some rest and more rehab then I would pass. At the moment Fitz is gonna be our #1 QB even if Tua is drafted. so right now we just have to wait and see

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:54 am

rightchea wrote:I put it like this wait to see how he moves in the combine. If he looks like he is moving like he should then I all in but if he looks like he still needs some rest and more rehab then I would pass. At the moment Fitz is gonna be our #1 QB even if Tua is drafted. so right now we just have to wait and see

Exactly. "Wait and see" is the is the way to go till we get more info.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:02 pm

Today is Tua's next follow-up visit in NYC. I wonder if/when we'll get an update on what happens at that visit...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:26 pm

This right here is concerning. If Rivera feels that Haskins isn't his QB then trading up might be an issue

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:05 pm

I don't know how much power Rivera has there. I think the Skins are an owner-run team right now, and I doubt the owner wants to move on from Haskins.

Haskins played really well in his last 2 games, against the Giants and Eagles, so I don't see why they'd move on from him so quickly.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:29 pm

Got some Tua news already:

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

The three-month CT scan for #Bama QB and coveted draft prospect Tua Tagovailoa was as positive as possible, sources say. The fracture has healed. The hip and its range of motion is good. It’ll likely be another month before he’s cleared for football activities, tho, as expected.

2:34 PM - Feb 10, 2020

Great news - sounds like everything continues to be on track. So he probably won't be able to do anything physical at the Combine, but I'm guessing he should be able to throw at the Alabama Pro Day or maybe even a special "Tua Day" prior to the draft.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:33 pm

Great news. Hoping it's so great someone else in front of us takes him.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:56 pm

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:17 pm

JEGnj wrote:Great news. Hoping it's so great someone else in front of us takes him.

At this point, he's almost a lock to go top 3. The "almost" becomes definite if he looks good at his pro day.

Bottom line: if the Dolphins want him, they have to move up - and they have the ammo to make it happen. I think they'll do whatever it takes. At this point, looking at all the other QB prospects, I'd consider it a major fail if Tua isn't a Dolphin.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:51 am

If he participate in the 40 and the long jump and scouts see that he not having any issues. Bengals are going after him at #1. I see the Bengals getting someone like Rivers for one year to help Tua in any type of leadership skills that he needs and allowing him to learn behind Rivers then allowing Tua to become starter year 2

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:15 am

rightchea wrote:If he participate in the 40 and the long jump and scouts see that he not having any issues. Bengals are going after him at #1. I see the Bengals getting someone like Rivers for one year to help Tua in any type of leadership skills that he needs and allowing him to learn behind Rivers then allowing Tua to become starter year 2

Tua definitely won't do any workouts at the Combine...maybe at the Pro Day.

Tua will definitely be in the mix for the Bengals at 1 if he looks healthy. That puts the Phins in position to get Burrow. I'd rather have Tua, but as long as we get one of those guys I'm happy.

Not sure if the Bengals would sign Rivers, but it has to be a possibility. Rivers to Tennessee would be interesting.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:19 pm

Seems like all the mocks have the Phins getting Tua at #5. Rarely does the initial draft wisdom end up being the real pick.

I still say if Tua looks good, some team is gonna go all in to get up ahead of the Phins to get him.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:04 pm

finfanatic wrote:Seems like all the mocks have the Phins getting Tua at #5.   Rarely does the initial draft wisdom end up being the real pick.  

I still say if Tua looks good, some team is gonna go all in to get up ahead of the Phins to get him.

Well, that's the thing: if the Phins really want Tua, no other team has the ammo to make a better offer. If the Skins or Lions are willing to trade down, they'll go with the highest trade offer...which will be the Phins. There's a reason Grier worked to get all these draft picks, and it wasn't to draft OL or some other non-impact position!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:42 am

Still trying to figure out why this team would trade up from 5 for the 2nd-4th best QB in this draft scratch Razz

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:36 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Still trying to figure out why this team would trade up from 5 for the 2nd-4th best QB in this draft scratch Razz

You don't know why a team would trade up to get the 2nd best QB in the draft??? scratch

Keep in mind that the first QB taken isn't always the best. In 2017, Trubisky was drafted #2 overall. The Chiefs traded up to #10 to draft the 2nd QB taken in that class: Pat Mahomes. Point is, when you identify the QB you want, you do whatever it takes to get him. We've stockpiled picks to ensure we get the QB...no reason to back down from that just because the price may be high.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:19 pm

I’ll double down. I trade all 3 firsts right now to DC.

This far from the draft the price will never be lower. We are a lock to get Tua or Burrow.

Think of it this way. Would I sacrifice picks used to get Minkah Fitzpatrick and Charles Harris to ensure I get a franchise caliber QB? You’re goddamn right I would. And I wouldn’t wait. Move now before anyone has a chance to react or gather more certainty on Tua medical
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:46 pm

white1 wrote:I’ll double down. I trade all 3 firsts right now to DC.

This far from the draft the price will never be lower. We are a lock to get Tua or Burrow.

Think of it this way. Would I sacrifice picks used to get Minkah Fitzpatrick and Charles Harris to ensure I get a franchise caliber QB? You’re goddamn right I would. And I wouldn’t wait. Move now before anyone has a chance to react or gather more certainty on Tua medical

I'm all for it. Whatever it takes. None of those picks matter unless we get THE QB, and I'm not willing to roll the dice on question marks like Herbert or Love when we have the opportunity to get an elite QB.

Trading 3 firsts to move to #2 would be overpaying, according to the draft value chart - we should be able to get away with just the #5 and the #18. But fuck it - GET THE QB. Don't play around, just get it done - even if it costs all 3 firsts. We'd still have a bunch of picks to build the rest of the team, plus free agency. But if you don't have the QB, it's all for nothing.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:55 pm

Exactly my point, at the risk of turning this board into an "echo chamber".

My point is, if Grier is aggressive, he can probably swing this deal for LESS than 3 1st round picks, as JMP points out via the widely accepted value chart.

The deal can be done. Go ahead and get it done! The local media LOVES to gripe about the 5 "meaningless wins" the Fins scored in 2019, and the horrible consequences. I call bullshit on all of that.

First, the wins were not meaningless, they were proof we have the right head coach in place. Ask the Patriots if that win had no consequences, it cost them their bye week and a playoff run, which might have been a SB run.

Second, we still have the draft capital to move up and get the QB we want - IF the team wants a QB that's available (I think they do). What did we give up? A LT that's good, maybe very good, not great and you'd like him to have less false starts. A free safety who bitched about his role until you let him out of town. A receiver (Stills) that probably wouldn't start on our squad, at a position widely regarded as the deepest on our roster.

So, we moved into this position by giving up very little in reality, so why not use it to get the QB you want? And please let's push the media to stop BITCHING about wins when those are exactly what we are using as a measuring stick on whether the coaches can carry us to where we want to go!

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:56 am

white1 wrote:
So, we moved into this position by giving up very little in reality, so why not use it to get the QB you want? And please let's push the media to stop BITCHING about wins when those are exactly what we are using as a measuring stick on whether the coaches can carry us to where we want to go!

You know I'm in complete agreement with everything you said, but I wanted to highlight this part. It's amazing that people don't realize how important it was to get to 5 wins. Winning is contagious, and those wins gave us something to build on and helped establish a culture as a tough, no-nonsense, mistake-free team. On the flipside,losing is also contagious - and if Flores had only won 2 games that would have greatly impacted his message and his credibility.

Sure, it would have been nice to have the #1 overall pick and save all our other picks, but winning trumps all. Knowing that we have a legit coach is worth more than having the #1 pick, especially when Grier set the table to get the QB by stockpiling picks. It's all going according to plan.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:27 am

It more about being smart than being aggressive. Miami has draft capital but they have draft capital because they have two more first round picks which can be used for players that are needed for areas that need improvement. It doesn't matter how good a franchise QB is if there is no defense supporting the offense. Miami has a lot of needs on the defensie side of the ball. DL, LB, FS, SS, DE, and CB. That is literally every position on defense. Even if you go one for one between the draft and free agency, Miami still have needs on the offensive side of the ball as well.

So yeah, Miami could go all out in free agency and find good to average players to take those position but from what it looks like Miami's oldest player will be Fitzpatrick and Rashad Jones. Grier and Flores are looking for young players that will be cheap and able to keep for several years and we all have said it before stop relying on free agency to build your playoff team. Miami has three first round picks and two second round picks this year. even if Miami gave up one pick it would be better than handing all three first round picks just for one player.

To be honest I don't seeing the Redskins moving out of the #2 pick so they can get themselves a great edge rusher. there are two NFC teams behind the skins they would love for the Redskins to trade down to get Chase Young, everyone knows it and the Skins know it as well and they are not going to let the Giants get the opportunity nor will they let the Lions. Even if Miami tried to trade up to #3, there is still a chance that the Lions will want to get Tua. Stafford is 32 years old and has no competition. Rivers, Brady, and Brees made it to their 40 (or close to it) and still playing but two out of three of them have won Superbowls and Brees only won one.

Redskins, Lions and Giants are going to want the world for those picks and Miami would be better off find players to help other position instead of giving the up world for Tua

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:31 am

JMP wrote:
white1 wrote:

You know I'm in complete agreement with everything you said, but I wanted to highlight this part.  It's amazing that people don't realize how important it was to get to 5 wins.  Winning is contagious, and those wins gave us something to build on and helped establish a culture as a tough, no-nonsense, mistake-free team.  On the flipside,losing is also contagious - and if Flores had only won 2 games that would have greatly impacted his message and his credibility.

Sure, it would have been nice to have the #1 overall pick and save all our other picks, but winning trumps all.  Knowing that we have a legit coach is worth more than having the #1 pick, especially when Grier set the table to get the QB by stockpiling picks.  It's all going according to plan.

I would have to agree, this also helps when it comes to free agency. Players don't want to play for a team that is willing to loss every game just to get a first round pick, an organization would loss trust in their ability to lead and win. Flores showed that he is willing to take chances and make things happen to win and players want to see that. If I was a average player or even a good player that a free agent I would rather go to the Fins that at least tried to win five games instead of a team like the Bengals where you not sure if the coaching staff is bad or if they were just willing to loss.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:56 am

rightchea wrote:It more about being smart than being aggressive. Miami has draft capital but they have draft capital because they have two more first round picks which can be used for players that are needed for areas that need improvement. It doesn't matter how good a franchise QB is if there is no defense supporting the offense. Miami has a lot of needs on the defensie side of the ball. DL, LB, FS, SS, DE, and CB. That is literally every position on defense. Even if you go one for one between the draft and free agency, Miami still have needs on the offensive side of the ball as well.

So yeah, Miami could go all out in free agency and find good to average players to take those position but from what it looks like Miami's oldest player will be Fitzpatrick and Rashad Jones. Grier and Flores are looking for young players that will be cheap and able to keep for several years and we all have said it before stop relying on free agency to build your playoff team. Miami has three first round picks and two second round picks this year. even if Miami gave up one pick it would be better than handing all three first round picks just for one player.

To be honest I don't seeing the Redskins moving out of the #2 pick so they can get themselves a great edge rusher. there are two NFC teams behind the skins they would love for the Redskins to trade down to get Chase Young, everyone knows it and the Skins know it as well and they are not going to let the Giants get the opportunity nor will they let the Lions. Even if Miami tried to trade up to #3, there is still a chance that the Lions will want to get Tua. Stafford is 32 years old and has no competition. Rivers, Brady, and Brees made it to their 40 (or close to it) and still playing but two out of three of them have won Superbowls and Brees only won one.  

Redskins, Lions and Giants are going to want the world for those picks and Miami would be better off find players to help other position instead of giving the up world for Tua

I agree Miami has to be smart. And in this case, the smart thing is to do whatever it takes to draft a franchise QB. Drafting a DE or OT or CB is like spitting into the ocean - it's not going to make any difference at all. The ONLY way this team goes anywhere moving forward is with a real QB - and that means getting Tua or Burrow.

As far as the Lions, IMO Tua makes no sense for them since he will miss a good portion (if not all) of the 2020 season. If they take a QB, it's probably Herbert. But I think they keep Stafford, who was playing the best football of his career before his injury.

And I don't think the Giants are trading #4. Gettleman never trades down in round one. They'll almost certainly stay at 4 and take the best OT on their board.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:36 am

This is how I thinking it should be....

Armando wrote:Firstly, the club’s view of Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa is not of a slam-dunk pick near the top the draft. At least not yet. The Dolphins will go through the process of vetting Tagovailoa at the Combine and beyond, as other teams will, before deciding if he’s worth the No. 5 overall selection, which Miami holds in the first round of the April draft.

Secondly, the club has an increasingly positive view of Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article240357851.html

Well not really the part about Herbert but we don't want Miami just banking on one player. Keep your options open and if he doesn't do good in the combine or beyond then might have to look else where. At the same time don't count Miami out of the Tua race.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:30 am

from the same article.

One source said the Dolphins are not just concerned about Tagovailoa’s return to full health from the fractured and dislocated hip he suffered last November, but also about his durability in the long-term beyond the current injury.

Tagovailoa suffered multiple ankle and other injuries during his time as the Crimson Tide’s starter and while he has remarkable accuracy and displays other valuable gifts, including leadership, his relative smallish size (approximately 6-foot and 225-230 pounds) and only modest mobility has raised the question about his ability to remain injury free in the NFL.

this could all be pre-draft subterfuge or might be the Phins tempering expectations and trying to stave off the disappointment if Tua gets selected before they get a chance to pick him.

Herbert is the most obvious alternative and another source said that in meetings among Dolphins personnel people, he has advocates. The Dolphins generally love Herbert’s size (6-foot-6 and 237 pounds), his arm talent, and his mobility, which he displayed in the 2020 Rose Bowl when he ran for three touchdowns.

One source noted how Herbert was the star of practices during Senior Bowl week and the fact he attended the game was impressive to scouts who liked what that said about his desire to compete against top competition.

trying to prepare the narrative in the event the Phins have to settle for Herbert?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next