The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Penei Sewell or DeVonta Smith?

+5
mercury22nathan
DolFan 316
JEGnj
JMP
CarsonChris
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Penei Sewell or DeVonta Smith?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Penei Sewell or DeVonta Smith?

Post by JMP Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:07 pm

Chase seems like he'd be the perfect receiver for Fitz, and Smith seems like he'd be the perfect receiver for Tua. So to me, there's only one choice.

The most important trait for a WR for me is route running (well, besides hands). It is what made guys like Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Amari Cooper and Calvin Ridley so good. Most receivers come out of college as poor route runners and need to learn to do it - and that's why so many struggle early. The guys I mentioned were way ahead of most other receivers because they could run routes already, and Smith fits into that category. Nothing makes a QB's job easier than a receiver that is consistently where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be. Chase is a nice player, but he does not have the savvy route-running skill that Smith does - and it's really not close.

Smith's size used to be an issue for me - and then I started watching him closer and realized that his size isn't a problem in any way. He is physical despite being skinny, and it is impossible to jam him at the line. The way he plays translates perfectly to the NFL, because he is such a good route runner and his quickness, balance and hands offset any concerns with his weight.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Penei Sewell or DeVonta Smith?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Penei Sewell or DeVonta Smith?

Post by Umix10 Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:37 pm

I agree with JMP. In this particular offense, you need route running skills. I believe that this group we have on the roster is just not proficient enough. Parker is not a polished receiver. He never was. The best route runners we had were probably Davone Bess and Jarvis Landry. There is just no one we've brought in that even comes close to it.

Smith may not be the Unanimous choice at 3 but he is the best WR for this offense and this QB. This is the NFL and players should adapt but having already built a chemistry with Tua. No doubt the pick should be Smith.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2