The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fangio Hired! (really, it's true!)

+4
CarsonChris
JEGnj
DolFan 316
white1
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Fangio Hired! (really, it's true!) Empty Fangio Hired! (really, it's true!)

Post by white1 Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:03 pm

white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Fangio Hired! (really, it's true!) Empty Re: Fangio Hired! (really, it's true!)

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:21 pm

(Reads thread title. Joygasms. Faints.)

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:36 pm

Wow Dolphin's finally going with one of the top experienced guys out there instead of the next best experienced one.
Also someone sitting behind McD if he continues his failures to adjust and manage the game.
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:10 pm

A lot of thoughts and interesting things to watch this off-season.

Will write more but I’m at a scout meeting then having some friends over for the Chiefs Bengals game
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:57 pm

white1 wrote:A lot of thoughts and interesting things to watch this off-season.

Will write more but I’m at a scout meeting then having some friends over for the Chiefs Bengals game

Scout meeting??? As in, scouting players perhaps? Wink

I hope you're not too upset at being passed over, you were my second choice Cool

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:38 pm

Sorry scoots as in BSA 😀
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:52 pm

white1 wrote:Sorry scoots as in BSA 😀

If I remember correctly don't you live near Redding California?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:14 pm

I’m in Atlanta GA

May have posted from CA a few times I travel there for work every now and then
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:00 am

great hire. now the Phins should have a more than competent defense to pair with McDaniels offense. if Tua can remain healthy, this team will push much farther into the post season.

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:04 am

Fangio was considered the best DC candidate. I was hoping they would look at Wilks... but after Wilks and his lawyer started the whole "race" crapola because Reich got the job in Carolina... Wilks is off my list for sure.

The NFL and this Rooney Rule is absolute BOOLSHIITE of the highest caliber IMO. You FORCE a team to look at a minority candidate and then if they do not get the job, they are instantly going to cite "race" as the cause they didn't get the job... when in fact... it could be the stupid rule was the ONLY REASON they looked at a minority candidate. I hope the NFL gets sued and has to pay millions for their own stupidity. Woke idiotic virtue signaling dipshiitery ultimately bites the hand that feeds it IMO.

End of diatribe.

I wonder what personnel changes Fangio wants/wanted and demanded before he got the job? If any?

It would be so "Miami Dolphin-esque" to fix the defense and have the offense go in the toilet next season.

(SIGH)
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:04 am

OUTSTANDING job by the Phins to land Fangio! This is such a huge move...I can't wait to see how he transforms the D!

By the way: PFT, always a great place to read BS, is reporting that deal isn't finalized, but every other legit source says it is.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:24 am

JMP wrote:OUTSTANDING job by the Phins to land Fangio!  This is such a huge move...I can't wait to see how he transforms the D!

By the way: PFT, always a great place to read BS, is reporting that deal isn't finalized, but every other legit source says it is.

Make no mistake about it, I only click the articles there for the comments, which are always far better than the articles themselves which I barely or never even read these days.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:57 am

Sounds like one lone source in Denver trying to dispute the deal. All other media outlets reporting it is done. Including Sun Sentinel, Dave Hyde did a full write up on the deal and praising Ross - AFTER the deal was reportedly not-done by the Denver source.

As for PFT - they had two conflicting links up yesterday late afternoon. Both are not on the page, now...
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:21 am

yea, you can't trust PFT. for whatever reason, Florio always seems to have an ax to grind with Miami.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:31 pm

Michael Silver
@MikeSilver

For what it's worth, Vic Fangio told me late last night, "Nothing has been decided on my end." There is a huge amount of mutual respect between Kyle Shanahan and Fangio, a highly successful Niners DC under Jim Harbaugh. And it appears the 49ers will have an opening soon.
11:53 AM · Jan 30, 2023

scratch

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:09 pm

There still hasn't been an official announcement from the Phins yet, so it definitely seems like Fangio has not been hired. We'll see what happens, but I'm starting to worry...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:00 pm

Dammit. Why can't we have nice things?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:18 pm

Florio gleefully point out it's not done yet.

This is next level BS. If I'm McDaniel I have half a mind to simply rescind the offer and make it public.

By all appearances, Fangio is simply using Miami to set the market rate for his services. What happened to good faith negotiations? Oh let's talk, and I'll sit on this offer until I find out if SF job is open?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/30/vic-fangio-to-dolphins-isnt-official-until-its-official/

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:59 am

white1 wrote:Florio gleefully point out it's not done yet.  

This is next level BS.  If I'm McDaniel I have half a mind to simply rescind the offer and make it public.

By all appearances, Fangio is simply using Miami to set the market rate for his services.  What happened to good faith negotiations? Oh let's talk, and I'll sit on this offer until I find out if SF job is open?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/30/vic-fangio-to-dolphins-isnt-official-until-its-official/

The good news here is that Florio (unsurprisingly) added no new info to this discussion...he simply rehashed what others have said.

There is some speculation that Fangio either won't or can't sign anything until the Eagles' season is over...it could be him not wanting to create a distraction, it could be a non-compete clause in his consulting deal with the Eagles, or who knows what. So it is possible that the deal is worked out but can't be officially signed until after the Super Bowl. It doesn't seem like the Phins are worried since they have not hired anyone else, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Neutral

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:58 am

Did Miami fly a plane back to meet him with Ross? If so this deal is doomed!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:05 am

the original report from Tom Pelissero who is usually pretty accurate and careful about using reliable sources said that the Dolphins had "agreed to terms" with Fangio - not that they had actually hired him.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1619778424180183040?s=20&t=ictv1ox_xUBqgvNoIulzPg

i'm hopeful this is just a matter of using the correct wording until a deal can be officially consummated once the Eagles season is over (i have no idea what his contract with Philly says or doesn't say). note that none of Pelissero, the Dolphins or the Eagles have released any type of follow up. if Pelissero's tweet was down right wrong, i would think he'd would've come out to clarify, but he appears to be standing by his words (seemingly indicating he's confident in his source).

so, if terms had been agreed, but could not be officially announced, who let the cat out of the bag. if Fangio himself is reticent to say a deal is done - perhaps due to his Eagles contract - could someone in the Phins' organization been dumb enough to prematurely spill the beans? certainly possible, but why risk alienating Fangio by potentially putting him in hot water with his current employer? well, yes, Ross, et al, have done dumber things.

however, if i had to guess, in looking at the timing of the original tweet - about a half hour before the kickoff of the 49ers vs Eagles championship game - and knowing that Fangio has friends and associates entrenched in the 49ers organization. i would say this info came from someone within SF who had knowledge of the situation and thought this announcement just might reverberate through the Eagles locker room just before kickoff. while it might not (and did not) have much of an impact - perhaps the thinking was any little thing to shift the Eagles' defenders focus just before the game commenced couldn't hurt SF's chances.

just my (perhaps hopefully optimistic) two cents.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:18 am

The delay in official signing is curious, and makes me think there is merit to a theory around timing with current Eagles consultancy.

There is a reporter in CA that is trying to backup the Denver report (I think). However, if DeMeco Ryans is heading to Houston, and Fangio is interested in replacing him, then why hasn't that happened yet? SF season is over, and Ryans can take a new job at any time. Similarly, Fangio could agree to terms with the 49ers and join the team as soon as Ryans accepts his HC position.

Yet, here we are Tuesday morning and none of this has happened.

Here's *my* optimistic take. And not because "oh we might not get him" doom and gloom - more of - I think it would be a lot of fun to watch a talented DC work with this squad. When's the last time we were excited about our defense? Maybe year 1 with Flores? During the "tank"? Pales in comparison to landing a talent like Fangio.

Anyways. Fangio and McDaniel share the same agent. Very little chance of confusion / obfuscation / miscommunication with that wide-open communication channel between McDaniel and Fangio.

And yes, the fact the Dolphins haven't resumed interviews, or made a different choice, is encouraging.

It is possible one (or more) teams is trying to pry Fangio away now that terms have been announced.
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:54 am

I found the answer to one question. Ryans wrapping up in SF yesterday, expected to be announced as head coach of Houston either today or tomorrow.

Once his spot in SF is vacant, that's the time to hold our breaths for clarity on Fangio - if he is going to be the replacement there, and that's our competition....

One side thought: Replacement for Ryans was rumored to be Kucorek (sp) - current DL coach. Do we bring him in for interview if Fangio takes the job in SF?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:01 am

white1 wrote:

One side thought:  Replacement for Ryans was rumored to be Kucorek (sp) - current DL coach.  Do we bring him in for interview if Fangio takes the job in SF?

If I had to guess, I think Fangio comes to Miami. But Kris Kocurek has been on my radar for DC for awhile, and I'd definitely interview him in this scenario - even though I think Desai gets the job if Fangio turns it down.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:52 am

i don't think this has anything to do with it, but isn't it odd Fangio's former HC is meeting again with his former employer - even after confirming his commitment to return to Michigan?

Broncos owner Greg Penner and University of Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh met last week in Ann Arbor to discuss Denver's head-coaching position without any deal materializing, league sources told ESPN.

Although Harbaugh two weeks ago announced he was staying at Michigan, Penner did his due diligence and still traveled to Ann Arbor to meet with the coach in person, like he's done with seven other candidates during the Broncos' head-coaching search.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35547589/sources-broncos-jim-harbaugh-follow-meeting-result-deal

why would they meet if Harbaugh already said he's returning to Michigan?

Harbaugh: well, i could be convinced if i can bring Fangio with me.
Penner: nope, been there, done that.

nah, that couldn't be.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next