The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fangio Hired! (really, it's true!)

+4
CarsonChris
JEGnj
DolFan 316
white1
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Fangio Hired! (really, it's true!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Fangio Hired! (really, it's true!)

Post by CarsonChris Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:24 pm

I just read an official announcement will be in an hour

CarsonChris

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Fangio Hired! (really, it's true!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Fangio Hired! (really, it's true!)

Post by white1 Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:30 pm

Barry Jackson doubled down to this effect (I'm paraphrasing from Twitter) :

Fangio has agreed to terms with Miami. If he SHOCKINGLY changes his mind, I'm sure the world will know. (caps in emphasis mine).

In other words, Fangio reversing a decision he's already made would be a huge surprise to everyone that confirmed terms of a deal were reached and agreed on.

Someone else said Fangio changing his mind would be "a very bad look". I'd take that with a grain of salt. Josh McDaniels changed his mind too, and got a head coach job just a few years later when he was ready for another shot. So....what does Fangio at near-retirement-age really have to worry about his "look"?

white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:50 pm

I just read an official announcement will be in an hour

A lot of trash chatter out there, hopefully whoever you read is right! Smile

I'm feeling more confident right now... still a little unsettled, want to see this done so I can write up all my thoughts on scheme, the roster, and players I see impacted (either positive or negative).

A lot of thoughts but don't want to waste my time in case the deal falls through!
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:28 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:i don't think this has anything to do with it, but isn't it odd Fangio's former HC is meeting again with his former employer - even after confirming his commitment to return to Michigan?

Broncos owner Greg Penner and University of Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh met last week in Ann Arbor to discuss Denver's head-coaching position without any deal materializing, league sources told ESPN.

Although Harbaugh two weeks ago announced he was staying at Michigan, Penner did his due diligence and still traveled to Ann Arbor to meet with the coach in person, like he's done with seven other candidates during the Broncos' head-coaching search.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35547589/sources-broncos-jim-harbaugh-follow-meeting-result-deal

why would they meet if Harbaugh already said he's returning to Michigan?

Harbaugh:  well, i could be convinced if i can bring Fangio with me.
Penner:  nope, been there, done that.

nah, that couldn't be.

Harbaugh is such a snake. He almost makes Saban look like a good guy.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:31 pm

Yeah, all the major media outlets said that Fangio and the Dolphins agreed to terms - and even released details of the deal (3 year deal with an option for a 4th, highest salary for an assistant coach). Why Fangio didn't actually sign the deal yet, I have no idea - but I'm pretty confident in believing that a deal was agreed to. So I'm not too worried...yet!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:06 pm

Josina Anderson on twitter says Fangio “expected” to talk to 49ers

Whatever.

He agreed to terms if he backs out then eff him go with next candidate
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:26 am

*I changed the thread title to reflect the uncertainty of this topic! LOL

The 49ers news is strange. Everyone in the world knew that Demeco Ryans was leaving San Fran, so why would Fangio agree to terms with the Dolphins, or even interview with them at all, if he wanted the 49ers job? It's not like that was a surprise job that popped up out of nowhere. Of course, some people are saying that Fangio did not agree to terms with Miami, so who knows. And of course, there are also people saying that Fangio will go to Denver with Payton, even though that team just fired Fangio a year ago and (I think) are still paying him. I don't know...this story has turned into a clusterfuck and I don't know what to believe.

I still think Fangio ends up in Miami, but at this point nothing would surprise me.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:42 am

Yeah, it's an interesting topic with some technicalities in the terminology.

For a couple reasons, I still think the possibility with the highest odds is Fangio in Miami. One, he has a strong relationship with McDaniel and they share an agent. Hard to imagine a Josh-quits-on-Colts scenario here.

Of course, some people are saying that Fangio did not agree to terms with Miami, so who knows.

Barry Jackson has made strong statements towards this aspect of the reporting. There appears to be *no dispute* that Miami and Fangio agreed to terms. Details even came out on the years, and the fact he will be the highest paid DC in the league.

Where the details come into play is "agreed to terms" isn't the same as "signed the contract". So Fangio, for now, is in limbo. The contract has certainly not been signed and thus the Dolphins have released no statement.

Josina Anderson reports the 49ers are *expected* to talk to Fangio. They appear to be interviewing candidates right now to get the Rooney Rule satisfied.

Oh - don't worry - Ross IS involved here. Apparently, 49ers owner York and Ross do not like each other. I don't know the source of the ill will. Rest assured, York would relish the chance to steal a coach from Ross. Especially a highly respected, highly sought out assistant like Fangio.

Final tidbit. A "source" - and no idea how credible - has been repeating for days that Fangio has a girl friend and she lives in the SF bay area. Makes me wonder why he would serve as a consultant for Philly if that's the case, but besides the point. If true, well taking over the top defense in the league and living in the same city as his girl friend.... I don't think money becomes too much of a factor. Which is really all Miami has to offer. Other than the talent, and we can debate all day but I believe SF has the edge there especially at linebacker and pass rush.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:53 am

Tons of interesting angles, and lots of rabbit holes to jump down for sure!

I heard that about Fangio's girlfriend too, but his last 3 jobs were in Chicago, Denver and Philly so I'm not sure her being in SF matters. Again...who knows!  LOL

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:53 am

Fangio has supposedly been living in Florida with his elderly mother for the last year while commuting back and forth (when necessary) and doing the virtual thing to consult with the Eagles.

and the 49ers have requested permission to interview Steve Wilks for their DC job. i get the Rooney rule, but why would Wilks bother interviewing if it already appeared SF wanted Fangio - especially considering Wilks previous stance about being passed over for being black.

the whole "hold up" seems very strange. at first i was thinking it might indeed be an Eagles contract thing and we'd have to wait another week and a half for resolution, but if the Eagles really wanted to, they could let him go ahead and acknowledge his going to Miami. not sure what benefit they would get by forcing him to stay mum. is his consulting deal really that impactful on their potential Super Bowl performance - and if so, what does that say about their actually DC?

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:05 pm

Strange. Both sides agreed to a deal, but apparently Fangio is weighing the 49ers versus the Dolphins jobs?

Given the same moolah, I would WALK to San Fran rather than go to Miami where Steven "King of there DipShiites" Ross is the owner!

Everyone always says Ross is not as bad as Huizenga and whatnot, but when the owner's reputation for dumbarsery is so well known it HAS to be a factor in luring good players and candidates IMO. Huizenga made bad personnel decisions based on bad opinions from people who should know better (Jimmah!) but he never attempted to circumvent the rules and procedures...that we know of.... or at the least, was not stupid enough to get caught like Ragin' Dumbarse Ross!

Even after my diatribe the other day on Wilks, I have a friend in So Fla. who says he thinks Wilks would be PERFECT for the Dolphins DC position. He says paraphrased "The guy gets more out of his players than any DC he knows. And he doesn't have to have All Pros to be good defense either."

I am hoping Fangio signs, but...
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:13 pm

I'd take Miami over SF every day and twice on Sunday if I was a defensive coordinator.

Any coach worth his salt likes a challenge. What's a bigger challenge: taking a top defense and making it...more top? Or, taking a bottom of the league defense and making it a top defense? And it's not like the Dolphins D is without talent - there's a bunch of players that I'm sure Fangio would love to work with.

Then there's the weather...no comparison.

And, Miami's training facility is considered one of the best in the league.

And, Florida income tax = lowest in the country; California income tax = highest in the country.

And, say whatever you want about Ross but he will spend money and Fangio will be the highest paid assistant in the NFL. I'm not sure the 49ers would offer the same.

Anyway, like I said earlier - I'm sure Fangio knew about the 49ers opening when he agreed to terms with Miami - because every person in the world knew about that job opening. So why would he agree to terms with Miami, knowing that he could get the Niners job? It makes no sense to me.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 and HalCHorn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:53 pm

ThatsGoodSports
@BrandonPerna

Vic Fangio will be the first defensive coordinator in NFL history to coordinate multiple defenses for multiple teams...at the same time.

He's expected to sign deals with the Broncos, 49ers, & Dolphins, immediately
6:33 PM · Jan 31, 2023

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:54 pm

Fuck Fangio. Fuck Grier. That's all I have to say about that

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:57 pm

One single senior bowl report from PFN claims Fangio signs with Miami - "soon". Smile
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:33 pm

Sorry to keep hammering this thread admittedly I’m a bit obsessed.

I want a great defense again!!! 😀

Anyway - senior bowl chatter picking up steam. Miami favorite to sign Fangio with SF a remote possibility. I hope they hire Wilkes and end the speculation
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:11 pm

Please do keep posting in this thread! I am fiending for Fangio news!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:12 pm

BTW - Saints' co-defensive coordinator Kris Richard, who interviewed for Miami's DC position, was just fired. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets added to the Phins' staff in some capacity, but it won't be DC IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:14 pm

Joe Schad
@schadjoe

Many people have tweeted at me and e-mailed to ask about Vic Fangio. As of tonight, here at the Senior Bowl, I can tell you he is still expected to become the next Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator. A different result would be a surprise to league sources here.
7:30 PM · Feb 1, 2023
from Mobile, AL

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:35 am

White1 manages to backdoor his way into the DC job after all, calling it now. I'll bet he's been rubbing his hands together (and not just because it's cold) and cackling with glee. I can hear him now, "Good, goooood, everything's going according to plan! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!" I should've suspected that clever, cunning cat was capable of multiple Machiavellian machinations and maneuvers! After all, he's spent years learning from the best...me Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:44 am

DolFan 316 wrote:White1 manages to backdoor his way into the DC job after all, calling it now. I'll bet he's been rubbing his hands together (and not just because it's cold) and cackling with glee. I can hear him now, "Good, goooood, everything's going according to plan! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!" I should've suspected that clever, cunning cat was capable of multiple Machiavellian machinations and maneuvers! After all, he's spent years learning from the best...me Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I think white has Fangio bound and gagged in his basement to try to make his diabolical plan work! Laughing Laughing Laughing

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:10 am

DolFan 316 wrote:White1 manages to backdoor his way into the DC job after all, calling it now. I'll bet he's been rubbing his hands together (and not just because it's cold) and cackling with glee. I can hear him now, "Good, goooood, everything's going according to plan! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!" I should've suspected that clever, cunning cat was capable of multiple Machiavellian machinations and maneuvers! After all, he's spent years learning from the best...me Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Laughing

I don't know why, but when I read that I immediately heard Palpatine saying "Gooood"....

Fangio Hired! (really, it's true!) - Page 2 Good-e10

We just have to hope, W1 doesn't have a hooded cloak. And Fangio bound and gagged in his basement!

Shocked

Laughing
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:31 am

Dammit you all foiled my plan!

No way I could keep this under wraps, with Fangio "missing" now for over 48 hours I'm attracting police attention. This is an all-too-easy electronic trail leading directly to me.

The Fins can have him. It's done. (I think?!)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/02/vic-fangio-has-decided-to-join-dolphins-staff-after-weighing-other-offers/

white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:38 am

Yes, it's done! cheers cheers sunny sunny

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

After speaking with multiple teams about their defensive coordinator position, Vic Fangio has decided to join the Dolphins as their defensive coordinator and officially will accept the position on the Miami staff after the Super Bowl.
11:03 AM · Feb 2, 2023

I don't know why this had to be dragged out so long, but at least we finally know it is happening!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:45 am

Okay. So, I'm going to be otherwise engaged for a few hours.

I'm looking forward to sharing my thoughts on the Fangio scheme, what it may mean for players on our roster, and other random thoughts in no particular order.

Quick one: McDaniel is a beast. After one year, he not only turned Tua into a league-leading talent at QB, he also recruited the most highly sought after defensive coordinator on the market. That's simply exceptional work, especially for a first-time head coach who also happens to be one of the youngest in the league.
white1
white1

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next