The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fangio Hired! (really, it's true!)

+4
CarsonChris
JEGnj
DolFan 316
white1
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Fangio Hired! (really, it's true!) - Page 3 Empty Re: Fangio Hired! (really, it's true!)

Post by finfanatic Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:21 pm

Great news! Sorry W1's plans were foiled and the Death Star was blown up... er... I mean... Cool

white1 wrote:Okay.  So, I'm going to be otherwise engaged for a few hours.  

I'm looking forward to sharing my thoughts on the Fangio scheme, what it may mean for players on our roster, and other random thoughts in no particular order.

Quick one:  McDaniel is a beast.  After one year, he not only turned Tua into a league-leading talent at QB, he also recruited the most highly sought after defensive coordinator on the market.  That's simply exceptional work, especially for a first-time head coach who also happens to be one of the youngest in the league.

Agreed, W1.

I am HOPEFUL McD will turn his talents to fixing the Oline.

Still, a lot is going to depend on what sort of free agent signings and re-signings the Phins have IMO. The LB corps is looking mighty slim right about now. Some the LBs Miami needs to sign are going to get big offers IMO if they hit free agency. Like AVG.

We shall see.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Fangio Hired! (really, it's true!) - Page 3 Empty Re: Fangio Hired! (really, it's true!)

Post by JMP Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:00 pm

white1 wrote:Okay.  So, I'm going to be otherwise engaged for a few hours.  

I'm looking forward to sharing my thoughts on the Fangio scheme, what it may mean for players on our roster, and other random thoughts in no particular order.

Quick one:  McDaniel is a beast.  After one year, he not only turned Tua into a league-leading talent at QB, he also recruited the most highly sought after defensive coordinator on the market.  That's simply exceptional work, especially for a first-time head coach who also happens to be one of the youngest in the league.

And we are looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

McDaniel has assembled the best Dolphins coaching staff on both offense and defense that we've had in AGES. It really is a testament to his reputation around the league. We're only one year in, but I truly believe we have finally found a legit head coach!

Now, if he can just fix special teams too...

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:17 pm

Now that Fangio is on board, it shouldn't be long till we hear that Ed Donatell is added to the staff.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:42 am

Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer

Sources: The Dolphins are doing a three-year deal with Vic Fangio that'll pay their new defensive coordinator more than $4.5 million per. Was always going to be competitive luring Fangio, and Miami was willing to compete.
7:37 AM · Feb 3, 2023

I think that means Fangio makes more than McDaniel...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:44 am

Um...well...welcome aboard, I guess?

Is it to late to take back the offer? Fangio just had one of the worst job auditions ever. How does a team have the 3rd most sacks in NFL history and then fail to get ONE sack against a QB with an already injured ankle going in who then injured it again??? And the run D didn't look too good either!

I'm definitely not a big Bible guy but what happened last night reminded me of Matthew 6:24. "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."

We better hope the second half last night was either a result of Fangio falling victim to this or that he didn't have nearly as much of an impact on the defensive game plan as we were led to believe. Only this team could make a splash hire only to see the "genius" coach fall flat on his face in his final game before joining Embarassed

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:06 am

I was thinking about this last night during the game.

A few thoughts:

- "Consultant" is not the same as defensive coordinator. Fangio, from what I read, had some input on defense but also did things like self-scout the Eagles offense.

- Building on that, game planning for the opponent, practicing and installing the game plan, and then calling plays during the game - that's all on the defensive staff. Not Fangio in a consultant role.

- Talent still matters. Fangio is not going to magically transform any defense into a powerhouse if they don't have enough talent on the field. The Eagles feasted against teams with bad QBs, bad offensive lines, or both. If they can't get pressure, their secondary gets exposed because they don't have much talent back there. This happened last night - zero sacks.
white1
white1

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:45 pm

Well, I read today that Fangio's consulting contract with the Eagles was up already, and then they hired him for an additional two weeks - not to work with the defense, but to work with the offense to help them figure out how to exploit the Chiefs' D. Kinda strange, if you ask me...not sure the Chiefs' D is good enough to warrant hiring a consultant to figure them out.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:15 am

yes, as it turns out in the media's never ending quest to get all the facts wrong (remember the old days when newspapers had fact-checkers and editors?), apparently Fangio never consulted for the Eagles defense.

While it was previously reported that Fangio spent the 2022 season as an Eagles consultant, the latest reports indicate that he was approached for the role but opted to travel and take time away from the game.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article272430808.html

he did help the Eagles in the 2 weeks leading up to the Super Bowl, but on offense.

According to multiple reports, Fangio signed a two-week contract to assist Philadelphia in its preparation for Super Bowl 57 against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Fangio, who has been a longtime defensive coordinator and was the Denver Broncos’ head coach from 2019 to 2021, was with the team in Phoenix as it prepared for the championship game. But rather than focus on his area of expertise in defense, he reportedly worked with the offensive staff and provided input on the Chiefs’ defense from his time in the AFC West.

i don't know, i could understand bringing in Fangio to help defense, but wouldn't have former Denver OC Pat Shurmur been the better option if you wanted tips on how to attack KC defense.  but then again, considering how bad Denver's offense was, maybe it wouldn't been much help.

so maybe the Eagles thought KC runs a similar defense to Fangio (3-4 blitz light) and he might have some insight into how to defeat it...  nope, KC DC Spagnuolo runs a blitz heavy 4-3 he learned from Philly old DC Jim Johnson.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:29 am

Now that the Super Bowl is over, as expected the Dolphins officially announced the Fangio hire today. Cool

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 and white1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:41 am

Geez it took long enough.

With the Eagles losing both coordinators and Fangio reportedly having family in Scranton, PA I was actually starting to wonder if he would reverse course. Again!

This is a home run hire.

Like I said in another thread, talent still matters. Weakness right now at CB and LB. But strong pieces to work with.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:13 pm

Now that this is Done let see Who fills the other openings on the defense coaching staff.

finskev

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:22 pm

finskev wrote:Now that this is Done let see Who fills the other openings on the defense coaching staff.

The Phins are interviewing Ed Donatell's son, Tom, currently an assistant secondary coach with the Chargers. I assume he'd take over the safeties coaching job in Miami if hired, replacing the fired Steve Gregory.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:48 pm

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:26 am

That's great to hear!

And I love this - at his press conference Fangio was asked about blitzing and he responded with: "As needed and when I want to, versus having to. You know, if you have to, that's not a great feeling." That's the anti-Boyer right there - and explains why the D sucked last season. Boyer didn't trust his own scheme, so he felt like he had to blitz on every damn down - and watched his D got shredded over and over. Those days are gone.

Fangio also said that his scheme will change from week to week, based on opponent. Again, a very anti-Boyer philosophy.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3