The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Draft thoughts not worth the virtual paper they're on

+6
CarsonChris
HalCHorn
finfanatic
DolFan 316
JMP
mercury22nathan
10 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Draft thoughts not worth the virtual paper they're on - Page 2 Empty Re: Draft thoughts not worth the virtual paper they're on

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:31 am

here's a Herald article linked via Yahoo (for those of you who have a hard time with their pay-wall) about some of the talent which might be of interest to Miami at this week's Senior Bowl practices:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ten-potential-dolphins-draft-targets-131852919.html

definitely some guys on the list i am interested in.

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Draft thoughts not worth the virtual paper they're on - Page 2 Empty Re: Draft thoughts not worth the virtual paper they're on

Post by JMP Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:39 am

mercury22nathan wrote:here's a Herald article linked via Yahoo (for those of you who have a hard time with their pay-wall) about some of the talent which might be of interest to Miami at this week's Senior Bowl practices:

Good read.

The more I dive into Fautanu, the more I think he's going to be a guard in the NFL. With that in mind, I wouldn't take him in round 1...no first round interior linemen for me. I do think he could be a good guard, though.

I didn't realize Braswell is only 225 pounds. I'll be curious to see what he weighs in at this week.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:40 am

mercury22nathan wrote:here's a Herald article linked via Yahoo (for those of you who have a hard time with their pay-wall) about some of the talent which might be of interest to Miami at this week's Senior Bowl practices:

From the article...

With Jaelan Phillips and Bradley Chubb rehabbing from significant lower-body injuries and Andrew Van Ginkel set to hit free agency, the Dolphins need to restock their depth at edge defender.

That's the understatement of the year for sure, and we've still got 11 months left Laughing Laughing Laughing

I don't want Braswell though, if none of the guys I want are available at 21 I would have no problem with Grier trading that pick for a proven player. Taking a WR or CB with the first pick under those circumstances would be a criminal offense as far as I'm concerned!

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:44 am

WR and CB are big needs and both positions should have good options available at 21. I would also be fine trading down and getting extra picks.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:45 am

JMP wrote:The more I dive into Fautanu, the more I think he's going to be a guard in the NFL.  With that in mind, I wouldn't take him in round 1...no first round interior linemen for me.  I do think he could be a good guard, though.

A college OT with short arms who will need to be moved to guard, seems like the Fins drafted a player like that recently, hmmm... scratch How'd that Eichenberg guy work out, anyway?

I didn't realize Braswell is only 225 pounds. I'll be curious to see what he weighs in at this week.

OMG NEITHER DID I!!! Well that clinches it then, I DEFINITELY don't want him NOW!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:56 am

DolFan 316 wrote:

OMG NEITHER DID I!!! Well that clinches it then, I DEFINITELY don't want him NOW!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

yes, that caught me off guard too - to the point i wondered if it was a typo.

and while i respect your draft opinions immensely DF, i'm not quite ready to yank Braswell from the interested list just yet.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:45 am

I think if Latu clears the medical questions, he won't be there at #21.

I'd say no to Braswell at #21 for sure.

Murphy is intriguing, and one of the draft gurus says he is the best DT in the draft!

Unless one of the big Edge rushers, or TE Bowers or QB Daniels falls I try to trade down while staying in the 1st round but picking up another 2nd or high 3rd rounder.

The other day on a Mock, Dallas Turner slid down to #21!!!

finfanatic
finfanatic

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:50 pm

finfanatic wrote:I think if Latu clears the medical questions, he won't be there at #21.

I'd say no to Braswell at #21 for sure.

Murphy is intriguing, and one of the draft gurus says he is the best DT in the draft!

Unless one of the big Edge rushers, or TE Bowers or QB Daniels falls I try to trade down while staying in the 1st round but picking up another 2nd or high 3rd rounder.

The other day on a Mock, Dallas Turner slid down to #21!!!

I kid you not, this morning I did a mock on PFN and got BROCK FREAKING BOWERS AT 21!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

And then I found out I couldn't save it to show here and started weeping.

Also this morning, just for fun I traded up to #8 to get Daniels, just to see if I could. Let's just say the price was...steep. I *hate* that PFN won't let you throw players into the mix Evil or Very Mad

I also think Murphy just might be the best DT in the class. Leonard Taylor seems to be well-regarded enough but...I'm just not getting the vibe that he's really all that. BTW Raekwon Davis was selected at 56 overall, and there's no WAY I'm ever taking that other big blob Texas DT at 55!

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:40 am

Right now I have Miami taking Amarius Mims OT in round one. This team needs to be built in the trenches if we have a shot at getting more physical.

CarsonChris

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:18 am

CarsonChris wrote:Right now I have Miami taking Amarius Mims OT in round one. This team needs to be built in the trenches if we have a shot at getting more physical.

He's got the body and the skillset, but he didn't play much in college and mostly played on the right side. He also missed a good chunk of the 2023 season after undergoing ankle surgery.

High upside for sure, but I worry that he's more of a raw project than a sure thing. But - with his size and skillset, he likely goes before 21 even with the concerns.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:40 am

I've been told from a person I know and trust that Mims is more of a project who will need developing. That's the worst kind of OT to shove onto the field WHEN Armstead is injured yet again before the 4th game next season.

I've also changed my philosophy a bit to say that the first round is where you draft players who score or stop the opponent from scoring. O-linemen do neither. I wouldn't even take a center in the first, and that's even MORE of a crying need than OT.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:39 am

some Senior Bowl stuff...

DL coach Austin Clark is representing Miami and filling in for Kenny Baker who just left for Texas.

One of the standouts from Clark’s group was Baylor’s Gabe Hall. The 6-6, 292-pound Hall made multiple plays in team drills, using his strength to get into the backfield and disrupt run plays. He also won multiple reps in one-on-ones.

In Hall’s last three seasons at Baylor, he recorded 11.5 sacks and 16.5 tackles for loss. In 2022 and 2023, he was named All-Big 12 honorable mention.

While his size — 6-6 and 292 pounds — quickly stands out, especially as he overpowered offensive linemen on Tuesday, Hall said he wants to show off his athleticism for teams, too.

Oregon’s Brandon Dorlus also had a strong first practice under Clark’s coaching and he has a local tie. Dorlus is a Fort Lauderdale native who played high school at Deerfield Beach. Dorlus was named to the All-Pac 12 team in each of the last three seasons and was a first-team selection in 2023 and 2021. Over a five-year career at Oregon, the 6-3 and 290-pound Dorlus had 12 sacks and 27 tackles for loss.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article284854606.html

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:56 pm

supposedly this Michigan WR Roman Wilson has be "uncoverable" at the Senior Bowl practices and may have moved himself into the 1st round. Lots of video clips:

https://sports.yahoo.com/michigan-wide-receiver-sets-social-000818963.html

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:03 pm

If they can trade down into the lower 1st and pick up another 2nd and a 3rd and maybe some picks next year, I would not mind seeing them go for Jackson Powers-Johnson in the 1st.

That dude may just work himself into getting picked BEFORE #21.

Some of the videos on him make him look like a 1st round talent for sure.

I don't see much difference between some of the low rated 1st rounders OTs and some of the other guys slated to go later.

Depending on what happens in free agency, I am saying RIGHT NOW it is 70/30 Grier takes a CB if he stays at #21.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:11 pm

LOL I am sure we will hear the familiar refrain "You can never have enough corners".

Yeah, especially when we keep drafting guys at the position that don't pan out.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:18 pm

white1 wrote:LOL I am sure we will hear the familiar refrain "You can never have enough corners".

Yeah, especially when we keep drafting guys at the position that don't pan out.  

Laughing
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:31 pm

finfanatic wrote:If they can trade down into the lower 1st and pick up  another 2nd and a 3rd and maybe some picks next year,

the approximate value between the 21st pick and the 32nd pick is only about a mid level 3rd.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

the problem is, none of those teams at the bottom of the 1st round have a mid-level third. Miami might be able to move back to 29-32 and pickup a low 3rd and low 5th. moving back to 27th (Arizona) and getting their 3rd rounder seems about fair value. if you look at recent drafts, some trade backs in the lower 1st round only netted an 4th round pick.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:48 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:supposedly this Michigan WR Roman Wilson has be "uncoverable" at the Senior Bowl practices and may have moved himself into the 1st round.  Lots of video clips:

https://sports.yahoo.com/michigan-wide-receiver-sets-social-000818963.html

After watching the first NFL broadcast from the Senior Bowl, Gabe Hall was by far the best defensive player - completely unblockable in 1-on-1s, and wreaked havoc in team drills, and Roman Wilson was by far the best offensive player with instant 5+ yard separation on every rep and insane route running and speed.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:41 pm

Right now I have Miami taking Amarius Mims OT in round one. This team needs to be built in the trenches if we have a shot at getting more physical.

I wouldn't be upset at all to see the Fins draft a tackle early. I'm thinking about the Laremy Tunsil / Branden Albert season where we kept the veteran at LT and played Tunsil at LG.

Great way to get a rookie on the field, and instant LT backup for injury - Armstead will certainly miss games like he does every season.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:49 pm

Unless we get lucky, I'm starting to think the top OTs will be long gone by 21.

I love Powers-Johnson, but hate the idea of drafting interior OL at 21. If we could trade down and get more picks, I'd be much more open to it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:25 am

No trade downs, no future picks. We need to start using the draft for home run picks. 

Our handling of the draft has left this team in a precarious situation. We don't have enough talent on this team that one draft will fix the problems especially with Grier picking.  Stick at one and two.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:41 am

CarsonChris wrote:No trade downs, no future picks. We need to start using the draft for home run picks. 

I don't know...I'm not sure there's a home run at 21, so I would be fine trading down to the end of the first and getting more picks. If we could get a 3rd, I think that would be huge in this draft.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:42 am

Two other players that impressed me at the Senior Bowl, day 1: WR Ryan Flournoy (Southeast Missouri State - looked like a very smooth route runner) and OT Javon Foster (Missouri - dominated at left tackle in team drills, especially as a run blocker).

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:23 am

PFF lead draft analyst, Sikkema:

I cannot say enough say impressive
@oregonfootball
OL Jackson Powers-Johnson has been. Dominating at center and guard. Wins consistently with power, but here he shows the patience and quickness, too.

Not sure he’s lost a 1-on-1 rep all week

https://x.com/TampaBayTre/status/1752725599607537919?s=20

and here's a clip of J P-J's reps:

https://x.com/Marcus_Mosher/status/1752797528930533733?s=20

i know imma get crushed for this, but right now, i'm not seeing all the hype. i'll have to go back and watch some of his in-game work, but looking at that clip that everyone is raving about, well... i see a guy giving up too much space while being pushed back. and i'm curious about his arm length and hand usage as he seems to be letting guys into his body too much. he does have short area quickness which is a plus. but again, these are just drills and i don't want to draw too much of a conclusion from this.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:42 am

I've only watched day 1 so far, but what I saw on TV, and it shows up in the 1-on-1 clips here as well, is that J P-J dominated the drill when he was at center.  But when lined up at guard, he got pushed back too much and struggled with getting his feet planted. That could be a function of his inexperience at guard.  I'll be interested to see how he progresses the rest of the way.

Two other linemen that looked pretty good to me, in addition to Javon Foster who I mentioned above, were LSU's Charles Turner (interior OL) and Christian Jones (OG/OT) from Texas.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next