The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Draft thoughts not worth the virtual paper they're on

+6
CarsonChris
HalCHorn
finfanatic
DolFan 316
JMP
mercury22nathan
10 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Draft thoughts not worth the virtual paper they're on - Page 4 Empty Re: Draft thoughts not worth the virtual paper they're on

Post by JMP Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:16 am

JMP wrote:I keep waiting to be really impressed with Jerry Rice's son, Brenden Rice - WR from USC.  But so far, he's been just OK at the Senior Bowl IMO.  He's physical and does a good job getting off the line, but he doesn't seem like a great route runner and seems to have trouble tracking the ball.  Just initial impressions...I haven't really taken a good look at him yet.

Rice definitely got better as the week went on - which is exactly what you want to see. He seemed much more comfortable and definitely looked the part.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Draft thoughts not worth the virtual paper they're on - Page 4 Empty Re: Draft thoughts not worth the virtual paper they're on

Post by JMP Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:18 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Am I to assume NOBODY here besides me watched the Senior Bowl? Shocked

I am going to finish watching the practice sessions before I watch the game. So far I am halfway through the first Day 3 session, so I'm almost done. Then I'll watch the Senior Bowl game, and after the the East-West Shrine game.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:34 pm

JMP wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:Am I to assume NOBODY here besides me watched the Senior Bowl? Shocked

I am going to finish watching the practice sessions before I watch the game. So far I am halfway through the first Day 3 session, so I'm almost done.  Then I'll watch the Senior Bowl game, and after the the East-West Shrine game.

Does anything from the links I posted match what you've seen? And if so, how much?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:39 pm

Looking at the stuff you posted, 316, here are some of my thoughts:

--I just don't get the love affair with Ladd McConkey. He's a good, solid player, but IMO you see guys like him drafted in the 5th-7th round every year - or not drafted at all. There is a place for receivers like him on every team, but I view him as a #4 or 5 receiver that contributes in specific packages and on STs. I may be way off-base, but that’s how I see it. I much prefer Roman Wilson and Luke McCaffrey in the smaller (meaning, sub-200 pounds) possession receiver category.
--CB Cam Hart looked very good. Never gives up on the play and has nice ball skills.
--WR Xavier Legette started slow but really came on toward the end. Very raw but upside is high. Not a first rounder IMO but could surprise if he gets on the right team.
-- Joe Milton looks like a great developmental QB who just might become something in time. I could see a team taking him as high as the 3rd just because of upside.
--WR Malachi Corley is a name to watch for the Phins. His combo of route-running, YAC, toughness and blocking ability seems like an ideal fit.
--OG Christian Haynes is strong as an ox. Excellent hands. Is he athletic enough for the Phins? I think Foster, Haynes and Christian Jones may be my 3 favorite non-centers from the OL groups. OT Patrick Paul gets a 316-patented “meh”. He wasn’t terrible but nothing stood out.
-- T’Vondre Sweat only has one pass rush move – bull straight ahead – but man, he pushed back every OL he faced. Unreal power.
--I expected more from Kam Kichens. He was certainly good, but I was looking for great.
--WR Ricky Pearsall looks like a real good route runner and has strong hands.
--This TE group was weak. Basically Theo Johnson and everyone else. Johnson is intriguing…great size and good hands.
-- Quinyon Mitchell, Darius Robinson and Braden Fiske were the top defenders IMO.

Overall, I think I was mostly in agreement with the sites you posted. They did mention a lot of players that I was not able to get a good look at on TV.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:09 pm

JMP wrote:-- Joe Milton looks like a great developmental QB who just might become something in time.  I could see a team taking him as high as the 3rd just because of upside.

This is the one thing I have to weigh in on. Even VOL fans know this dude's nowhere near an NFL QB. It took until his senior year for him to even be a college QB! There's a reason he started out at Michigan, transferred just before the NIL era, and couldn't start until Hooker got injured, then left. Hooker's not even going to be a decent NFL QB and this guy's worse than HIM. He's big, can throw the ball really hard and far, and that's it. Milton is essentially a less-hyped higher character Jamarcus Russell. IMO he's improved over the last 2 years but not THAT much. Plus he comes from the same gimmicky non-NFL offense the other recent Vol players have so there's that issue even if he really was somehow a hidden gem.

A part of me hopes the Jets/Pats/Bills actually waste a draft pick on this guy. Another part of me says Milton seems like too nice a person to wish that experience on. But *some* team will draft him way too high because of the eye test and will be sadly and badly disappointed.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:59 am

DF316 - Yeah, the Gators even managed to whip Tenn with Milton at QB! It was in the swamp of course, but still... Even Huepel's QB friendly offense just didn't seem to function as well with Milton as it did with Hooker.

Also, I saw your mock draft you posted and you HAVE NO CB DRAFTED BY THE PHINS!!!  What in Holy Guacamole is wrong with you!!! If Grier hears about this he may have a seizure or something!!!   Very Happy

Yeah, I have started to wonder if JPJ is THAT MUCH better than Van Pran. Or Limmer. Or even Nugent or Rahm? I am even starting to wonder... (gulp)...if Grier... might be... correct... (Dodges debris hurled in his direction!!)...in thinking taking a late round guy is the way to go.

I have been looking at Jacob Monk as OG late. And then Cam Jurgens brother Michael Jurgens OC from Wake Forest. Nathan Thomas OT from LA Ragin Cajuns.

Pretty Ricky Pearsall is going to make some team a phenomenal #2 WR IMO. Put him across from Hill and have Waddle ion the slot.... If you haven't seen it, go look at Pearsall's one handed grab.... He did the full Nike Jordan thing!!!

You Tube Pearsall Catch of the year

Its a real shame the Phins do not have a 3rd or 4th round pick in this draft. There are going to be some absolute steals available in that range IMO.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:03 am

Looking at this OL group as a whole, I really think rounds 2-4 are going to produce a lot of starting-caliber talent - especially at tackle and guard. No need to reach for OL in the first unless a "must have" player drops to 21. Yet another reason to trade down.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:04 am

A few other players that caught my eye: LSU DT Jordan Jefferson and interior OL Charles Turner, and Louisville WR Jamari Thrash.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:08 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:-- Joe Milton looks like a great developmental QB who just might become something in time.  I could see a team taking him as high as the 3rd just because of upside.

This is the one thing I have to weigh in on. Even VOL fans know this dude's nowhere near an NFL QB. It took until his senior year for him to even be a college QB! There's a reason he started out at Michigan, transferred just before the NIL era, and couldn't start until Hooker got injured, then left. Hooker's not even going to be a decent NFL QB and this guy's worse than HIM. He's big, can throw the ball really hard and far, and that's it. Milton is essentially a less-hyped higher character Jamarcus Russell. IMO he's improved over the last 2 years but not THAT much. Plus he comes from the same gimmicky non-NFL offense the other recent Vol players have so there's that issue even if he really was somehow a hidden gem.

A part of me hopes the Jets/Pats/Bills actually waste a draft pick on this guy. Another part of me says Milton seems like too nice a person to wish that experience on. But *some* team will draft him way too high because of the eye test and will be sadly and badly disappointed.

I'm talking about him as a developmental prospect. He's a guy that should be drafted in rounds 5-7 IMO. He has a ton of untapped potential, IMO, and certainly has tools to work with. He may never pan out, but he's got the skillset you look for in a developmental QB. But like I said, because he's a QB some team will drool over his physical ability and overdraft him. I actually think he'd be a good fit for the Bills, with the way Joe Brady ran the offense late in the year.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:09 am

finfanatic wrote:

Pretty Ricky Pearsall is going to make some team a phenomenal #2 WR IMO. Put him across from Hill and have Waddle ion the slot.... If you haven't seen it, go look at Pearsall's one handed grab.... He did the full Nike Jordan thing!!!

You Tube Pearsall Catch of the year

That Pearsall catch is one of the best grabs I've ever seen. My jaw was on the floor watching that play!

I do think he'd be a great fit for the Phins.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:06 pm

Yeah, but I imagine other teams are going to think that way too!

Sad

I've been looking at that WR Javon Baker from UCF, and Ainias Smith later in the draft. Smith is intriguing in that I think he might be able to fill a lot of spots on STs and the offense. I guess we can add Luke McCafferey to that list, but I suspect he will go a little higher. Another guy after the SR Bowl is GA WR Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint. He might merit another look too.

Even lower, I have been looking at Bub Means out of Pittsburgh and Zakhari Franklin out of UTSA.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:38 pm

Adding a few more defensive players to my "impressive" list from Senior Bowl practices:

Fresno State CB Carlton Johnson
Alabama DL Justin Eboigbe
Notre Dame LB JD Bertrand

Back on offense, Kansas State TE Ben Sinnott does a lot of things well. Nice player. I could see the Phins being interested.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:51 pm

I Didn't keep track of the Senior Bowl Stuff but I'm Glad Y'all did. Rice's Kid could be a Great Player if His Dad Taught Him how to Run Route's and get in Great Shape.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:39 pm

Just saw we only have 6 Picks in this Draft, Sucks we are in Salary Cap Hell and needing to get Younger & Cheaper and are short on Picks.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:49 am

finskev wrote:Just saw we only have 6 Picks in this Draft, Sucks we are in Salary Cap Hell and needing to get Younger & Cheaper and are short on Picks.

Yeah, that's why I think trading down from 21 is a good move - depending on who is there. I really, really think we need a 3rd rounder in this draft - I expect a lot of good players to be available there. It would be great if one of the QBs (Bo Nix??) slips to 21 and a team wants to move up for him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:25 am

In the many mock drafts I tend to run... it seems to be CBs Arnold & McKinstry, and TE Bowers dropping to #21 that brings the most loot in draft picks.

I just wonder if Grier WOULD trade down from Bowers? Probably.

Arnold or McKinstry? Probably not IMO.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:33 am

finfanatic wrote:In the many mock drafts I tend to run... it seems to be CBs Arnold & McKinstry, and TE Bowers dropping to #21 that brings the most loot in draft picks.

I just wonder if Grier WOULD trade down from Bowers? Probably.

Arnold or McKinstry? Probably not IMO.

If Bowers miraculously falls to 21, he's the Dolphins' pick. Not even a question. McDaniel would never let him get passed the Phins if he's there.

Arnold and McKinstry would depend on how Weaver uses his corners. Both look like strictly man coverage corners to me...not sure they'd be fits if we will play mostly zone. Two great prospects, though.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:41 pm

I'm telling you guys right here, right now, do not be surprised if T'Vondre Sweat is the pick at 55. Why do I say this?

1. Weaver is a D-line guy, who's already made it known he wants big physical players who can stop the run.

2. Grier selected Raekwon Davis with the 56th overall pick four years ago, so the precedent has been set.

3. I absolutely do not want Sweat to be the pick that high, therefore he will since this team never fails to take players I don't want high in the draft while by passing players I do want.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:04 am

DolFan 316 wrote:I'm telling you guys right here, right now, do not be surprised if T'Vondre Sweat is the pick at 55. Why do I say this?

1. Weaver is a D-line guy, who's already made it known he wants big physical players who can stop the run.

2. Grier selected Raekwon Davis with the 56th overall pick four years ago, so the precedent has been set.

3. I absolutely do not want Sweat to be the pick that high, therefore he will since this team never fails to take players I don't want high in the draft while by passing players I do want.

I think there's a very good chance Sweat is the pick at 55, whether or not we lose Wilkins. We have needed a huge behemoth space eater in the middle for years, and Sweat fits the bill. I would love that pick.

Look at the Ravens defense - they have a monster 350 pound NT in Michael Pierce that dominates the line of scrimmage and helps make that DL a wall. I could see Sweat playing that type of role for the Dolphins.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:50 am

Sweat at #55 would be a good pick IMO.

I just hope he has lost at least 2 pounds before the combine!!

Laughing

The more I look at him, the more this Gabe Hall seems to be what the Phins need too.

AT DT though...I am still thinking Byron Murphy is the way to go. He might be gone before #21 though.

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:08 pm

JMP wrote:I think there's a very good chance Sweat is the pick at 55, whether or not we lose Wilkins.  We have needed a huge behemoth space eater in the middle for years, and Sweat fits the bill.  I would love that pick.

I could've sworn they DID have one for years--Davis. That was his role. It certainly wasn't to provide any pass rush or play every down.

Look at the Ravens defense - they have a monster 350 pound NT in Michael Pierce that dominates the line of scrimmage and helps make that DL a wall.  I could see Sweat playing that type of role for the Dolphins.

Yes, the Ravens have had a good run D the last 4 seasons (but hardly the impenetrable wall of the '00 squad and even that wasn't sustainable) but the Fins haven't been too far behind, and in fact have been superior to the Bills, Chiefs and Eagles in this category.

https://stathead.com/tiny/KCdqE

I'm not even saying size and physicality on the D-line's not important. What I'm saying is one-dimensional big blob DTs in a passing league aren't worth taking in the second round. Davis was, and literally NOBODY ever talked about him one way or the other. 55 is where you draft DTs like Wilkins and Sieler, not Sweat. Remember that DT out of Georgia the Eagles spent a first on? He's hardly set the league on fire. Meanwhile, opposing teams simply threw the ball over his head to the point where they totally collapsed and their head coach almost got fired after starting 10-1 Shocked

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:11 pm

finfanatic wrote:Sweat at #55 would be a good pick IMO.

I just hope he has lost at least 2 pounds before the combine!!

Laughing

The more I look at him, the more this Gabe Hall seems to be what the Phins need too.

AT DT though...I am still thinking Byron Murphy is the way to go. He might be gone before #21 though.

I think you meant to say 20 pounds there, amirite? 2 pounds wouldn't even be noticed. Hell, a 20 pound loss might barely be noticeable on a guy Sweat's size!

There's a reason Murphy's projected to go about a round before Sweat: you won't have to take him off the field. As for Hall, isn't he barely 300? f people want Sweat for his size, wouldn't it follow that these same people would consider Hall too small to be a fit for a 3-4? scratch They're literally completely opposite types of players.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:52 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:I think there's a very good chance Sweat is the pick at 55, whether or not we lose Wilkins.  We have needed a huge behemoth space eater in the middle for years, and Sweat fits the bill.  I would love that pick.

I could've sworn they DID have one for years--Davis. That was his role. It certainly wasn't to provide any pass rush or play every down.

Look at the Ravens defense - they have a monster 350 pound NT in Michael Pierce that dominates the line of scrimmage and helps make that DL a wall.  I could see Sweat playing that type of role for the Dolphins.

Yes, the Ravens have had a good run D the last 4 seasons (but hardly the impenetrable wall of the '00 squad and even that wasn't sustainable) but the Fins haven't been too far behind, and in fact have been superior to the Bills, Chiefs and Eagles in this category.

https://stathead.com/tiny/KCdqE

I'm not even saying size and physicality on the D-line's not important. What I'm saying is one-dimensional big blob DTs in a passing league aren't worth taking in the second round. Davis was, and literally NOBODY ever talked about him one way or the other. 55 is where you draft DTs like Wilkins and Sieler, not Sweat. Remember that DT out of Georgia the Eagles spent a first on? He's hardly set the league on fire. Meanwhile, opposing teams simply threw the ball over his head to the point where they totally collapsed and their head coach almost got fired after starting 10-1 Shocked

Raekwon Davis is not and never was expected to be a "behemoth space-eater" and he's not a natural 3-4 NT. He's 6'7", but "only" listed at 325. I think the hope was that he'd become more of a playmaker than he did, but he's a solid player that IMO would be a better fit in a 4-3.

If Weaver is going to install anything like the Ravens defense, we'll need that space-eater. You're right that we don't need to draft one at 55, but Sweat is best in class and there's not many players like him at all this draft.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:59 pm

I'd still hold off, address one of the MANY other needs instead, and just get Fabian Lovett later on. But maybe that's just me.

I'm telling you right now, wherever Sweat lands he's going to have weight and conditioning issues. This guy couldn't play every down or even most downs if he or the team wanted him to.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:00 pm

Almost done with the Senior Bowl game.

Some players I haven't mentioned before that made a positive impression:

UNC LB Cedric Gray put on a show - made plays against the run and in the passing game. Could be a nice later-round sleeper.

Utah DB Cole Bishop, Georgia DB Tykee Smith and Louisville DB Jarvis Brownlee all had nice games.

TCU RB Emani Bailey got a ton of touches and did some good things.

On a negative note, the QBs were all horrible and made it really difficult to evaluate any of the offensive skill players.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next