The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC

+7
HalCHorn
DolFan 316
finskev
61finfan
Umix10
finfanatic
JMP
11 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC - Page 3 Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:05 am

JMP wrote:
mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:The Dolphins were one of the league's top teams all season - until the bitter end.  That's indisputable.  

except for week 4...7...9....or any other time they faced a team with a winning record.

And how did Fangio's defense do against good teams? scratch

Better than the offense did. They shut out the Chiefs in the second half of the Germany game, held the Cowboys under 20, held the mighty Allens to just 2 TDs and then after all that, held together with bailing wire and spit, played the Chiefs better in the postseason than the Allens did!

Yeah there was the Ravens Incident but hey, they're apparently already destined to win the title and led the league in point differential while spanking the Purdys. Just sayin'. I don't even count the first four games, that was the players adjusting to the system as as I already pointed out, they were a lot better after that until the biggest rash of injuries I have personally ever seen.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC - Page 3 Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:09 am

JMP wrote:
mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:The Dolphins were one of the league's top teams all season - until the bitter end.  That's indisputable.  

except for week 4...7...9....or any other time they faced a team with a winning record.

about as well as the whole TEAM did. so if we're gonna dump on Fangio, maybe we should be equally dumping on McD as well.

mercury22nathan

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:11 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:As for Van Ginkel, he was already a Dolphin and had success with the team.  Sure, he came back at Fangio's urging - and then put up very similar stats as he has throughout his career.  It's not like Fangio came in and AVG all of a sudden became a good player.

Even if you're right, Fangio was the only one who saw him as more than just a role player and is responsible for him still being around, since Grier was about to kick AVG to the curb. Can you imagine what a disaster THAT would've been under the current circumstances? Holy guacamole!!!  affraid

Grier is the one who re-signed AVG, when all is said and done. AVG started 11 games in 2020, 14 in 2021, and 11 in 2023. It's not like Fangio is the only coach that gave him playing time.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:12 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:
mercury22nathan wrote:

about as well as the whole TEAM did.  so if we're gonna dump on Fangio, maybe we should be equally dumping on McD as well.

Same goes to you! Razz

At least McD's offense was top 3 in most categories, and he's young and will continue to develop.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:15 am

DolFan 316 wrote:

Is that why you kept predicting a win in every game from the Titans loss all the way through the playoff exit? Razz

I suspect it may have something to do with me being a Dolphins fan and wanting (and hoping) my team would win.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:16 am

JMP wrote:...and will continue to develop.

yes, in that we can both hope!!

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:06 am

Spoiler alert: he wants Wink Martindale UNLESS Vrabel somehow becomes available.

Spoiler alert #2: Martindale is my first choice too. I'm not even thinking of anybody else at this point TBH.

DolFan 316

white1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:26 am

I will say that rash of injuries hurt. Worst to one side of the ball that I've ever seen for this team.

Fangio did some good things, and the performance by the D was not the problem against Buffalo or K.C. despite the injuries.

Special teams have to improve. We simply have to have a change on that side of the ball or you can forget any progress. Sanders did a fine job this year and our LS is solid but ST's ended up playing a huge part in costing us the Buffalo game. We kept the coach after fielding lousy ST's in 2022, changed some personnel, and had arguably lousier ST's in 2023. In by best mafioso voice, Crossman gotta go.

Fangio had his faults, and the Titans breakdown was really costly, but I don't think he did a terrible job. Just not the most inspired job. Still, he didn't cost us the last two games.

Improvement is needed on this team in all areas. The offense reminded me of the 1994 offense. It was actually first in the NFL in total yards all year, but certainly wasn't the league's best, and the reason was too many disastrous breakdowns (6 points at Indy? No points in the second half in the SD playoff game?) at crucial times.

McDaniel is a young coach so we shall see if he can make the needed adjustments to his approach. In comparing us to the Cowboys, we're in about the same boat, except that our coach is 20+ years younger and our QB is 6 years younger. We have reason for optimism in that regard but I have to see signs of acknowledgement. I really think McD needs to give up the play calling but the most crucial need is to send Crossman packing.

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:34 am

HalCHorn wrote:I will say that rash of injuries hurt.  Worst to one side of the ball that I've ever seen for this team.

I would even go as far as to say it was worse than the infamous rash of injuries to the '76 team. How about you?  

The offense reminded me of the 1994 offense.  It was actually first in the NFL in total yards all year, but certainly wasn't the league's best, and the reason was too many disastrous breakdowns (6 points at Indy?  No points in the second half in the SD playoff game?) at crucial times.

Funny you should mention the '94 offense, that's actually the last time the Fins led the league in total yards thanks to the running game rocketing all the ay up to average after languishing in the bottom 5 for years. The Kirby and Byars injuries are what killed that team's Super Bowl chances though IMO.

McDaniel is a young coach so we shall see if he can make the needed adjustments to his approach.  In comparing us to the Cowboys, we're in about the same boat, except that our coach is 20+ years younger and our QB is 6 years younger.  We have reason for optimism in that regard but I have to see signs of acknowledgement.  I really think McD needs to give up the play calling but the most crucial need is to send Crossman packing.

If he doesn't fire Crossman then it's time to start calling out McD and holding him accountable. Being a quirky, offbeat, likeable dudebro should only get a NFL head coach so far.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:01 pm

HalCHorn wrote:I will say that rash of injuries hurt.  Worst to one side of the ball that I've ever seen for this team.  

Fangio did some good things, and the performance by the D was not the problem against Buffalo or K.C. despite the injuries.

Special teams have to improve.  We simply have to have a change on that side of the ball or you can forget any progress.  Sanders did a fine job this year and our LS is solid but ST's ended up playing a huge part in costing us the Buffalo game.  We kept the coach after fielding lousy ST's in 2022, changed some personnel, and had arguably lousier ST's in 2023.  In by best mafioso voice, Crossman gotta go.

Fangio had his faults, and the Titans breakdown was really costly, but I don't think he did a terrible job.  Just not the most inspired job.  Still, he didn't cost us the last two games.    

Improvement is needed on this team in all areas.  The offense reminded me of the 1994 offense.  It was actually first in the NFL in total yards all year, but certainly wasn't the league's best, and the reason was too many disastrous breakdowns (6 points at Indy?  No points in the second half in the SD playoff game?) at crucial times.  

McDaniel is a young coach so we shall see if he can make the needed adjustments to his approach.  In comparing us to the Cowboys, we're in about the same boat, except that our coach is 20+ years younger and our QB is 6 years younger.  We have reason for optimism in that regard but I have to see signs of acknowledgement.  I really think McD needs to give up the play calling but the most crucial need is to send Crossman packing.

I would argue that the defense sucked at KC - over 400 total yards, 25 first downs, multiple plays of 20+ yards, couldn't get off the field, no pressure at all, couldn't cover Rice or Kelce...it was brutal IMO. Of course, the offense and STs were just as brutal. But I'm not giving the defense a pass, even with all the injuries. Very few people are giving the offense a pass for their injuries, so why should the defense get to use that excuse?

In any case, there are plenty of problems in all 3 phases that MUST be addressed in order for this team to take the next step. The good news for me is, I think we're very close. There's a lot to be excited about and I can't wait to see how this offseason plays out.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:30 pm

Okay... first, just because Fangio wanted out does not suddenly turn him into an idjit. He was and is one of the best DCs in the league. If he had stuck around and came back, I fully expect the Defense (assuming Grier doesn't foul up the Defensive personnel!!) would have been better, just because they have some players who at least understand the scheme.

Second, just because Fangio is leaving does not mean the Phins D is going in the crapper! Let's at least wait until they ACTUALLY HIRE SOMEONE for DC before the doom and gloom prognostications start dropping like autumn leaves falling in New England!!!

Third, predicting that a move will end badly for the Miami Dolphins is like betting that one of Joe Biden's policies is bad for America!! How often does something actually WORK OUT for the better for the Phins? The odds over the last two decades would seem to favor something bad happening! So let's not start calling anyone Nostradamus because he is predicting something bad for the Dolphins.

I don't know who the Phins will get for DC, but just cause Fangio left does not necessarily mean doom and despair will follow. Might not this new DC turn out to be the next Jerrod Mayo or Demeco Ryans. So good at their job, they get tapped for new HCing jobs?

Given the Phins history, probably not... but who knows?

One thing that I have been pondering and wanted to start another thread on...Fangio's problem on defense is sort of the same problem I see in McD's offense. It is scheme over everything else.

No matter that the Phins are playing the Eagles and AJ Brown is killing them. Let's leave Apple or Kohou on the best WR they have, because... SCHEME UBER ALLES!!!

It became even more apparent once Jalen Ramsey got back. Fangio would never bow to the greater good if it meant deforming his defensive scheme.

And now, we are starting to hear that Fangio might be the reason Cam SMith sat on the sidelines instead of getting some valuable teaching reps in games!!!

If that is the case, Fangio needs to be beaten half to death with wiffle ball bats!!

Talk about stupidity... What idiotic O Line coach was it under Dumbstedt that said he couldn't play 1st round pick Vernon Carey because it would not be "fair" to freaking journeyman RT John ST Clair!!!

Talk about not doing what is best for the Miami Dolphins franchise who is paying your freakin' salary??

If this the case and Cam Smith comes out next season and plays well...

Evil or Very Mad

And McD... even in games where the D is taking away Waddle and Hill, he keeps running the same routes and using the same old dipshiite behind the LOS passes and tosses that are getting the offense in deep holes!! There are ways to punish a Defense when you know they are leaning towards taking away some of your favorite plays, but McD never seems to make those adjustments.

Watch Kyle Shanahan when Purdy is laying an egg, he will make some adjustments at half time of even qtr to qtr to see if he can resurrect his 7th round QB.

Not McD. SCHEME UBER ALLES!!!

The whole things is sort of reminiscent of Adam Gase kinda-sorta IMO. Except Gase would actually cut players who failed at his scheme and bring in old players who could run the scheme like he wanted it run.

Let's just see what the Phins do this off season. Now, not only do we have to worry about Grier's bad free agency and drafting, we now have to worry about Grier and CO. picking another DC.

This was already shaping up to be a PIVOTAL OFFSEASON for the Miami Dolphins IMO, but now it could be a make or break off season for Grier and McD... and whoever they pick as DC too!
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:47 pm

Excellent post, FF!

I do think McD made a lot of offensive changes from year 1 to year 2, and I expect the same heading into year 3. BUT...maybe more importantly, he needs to also make changes and adjustments in-season and in-game as well. Exactly as you said, that's been his weakness against the good teams - inflexibility when it comes to adjustments to his scheme and gameplan.

As far as Fangio, I know we killed Cam Smith for being a bust all season - but whether he sucks or not, looking back on it he should have gotten some playing time over Apple and Kohou on the boundary when those guys were stinking up the field. Keeping him on the bench was inexcusable.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:03 pm

I Expect Fangio to make the Eagles a Top 10 Defense, They have Talent especially in the DL & DT Area, Carter will be a Beast this Year under Him. Now for the Fins just hoping it isn't Staley which means it probaly will be.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:23 pm

finskev wrote:I Expect Fangio to make the Eagles a Top 10 Defense, They have Talent especially in the DL & DT Area, Carter will be a Beast this Year under Him. Now for the Fins just hoping it isn't Staley which means it probaly will be.

The Eagles better fix their LB and DB positions if they expect to have a good defense. Honestly, that defense looks like a potential disaster to me - especially if Cox retires.

I don't see the Phins looking at Staley, but who knows at this point.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:02 pm

Spoiler alert: he wants Wink Martindale UNLESS Vrabel somehow becomes available.

Spoiler alert #2: Martindale is my first choice too. I'm not even thinking of anybody else at this point TBH.

Wink would be an excellent choice. And he has a bone to pick with the Ravens, our nemesis, so it's a good hire from that standpoint also.

I wouldn't be upset with Campanile, necessarily, but I do like the idea of a more veteran DC to pair with McDaniel.
white1
white1

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:00 pm

I'd want to explore exactly what happened with the Giants before looking at Martindale. The defense regressed in year 2, and he supposedly didn't get along with Daboll.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:02 pm

Hear about this for 2 weeks now. Wink and his 2 asst wanted to do it their way and Daboll is a yeller and screamer. They say Wink is a hell of a coach but he wants to do it his way even if mutiny.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:03 pm

WHOOOO!!! PREACH AWN, BRUTHA!!! MAH BRO FF OUT HERE DROPPING TRUTH BOMBS!!! cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:05 pm

JEGnj wrote:Hear about this for 2 weeks now. Wink and his 2 asst wanted to do it their way and Daboll is a yeller and screamer. They say Wink is a hell of a coach but he wants to do it his way even if mutiny.

UH oh...doesn't seem like a coach willing to bow and kowtow to the modern millennial spoiled brats players...

I am literally praying it's not Staley.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:23 pm

Since Belichick is having trouble getting interviewed to be a HC, he could always rebuild his stock as a defensive coordinator here. BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC - Page 3 1f600

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:30 pm

Dont like the names floating around.

I do like hiring from within. Campanellie crime family has already been here. He knows the players. Continuity and trust is what we need from the next DC. I think that he sold himself on Hard knocks. But the players respected him. He got the absolute best out of David Long.

He deserves a shot. I think if Hill leaves Sam Madison should take his place.
Umix10
Umix10

JMP, DolFan 316 and HalCHorn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:57 am

This video might be a bit hyperbolic...but then again it might not. No punches are pulled. NSFW language for those who need to care about that sort of thing.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:04 am

Fangio told it like it is. He said this team didn't have enough defensive depth to survive injury scenarios. Truth, Grier fucking sucks! That's why he was let go. He knows.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:07 am

CarsonChris wrote:Fangio told it like it is. He said this team didn't have enough defensive depth to survive injury scenarios. Truth, Grier fucking sucks! That's why he was let go. He knows.

NO team has the depth to withstand their top FOUR edge rushers going down for the season along with half the starting DBs and their best LB. Not that Grier doesn't deserve criticism for drafting the likes of Tindall and Cam Smith not to mention Iggy.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:40 am

DolFan 316 wrote:This video might be a bit hyperbolic...but then again it might not. No punches are pulled. NSFW language for those who need to care about that sort of thing.

As soon as I saw Barry Cunningham pop up on the screen, I turned it off. That dude is clueless.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next