The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC

+7
HalCHorn
DolFan 316
finskev
61finfan
Umix10
finfanatic
JMP
11 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC - Page 4 Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:44 am

JMP wrote:As soon as I saw Barry Cunningham pop up on the screen, I turned it off.  That dude is clueless.  

I'm hot and cold on him myself, but he makes some good points this time, honest. For one thing he says something you and I could never get away with--that the only reason Grier hasn't been fired is his race. Yes, that was a thing he said in the video. Shocked Shocked Shocked

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC - Page 4 Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:53 am

Here's a conspiracy theory for you. Since it's only the DBs who seem to be speaking out against Fangio (and their dads) I suspect Renaldo Hill led a DB revolt to force Fangio out so HE could get the DC job.

Seriously, am I the only one who finds it strange that none of the front 7 players have said anything negative about Fangio, just the DBs? scratch

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:54 am

I don't think Grier kept his job because of his race - I think he kept it because this team has been trash for decades, but he has put a roster together that has now had 4 consecutive winning seasons and back-to-back playoff appearances - both for the first time in 20+ years. Obviously he hasn't gotten the team to the next level yet, but that is still a major accomplishment for this sorry-ass team. Now, next season if his team falls short again...I think he's on the hot seat at the very least.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:56 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Here's a conspiracy theory for you. Since it's only the DBs who seem to be speaking out against Fangio (and their dads) I suspect Renaldo Hill led a DB revolt to force Fangio out so HE could get the DC job.

Seriously, am I the only one who finds it strange that none of the front 7 players have said anything negative about Fangio, just the DBs? scratch

I honestly haven't been following the story of players speaking out against Fangio, so can't really comment on that. I also thought Hill was a Fangio guy? But who knows? It's an interesting idea for sure.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:24 am

Just some thoughts about some of the candidate names out there.

Martindale.  This would basically be like Fangio 2.0 – not in terms of scheme, but in terms off a gruff, hard-nosed veteran coach.  And I think that was part of the problem…  McDaniel as a young “players” coach needs a guy who is gonna work with him, not some crusty, hard ass who is gonna come and do it his way no matter what.  Guys likes Fangio and Martindale will only succeed under equally tough veteran head coaches who have the chops to keep them in line.

Campanile.  Great, he gave one motivational speech on Hard Knocks and now he’s the answer.  I don’t know.  Motivation is one thing, but can he scheme a defense to stop Josh Allen from running or maybe cover a TE.  Cause you know, those are typically LBer responsibilities and guess what – those are the things Miami’s LBers couldn’t do and guess who the guy coaching them was.  But Miami had some great OLB pass rushers.  Yea, I know, but that was Ryan Slowik, the outside LBers coach.  So let’s not pretend Campanile was some great coach – his position was one of, if not the, worst on the defense.

Staley.  No, just no.  But the Rams defense.  Sure, if Staley is bringing Aaron Donald (of 3 years ago) and the rest of the front 7 with him (Phins already have Ramsey on the back end).  I strongly suspect Staley would be much more likely to bring a version of what we saw in San Die…Angelos.  But I’m not gonna completely shut the door on Staley.  I bet he might make an adequate defensive quality control assistant.  “Brandon, can you transfer these videos to the big projector in the defensive meeting room?”

What McDaniel needs is his version of DeMarco Ryan, Raheem Morris or even what was Robert Saleh.  And let’s be honest, I would never advocate for hiring someone who less qualified, but if all things are otherwise equal, you might as well hire a minority.  No, not for some moral implication, but because if he ends up being any good and gets hired as a HC, you get two 3rd round picks for free just like the Rams just did:

https://sports.yahoo.com/rams-receive-two-3rd-round-222655619.html

that's just good strategy.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:28 am

mercury22nathan wrote:Campanile.  Great, he gave one motivational speech on Hard Knocks and now he’s the answer.  I don’t know.  Motivation is one thing, but can he scheme a defense to stop Josh Allen from running or maybe cover a TE.  Cause you know, those are typically LBer responsibilities and guess what – those are the things Miami’s LBers couldn’t do and guess who the guy coaching them was.  But Miami had some great OLB pass rushers.  Yea, I know, but that was Ryan Slowik, the outside LBers coach.  So let’s not pretend Campanile was some great coach – his position was one of, if not the, worst on the defense.

I'll put it this way: I'm SO glad you said this instead of me Cool

What McDaniel needs is his version of DeMarco Ryan, Raheem Morris or even what was Robert Saleh.  And let’s be honest, I would never advocate for hiring someone who less qualified, but if all things are otherwise equal, you might as well hire a minority.  No, not for some moral implication, but because if he ends up being any good and gets hired as a HC, you get two 3rd round picks for free just like the Rams just did:

https://sports.yahoo.com/rams-receive-two-3rd-round-222655619.html

that's just good strategy.

Not to mention make that ridiculous Flores lawsuit finally go away once and for all.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:42 am

Merc candidate list and thoughts is exactly why losing Fangio is such a blow. Unless we luck into someone like Vrabel, we are taking a big step down on that side of the ball.
white1
white1

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:44 am

Shefter is reporting that Staley slated to meet with Packers Rams and Dolphins.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:45 am

I'd also give Leslie Frazier a look for sure.

But if not Campanile, I'm starting to really get on the Ejiro Evero bandwagon if he doesn't get a HC job.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:48 am

white1 wrote:Merc candidate list and thoughts is exactly why losing Fangio is such a blow. Unless we luck into someone like Vrabel, we are taking a big step down on that side of the ball.

Or, we take a big step up depending on who we hire. The new DC doesn't have to be a big name in order to be successful. We had the big name with Fangio, and it didn't bring us a championship-caliber defense by any stretch.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:39 pm

I actually think Staley might be a good DC in Miami. I would prefer some new undiscovered phenom, but...

Whoever they get, for them to be successful, they will need...
a - the injured pass rushers to come back at full speed;
b - Grier and Co somehow ADD a really good backup Pass rusher to the rotation;
c - also add at least one good DT to the mix to adequately replace and maybe improve upon Davis;
d - Wilkins is kept;
e - and the Phins somehow get another CB to play opposite Ramsey. Is this Cam Smith? I'm gonna say probably not, but what about Bonner??

Just imagine Staley as the DC and the Phins somehow, magically assemble a terrific Oline and they are able to run and pass at will even against good teams. How good could a defense that has that sort of support from their Offense be??

As far as the video... if the team is a dumpster fire, it is the same sort of dumpster fire we see every year from the Dolphins. They typically swoon in December and last year they let Boyer go and brought in Fangio.

So, if he is saying this is the typical Dolphins December Doldrums dumpster fire, then I agree with him.

If he is saying this is some sort of new atypical December dumpster fire for the Dolphins, I disagree.

I do agree though that keeping Grier and letting him do the same thing he has been doing and getting the same sort of results seems counter-productive, but... THAT IS what passes for Normal for the Miami Dolphins, sad to say.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:07 pm

If we could get the Staley that was DC for the Rams...WOW. That's a hell yeah from me.

But if we instead get the Staley that was completely in over his head as a HC for the Chargers??? pale Hell no!

I've read a lot of bad things about the guy as a head coach, but I've also read a lot of amazing things about him as a DC. So...I just don't know what to think of him. He's definitely on the "must interview" list, but I just don't know. I guess just call me neutral on Staley.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:46 pm

a couple names to think about...

Anthony Weaver and Zachary Orr

with only 2 HC openings left, the word is they are waiting on the outcome of this weekend's games and maybe the super bowl depending on how things play out. obviously both Detroit OC Ben Johnson and Baltimore DC Mike MacDonald are viable candidates for those jobs.

if MacDonald gets a HC job, Baltimore may look to Weaver as the next in line DC and even if MacDonald doesn't get hired away, Baltimore has tagged Weaver (currently DL coach) with an Assistant HC title to keep him in-house when MacDonald eventually gets a HC chance. Weaver has a history keeping the Raven's dline among the top units and has coordinator experience in Houston as well as being responsible for the development of JJ Watt and J Clowney (in Houston and now again in Baltimore).

Orr doesn't have DC on his resume, but has a strong history of developing LBers in Baltimore (Judon and Suggs) as well as a stint in Jacksonville (the other Josh Allen). He is apparently also responsible for getting both Patrick Queen and Roquan Smith's head on straight and making them productive players. Oh, and just go put on tape of what the Raven's LBers did against Miami how disciplined they were. His resume, while not extensively long, stacks up just as well to many first time DCs and other possible candidate names being thrown around.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:49 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:As soon as I saw Barry Cunningham pop up on the screen, I turned it off.  That dude is clueless.  

I'm hot and cold on him myself, but he makes some good points this time, honest. For one thing he says something you and I could never get away with--that the only reason Grier hasn't been fired is his race. Yes, that was a thing he said in the video. Shocked Shocked Shocked

This dude is hilarious. I used to watch him. He made a video about click bait. The narrative about Tua and that everyone talks bad about tua because everybody reads it.

Then all of a sudden he started doing it for likes. Fuck that dude.....
Umix10
Umix10

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:55 pm

As far as the coaching searches go.....IMHO. You need a younger hungrier guy proving his bones or a smart fired HC that's called games. Otherwise you'll get a one and done guy.

The second problem is this roster will be turned over. We would be lucky if we retain 40% of the current roster. Even with restructuring for next season, the roster the following season will have the same effect. Not an ideal situation for any coordinator on any level. Don't know of any coordinator who can be successful with a high rate of turnover unless you hit on drafts every single year for the next 4 years.

Which is why I think Campanellie is probably the best choice. He won't go anywhere, for sure not next year and I can almost say for sure not the year after or the year after that. He comes off as a loyal dude. A smart one at that.
Umix10
Umix10

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:20 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:about all of this Fangio is headed to Philly cause his family is there...  some folks are starting to put two and two together and say that's just a lie for him to get out of Miami.

supposedly Fangio saw Miami as a one shot this year and doesn't think the team (with McD's gadget offense, Tua's limitations and poor talent acquisition) is going anywhere anytime soon.

so where is he headed?  Chargers to reunite with Harbaugh.

this isn't me saying it, but the rumors are out there.  something to keep an eye on.

Is it just me or does anybody else think its odd that Philly hasn’t yet announced Fangio’s signing. He was supposedly on his way to sign yesterday morning. Remember, there was some similar snafu last year with him being reported as Miami’s DC, but not signing until later (while we all collectively held our breathe). It was later explained as he was waiting for his Eagles’ consulting contract to expire, but there was some conjecture that he was actually bleeding every second of the clock in hopes that something would happen with him becoming the Philly DC. Miami ponied up and made him the highest paid coordinator and voila, he was Miami’s DC (for a year).

Adding to the mystery. Philly has kept on chugging away with the defensive interviews.

The Eagles are set to interview former Packers defensive coordinator Joe Barry for a position, Dianna Russini of The Athletic reported.

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/former-packers-dc-reportedly-interviewing-for-job-with-eagles/561327/

Barry was the Packers DC for 3 years and has been the DC in both Washington and Detroit.

Former Eagles linebacker and assistant coach Mike Caldwell, who just interviewed for the defensive coordinator job just a few days ago, is interviewing with the Eagles again.

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/mike-caldwell-interviewing-with-eagles-again-but-for-a-different-job/561338/

The reported unconfirmed idea is that these guys would be interviewing for positions on Fangio’s staff. But wouldn’t it make sense that Fangio would want to be a part of those interviews? Or if he gave the Eagles a list and said go hire these guys, wouldn’t they want to first get Fangio under contract? And Barry, who has been a DC at 3 places and has received consideration as a DC in this current cycle all of sudden is happy to be a staff guy for someone he’s never worked with? Or are these guys maybe a fall back options cause Philly knows Fangio is not a done deal. And why is Fangio not a done deal just yet…

Maybe, just maybe, when he was on that plane to Philly he got a text with a very, very sizable offer from his buddy Jim Harbaugh out in LA that made him re-think just how important it was to be near his family in Pennsylvania.

Now, all this might just be negotiating – or might just be BS. Or maybe Fangio is signing the contract as I hit the submit button. But…well…interesting…

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:27 pm

Umix10 wrote:As far as the coaching searches go.....IMHO.  You need a younger hungrier guy proving his bones

agreed.

Umix10 wrote:The second problem is this roster will be turned over.  We would be lucky if we retain 40% of the current roster. Even with restructuring for next season, the roster the following season will have the same effect.  Not an ideal situation for any coordinator on any level.  Don't know of any coordinator who can be successful with a high rate of turnover unless you hit on drafts every single year for the next 4 years.

and whose fault is that? cough, cough, injured FA-loving Grier? or maybe that just the modern NFL. and as long as the 60% turning over are the guys who suck and we keep the great core of 40%, i think that's a good thing. 40% of 53 guys is 21 - plenty room to keep the good/great starters and let the crummy ones go and maybe even find some better backups. just thinking aloud.

Umix10 wrote:Which is why I think Campanellie is probably the best choice.  He won't go anywhere, for sure not next year and I can almost say for sure not the year after or the year after that.  He comes off as a loyal dude.  A smart one at that.

i'd prefer they pick the guy they think will do the best job in 24 (and hopefully into the future) not necessarily just pick the guy who will stick around. and if he leaves because he got a HC job - that meant the Phins defense was really good. win win.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:56 pm

From Twitter:

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
The #Dolphins requested an interview with #Bills LBs coach Bobby Babich for their defensive coordinator job, per source.

That's three for Babich, who has emerged as a top young candidate.

A good, young candidate but would be first time DC and unproven.

My guess - it's either Staley or Wink. Grier and McDaniel are in win now mode, they cannot afford to have a first time DC who flops ala Boyer last year.
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:06 pm

I really like Bobby Babich emerging as a candidate. He is very well respected, and comes from a defense that kicks our ass every. damn. time. I need to dig a bit more, but he seems like a really strong option.

So far, we are interviewing Babich and Staley. Off to a good start IMO.

I don't think Wink will be an option...I just don't view him as a fit with McD.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:08 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:
mercury22nathan wrote:about all of this Fangio is headed to Philly cause his family is there...  some folks are starting to put two and two together and say that's just a lie for him to get out of Miami.

supposedly Fangio saw Miami as a one shot this year and doesn't think the team (with McD's gadget offense, Tua's limitations and poor talent acquisition) is going anywhere anytime soon.

so where is he headed?  Chargers to reunite with Harbaugh.

this isn't me saying it, but the rumors are out there.  something to keep an eye on.

Is it just me or does anybody else think its odd that Philly hasn’t yet announced Fangio’s signing.  He was supposedly on his way to sign yesterday morning.  Remember, there was some similar snafu last year with him being reported as Miami’s DC, but not signing until later (while we all collectively held our breathe).  It was later explained as he was waiting for his Eagles’ consulting contract to expire, but there was some conjecture that he was actually bleeding every second of the clock in hopes that something would happen with him becoming the Philly DC.  Miami ponied up and made him the highest paid coordinator and voila, he was Miami’s DC (for a year).

Adding to the mystery.  Philly has kept on chugging away with the defensive interviews.

The Eagles are set to interview former Packers defensive coordinator Joe Barry for a position, Dianna Russini of The Athletic reported.

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/former-packers-dc-reportedly-interviewing-for-job-with-eagles/561327/

Barry was the Packers DC for 3 years and has been the DC in both Washington and Detroit.

Former Eagles linebacker and assistant coach Mike Caldwell, who just interviewed for the defensive coordinator job just a few days ago, is interviewing with the Eagles again.

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/mike-caldwell-interviewing-with-eagles-again-but-for-a-different-job/561338/

The reported unconfirmed idea is that these guys would be interviewing for positions on Fangio’s staff.  But wouldn’t it make sense that Fangio would want to be a part of those interviews?  Or if he gave the Eagles a list and said go hire these guys, wouldn’t they want to first get Fangio under contract?  And Barry, who has been a DC at 3 places and has received consideration as a DC in this current cycle all of sudden is happy to be a staff guy for someone he’s never worked with?   Or are these guys maybe a fall back options cause Philly knows Fangio is not a done deal.  And why is Fangio not a done deal just yet…

Maybe, just maybe, when he was on that plane to Philly he got a text with a very, very sizable offer from his buddy Jim Harbaugh out in LA that made him re-think just how important it was to be near his family in Pennsylvania.

Now, all this might just be negotiating – or might just be BS.  Or maybe Fangio is signing the contract as I hit the submit button.  But…well…interesting…

Good stuff, merc.

I really doubt Fangio is heading to LA. I suspect he's just a flake and is going to drag this out as long as he can and ultimately sign with the Eagles - just like he did with us.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:51 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:......  and if he leaves because he got a HC job - that meant the Phins defense was really good.  win win.

Fangio's defense was good before he got a HC gig.......hmmmmmmm!
Umix10
Umix10

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:56 pm

I thought for some time race has a little to do with Grier. I think Ross loves people thinking he isn't part of the old WHITEY crowd. Grier hasn't done an absolute horrible job but he hasn't done enough to earn a constant free pass for his mistakes. Yes I think Fangio did a Parcells. His heart wasn't in the Miami job but he took the paycheck and ran.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:42 pm

JEGnj wrote:I..... Yes I think Fangio did a Parcells. His heart wasn't in the Miami job but he took the paycheck and ran.

I actually think that Fangio left because he is the polar opposite of McD. He's quiet, reserved, little words. McD is the opposite. I am sure there were scheme conflicts as well.
Umix10
Umix10

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:47 pm

Shula's loyalty doomed us. Gary Stevens and Tom Olivadotti were vanilla and predictable. Now it's a revolving door for the next big thing jumping teams and raiding the lower coaches. We just need to get it right.
We did not end on a high note and feels like we are in collapse mode instead of next step. We need some good Dolphin's news.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:27 pm

Special teams coach from Panthers told he won’t return today. Well respected and voted 2 overall in player poll. Will Mike go get him?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next