The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC

+7
HalCHorn
DolFan 316
finskev
61finfan
Umix10
finfanatic
JMP
11 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC - Page 6 Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC

Post by JMP Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:51 pm

Something to watch: if current Ravens DC Mike Macdonald gets the Seahawks head coaching job, the Ravens would probably promote Weaver to DC.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC - Page 6 Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:55 pm

JMP wrote:Something to watch: if current Ravens DC Mike Macdonald gets the Seahawks head coaching job, the Ravens would probably promote Weaver to DC.

according to Shefter, MacDonald to Seattle is a done deal.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:09 pm

Read on Twitter someone named Smith could actually jump Weaver for DC.
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:33 pm

I think it is smart business to hire a young, rising-star type minority for DC. That way, if he does eventually leave the Dolphins for a head coaching job, we get a draft pick in return. Weaver is the only current candidate that fits the bill, and he's already getting HC interviews. Of course, I'd prefer not to think about race at all in this discussion, but that's the way the league is set up.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:00 am

If the Phins want Weaver, they'd better hurry. The Ravens have already lost 2 defensive coaches (Macdonald and Dennard) and are on the verge of losing a third (Orr). There's a good chance they'll promote Weaver if he's still with the team.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:15 am

JMP wrote:If the Phins want Weaver, they'd better hurry.  The Ravens have already lost 2 defensive coaches (Macdonald and Dennard) and are on the verge of losing a third (Orr).  There's a good chance they'll promote Weaver if he's still with the team.  

agreed.  Weaver and Orr were my top 2...but i don't need to keep reminding you all of that.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:50 am

Add a familiar name to the list:

The Phins are interviewing Chris Shula (Don's grandson) for the DC job. Shula is the pass rush coordinator/LB coach for the Rams.

JMP
Admin

finfanatic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:56 am

here's an article kind of summarizing some of what went wrong between Miami and Fangio. i think there is fault to be on both sides. in the end, this appears to have been a forced marriage that didn't work - and maybe shouldn't have happened in the first place.

https://sports.yahoo.com/charges-counter-charges-divorce-between-150806092.html

mercury22nathan

JMP, DolFan 316 and finfanatic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:07 pm

Dan Quinn got the Commanders head coaching job, so Weaver is still a possibility for Miami.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:47 pm

Yikes!

I knew there was SOMETHING up with the defense, but never guessed there was this much poo-poo going on.

The whole Cam Smith thing sort of strikes me as odd too. I mean I have seen him play in college and he was a very good cover guy. There were rumors and rumblings about his work ethic and he often freestyled instead of sticking to the defense, but I did not think for a minute that he would so terrible he couldn't get on the field when the likes of ELi Apple went down with an injury!!

I guess we'll see this season one way or the other.

It sure does seem to be taking a long time to pick a DC? A friend of mine seems to think his means the Phins really want someone on the San Fran staff or the Chiefs staff?

I think it probably means the SOMEBODY is unable to make up their minds, but...

We shall see.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:54 pm

finfanatic wrote:Yikes!

I knew there was SOMETHING up with the defense, but never guessed there was this much poo-poo going on.

Reading that bit made me even MORE depressed than I already was! And that's REALLY saying something Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I have long wondered how ANY coach or non-woke person in any sort of authority/managerial role can get anybody under age 40 to do anything these days. And I still am.

It does explain a lot when it comes to this team, though, and that's all I have to say about that.

BTW I could've sworn LA was a bit of a party place, and that didn't stop the Rams from winning a title. Just sayin'.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:56 pm

A friend of mine seems to think his means the Phins really want someone on the San Fran staff or the Chiefs staff?

Great thought. 49ers highly likely, given McDaniel's time there. Won't be their DC obviously, but someone on the staff ready to take the next step?

I'd go with Frazier. I still think they need a veteran DC with experience to balance out McDaniel.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:58 pm

white1 wrote:I'd go with Frazier. I still think they need a veteran DC with experience to balance out McDaniel.

If the players thought Fangio was out of touch, they'll openly revolt against a DC who's just one year younger.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/FrazLe0.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/FangVi0.htm

I now strongly suspect McDaniel's going out of his way to bring in some dudebro who becomes besties with the players, and maybe even parties with them.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:17 pm

W1 - I asked my fiend who that was on the San Fran staff or Chiefs staff and he admitted he didn't know. I went and looked and I didn't see anyone, but who knows? Maybe one of the D-line or DBacks coaches is someone McD could work with?

I am sort of back onto Staley. Frazier would probably work out well early on, but he tends to wear out his welcome it seems.

After the whole Fangio debacle, it seems like a younger, hip-per DC is what is needed. I ain't real sure how hip Staley is but he is younger than Frazier.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:59 pm

Zach Orr promoted to DC by the Ravens, so Weaver still in play.

And...

Evero may want out of Carolina.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:38 pm

I guess Fangio had similar issues in Denver too...interesting. (click below to open the full post...for some reason it isn't all displaying when I paste it.)

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:18 pm

absolutely, Fangio has not been loved by players everywhere he's been, but over the long haul, his defense have proven to be quite effective. whether that continues to be true, i guess we'll see - just not in Miami. and that is ok, if he didn't want to be in Miami and Miami didn't want him anymore - then so be it. whose next?

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:19 pm

JMP wrote:Zach Orr promoted to DC by the Ravens, so Weaver still in play.

damn, i just know Orr is gonna be good. but glad to hear Weaver is still in consideration. i guess Miami couldn't have them both, could they?

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:57 pm

JMP wrote:Add a familiar name to the list:

The Phins are interviewing Chris Shula (Don's grandson) for the DC job.  Shula is the pass rush coordinator/LB coach for the Rams.

Never mind...Shula was promoted to Rams' DC.

I think that likely puts Staley at the head of the Dolphins' list, if I had to guess.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:51 am

finfanatic wrote:A friend of mine seems to think his means the Phins really want someone on the San Fran staff or the Chiefs staff?

i've heard the similar idea, but i've also heard they are content with an in-house candidate and are going through the process of outside interviews just in case someone comes along and blows them away.

a name i was told to keep an eye on is Daniel Bullocks. he's currently the DB coach with SF and crossed paths with McDaniel while he was there. Bullocks came to SF as an asst DB coach and worked closely with Jeff Hafley who went on to become the HC at Boston College but was recently hired as the Packers DC. Bullocks was promoted to safeties coach and eventually the overall DB coach. But before SF, Bullocks was an asst DB coach with Jacksonville where he helped a rookie 1st rounder become a starter for all 16 games and win many rookie accolades. that rookie, yep, Jalen Ramsey.

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:48 am

Well, leave it to Merc to know who my friend was guessing about?

Let's just hope whoever it is turns out to be fantastic!
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:13 am

I do like the fact that the Phins are casting a wide net and looking at lots of different candidates. It's probably also a good sign that some of the guys they were looking at got promoted by their current teams...seems we are at least on the right track as far as recognizing talent.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:16 am

Omar posted an article and it's a great thought: Go and get Vrabel.

He did not get a head coach gig, so running a team defense with an offensive head coach is a good fit he will have full latitude to install his system and call the plays on defense. Plus, he brings a physical brand of football with him that would benefit the entire squad.

I love the idea, but no reports to date we have even talked to him...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:22 am

white1 wrote:Omar posted an article and it's a great thought:  Go and get Vrabel.

He did not get a head coach gig, so running a team defense with an offensive head coach is a good fit he will have full latitude to install his system and call the plays on defense.  Plus, he brings a physical brand of football with him that would benefit the entire squad.  

I love the idea, but no reports to date we have even talked to him...

I'm not a Vrabel fan at all. His teams play tough and physical, but they're not particularly good. He had the one great year with the Titans, but aside from that his defenses there were middle of the pack or worse every season. And in his one year as a DC (with the Texans in 2017), his defense allowed, by a wide margin, the most points in the NFL. He's got a name, but I'm not convinced he's all that good of a coach.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:08 am

According to NFL Network’s Cameron Wolfe, the Philadelphia Eagles have put in a request to interview Dolphins safeties coach Joe Kasper for the same role.

Kasper joined Miami’s coaching staff in 2023 after spending the prior to seasons with the Eagles as defensive quality control coach. If he were to make this lateral move, which the Dolphins would have to approve, he’d be reuniting with Fangio in Philadelphia.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/02/eagles-request-to-interview-dolphins-safeties-coach-joe-kasper/

interesting. the Dolphins don't have to let him go, i wonder if they will. clearly he was brought to Miami as a Fangio guy. and its little coincidence that one of the players being most vocal about being unhappy with Fangio is Jevon Holland - the safety this guy would've been coaching. and honestly, injury aside, i kind of think Holland took a step back this year. maybe this guys coaching and his ties to Fangio had something to do with it.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next