The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATE: McDaniel hired! [Thread for new head coach news and rumors]

+5
finfanatic
mercury22nathan
DolFan 316
white1
JMP
9 posters

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down

UPDATE: McDaniel hired!  [Thread for new head coach news and rumors] - Page 11 Empty Re: UPDATE: McDaniel hired! [Thread for new head coach news and rumors]

Post by white1 Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:20 am

I believe Mostert is a FA - keep an eye on him for sure.

Yeah, he'd be a good add. Won't break the bank. Maybe something like a 3 year deal, give him some good guaranteed money up front. That's the kind of reasonable acquisition that makes sense at RB IMO.

I would think signing Lindsay and/or Johnson would represent similar value. None of them are going to command big money.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

UPDATE: McDaniel hired!  [Thread for new head coach news and rumors] - Page 11 Empty Re: UPDATE: McDaniel hired! [Thread for new head coach news and rumors]

Post by JMP Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:02 am

Regardless of anything else that happens at RB, Duke Johnson needs to be re-signed! He will be a major receiving weapon out of the backfield in this offense.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:05 am

I have been on board with Mike Munchak as OL coach since I first heard he was available. He was with the Broncos this season. Here are some interesting tweets comparing the running games of Denver and San Fran:

Locked On Dolphins @LockedOnPhins

Denver ran zone concepts 56% of rushing attempts in 2021 versus SF running zone concepts 62% of the time.

I understand traditional Shanahan WZ system isn’t a pure fit but if you’re hiring a OL coach I find it hard to believe Munchak couldn’t handle coaching different techniques

30% of Denver’s runs last year hit to the perimeter. SF had the exact same ratio (30%) of their runs hit outside the tackles.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:28 am

Another player to keep an eye on, that is currently a Dolphin: Lynn Bowden.  I think he has a chance to be a Cordarelle Patterson/Deebo Samuel type that can play RB and all WR positions.  Not saying he'll be as good as those players, and of course he needs to earn a roster spot first, but it is possible that he could fill a similar role in this offense because of his skillset.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:31 am

Agree on Bowden. There is certainly talent on our roster that was wasted under a boring, un-unified and incomprehensible offensive system.
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:32 pm

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/02/07/mmqb-super-bowl-week-bengals-scouts-rams-los-angeles

Albert Breer from Sports Illustrated on the McDaniel hire:

Mike McDaniel’s hire in Miami should get your attention. The fact that he’s biracial is, of course, important given the way this hiring cycle has gone. As is the fact that McDaniel is widely seen among those in the Shanahan coaching tree as the other side of Kyle’s brain. In fact, the 38-year-old Yale graduate may well be the smartest branch off that tree—and it’s reflected in how close Shanahan kept McDaniel over the years. Shanahan’s always surrounded himself with smart young coaches, but McDaniel was the only one he took to work under him at all five of his NFL stops as a coordinator or head coach (Texans, Washington, Browns, Falcons, 49ers). And in each of those places, Shanahan had no issue delegating to McDaniel, which is a good a sign of his trust in a guy he first got to know as a ball boy for his dad’s Broncos teams. In San Francisco over the last few years, Shanahan would spend Mondays and Tuesdays almost exclusively on the passing game, going to work with top lieutenants like former pass-game coordinator Mike LaFleur, while McDaniel was left to draw up the team’s run game for the week. By the time Wednesday rolled around, what McDaniel would draw up could be so inventive that it’d take a couple of days for the other guys on the staff to wrap their heads around what he was thinking. But Shanahan had so much trust in McDaniel that he gave him great latitude to roll with those sorts of ideas—and they paid off with one of the NFL’s best run games. The question now with McDaniel will be how he’ll be in front of the room when things go wrong. And it’s a fair question to ask. But based on what I know about how McDaniel’s grown in that regard, and how comfortable he is in his own skin, I think he’ll be alright. And I will say that I’m pretty certain that, going forward, his Dolphins are going to be a difficult team to coach against.

Love that last sentence!!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:10 pm

I agree that McDaniel was probably the best hire... if Pederson was not in the mix.

I still think Pederson would have done some remarkable things for Tua, but...

The fact Jets HC Saleh (edit to fix - DYAC!!!) said he would not like to see McDaniel in the AFC East was very revealing IMO.

So...

One - He is young but has a boatload of experience on the Offensive side of the ball. This SHOULD pay immediate dividends after watching TeamKiller Flores' boneheaded handling of the offense for three years.

Two - He is smart, but is he smart enough to understand what he doesn't know? Gase thought he was absolutely the smartest man in the NFL, even though he wasn't, and made some horrendous personnel decisions and even worse personnel blunders in regards to keeping a harmonious locker room.

Three - Being in charge of the running game is one thing, but how is he going to handle EVERYTHING? IS he going to be a dithering professional micro-manager like Sparano? Is he going to agonize over the LG missing his blocks to the exclusion of all else like Sparano did?  Being a HC is a HUGE change from setting up the rushing game play.

I was hopeful Flores was the HC to fix the Phins leaking, rotten, floundering NFL ship, but he turned out to be a new coat of paint on rotten wood. Maybe McDaniel is FINALLY the real deal. I suspect as with every HC, the staff he assembles will ultimately make or break him, but AT LEAST the Phins went out and got an offensive minded HC that is not afraid to innovate it sounds like.

That is a very good thing as far as Grier and Ross making a decision IMO. Whether it works out or not.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:12 pm

Another thing I'm thinking: when we look at WRs in free agency and the draft, I think the first question to ask is "Can he block?" Every player on the offense is going to have to be at least a willing blocker. Right now, I consider Waddle and Hollins to be pretty good blockers...I'm not sure any other receiver on the roster has much ability in that area.

Good blockers that are good route runners...that's the key for our new WRs IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:17 pm

finfanatic wrote:

Two - He is smart, but is he smart enough to understand what he doesn't know? Gase thought he was absolutely the smartest man in the NFL, even though he wasn't, and made some horrendous personnel decisions and even worse personnel blunders in regards to keeping a harmonious locker room.

Three - Being in charge of the running game is one thing, but how is he going to handle EVERYTHING? IS he going to be a dithering professional micro-manager like Sparano? Is he going to agonize over the LG missing his blocks to the exclusion of all else like Sparano did?  Being a HC is a HUGE change from setting up the rushing game play.

From what I have seen, Kyle Shanahan (and Mike before him) believes in collaboration - everyone on his staff is involved in running the team. I think that is exactly what we will see with McDaniel. He will build a collaborative atmosphere and the goal will be everyone working together toward the common goals. We'll see if that works in reality, but that is my best guess based on what I've seen. And if so, that will be a refreshing change from the dictatorial coaching philosophy we had with Flores and Gase.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:43 pm

Looks like the McDaniel intro press conference may be on NFL Network at 6:00.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:51 pm

JMP wrote:From what I have seen, Kyle Shanahan (and Mike before him) believes in collaboration - everyone on his staff is involved in running the team.  I think that is exactly what we will see with McDaniel.  He will build a collaborative atmosphere and the goal will be everyone working together toward the common goals.  We'll see if that works in reality, but that is my best guess based on what I've seen.  And if so, that will be a refreshing change from the dictatorial coaching philosophy we had with Flores and Gase.

To me, that's just common sense. Why WOULDN'T all the coaches on the same staff be working towards a common goal? There's been more than enough evidence at this point that a rising tide lifts all boats. You'd think every coach on that staff would know by now that the more successful the team is, the better off it'll be for his career down the road.

Finding out that these days it's almost always the complete opposite is just another thing that shocks and disgusts me about today's world. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:09 am

Dolphins management preferred to find a coach who believed he could mold Tua Tagovailoa into something more and maximize his strengths. They have found one with McDaniel.

NFL Network’s Peter Schrager said he spoke with McDaniel this weekend and reports that the Dolphins’ new coach is “very high on Tua.” Per Shrager, McDaniel told owner Stephen Ross and general manager Chris Grier: “I am going to maximize what Tua can do best. I’m not going to think Tua is going to hold us back.”

Shrager said McDaniel “made the case for why Tua can be the quarterback there. He had answers for what he wants to do with Tua.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article257878178.html

that's encouraging.

..49ers completed 33 of 40 passes on designed rollouts with 6 TDs this past season. That’s something Tagovailoa does well and the Dolphins figure to do more of.

of course. remind me again why the last staff couldn't figure this out.

“Tua spent his time at Alabama playing under Steve Sarkisian, who ran Kyle Shanahan’s offense. Mike McDaniel will be running his version of Kyle Shanahan’s offense. Tua will be very, very, very comfortable in this system and scheme.”

that's good news.

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:15 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:From what I have seen, Kyle Shanahan (and Mike before him) believes in collaboration - everyone on his staff is involved in running the team.  I think that is exactly what we will see with McDaniel.  He will build a collaborative atmosphere and the goal will be everyone working together toward the common goals.  We'll see if that works in reality, but that is my best guess based on what I've seen.  And if so, that will be a refreshing change from the dictatorial coaching philosophy we had with Flores and Gase.

To me, that's just common sense. Why WOULDN'T all the coaches on the same staff be working towards a common goal? There's been more than enough evidence at this point that a rising tide lifts all boats. You'd think every coach on that staff would know by now that the more successful the team is, the better off it'll be for his career down the road.

Finding out that these days it's almost always the complete opposite is just another thing that shocks and disgusts me about today's world. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Exactly!

Gase certainly didn't work toward a common goal with his staff. Hell, he refused to even watch the defense play on his own team!

And we now know that Flores was barely even talking to his coaching staff.

So yeah, while it is common sense that coaches need to work together - we've seen in Miami that this isn't always the case. Common sense is not so common these days!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:15 am

JMP wrote:Looks like the McDaniel intro press conference may be on NFL Network at 6:00.

Or not. I don't know when the hell it is! scratch

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:20 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
Dolphins management preferred to find a coach who believed he could mold Tua Tagovailoa into something more and maximize his strengths. They have found one with McDaniel.

NFL Network’s Peter Schrager said he spoke with McDaniel this weekend and reports that the Dolphins’ new coach is “very high on Tua.” Per Shrager, McDaniel told owner Stephen Ross and general manager Chris Grier: “I am going to maximize what Tua can do best. I’m not going to think Tua is going to hold us back.”

Shrager said McDaniel “made the case for why Tua can be the quarterback there. He had answers for what he wants to do with Tua.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article257878178.html

that's encouraging.

..49ers completed 33 of 40 passes on designed rollouts with 6 TDs this past season. That’s something Tagovailoa does well and the Dolphins figure to do more of.

of course.  remind me again why the last staff couldn't figure this out.

“Tua spent his time at Alabama playing under Steve Sarkisian, who ran Kyle Shanahan’s offense. Mike McDaniel will be running his version of Kyle Shanahan’s offense. Tua will be very, very, very comfortable in this system and scheme.”

that's good news.

If all goes according to plan, McDaniel is going to remind Dolfans just how important a running game and OL are to a QB's success. Seems like a lot of people watching Dolphins games the past couple of years have forgotten that!

One thing I'm anxious to see in the passing game: Dolphins receivers actually getting open! So much of that is scheme-based, and again it is tied to the ability to run the ball. The only time Dolphins receivers were open - really open - last season was on busted plays. That's going to change.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:16 am

Couple of random thoughts today. First of all agree with JMP, no evidence there is a press conference scheduled at this point. It looks like yesterday was just bring him in with his family, sign the contract and let them get settled in Miami. Maybe a press conference tomorrow?

- Starting with the offensive line, my understanding is the zone block scheme to be employed will require fast and athletic linemen that can reach-block and pull effectively. The good news is I think Robert Hunt (certainly the best OL on the team right now, and the one least likely to be replaced) seems to fit that mold. In fact, I don't think we have much in the Ereck Flowers mold of just big road grader guys, who would not seem to fit in what we are about to implement. So, seems to me little in the way of collateral damage due to system fit - at least on the line.

- I am fascinated to see what the team will do with Mike Gesicki. IMO he needs to be re-signed. He SHOULD NOT "break the bank" not only because he's a TE, but his stats are good to very good - not exceptional. A reasonable deal is doable, while giving him plenty of money guaranteed. Grier needs to show that retaining our own players is more important than spending huge money on the next Van Noy, or the next Will Fuller. We cannot afford to let home-grown talents and playmakers like Gesicki walk out the door. McDaniel will have a field day drawing up plays to feature Gesicki, and I promise you his blocking ability won't be a problem. Why not feature him as the slot receiver where he's blocking a smaller linebacker or safety or corner? That won't work? What about having him line up in the backfield?

- Receiver is interesting because of the emphasis on blocking at that position. Would LOVE to see Hollins get more snaps, he seems to maximize every opportunity he has on offense. Waddle, of course, will be a featured weapon. Does Parker fit? He's cheap enough it might not make sense to just outright release him. If anything, work to get a draft pick in trade. Lynn Bowden Jr is another versatile player that should get a package of plays drawn up to feature his skill set. Wilson probably doesn't fit, and I don't know about Hurns although I do like what Hurns brings to the table. Not sure if Preston Williams makes it out of camp - we will see on him.

- Defense? After reading a bunch of stuff over the last 24 hours, I am more convinced Fangio is the home-run hire at defensive coordinator. I'm not excited to see Boyer return - not at all. The assistants on defense are likely to be retained, and I'm fine with that as long as it's Fangio running the show. Boyer did not show nearly enough over the last two years, and theory is Flores relinquished playcalling only to grab it back once the defense was getting lit up earlier in the year. Of course, that didn't change in our matchup with Tennessee. The pattern was we feast on bad QBs, and get blown out by more powerful offenses. Fangio defenses don't do that, they are fundamentally sound. I believe too much was done with "smoke and mirrors" that covered up flaws against bad offenses, but were exploited against good ones.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:19 pm

if Fangio is the hire, the Dolphins are going to have to either draft or trade for some high-profile linebackers. throughout his coaching history, Fangio has worked with some elite LBers and that is what makes his system go.

New Orleans - Rickey Jackson, Vaughan Johnson, Sam Mills & Pat Swilling
Carolina - Kevin Greene, Micheal Barrow & Greg Lloyd
Baltimore - Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, Terrell Suggs & Adalius Thomas
San Francisco - Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman & Aldon Smith
Chicago - Khalil Mack, Roquan Smith, Leonard Floyd & Danny Trevathan
Denver - Von Miller & Bradley Chubb

maybe Jaelan Phillips continued his develop, but otherwise there is no one on Miami's roster that belongs on this list. and remember that Ogbah needs to be re-signed or replaced - a little pass rush help from the other side DE wouldn't hurt either.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:11 pm

Great post, white!  Some thoughts:

white1 wrote:- Starting with the offensive line, my understanding is the zone block scheme to be employed will require fast and athletic linemen that can reach-block and pull effectively.  The good news is I think Robert Hunt (certainly the best OL on the team right now, and the one least likely to be replaced) seems to fit that mold.  In fact, I don't think we have much in the Ereck Flowers mold of just big road grader guys, who would not seem to fit in what we are about to implement.  So, seems to me little in the way of collateral damage due to system fit - at least on the line.

I agree about Hunt - he's a keeper.  Oddly enough, Austin Jackson also fits the mold in terms of quicker and athleticism - but I bet the new coaches will find out quickly if he was just poorly coached or if he actually sucks.  There could also be a home for Michael Deiter, even if it is just a primary backup for the interior positions.  It will be interesting to see where they play Eich...he was very good, maybe great, in college and I bet a good staff can make something out of him.  But regardless of anything else - please no more Jesse Davis!  I've had enough!

white1 wrote:-  I am fascinated to see what the team will do with Mike Gesicki.  IMO he needs to be re-signed.  He SHOULD NOT "break the bank" not only because he's a TE, but his stats are good to very good - not exceptional.  A reasonable deal is doable, while giving him plenty of money guaranteed.  Grier needs to show that retaining our own players is more important than spending huge money on the next Van Noy, or the next Will Fuller.  We cannot afford to let home-grown talents and playmakers like Gesicki walk out the door.  McDaniel will have a field day drawing up plays to feature Gesicki, and I promise you his blocking ability won't be a problem.  Why not feature him as the slot receiver where he's blocking a smaller linebacker or safety or corner? That won't work? What about having him line up in the backfield?

The more I think about Gesicki, the more I think he can be used in a similar role to Deebo Samuel and Cooper Kupp, as a player you can line up literally anywhere (TE, H-back, RB, slot, both outside spots) and create mismatches and scheme him open.  The Miami offense last season did Gesicki no favors at all, with almost no opportunities for him to get in space.  If he is re-signed, that will change - and he could have a monster season.

white1 wrote:- Receiver is interesting because of the emphasis on blocking at that position.  Would LOVE to see Hollins get more snaps, he seems to maximize every opportunity he has on offense.  Waddle, of course, will be a featured weapon.  Does Parker fit? He's cheap enough it might not make sense to just outright release him.  If anything, work to get a draft pick in trade.  Lynn Bowden Jr is another versatile player that should get a package of plays drawn up to feature his skill set.  Wilson probably doesn't fit, and I don't know about Hurns although I do like what Hurns brings to the table.  Not sure if Preston Williams makes it out of camp - we will see on him.

I'm looking to completely overhaul this group, with Waddle and Hollins as the only "must keep" receivers for me.  

Waddle is going to have a lot of fun in this offense.  Like Gesicki, he is a chess piece that McDaniel and his staff can and will line up everywhere.  Hollins is a good blocker and just does whatever you need him to do - he's a keeper.  I think there is a place for Bowden if he plays to his ability this summer, but he has to earn it.  Beyond that?  I do like Parker, but I'd look to trade him - we can probably only get a 5th or 6th, but I'd do it.  Williams and Wilson will be gone.  Hurns and Ford have a small - very small - chance of sticking IMO, but I would at least like to see them in camp.

white1 wrote:Defense? After reading a bunch of stuff over the last 24 hours, I am more convinced Fangio is the home-run hire at defensive coordinator.  I'm not excited to see Boyer return - not at all.  The assistants on defense are likely to be retained, and I'm fine with that as long as it's Fangio running the show.  Boyer did not show nearly enough over the last two years, and theory is Flores relinquished playcalling only to grab it back once the defense was getting lit up earlier in the year.  Of course, that didn't change in our matchup with Tennessee.  The pattern was we feast on bad QBs, and get blown out by more powerful offenses.  Fangio defenses don't do that, they are fundamentally sound.  I believe too much was done with "smoke and mirrors" that covered up flaws against bad offenses, but were exploited against good ones.

Agreed.  And as merc pointed out, we'll need to upgrade LB - but that's something we needed to do anyway.  If Fangio gets the job, look for the Phins to pursue Broncos' FA LBs Kenny Young and Josey Jewell.  My guess is Denver will try to keep Young, but if not he'd be a great addition.  I'd also keep an eye on the Saints' Kwon Alexander, and maybe Demario Davis if he gets cut in a cap-savings move. Davis is older, but still a rock-solid player. And this draft looks to have some good LBs as well.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:51 pm

Chad Muma is a player I keep wanting to take in my mocks with the Fins' second pick. IMO he's at least going to be good. Not sure if he's a Zach-level guy, but he could be.

Also IMO, at least two WRs need to be drafted. Unfortunately with only two picks in the top 99 (thanks, Grier) it'll be rough. I just did a mock where Burks *and* Trevor Penning were both taken before 29 so I traded down. Still got Muma though Very Happy and settled for Max Mitchell while managing to draft two WRs (Skyy Moore, Jaivon Heiligh) thanks to trading down a couple more times. I also got Montana St. LB Troy Andersen.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:15 pm

Jalen Tolbert, Alec Pierce and Christian Watson are big receiver types who Miami might have a shot at. Burks is going to go even earlier than 15 I'd bet.

HalCHorn

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:22 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Chad Muma is a player I keep wanting to take in my mocks with the Fins' second pick. IMO he's at least going to be good. Not sure if he's a Zach-level guy, but he could be.

Also IMO, at least two WRs need to be drafted. Unfortunately with only two picks in the top 99 (thanks, Grier) it'll be rough. I just did a mock where Burks *and* Trevor Penning were both taken before 29 so I traded down. Still got Muma though Very Happy and settled for Max Mitchell while managing to draft two WRs (Skyy Moore, Jaivon Heiligh) thanks to trading down a couple more times. I also got Montana St. LB Troy Andersen.

Burks is going top 10 IMO. But I agree that the Phins should probably draft 2 WRs.

Muma made a couple of plays in the Sr. Bowl.  Looks like one of those Energizer Bunny types that always finds a way to get to the ball.

Penning is interesting.  He has the Big Mean SOB part down, just needs to be more consistent.  Most likely he goes before Miami picks, but I wouldn't be surprised if he fell.

Depending on what happens in free agency, if the Dolphins do stay at 29 and Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum is on the board I think I'm running up with that pick.  He'd be a huge addition to the OL if we don't grab one in free agency.

Now that McDaniel is here, I doubt we draft a RB before the third round, probably later. He did a fantastic job with late-round and undrafted players in San Fran. Gotta build that OL, though.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:23 pm

I tried to do my mock in a way that would kinda sorta reflect what you guys are saying McDaniels prioritizes. So Daniel Faalele's out and no more taking Dameon Pierce either (sighs).

Tolbert went at 72 otherwise I'd have taken him at 77 instead of Mitchell. BTW what do you guys think about David Bell?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:20 am

DolFan 316 wrote:I tried to do my mock in a way that would kinda sorta reflect what you guys are saying McDaniels prioritizes. So Daniel Faalele's out and no more taking Dameon Pierce either (sighs).

Tolbert went at 72 otherwise I'd have taken him at 77 instead of Mitchell. BTW what do you guys think about David Bell?

Faalele was fairly unimpressive during Senior Bowl week IMO. He certainly has the size and strength, but he seems very sloppy to me - not smooth at all.

Bell is a nice receiver - I don't know enough about him to speak to his route-running or blocking, but there is a lot to like with him. Seems like he has great hands.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11