The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATE: McDaniel hired! [Thread for new head coach news and rumors]

+5
finfanatic
mercury22nathan
DolFan 316
white1
JMP
9 posters

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

UPDATE: McDaniel hired!  [Thread for new head coach news and rumors] - Page 2 Empty Re: UPDATE: McDaniel hired! [Thread for new head coach news and rumors]

Post by JMP Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:01 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:I guess the biggest question is: can a 5'9" geek lead an NFL team?  He certainly has the smarts, but can he be tough/intimidating when he needs to be?  Otherwise, he's my choice IF we go the 'inexperienced young coach' route.  Not my top preference, of course - I want Pederson - but I'm not making the decision!  LOL

See my post in the NFL forum about Staley. Dude looks 16 and that doesn't stop the media from drooling all over him.

Also, Vince Lombardi was around 5'6". Just sayin'.

True. I don't want to be "height-ist", and it's not like I'm tall (barely 5'11"), but I have an image in my mind of McDaniel yelling at Raekwon Davis and it's just not working! Laughing Laughing Laughing

But hey - if the guy can build a staff and he's as smart as they say, I'll give him a shot if that's the way it goes.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

UPDATE: McDaniel hired!  [Thread for new head coach news and rumors] - Page 2 Empty Re: UPDATE: McDaniel hired! [Thread for new head coach news and rumors]

Post by JMP Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:17 pm

Apparently the Rooney Rule now states that teams have to interview at least 2 minority candidates. So, if the Phins do interview Vance Joseph and Leslie Frazier they will have fulfilled that requirement. I just wish they'd talk to some minority coaches that can, you know, actually be a head coach! These two guys were not good, to be nice.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:39 am

At this point, here are the guys I want:

Experienced:
1. Doug Pederson
2. Dan Quinn

Inexperienced:
1. Mike McDaniel
2. Byron Leftwich

I think any of these guys are capable of building a strong coaching staff. Pederson and McDaniel would be excellent coaches for Tua.

But...if I had to guess, I think the actual hire will be Brian Daboll. Neutral

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:47 am

True. I don't want to be "height-ist", and it's not like I'm tall (barely 5'11"), but I have an image in my mind of McDaniel yelling at Raekwon Davis and it's just not working! Laughing Laughing Laughing

But hey - if the guy can build a staff and he's as smart as they say, I'll give him a shot if that's the way it goes.

Stature really doesn't matter IMO. The biggest question McDaniel will have to answer is how will he build a coaching staff? Common to all young, first time head coaches what relationships can he draw on across the league to bring experience to the staff?

Players really care about a couple of core things: One, implement a scheme and game plan that puts them in the best position to perform on game day and two,
provide coaching input that "makes them better" during the offseason and training camp. If McDaniel and his staff can do that he will be just fine.

But...if I had to guess, I think the actual hire will be Brian Daboll. Neutral

On the bright side, there are at least a couple respected sources that really like Brian Daboll as a head coach candidate. No question he also did excellent work in developing Josh Allen. IMO Daboll with a strong DC is a good mix, and I would be encouraged by that kind of staff.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:57 am

I'm not convinced Daboll is a good match for Tua, and I hate the way he handles (or mishandles) the running game. I'm not sure how much credit to give him for Allen, and how much to give to the QB coach (Ken Dorsey). But we'll see.

As far as McDaniel, he goes way back with the Shanahans and has been on some great coaching staffs. I have no doubt he has enough contacts around the league to build a staff. I've been watching some videos of him and the guy really does seem like a total offensive genius, and he's incredibly creative and thoughtful about what he does. He has a flexible mindset and sounds like a guy that will adapt to his players' strengths instead of forcing them into his scheme. He seems like the anti-Gase.

JMP
Admin

white1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:14 pm

Cameron Wolfe
@CameronWolfe

Dolphins appear to be casting a wide net in HC search, which is good.

Latest request to interview Rams Asst HC/RB coach Thomas Brown is identifying strong up-&-coming leader. Asked around on Brown, I was told he’s “demanding but not demeaning.” Rams players/McVay rave about him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:24 pm

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
The #Dolphins put in a request to interview #Rams RBs coach/assistant head coach Thomas Brown for their head coaching job, source said.

A former Georgia and NFL running back, Brown reminds some in the league of a young Mike Tomlin. On the rise at age 35.

Steve Wyche
@wyche89
This guy is a star. McVay has spoken highly of Brown since his arrival. Great communicator and high IQ. Smart move by the Dolphins to do their due diligence here.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:30 pm

Ross (and maybe Grier) love them some first time NFL head coaches.

That's all well and good, let's just see who we hire first... then worry about the staff they are able to bring to Miami.

Let's be honest. Flores was a great hire, and checked a lot of boxes. We all know what his downfall turned out to be. Is it possible we find someone with the skills AND the ability to work with and lead people?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:33 pm

I remember Thomas Brown when he coached the Canes, but hard to get a read on him there since that was a Mark Richt offense and the team was a disaster. But by all accounts, Brown has a stellar reputation - and the fact that the Rams made him an assistant HC speaks volumes as to how McVay views him. I need to dig more, but this is a very interesting candidate.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:37 pm

white1 wrote:Ross (and maybe Grier) love them some first time NFL head coaches.

That's all well and good, let's just see who we hire first... then worry about the staff they are able to bring to Miami.

Let's be honest.  Flores was a great hire, and checked a lot of boxes.  We all know what his downfall turned out to be.  Is it possible we find someone with the skills AND the ability to work with and lead people?

Yeah, the current NFL trend is clearly to hire smart, young, inexperienced head coaches. This year's playoffs are filled with them.

What I like most about the younger guys that the Phins are talking to is they all appear to be super smart and creative and have excellent reputations. And, they all seem like genuinely good guys and great communicators. In contrast, Gase was a complete asshole and Flo never seemed comfortable talking in public.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:51 am

What I liked about Flores is he brought a great defense with him. Even in year 1 with a trash roster they started playing really well as the season progressed. That was fun to watch.

How cool would it be to see a head coach bring an OFFENSE like that? IMO it's a great recipe for success. Especially if you can bring a veteran defensive coordinator at the same time so you're solid on that side of the ball as well.

This could be really good. Let's see who we hire first! But I must admit I'm intrigued by some of these names.
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:53 am

I still think Pederson is who they should get, but... Not with Ross listening to Eagles Owner....

This SHOULD be about bringing in someone who can get the most out of Tua, but I am seeing a trend towards getting the NEXT YOUNG SUCCESSFUL HC and proving how smart the owner is. This whole HC search reeks of Ross IMO. Which is ALWAYS a bad thing.

The ONLY THOUGHT in Ross and Grier's wee little minds should be getting in a HC who can show either way: Is Tua the long term franchise QB the Phins need!!

Until that is answered, everything else is just "arranging deck chairs on the deck of the Titanic." IMO.

Do you think the Chargers fans are WONDERING if Herbert is gonna be a franchise QB or not? QB is SOLVED for them. They can focus on finding out why the defense sucks donkey testicles all of a sudden.

Not so the Phins. They have a offense that stinks, a coaching staff in disarray, and a HUGE GIGANTIC QUESTION MARK at QB. No team with a question mark at QB is going to be able to compete in the NFL nowadays IMO.

Ross, t'were he smart as he think he err... would get the candidate that CAN finally fix Tua or demonstrably prove once and for all Tua cannot be fixed and the Phins still need to get a franchise QB.

Everything else is a distraction IMO. But Ross loves him some distractions.

(sigh)
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:33 am

I agree, Pederson is obviously the best candidate to fix the O-line and develop Tua and he's proven he can beat Belicheck on the biggest stage, but....

Winning simply isn't a priority for Ross. He talks a good game, but ultimately doesn't give a damn about the Dolphins. He cares about Michigan football and virtue signaling and that's about it. He wants to own an NFL team so he can be one of the cool kids and he wants to do things that will look "stunning and brave" to the rest of the cool kids.

But the Fins actually winning something? Nah, he doesn't give a damn.

Cowboys fans complained about Jerry Jones being too hands on for years, but having seen the other extreme here, I'd take Jerry and let him make ALL the decisions over having goober Ross make half measures for 20 years, no question.

Really appreciating Wayne Huizenga and Joe Robbie these days. They made their mistakes, but they really did care about the Dolphins winning. It was a priority.

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:34 am

HalCHorn wrote:I agree, Pederson is obviously the best candidate to fix the O-line and develop Tua and he's proven he can beat Belicheck on the biggest stage, but....

Winning simply isn't a priority for Ross. He talks a good game, but ultimately doesn't give a damn about the Dolphins. He cares about Michigan football and virtue signaling and that's about it. He wants to own an NFL team so he can be one of the cool kids and he wants to do things that will look "stunning and brave" to the rest of the cool kids.

But the Fins actually winning something? Nah, he doesn't give a damn.

Cowboys fans complained about Jerry Jones being too hands on for years, but having seen the other extreme here, I'd take Jerry and let him make ALL the decisions over having goober Ross make half measures for 20 years, no question.

Really appreciating Wayne Huizenga and Joe Robbie these days. They made their mistakes, but they really did care about the Dolphins winning. It was a priority.

Jerry Jones has been one of the better general managers/owners the last 20 years. I just can't believe they called a running play at the end of the game last night. That's coaching.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:38 am

Listening to sports radio the overall consensus on coaching trees in the NFL. Belicheat disciples are assholes that have a my way or Highway approach. The Shanahan tree is a more relatable to the players and other coaches.

CarsonChris

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:55 am

14 penalties is also coaching.  San Francisco did their level best to let Dallas back in the game late by not covering the sidelines, and why McCarthy doesn't have a play designed to go longer than 25 yards in an end of the game situation is beyond me.  The QB Draw at the end was by design?  You practice it but don't practice handing the freaking ball to the umpire immediately after the play is over?  

Yesterday was Bumstedt level "No, we see no need to practice kicking off the infield dirt" stupid.  I know McCarthy has a Lombardi, but I'll be surprised if he still has a job a week from now. McCarthy is certainly an accomplished HC overall, but his clock management is atrocious and the team discipline is clearly lacking.

HalCHorn

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:04 am

He won the Superbowl once with Aaron Rodgers as his QB. ONCE.

What made anyone think he could do better with a lesser QB?
white1
white1

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:28 am

Not much news on the coaching front, other than the Phins now have an interview officially scheduled with Dan Quinn.

There are rumors that Harbaugh will return to the NFL and is interested in the Raiders, Giants and Bears. Personally, I think these rumors are bullshit and he's staying at Michigan...but we'll see. The Raiders and Bears make sense if he does leave, because he is a midwest/west coast guy...I don't see anyway he'd go to the Giants. In any case - if Harbaugh leaves Michigan and doesn't come to the Phins, I think this fanbase is going to crucify Ross!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:49 am

I would be fine with Quinn, assuming he brings a veteran OC, veteran DC and associated staff with him (he built a good one in Atlanta). So good chance he can build a solid staff.

Apparently Caldwell is out. Someone posted on Twitter, forget who. That's a shame because his credentials are real solid, especially the success he enjoyed in Detroit. That program is a mess and no one has had that kind of success since.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:09 pm

Albert Breer
✔
@AlbertBreer

49ers offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel will interview for the Dolphins head coaching job tomorrow afternoon, per sources. Will be done via videoconference, bc of SF’s short-week constraints.

JMP
Admin

white1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:46 pm

I am of the opinion that everything revolves around Tua first and foremost. I say this in the direction of Grier. Grier was retained. Tua is his guy. The next head coach has to be the one that facilitates Tua's biggest leap to date. Grier and Tua will be tied together. That's what got Flores fired. My opinion Daboll has the most to foster Tua's growth the fastest or determine weather Tua has it.

1B....is the fact that we shouldnt be hiring a coordinator whose successful for a HC gig. A coordinators job is X's and O's. The head coach is the motivator, the caretaker, the inspiration, the leader of men, a decision maker and not the strategist. Hire good coordinators. The Head Coaches job is to meld everything together which means to communicate. Clearly something Flores lacked.

The defensive roster is built to Flores' style. The most logical thing to do is retain Boyer and some of his staff to ease the transition to the next coach. The defense has got something. I wouldn't change it just yet until a roster purge in year 2 or 3 of the next HC. Continuity could accelerate the Dolphins ascent. The only issue would be is if the next coach does not bring back key contributors.

On the offensive side. It boils down to OL and WR. RB was at the beginning but Duke Johnson and Philip Lindsay would allow the next coach at least a year or 2 to fix the OL. Their running style actually is better for this OL than Gaskin and Ahmed. I feel Johnson and Lindsay are more North and South runners. We need WR's that are healthy. With the amount of cap space we have we should a have a good amount to get some players in here. Just my opinion
Umix10
Umix10

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:20 pm

Great post, Umix. I'm on board with everything you said - except that I really don't care about keeping Boyer or keeping this defensive scheme. Boyer reportedly called the defense in the first half of the season when it absolutely sucked. And as far as the scheme, it sure looked good against lesser teams...but man was it godawful against good teams. So I'll just say I haven't seen enough from this scheme to pound my fists on the table to keep it.

I think we have most of the players we need on D - just not sold on the system. Fortunately, I think with the versatility and multiple approach that Flores preached, this group of players can excel in a variety of schemes. I'd LOVE to see what Vic Fangio could do with them.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:26 am

Since it appears (as far as we know) that the Dolphins have zero interest in Doug Pederson, I just want it to be known for the record that I am 100% on board with Mike McDaniel.  I've watched a bunch of videos of him, and he has the ideal combination of applied knowledge, creativity and personality.  Players love him, coaches respect him.  

I realize that he has never been a head coach.  But this guy has head coach written all over him, and listening to him talk, I think he's ready.  He's been around long enough, and with good people, that I think he can build a strong staff.  I think he will maximize talent, and not alienate the players and coaches around him.

It's time for a new era of Dolphins football, one where we have an actual NFL offense.  Mike McDaniel will bring that to Miami.

BUT...

I still think Daboll gets the job...

Last edited by JMP on Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:00 am

I'm on board with McDaniel.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:49 am

Potential complication with Daboll.

Bills Assistant GM Schoen one of the favorites to get Giants GM job. Rumor has it Daboll going with him to be HC.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next