The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATE: McDaniel hired! [Thread for new head coach news and rumors]

+5
finfanatic
mercury22nathan
DolFan 316
white1
JMP
9 posters

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

UPDATE: McDaniel hired!  [Thread for new head coach news and rumors] - Page 9 Empty Re: UPDATE: McDaniel hired! [Thread for new head coach news and rumors]

Post by JMP Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:43 am

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/robert-saleh-on-dolphins-hc-frontrunner-mike-mcdaniel-keep-him-out-of-the-afc-east-please/

There’s no better endorsement for San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel to become the Miami Dolphins’ next head coach than Robert Saleh’s reaction to the idea. Saleh’s New York Jets face the Dolphins twice a year, and that might be two times too many if McDaniel gets the job.

Saleh, speaking here as coach of the Senior Bowl’s National Team, couldn’t say enough complimentary things about McDaniel, his longtime friend and occasional colleague.

“Mike is phenomenal,” said Saleh, who was on staff with McDaniel before taking the Jets’ top job in 2021. “His mindset, the way he creates things, the outside-the-box thinking, his ability to communicate with people, he’s as good as they get.

“He’s been with Kyle [Shanahan] for longer than any of us have,” Saleh continued. “He’s been there since he and I were [quality control coaches], sitting across from each other with the Houston Texans back in ’06. He’s brilliant and he’s every bit deserving to be a head coach. I would not like him to come to the division. But if it happens, so be it.”

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

UPDATE: McDaniel hired!  [Thread for new head coach news and rumors] - Page 9 Empty Re: UPDATE: McDaniel hired! [Thread for new head coach news and rumors]

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:25 pm

Harbaugh can't come to Miami now. Harbaugh only wanted the job if he had full personnel control with his own personnel people. he has seen how collaborating with Grier has worked out for the last 2 Dolphins coaches. due to the allegations of racism by Flores in the NFL hiring process (albeit not directly against Miami), Ross can not fire Grier - one of the few Black NFL executives - for a White coach at this time. Grier stays (he has too) and the new coach, who ever it is, must accept this fact.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:49 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:Harbaugh can't come to Miami now.  Harbaugh only wanted the job if he had full personnel control with his own personnel people.  he has seen how collaborating with Grier has worked out for the last 2 Dolphins coaches.  due to the allegations of racism by Flores in the NFL hiring process (albeit not directly against Miami), Ross can not fire Grier - one of the few Black NFL executives - for a White coach at this time.  Grier stays (he has too) and the new coach, who ever it is, must accept this fact.

I agree in principle, but Harbaugh wasn't coming to Miami anyway. There was never any indication that Harbaugh was on his way to Miami even before the Flores bomb was dropped. No interview was ever scheduled, and in fact no legitimate source ever said anything about Harbaugh seeking or getting the Dolphins job. The reality is, it was never an option, despite media fake news and fans' fantasies.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:59 pm

just something to think about...a "what if"

what if Flores has receipts regarding Ross wanting the team to tank, and Grier knew about it or was the intermediary i.e. text messages?  Would that mean a complete housecleaning?

HalCHorn

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:14 pm

HalCHorn wrote:just something to think about...a "what if"

what if Flores has receipts regarding Ross wanting the team to tank, and Grier knew about it or was the intermediary i.e. text messages?  Would that mean a complete housecleaning?

Let's hope not...that would cripple the entire franchise. pale

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:08 pm

If Grier was in on it--and his roster moves CERTAINLY indicate he was--then he'd be gone too, black or no black. There's no way Ross goes down without Grier going down with him.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:04 pm

This entire situation has become a sickening joke. I'm tired of it all.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:01 pm

Well, back to the topic at hand. It now looks like Harbaugh is staying at Michigan and O'Connell is the Vikings' guy, per OutKick.

https://www.outkick.com/report-jim-harbaugh-returning-to-michigan-for-2022-season/

I guess it is McDaniel or Bust. Hopefully this isn't 2006-07 all over again, which would mean "bust" and this decade's Cam Cameron, who must be out there somewhere.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:42 pm

I'm telling you guys, nobody wants the job in Miami. We have the worst owner in professional sports. Then we have a terrible offense A GM that forces his players on the coach. A coaching staff that can't be replaced.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:46 am

CarsonChris wrote:I'm telling you guys, nobody wants the job in Miami. We have the worst owner in professional sports. Then we have a terrible offense   A GM that forces his players on the coach. A coaching staff that can't be replaced.

I kinda-sorta agree. If you have a CHOICE, you do not want to come to Miami. So either stay as a OC like Pats OC did when he turned down the Lions, like DC Quinn did this season when he stayed with the Cowboys, or take one of ONLY 32 NFL HCing positions.

It is still an NFL HCing job, even if the owner and the GM are proven DingleFruits.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:38 am

CarsonChris wrote:I'm telling you guys, nobody wants the job in Miami. We have the worst owner in professional sports. Then we have a terrible offense   A GM that forces his players on the coach. A coaching staff that can't be replaced.

I completely disagree. I think it's an excellent job. The Dolphins have:
--a team with back-to-back winning seasons that likely just needs an offensive line overhaul to be a legitimate playoff contender.
--a strong corps of good young players.
--an owner that has proven time and time again that he will spend money.
--a GM that has proven that he will get the players the head coach wants.

I know everyone wants to paint this team as a bottom-dweller, but that simply isn't the case. Grier has his faults at GM, but he does not force players on his coaches, and in fact has shown a willingness to get the players they want. And again, Ross is dumb as shit when it comes to football, but he pays for coaches and players. And no one ever said the coaching staff can't be replaced - that was more fake news, like "Harbaugh is signing with Miami" and "Watson to Miami is a done deal". Stop believing the media BS.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:40 am

HalCHorn wrote:Well, back to the topic at hand.  It now looks like Harbaugh is staying at Michigan

cheers cheers cheers Thank God! Now we can move beyond all this bullshit - Harbaugh was just using the Vikings to squeeze more money and power out of Michigan, and he was never coming to Miami.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:43 am

The two known finalists for the Dolphins’ opening remain 49ers offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel and Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore. According to Michael Silver of Bally Sports, McDaniel’s interview has been pushed back from Thursday to Friday.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article257990053.html

wonder if someone is having second thoughts? i hope not.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:47 am

LOL! Yeah. McDaniel wants to join this team right now? HAHAHA!

First question: So, how many draft picks will we have left after the NFL takes a giant dump on this entire franchise?

Fast forward about three weeks: "Vance Joseph was our top candidate all along, and we are thrilled to announce he's the new head coach of the Miami Dolphins."
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:48 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
The two known finalists for the Dolphins’ opening remain 49ers offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel and Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore. According to Michael Silver of Bally Sports, McDaniel’s interview has been pushed back from Thursday to Friday.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article257990053.html

wonder if someone is having second thoughts?  i hope not.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Not sure how true this is, but I saw somewhere that McDaniel wanted more time to watch film and work on his presentation. I can't believe anything anymore, but that does at least make sense. Plus, the Dolphins have been at the Senior Bowl. Friday tends to be the slow day as far as practices.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:49 am

With the benefit of hind sight... finding Flores a capable and veteran offensive coordinator seems like a very small issue to solve, doesn't it? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:12 am

Hey by the way... what the hell happened with Harbaugh? He goes through the process only to return to Michigan?

Is it possible he really was going to join the Dolphins, and the Flores scandal sent him running away?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:18 am

white1 wrote:Hey by the way... what the hell happened with Harbaugh? He goes through the process only to return to Michigan?

Is it possible he really was going to join the Dolphins, and the Flores scandal sent him running away?

As tempted as I am to say yes just to tweak Jmp Razz IMO it's just the usual posturing from college coaches to get a pay raise by threatening to go elsewhere. I've seen it literally a hundred times.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:33 am

white1 wrote:Hey by the way... what the hell happened with Harbaugh? He goes through the process only to return to Michigan?

Don't fall for the fake news, white...there was never any evidence whatsoever that Harbaugh was going to leave Michigan, and certainly no evidence that he ever even considered Miami. All we know for sure is that he talked with the Vikes - as far as I know, there was never even a formal interview even though it was reported that one would take place.

Bottom line: Harbaugh was never a real possibility for the Dolphins.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:10 pm

Vikings will reportedly hire the Rams offensive coordinator Monday after the super bowl

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:57 pm

Pederson to the Jaguars now being reported. If so. smart move by them. Lawrence is better than any QB he had in Philly.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:03 am

HalCHorn wrote:Pederson to the Jaguars now being reported.  If so. smart move by them.  Lawrence is better than any QB he had in Philly.

On Good Morning Football today, Cris Carter was destroying the Jags for hiring Pederson over Leftwich. He made some valid points, including that Leftwich has spent the last two years coaching Tom Brady and running one of the best offenses in football, while Pederson was crashing and burning in Philly and then sitting on his couch.

I'm not sold on Trevor Lawrence at all, but at least they hired a head coach that has gotten good QB play out of some mediocre QBs.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:04 am

So, we may not have a new head coach till Sunday or Monday. McDaniel interviews today, and Moore interviews tomorrow. My guess is we'll get an announcement on Monday.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:26 am

white1 wrote:Hey by the way... what the hell happened with Harbaugh?

it looks like things started off well and then...

At first, the interview seemed like it was going well. Harbaugh saw the Vikings’ gleaming new practice facility and the team started to see some of the coach’s most redeeming qualities.

A buzz reverberated through the building. Is this really happening? Are we really going to hire Jim Harbaugh?

Harbaugh started to feel it, too. He left Ann Arbor believing he was not coming back, and as the process got rolling, it started to look like he would be in Minnesota to stay.

But the Vikings had some hard questions to ask. They wanted to know more about his style and ability to work with others. They wanted to know more about how things ended with the 49ers. They wanted to hear his vision for leading this team back to the Super Bowl for the first time since 1977.

Sometime around 3 p.m., for reasons that are not exactly clear, things started to take a left turn. The tenor started to change, and if there was any momentum at Harbaugh’s back as he tried to secure the job, it disappeared.

Shortly before 6:30 p.m. CT, ESPN first reported that Harbaugh called Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel to tell him he was coming back to the Wolverines for the 2022 season and beyond.

The reason had nothing to do with money or a contract because the Vikings did not offer Harbaugh the job, sources said. There do not appear to be any hard feelings on either side — just a realization that this was not the right fit.

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-minnesota-vikings-did-not-231620028.html

one of two things. either this was all a ploy by Harbaugh to squeeze more money out of Michigan (and Ross was probably in on it) or when the Vikings started asked those tough questions around 3PM, Jimmy showed himself to be the arrogant, a-hole (albeit good coach) he really is.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:40 am

Best news of the offseason:

NBC Sports Edge wrote:
Adam Gase HC, Unsigned Free Agent
NFL Network's Mike Giardi reports Adam Gase's name "keeps popping up" among NFL sources discussing the Patriots' offensive coordinator vacancy.

The guy whose offense was dead last -- or near dead last -- in every meaningful category as head coach of the Jets is apparently in the running to replace Josh McDaniels as New England's offensive coordinator. Giardi said there remains hope that the next Patriots OC will come from within the organization, but Gase is a possible outside hire who could inexplicably get another chance to sink an NFL offense. A master of alienating players and creating stale, predictable offensive schemes, Gase would be a curious choice for Bill Belichick and the Pats. His hiring would raise serious questions about the development of Mac Jones as a franchise quarterback.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 and white1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next