The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATE: McDaniel hired! [Thread for new head coach news and rumors]

+5
finfanatic
mercury22nathan
DolFan 316
white1
JMP
9 posters

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

UPDATE: McDaniel hired!  [Thread for new head coach news and rumors] - Page 10 Empty Re: UPDATE: McDaniel hired! [Thread for new head coach news and rumors]

Post by white1 Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:24 am

HAHAHA! Gase to New England would be just perfect!
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

UPDATE: McDaniel hired!  [Thread for new head coach news and rumors] - Page 10 Empty Re: UPDATE: McDaniel hired! [Thread for new head coach news and rumors]

Post by HalCHorn Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:40 am

The last two firings here make one thing clear. It's very, very important to give Ross his harrumph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLO7VrRij_M

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:21 pm

Classic scene, Hal!! Laughing Laughing

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:07 pm

Laughing

Harrumph! That is perfect for Ross.

I heard somebody on Fox Sports Radio (take that for all it is worth) saying once all the antics surrounding Harbaugh came out and he couldn't explain them....something about going around campus in cleats and shirtless... and some other dingbat things... Harbaugh showed his arse and was out of the running for the Vikings job.

This has been a more circus than normal Head Coaching carousel it seems.

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:28 pm

This could be a sign that we are in fact hiring McDaniel:

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Anthony Lynn is being hired as the Assistant Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers, per league sources. Lynn - who had other NFL and college offers - is expected to now be a key cog in the 49ers’ offense and run game.

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz
So 49ers hire potential replacement for McDaniel (Anthony Lynn) on the day McDaniel (considered the favorite here) interviews with Dolphins. If Dolphins know they're giving the job to McDaniel BEFORE they interview Kellen Moore tomorrow, they probably shouldn't tell Belichick.
7:40 PM · Feb 4, 2022·Twitter Web App

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:56 pm

I don't know much about McDainels and the hire does not scream Miami has turned things around but I guess if we get him we support and hope we got it right.
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:14 am

JEGnj wrote:I don't know much about McDainels and the hire does not scream Miami has turned things around but I guess if we get him we support and hope we got it right.

At this point, that is all we can do.

HOPE Ross and Grier got it right this time!

IF...IF...IF... McDaniel can bring in the right asst. coaches, he may have a shot.

The Oline stunk like dead fish at high noon after a week last season but I think the majority of the problems there are the coaching (or lack thereof)
and the offensive scheme. The players Miami has on the Oline are not "worst in the NFL" I am thinking. Not top notch either, but not last.

Bring in a good staff, sign a solid Vet Lineman in free agency, draft a good O-lineman, and the Oline problem may correct itself.

We shall see.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:37 pm

Supposedly McDaniel's interview lasted for 10 hours!! That would seem to indicate that's he's the guy, no? scratch

Looking forward to a Monday announcement!

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:53 am

McDaniel is a better choice of the two finalists. Jimmy G doesn't have a big arm. He's got experience with a below average QB. Something we need to get the most out of Tua's 4 yard passes.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:33 pm

Breaking News.

Mike McDaniel hired today, the official report broke within the last hour.

Pursuing Vic Fangio as defensive coordinator:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-vic-fangio-defense-20220207-baivle3chjcmtod3qmb4p4rtny-story.html
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:58 pm

How sad it is that I'm actually amazed the league is allowing this team to hire a coach right now?

McDaniel BTW is the only non-fully white head coach to be hired so far. But I'm sure according to Flores it doesn't count since he's only half black Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Hopefully him accepting the job means that it's already known that there's nothing to that ridiculous suit. Which I've said all along.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:02 pm

Seems like a really good coach and candidate, and by accounts was very impressive during the interview process.

I'm pulling for him and wish him the best of luck.

If he gets Fangio to run the defense, it's a definite coups for a young, offensive oriented coach. In contrast, the best Gase could do was Vance Joseph - a great leader that turned out to be not the most talented Xs and Os guy. Flores? He started with Chad O'Shea who was a WR coach (remember - Caldwell was his QB coach hire and assistant HC, which lasted all of about three months).

Let's see what happens, but to this point, I am encouraged.

white1
white1

JMP and HalCHorn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:48 pm

Develop a running game, with the offensive line to provide it, and this team could be in the playoffs next year. Here's hoping Grier got it right.

HalCHorn

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:10 pm

OK, love the McDaniel hire - now let's see what kind of staff he builds. That will be key. OC, DC and QB coach are going to be ultra-important to any success McDaniel has.

I hope the Fangio rumors are true - that would be outstanding! Of course, there are also rumors that Boyer could stay...and that would not be so outstanding. We'll see...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:20 pm

Joe Schad from Palm Beach Post has some guesses for McDaniel's staff:

Vic Fangio DC/Assistant HC
Rich Scangarello OC (currently 49ers QB coach)
Jon Embree ?? (was 49ers TE coach/Assistant HC)
Wes Welker WR (currently 49ers WR coach)

Who knows if any of this actually happens, but all excellent hires if so.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:21 pm

Marcel Louis-Jacques
@Marcel_LJ
Source: Mike McDaniel was so impressive during his 1st interview with the Dolphins — a 40-50 minute zoom call earlier this offseason — that they were willing to wait on their final decision until they got him in the building

2nd interview lasted most of Friday, he blew them away
6:14 PM · Feb 6, 2022

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:34 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
McDaniel BTW is the only non-fully white head coach to be hired so far. But I'm sure according to Flores it doesn't count since he's only half black Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Yeah, enough of this crap already. If anything, the Dolphins should be the model for all other teams - black GM and now back-to-back black and biracial head coaches. If that's racist, we need to redefine the word.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:37 pm

JMP wrote:Joe Schad from Palm Beach Post has some guesses for McDaniel's staff:

That would be fantastic. Need a magician at offensive line coach.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:40 pm

JMP wrote:Yeah, enough of this crap already.  If anything, the Dolphins should be the model for all other teams - black GM and now back-to-back black and biracial head coaches.  If that's racist, we need to redefine the word.

Know who else is biracial? Colin Kaepernick. So when's he getting bashed and trashed for not being full black?

The only "systemic racism" I see in today's world is against whites. Yeah, I said it. The people in charge of the system are the same ones railing AGAINST the system. That tells you all you need to know.

Also, the Democrats are the ones who fought for slavery during the Civil War and founded the KKK. But the media doesn't want us to know or remember that for some odd reason scratch

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:44 pm; edited 3 times in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:43 pm

CarsonChris wrote:
JMP wrote:Joe Schad from Palm Beach Post has some guesses for McDaniel's staff:

That would be fantastic. Need a magician at offensive line coach.

Absolutely. And OL is going to be so important with McDaniel trying to implement that insane running game. I trust him to get someone that can handle the task.

Fangio would really be the key piece IMO. If we can get him, that makes McDaniel's job so much easier.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:18 am

JMP wrote:Absolutely.  And OL is going to be so important with McDaniel trying to implement that insane running game.  I trust him to get someone that can handle the task.

McDaniel employs the zone blocking/running scheme.  the Phins will absolutely need an O-line coach well versed in this scheme.  it will also probably mean a total overhaul of the O-line personnel - which probably isn't a bad thing.  but maybe, just maybe some of the players might be better suited for this scheme.

JMP wrote:Fangio would really be the key piece IMO.

agreed.  Fangio would be a huge bonus.  but, McDaniel can't just go right out an hire him.  first they have to interview at least 2 external minority candidates.

The Rooney Rule, which was designed to enhance diversity, equity, and inclusion in the league’s hiring process, has expanded yet again, requiring teams to interview at least two external minority candidates for general manager, executive of football operations positions alongside all coordinator roles.

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/news/las-vegas-raiders-nfl-expands-rooney-rule-minority-interview-requirement#:~:text=The%20Rooney%20Rule%2C%20which%20was,positions%20alongside%20all%20coordinator%20roles.

all things considered, i believe the hiring of McDaniel was the best option available with everything currently going on.  and while i am not a fan of the zone blocking scheme (although Miami showed its inability to employ a power gap scheme), i do look forward to some actually innovative 21st century offensive concepts in Miami.  and as an extra added bonus, if Juszczyk is any indication, the Phins will be re-employing a fullback - and that in my book is a good thing.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:10 am

Great post, merc. I agree on all counts.

For the OL, I saw an interview with McDaniel where he said he does prefer big OL - but they do need to be athletic. I think athleticism comes first, so those are the types of linemen we'll have to keep an eye out for in FA and the draft. If the Niners allow guard Laken Tomlinson to hit free agency, I bet he jumps to #1 on the Dolphins want list.

And yes, I am VERY excited at the thought of having a true FB on the Dolphins. Fortunately, this draft class has a bunch of good ones - which is not usually the case.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:30 am

I probably shouldn't post this because now we will all be bitterly disappointed if we can't land Fangio.

Great read on his scheme and how it's being "copied" across the league by coaches who have learned how to run it: https://weeklyspiral.com/2021/09/02/why-the-vic-fangio-scheme-is-sweeping-the-nfl/#:~:text=Here%2C%20Fangio%20is%20using%203,dropping%20as%20a%20zone%20defender.

Here's one clip from the article:

Vic Fangio is huge on zone coverage and moving players around and that allows the secondary to make plays on the ball. He likes his safeties to be interchangeable and flexible so he can be more unpredictable. His scheme implements some man-coverage principles and creates a lot of versatility in his defensive calls.

I would guess his scheme would be really effective with our secondary, not only at corner - we have two excellent, playmaking safeties.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:10 am

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/takeaway-on-the-miami-dolphinson-hiring-mike-mcdaniel

Here's something to keep in mind as we look back on McDaniel's time in charge of the 49ers running game. In his first years as either run game coordinator or offensive coordinator, the 49ers had five different rushing leaders: Carlos Hyde, Matt Breida, Raheem Mostert, Jeff Wilson and Elijah Mitchell.

Mitchell was a sixth-round pick in 2021, but Wilson, Mostert and Breida all entered the NFL as undrafted free agents, so maybe we shouldn't automatically assume the Dolphins will be taking a running back early in the 2022 draft to make McDaniel's running game work at peak efficiency.

We're not saying that's the right way to go, we're just saying to be prepared for another draft without an early-round running back.

I may be in the minority here, but this makes my point exactly.  YOU DON'T NEED to draft a running back early, or pay for a high priced free agent, or trade for Alvin Kamara or CMC.  An effective running scheme can be implemented that will utilize the talents of even journeyman running backs, and can make them successful.

I would dedicate draft resources and salary cap space to the offensive line, edge rushers, receivers.  I would be just fine going into the season with Duke Johnson, Lindsay, and Gaskin at RB along with a true fullback.  Watch them be successful under McDaniel's scheme.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:13 am

I believe Mostert is a FA - keep an eye on him for sure.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next